Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration (46348 Views)

How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Information About Canada Migration With SSCE / Canada Migration....... The Secrets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Eagba(m): 11:40pm On Feb 17, 2023
Karleb:

Now we have true and false introverts?

Anyway, if the life you live is so perfect, why try to adjust it? undecided
Uncle you might think you are an introvert where as you are just shy, lack confidence and have a low self esteem. That is different

I can also see that you're pain cos some introverts describe their life as cool and serene, if you are not a blabber mouth like the ex... that you are, you will know that nothing is perfect

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Banbanna(m): 12:15am On Feb 18, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020, I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

I'm an introvert and I like my introversion. It gives me a lot of time to think and to be in my own space which I enjoy a lot. I read, write and love to watch documentaries. Those are the three most important things to me in life. When I lived in Nigeria, I lived a mostly secluded life that didn't have a lot of people in it. Regardless, it wasn't boring to me. I went out when I wanted to and took my time for my own activities.

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one key point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

That's about it. I think these are some of the challenges Nigerian immigrants face. But the real question is, do I feel lonely?

The honest answer to that is a No. I find that my life is exactly the same way I lived it in Nigeria, only a lot more convenient and comfortable. I can't trade this for anything. In addition, as an introvert who likes to be by herself anyways, it's just a lot more enjoyable.

Nevertheless, there are steps I'm planning to take to change a few things. I am now taking more opportunities to actually go out and buy things even if I don't have to, e.g groceries, clothes, etc. Secondly, I say hello first to strangers and neighbours and get to ask them a few questions. This I wouldn't have done on the first place. Finally, I downloaded a social media application called clubhouse and have been making new friends in my area using this. As a cautious person, I'm taking baby steps here and not jumping straight into friendships I may not like.

Overall, what do I think of being in Canada as an introvert? I enjoy it. My life and choices are a lot better and I find that I have the time to do much more than I was doing back in Nigeria, not hampered by lack of power or resources.

My advice to others is to gauge their expectations carefully as they come to Canada with or without family. It can be lonely here, but that's not because Canada itself is lonely. It's just because you need to dig deep and find yourself in a new country where family is absent and culture is unfamiliar.

It makes me wonder your choice of this moniker, Confusedgirlie, when you're anything but that in the first place. I mean you pretty much seem like someone who's very self-aware and knows what's best for her. So, I don't understand where this your so called confusion is coming from. 🙂
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Karleb(m): 12:37am On Feb 18, 2023
Eagba:
Uncle you might think you are an introvert where as you are just shy, lack confidence and have a low self esteem. That is different

I can also see that you're pain cos some introverts describe their life as cool and serene, if you are not a blabber mouth like the ex... that you are, you will know that nothing is perfect

This is what I love about extroverts.

They don't care about all these things you people say, they just live.

Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by GPAdams(m): 12:44am On Feb 18, 2023
Edc2:
You are in which province and from which part of nigeria I am in Toronto and from southwest

See afonja weh think say e get sense.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 1:03am On Feb 18, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020, I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

I'm an introvert and I like my introversion. It gives me a lot of time to think and to be in my own space which I enjoy a lot. I read, write and love to watch documentaries. Those are the three most important things to me in life. When I lived in Nigeria, I lived a mostly secluded life that didn't have a lot of people in it. Regardless, it wasn't boring to me. I went out when I wanted to and took my time for my own activities.

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one key point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

That's about it. I think these are some of the challenges Nigerian immigrants face. But the real question is, do I feel lonely?

The honest answer to that is a No. I find that my life is exactly the same way I lived it in Nigeria, only a lot more convenient and comfortable. I can't trade this for anything. In addition, as an introvert who likes to be by herself anyways, it's just a lot more enjoyable.

Nevertheless, there are steps I'm planning to take to change a few things. I am now taking more opportunities to actually go out and buy things even if I don't have to, e.g groceries, clothes, etc. Secondly, I say hello first to strangers and neighbours and get to ask them a few questions. This I wouldn't have done on the first place. Finally, I downloaded a social media application called clubhouse and have been making new friends in my area using this. As a cautious person, I'm taking baby steps here and not jumping straight into friendships I may not like.

Overall, what do I think of being in Canada as an introvert? I enjoy it. My life and choices are a lot better and I find that I have the time to do much more than I was doing back in Nigeria, not hampered by lack of power or resources.

My advice to others is to gauge their expectations carefully as they come to Canada with or without family. It can be lonely here, but that's not because Canada itself is lonely. It's just because you need to dig deep and find yourself in a new country where family is absent and culture is unfamiliar.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 1:13am On Feb 18, 2023
Edc2:

You mean she is fake the few blacks I have seen on match and zoosk are over 39 which app is the best to meet my african damsels in canada
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 1:14am On Feb 18, 2023
ednut1:
hinge and bumble
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Gerrard59(m): 3:06am On Feb 18, 2023
ednut1:
they are clowns to me. You could not find a man while in Nigeria that had over 100m men. But you expect to find a man in a country where less than 200k 9ja men dey . People are not that crazy about marriage in the western world cos of the divorce laws. They also dont want to do 50:50, They also want religious men in a country where only old people go to church.One of my female friends dey tell me she is looking for a man from anambra that is a catholic too. This is a 32 years old babe o. 🤡🤡

She still dey look for that kind of man up till now? grin grin grin

Honestly, I find it very funny. Human beings are necessarily optimistic.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Gerrard59(m): 3:09am On Feb 18, 2023
ecolime:
This life ehn... You can't have it all.

Same thing my unmarried peeps abroad are facing. Always depressed & bored as fck.

What's the essence of working 247, no time to rest and no one to share life memories with? cry

Here in Naija, some make good money, are in quality relationships, yet the environment and government frustrates the hell out of you

Now imagine what people without good jobs face.

Whether home or abroad, just choose your type of pain and live with it if there's nothing you can do about it.

GBAM!

For a black African man though, with a stable source of income, he still has options in having sex or marriage.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Gerrard59(m): 3:12am On Feb 18, 2023
planetx:
Conji is killing most Nigerian men abroad, that is why they all rush home regularly to quench the conji. Most Nigerian men married or single visiting Nigeria from abroad are visiting primarily for sex and you better believe that.

For once, we agree on something. grin
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Gerrard59(m): 3:24am On Feb 18, 2023
Klass99:

You mean before you left Nigeria for Canada, right? Please modify your first sentence to reflect what you mean so your username is not a reality here grin.

I enjoyed the account of your experience in Canada and I appreciate that you didn't spew negativity, trash talk or diss Nigeria, your home country. I can't tell you how sickening and off putting that behaviour has become from Nigerian diasporans who do it.

I have a friend overseas who migrated on a scholarship for study around the same time you did. Every conversation and interaction with her mentally and emotionally drains me, leaving me exhausted afterwards. She is full of the sort of bile, negativity, criticism and judgment of Naija I hate hearing. This is someone who gets moral and financial support back home, from Nigerians still living in Nigeria. Yet, her diss of an entire country and its people never ends, no be ment be that?

I particularly like the bolded parts of your text and wish you well on your new life in Canada. Thank you for not joining the herd or being part of the horrible statistics of Naija trash talkers.

She is being hypocritical and has not analysed the entire situation very well. Although, I can understand her issues with Nigeria, but Nigeria does have some good parts - good weather, communal system, people who look like you etc. My major issues are the poor infrastructure and lack of security. I really dread place where kasala fit happen anytime. It is why I am a big fan of places like Namibia, Botswana and even Barbados.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Adex2442: 6:01am On Feb 18, 2023
highchief1:
lol why do u think most Nigerians abroad don’t want to return again even if they are not making it.Women here are very easy.No1 no woman here will give u their number if they are not ready to lash.No2 they are matured and don’t talk plenty talk once they enter ur house.No3 they eat from their house because they know they may not be able to eat Nigerian food or something else u will offer them.Nigerian girls r too hungry once they know they are having a date tomorrow from today they won’t eat again.A glass of white or red wine here u don tidy.all this pls stop,why are u doing this?is this why u invited me to ur place,it’s our first meeting this is not right.if u touch me again I’ll pick my bag and go.I never hear all those nonsense since I come here.But mind u,the Uber is expensive o.we Dey use 30k to and fro to Uber girl.if her place far u fit pay 50k sef.Nigeria remains cheaper though.cos with 5k then I Dey tidy well.

It's till far better there. Nigerian gals are too demanding

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by emoboy4u: 9:54am On Feb 18, 2023
scrolldown88:

If you're life was so enjoyable and perfect, why then do you speak of implementing those measures to change it. Your entire post is a bit contradictory.

I find that most introverts are not being entirely honest with their introversion and desire to socialize. For the most part, a lot know that there's a void of social interaction that they yearn to be filled. But they talk as if they're living in paradise, yet talk within the same epistle, talk of implementing measures to switch up their supposedly perfect life. It's contradictory.
It's also an introvert delimma. I say this cuz I'm one
Thank you for this. As an introvert myself, I know how many opportunities I have missed just because of lack of social skills. It's a weakness that needs to be worked on and not enjoyed

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 18, 2023
emoboy4u:
Thank you for this. As an introvert myself, I know how many opportunities I have missed just because of lack of social skills. It's a weakness that needs to be worked on and not enjoyed
Being an introvert and lacking social skills are two different things

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Klass99(f): 1:57pm On Feb 18, 2023
smiley

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Adex2442: 2:11pm On Feb 18, 2023
highchief1:
lol why do u think most Nigerians abroad don’t want to return again even if they are not making it.Women here are very easy.No1 no woman here will give u their number if they are not ready to lash.No2 they are matured and don’t talk plenty talk once they enter ur house.No3 they eat from their house because they know they may not be able to eat Nigerian food or something else u will offer them.Nigerian girls r too hungry once they know they are having a date tomorrow from today they won’t eat again.A glass of white or red wine here u don tidy.all this pls stop,why are u doing this?is this why u invited me to ur place,it’s our first meeting this is not right.if u touch me again I’ll pick my bag and go.I never hear all those nonsense since I come here.But mind u,the Uber is expensive o.we Dey use 30k to and fro to Uber girl.if her place far u fit pay 50k sef.Nigeria remains cheaper though.cos with 5k then I Dey tidy well.

Which country u dey and how many black and white u done nack so far

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Nezzjnr: 4:58pm On Feb 18, 2023
Adex2442:

Which country u dey and how many black and white u done nack so far
I was just laughing when I read that comment.

I no wan talk too much cheesy
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Snakedoctor1: 5:02pm On Feb 18, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

Canada is way better than continental Europe in this respect. look for Nigerian community and the African churches. You will find our that the 'owanbee' around you is more groovier than anything in Lagos. But, but, be careful doing this else you get entangled in drug deals.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Gerrard59(m): 6:23pm On Feb 18, 2023
Klass99:

There is a global cost of living crises and insecurity in .
Sure. I perfectly understand you. Japa newbies should assimilate into their new environments. On the other hand, sometimes, I think it's kinda of anger with the system in Nigeria. There's this anger one will have with the way things are done in Nigeria, after experiencing how things work elsewhere. It can annoy one that he or she has to leave his/her abode to enjoy basic amenities and a functioning system.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Klass99(f): 6:29pm On Feb 18, 2023
smiley

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Adex2442: 8:19pm On Feb 18, 2023
Nezzjnr:

I was just laughing when I read that comment.

I no wan talk too much cheesy

Why u dey laugh
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 12:24am On Feb 19, 2023
Klass99:

Whatever the issues you all have with Nigeria, please know that grumbling, complaining, words of criticism and negativity are not a good look on anyone. It's like perspiration (excessive body sweat) and a huge turn off.

You have japa-ed, focus on making a new life and enjoying your new country of residence. Leave Nigeria with its many issues alone! If all you are going to do is whine, complain and diss without being part of the solution then please keep quiet I don't want to hear it.

I have another friend overseas who feels the same way I do. She has met several immigrants from middle east countries like Iran, Syria etc who have terrible challenges in their home countries as well, but she said they don't moan, complain or trash talk their countries needlessly like we Nigerians do, home and abroad.

There is a global cost of living crises and insecurity in other countries, the challenges in Naija are not unique or peculiar to us alone, so why do we often feel the need to wail the loudest and wail the most? Na only us waka come? I have started distancing myself from such people and such talk, people like my friend and the Nigeria is a shit-hole crew. I can do without their negativity!

PS: I am speaking generally and not specifically to you, so don't misunderstand me.
Nicely put.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Klass99(f): 12:25am On Feb 19, 2023

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 1:19am On Feb 19, 2023
Klass99:

wink. Thank you
You're welcome @Klass99. I love your solution-based, positive energy here... Take care. wink
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by MisterKennedy(m): 2:05am On Feb 19, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

Hello lady... good morning to you... And happy Sunday to you.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by kelvindj98: 11:13am On Feb 19, 2023
deyplay:
baba, why u dey pay her uber na? Na escort? No be friend?
You dey mind am. Instead make him confess say him dey carry olosho for there him dey claim fwb. Na escorts and onlyfans models full tinder and the likes for yankee and canada nowadays.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 11:15am On Feb 19, 2023
Shikena:
While the US is totally different from Canada due to many factors, some still complain about loneliness. It was never a concern for me despite being borderline introvert. When I got to the US, I easily met so many people at my apartment gym, then a bit more at the library.

For my baddest friend who later hooked me up with a lovely Nigerian lady, and many others that were too wild for me, I met him at an IT Tech convention downtown. I later found out there are many families known to my family and friends all over the place and nearby cities.

These countries are advanced and there are many physical events and conferences going on every month. Use your head, be innovative. Upward mobile, well educated, young Nigerians are always there. A smart way is to first find someone of same sex as buddy, get the good looking social type even if you don't drink, they will hook you up.

Loneliness is exaggerated, it's often a choice as you always have options. For many, they just love it and it's no issue.
Impressive submissions.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by XAUBulls: 6:18pm On Feb 19, 2023
ope19:
I am currently experiencing the same thing. Will start going out more soon
Way to go!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by ope19: 2:49pm On Feb 20, 2023
Nwachi22:

Story of my life. I’m in Guelph, Ontario.
I’ve never been this lonely.
I miss my friends and family

I school in Guelph but I decided not to stay there 😁 because Toronto is more lively
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by MissTemi1(f): 11:48am On Feb 26, 2023
U better cry blood from now till tomorrow. Doesn’t change the fact that u are a bitter fool. Pity the simp I married, it is ur cup
StrongAlphMale:

From your comment, it's so obvious you're not happy with your marriage else you wouldn't have come here to rant and wail. Very obvious you have other guys banging your pussy on a steady. I really Pity the SIMP dude that married you. Such a pity
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by LittleBigDick(m): 2:47pm On Feb 26, 2023
Na mumu day go Canada

It's much better in Sweden here Where Scandinavian women na them day rush us black men

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 / NAF Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna / Trump's Fan Who Wants To Run Away From The US Trailed By Hilarious Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.