Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me (3806 Views)

Roby Ekpo & Mayowa Lambe-Ekpo Pre-Wedding Photos: Strangling & Dragging / After All This Sufferings, One Girl Is Dragging Me To Shoprite - Man Laments / Why Would Aunty Bath In Front Of Her Mature Nephew? Is She Giving Signals To Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 8:40pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nairalanders how do you tackle this kind of problem especially when it has to do with family and property
My nephew is dragging right with me over our family house his father was my elder brother and the first born in our family we where five in number 2 boys and 3 girls although my female siblings are married .
My parents left us with a family house as the where now late so my brother lives in the landlord palour which was a self con apartment when he was alive although his relationship with his wife didn't work out as the woman wasn't married by my brother but she had kids for him now after my brother death I moved to the apartment as and started living there although I did a little renovation on it and others .
Until I have to travel all in the hustle although I was still in Nigeria but I moved to the northern part of Nigeria only to receive calls from my neighbors that my nephew has break into my apartment and do some retouching in my own house
Note there was never a time I ask them to live the compound or anything infact this is a family house as everyone has a room why must it be that my own.
I need advice as am very very pissed off
I brought this here for wiser contribution
Modifying[b][/b]
The thing is that this boy am talking about went to HK only to pick money from it as I heard only to come to break into my own apartment if he thinks he needs a room there are many there it's is literally insulting
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by gaby(m): 8:40pm On Jan 24, 2023
This is a very dicey and sensitive one to advise you on based on the fact that as much as you should have more right to him as regards your late father's property, however, as Africans who practice a patrilineal system of inheritance, that might be where his entitled guts are emanating from.

You can put him in his place though but if you can avoid any confrontations with him and good on your own, it'd be best to just ignore his kindergarten sense of entitlement and keep doing you.

Do well to make him understand you have a stake in the house as much as his dad did and you won't tolerate his arrogance and disrespect.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by ThoughtOfYou: 8:40pm On Jan 24, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]

Reading....
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Blake755: 8:44pm On Jan 24, 2023
Gobe make I grab sit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Candidlady: 8:48pm On Jan 24, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by DaddyRochie1642: 8:51pm On Jan 24, 2023
This is a very delicate case. Thread lightly, people loose their lives in cases like this

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 8:52pm On Jan 24, 2023
gaby:
This is a very dicey and sensitive one to advise you on based on the fact that as much as you should have more right to him as regards your late father's property, however, as Africans who practice a patrilineal system of inheritance, that might be where his entitled guts are emanating from.

You can put him in his place though but if you can avoid any confrontations with him and good on your own, it'd be best to just ignore his kindergarten sense of entitlement and keep doing you.

Do well to make him understand you have a stake in the house as much as his dad did and you won't tolerate his arrogance and disrespect.
Hmm the thing is that he break into my apartment renovate the ceiling and change the painting does it mean I will have to forfeit that very self con of course I never denied him access to some rooms there
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by gaby(m): 8:54pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Hmm the thing is that he break into my apartment renovate the ceiling and change the painting does it mean I will have to forfeit that very self con of course I never denied him access to some rooms there

He feels entitled and sees you as taking over the part that belonged to his father and by extension his inheritance.

Just be wise and smart about it because such an entitled boy can do and undo to have his way.

He's got people behind, beating the drums and clapping for the dance he has embarked upon.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 8:59pm On Jan 24, 2023
gaby:

He feels entitled and sees you as taking over the part that belonged to his father and by extension should be his inheritance.

Just be wise and smart about it because such an entitled boy can do and undo to have his way.

He's got people behind, beating the drums and clapping for the dance he has embarked upon.
Yeah that's the truth the fact is that I called this boy to ask him if he didn't see other room to renovate he said he doesn't own me any explanation
The bitter truth is that my parents literally spent everything they had trying to send him to school before I could grow up the are already aged because I was the last born I couldn't reach University although we didn't have any bad blood but it is very insulting to me
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 9:00pm On Jan 24, 2023
DaddyRochie1642:
This is a very delicate case. Thread lightly, people loose their lives in cases like this
Does it mean I will have to forfeit that very apartment
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by DaddyRochie1642: 9:00pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

That means this person you're talking about is even an adult for him to even change the ceiling and change painting.

Yes you have a stake in that house, but'll it'll be wiser to just let him have the place since his father was your elder brother and out of respect for your Elder brother but let him know in clear terms that his actions were disrespectful and insulting to your personality.

It's not easy to remain calm while addressing this issue, but try your best and remain calm.

4 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 9:05pm On Jan 24, 2023
DaddyRochie1642:

That means this person you're talking about is even an adult for him to even change the ceiling and change painting.

Yes you have a stake in that house, but'll it'll be wiser to just let him have the place since his father was your elder brother and out of respect for your Elder brother but let him know in clear terms that his actions were disrespectful and insulting to your personality.

It's not easy to remain calm while addressing this issue, but try your best and remain calm.
Hmm the thing is that my female siblings never wanted to have anything to do the wife for reason best know to them although I don't bear any grudges especially the children I took them like my family u know we men are easy going but it is very insulting he didn't even bother to inform me or anything of course the still have right as I never denied them living there .
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by gaby(m): 9:06pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Yeah that's the truth the fact is that I called this boy to ask him if he didn't see other room to renovate he said he doesn't own me any explanation
The bitter truth is that my parents literally spent everything they had trying to send him to school before I could grow up the are already aged because I was the last born I couldn't reach University although we didn't have any bad blood but it is very insulting to me

Just thread with caution and ignore him. At least, you have a life aside from the family house so, you should be good.

1 Like

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by DaddyRochie1642: 9:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Yes sir, do it out of respect you have for your elder brother. But call your nephew, let the environment not be tensed, control the conversation and let him know that you'll have left the place for him out of respect you have for his father which is your elder brother and his actions that he took When you weren't around by breaking into your apartment and changing ceiling and paint Is disrespectful and insulting.

Please be calm while saying this because I know It won't be easy so that the situation will not escalate further, if the guy has sense, he'll apologize and even respect you more.

You just have to swallow your pride and ego as a man to handle this situation expertly and peacefully.

The guy Is not on your level by any means even if he's financially more buoyant than you. Show him that you're mentally miles ahead of him.

Good luck

15 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Justbehave(m): 9:13pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Hmm the thing is that my female siblings never wanted to have anything to do the wife for reason best know to them although I don't bear any grudges especially the children I took them like my family u know we men are easy going but it is very insulting he didn't even bother to inform me or anything of course the still have right as I never denied them living there .
Pls where is the said house located? In the village or city? Which tribe are you? This will help me make my input.

1 Like

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by DaddyRochie1642: 9:17pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Yes sir, do it out of respect you have for your elder brother. But call your nephew, let the environment not be tensed, control the conversation and let him know that you'll have left the place for him out of respect you have for his father which is your elder brother and his actions that he took When you weren't around by breaking into your apartment and changing ceiling and paint Is disrespectful and insulting.

Please be calm while saying this because I know It won't be easy so that the situation will not escalate further, if the guy has sense, he'll apologize and even respect you more.

You just have to swallow your pride and ego as a man to handle this situation expertly and peacefully.

The guy Is not on your level by any means even if he's financially more buoyant than you. Show him that you're mentally miles ahead of him.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by DaddyRochie1642: 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Yes sir, do it out of respect you have for your elder brother. But call your nephew face to face, let the environment not be tensed, control the conversation and let him know that you'll have left the place for him out of respect you have for his father which is your elder brother and his actions that he took When you weren't around by breaking into your apartment and changing ceiling and paint Is disrespectful and insulting.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Blake755: 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
DaddyRochie1642:

Good luck
Op follow this advice although e go hard for you to swallow your pride and ego
farano
Rocktation
Do the needful

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 9:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
Justbehave:
Pls where is the said house located? In the village or city? Which tribe are you? This will help me make my input.
Village am from South East
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 9:42pm On Jan 24, 2023
Cc: seun: Nlfmod: lets discuss something about this matter
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Justbehave(m): 9:42pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

. The house belongs to your late father and his father being the first son of your father automatically owns the house and we call it isi obi in Igbo. . In such instance,his late father inherited the house from your dad as his first son by tradition therefore the house belongs to the first son of your late brother. I think the elders in your village should explain this things to you.But assuming the said house is located in the city then he has no right whatsoever to inherit it. It will all belong to the entire family.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Anal55: 9:53pm On Jan 24, 2023
Justbehave:
. The house belongs to your late father and his father being the first son of your father automatically owns the house and we call it isi obi in Igbo. . In such instance,his late father inherited the house from your dad as his first son by tradition therefore the house belongs to the first son of your late brother. I think the elders in your village should explain this things to you.But assuming the said house is located in the city then he has no right whatsoever to inherit it. It will all belong to the entire family.
Hmm the fact is you missed the part where I said he didn't marry the woman also he didn't build the house does it mean I have to forfeit the apartment
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Justbehave(m): 9:59pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

Hmm the fact is you missed the part where I said he didn't marry the woman also he didn't build the house does it mean I have to forfeit the apartment
That he didn't marry the woman does not make him stop being your late brothers surviving son. He doesn't need to build the house since by tradition it is his father's inheritance from your late dad as his first son and as for forfeiting the house,this can only be possible when you have your own house meaning he can't eject you because you are still a son of your father.The Isi obi in Igbo culture belongs to the first son once their father is late.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Blake755: 10:03pm On Jan 24, 2023
Justbehave:
That he didn't marry the woman does not make him stop being your late brothers surviving son. He doesn't need to build the house since by tradition it is his father's inheritance from your late dad as his first son and as for forfeiting the house,this can only be possible when you have your own house meaning he can't eject you because you are still a son of your father.The Isi obi in Igbo culture belongs to the first son once their father is late.
Wow is good to know tradition oo I hope the op go listen he might think his ego is at stake lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:44pm On Jan 24, 2023
Justbehave:

Supreme Court has quashed this.

Every child has same statutory right to inherit his father's properties whether male or female.

I will only advocate for peaceful resolution of the matter.

2 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Justbehave(m): 10:47pm On Jan 24, 2023
Blake755:

Wow is good to know tradition oo I hope the op go listen he might think his ego is at stake lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
The truth is that the elders in their village knows,that's why his nephew has an upper hand. But be it as it maybe his nephew was supposed to inform him before tempering with his own personal room/ rooms.

1 Like

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Justbehave(m): 10:50pm On Jan 24, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

Supreme Court has quashed this.

Every child has same statutory right to inherit his father's properties whether male or female.

I will only advocate for peaceful resolution of the matter.
Don't say what you don't know. Like I said,if it is a city house all owns it but as long as its an isi obi in the village,it belongs to his elder brother by tradition and culture hence belongs to his elder brothers son.
But then,he has no right to eject him. He can only leave if he feels like.

4 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by ExudeLoveToAll: 11:02pm On Jan 24, 2023
Justbehave:
Don't say what you don't know. Like I said,if it is a city house all owns it but as long as its an isi obi in the village,it belongs to his elder brother by tradition and culture hence belongs to his elder brothers son.

You don't seem to understand that that custom has been quashed by the supreme Court.

They may choose to meet the chief and he then passes his decision based on your assertion. Once the matter goes beyond the chief and heads to court the chiefs will loose it so says the court.

What you asserted is like talking just a leap in a race, it remains an illegality as it stands today. Whether they take that stand or not is immaterial.
Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by Justbehave(m): 11:09pm On Jan 24, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

You don't seem to understand that that custom has been quashed by the supreme Court.

They may choose to meet the chief and he then passes his decision based on your assertion. Once the matter goes beyond the chief and heads to court the chiefs will loose it so says the court.

What you asserted is like talking just a leap in a race, it remains an illegality as it stands today. Whether they take that stand or not is immaterial.

And you think court doesn't respect culture and traditions? Do you also know that we still have customary courts in Nigeria?If he decides to go to court,fine but mind you that our judicial system is not steady and might swindle to any angle. Best for him is to calm down and live with him peacefully until he is able to get his own Ala ubi and build his house.

6 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:28pm On Jan 24, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

..... You are correct but not every cultural or traditional matters goes to court.

What justbehave said is also correct. Let me give an example.

Let's say a first class king has 4 male children and he dies,the first son takes over the mantle and as long as that first son of the late king has a son too that his son will eventually takes over the mantle when his father dies. Have you ever wondered why the kingship doesn't go over to the second son of the late king if his first son dies? That's tradition.

The only circumstance that will make the second or third sons of the king to become king is if the first son of the king does not bear a male child.

Courts won't even listen to you when you bring up such cases.

Example is the late king of Ubulu kingdom.

6 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by flourishing247: 11:58pm On Jan 24, 2023
Anal55:

If the room was his father's room then he has more right to it than you. According to tradition, you were not supposed to have moved into the space since your brother has a son. You are meant to be a custodian of your brother's stuff until his sons become of age.
If you take this issue to umu nna, the honest ones will tell you the truth. Let this matter rest to avoid deeper family issues. I know you feel disrespected but let it go.

12 Likes

Re: My Nephew Is Dragging My Family Right With Me by flourishing247: 12:02am On Jan 25, 2023
Justbehave:

Save your energy. Eyes go soon clear them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Your First Love May Not Be Your True Love. / Dilemma Of Two Boyfriends / Ladies:-why The Craze For Pink Lips???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.