Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF (9821 Views)

Use AI On Whatsapp To Study, Solve Maths, Ask Questions, And More In Real Time / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Solve Maths And Earn Withrawable Cash Instantly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by spinna: 8:03am On Jan 25, 2023
This portends danger in future . I see compulsory adult education becoming a thing in future.. we cannot expect to move forward when our people are empty headed

2 Likes

Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by consy14: 8:04am On Jan 25, 2023
I don't believe this. Here in my state, Anambra, more than 80 percent of that age can read extremely well. I believe same goes to other States in Nigeria.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by traihit: 8:05am On Jan 25, 2023
iLoveYouToo:

Your 75% should be urban literacy level

Dude!!! First off, not up to half the kids in northern Nigeria are literate. Add the illiterate kids from other regions. Ps how did you arrive at 75% literacy?

I’m patriotic but truth be told, the child illiteracy level in the north is super high.

You're mentioning the North and talking to the ignorant dude that is only defending his paymasters.

I know what I experienced as a youth corp member even in Southeast and later when I taught in some secondary schools in Oyo State.

Have you ever seen an SS2 student who couldn't read a single line of sentence before?

I saw a class of SS2 who couldn't do that in Oyo State. A lot of children and in fact teenagers are been deprived daily and it's sad. Everything can't be politics

These children become agberos, Igbos, boko haram etc and they disturb the entire country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by od501: 8:07am On Jan 25, 2023
post=120353552:
Dem Boku for dis side.

Dem illiterate children of hate, frustrations and perdition that believe the president of everyone in their family died and was cloned or was replaced by a Jubril from their father's village.
Because a bastard and illiterate called cownu told them so
Just imagine the kinda stupidity.
Illiterate everywhere.
Tufiakwa tongue tongue tongue

So... Why Una so called president so afraid to sue the illustrate based this so called baseless accusations? Just dey play. Una illiteracy is out of world.

Even till date, he hasn't come out to prove one single accusation wrong! Till date, your double cannot do a single interview without it being recorded. Can the so called president even do a live interview?
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by od501: 8:08am On Jan 25, 2023
traihit:

You're mentioning the North and talking to the ignorant dude that is only defending his paymasters.

I know what I experienced as a youth corp member even in Southeast and later when I taught in some secondary schools in Oyo State.

Have you ever seen an SS2 student who couldn't read a single line of sentence before?

I saw a class of SS2 who couldn't do that in Oyo State. A lot of children and in fact teenagers are been deprived daily and it's sad. Everything can't be politics

These children become agberos, Igbos, boko haram etc and they disturb the entire country.

Oga... Remove IPOB from your stupid analysis! Illiterate wan teach illiterate! Wahala!
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by GeneralPula: 8:13am On Jan 25, 2023
If they can’t read English, let them read yoruba or Hausa or Igbo..
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by Hawkler: 8:16am On Jan 25, 2023
UNICEF might be right with the ascertainment because mathematics is like a nightmare, so that turn off pupils and students interest making it seems like it impossible to attempt and understand by them. The sound of it repels the mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by wirinet(m): 8:18am On Jan 25, 2023
traihit:

Don't mind them. Can't ve truthful for once. Always revelling in lies and deceit in order to prop up their ego. Many secondary school students even in the east cannot read well or solve simple algebra. Public schools are worse.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by wirinet(m): 8:22am On Jan 25, 2023
od501:

Oga... Remove IPOB from your stupid analysis! Illiterate wan teach illiterate! Wahala!

Local IPOB members are mainly semi illiterates who are brainwashed and controlled by the more literate foreign based leaders. Its impossible to have a rational conversation with an ipob member.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by descarado: 8:28am On Jan 25, 2023
Acidosis:

Some of you will just sit in Lagos and be typing nonsense about Nigeria.
The confidence with which they dish out unverified facts is shocking.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by traihit: 8:29am On Jan 25, 2023
od501:

Wetin this one dey yarn?

You're so much detached from where you come from to the extent that the truth scares you....but it's the truth anyway.

A lot of Ipobian foot soldiers are illiterates and that's the truth. So either drink water to that or keep fuming. It's none of my business.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by Badonasty(m): 8:31am On Jan 25, 2023
Lol….rubbish statistics
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by od501: 8:47am On Jan 25, 2023
traihit:

Wetin this one dey yarn?

You're so much detached from where you come from to the extent that the truth scares you....but it's the truth anyway.

A lot of Ipobian foot soldiers are illiterates and that's the truth. So either drink water to that or keep fuming. It's none of my business.

Remove IPOB from your stupid analysis. Thank you!
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by zinaunreal(m): 8:54am On Jan 25, 2023
Nobody cares anymore about that crap
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by od501: 8:56am On Jan 25, 2023
wirinet:

Local IPOB members are mainly semi illiterates who are brainwashed and controlled by the more literate foreign based leaders. Its impossible to have a rational conversation with an ipob member.

That is not true sir, I doubt you have engaged any IPOB member, no matter how low his level of formal education is.

They may not have all the evidential aura, but it will now be left for you as educated individual to make further research on on their claim (which is usually correct).

On the contrary, I think those we still believe in one Nigeria are the ones who are brainwashed. Have you tried to engage a "one Nigeriana?"

None of them, and I mean...none can mention one rational reason Nigeria should continue to be one country. None. I have engaged both parties, and I know this for a fact.

If you doubt me, put it to a test, and try involving the North. Only then will you see how brainwashed these fellows are.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by charlesdinho7(m): 8:56am On Jan 25, 2023
i started reading while in primary school but mathematics is my problem even as a university graduate
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by Octobertwentysix(f): 8:57am On Jan 25, 2023
post=120353552:
Dem Boku for dis side.

Dem illiterate children of hate, frustrations and perdition that believe the president of everyone in their family died and was cloned or was replaced by a Jubril from their father's village.
Because a bastard and illiterate called cownu told them so
Just imagine the kinda stupidity.
Illiterate everywhere.
Tufiakwa tongue tongue tongue

See MUMU, the post is about out of school children, children between the ages of 7 to 14 and you are here talking about politics, what is wrong with you, how do we take these young innocent children off the streets and back to school but as usual your minute brain can't function well unless you show your stupidity online, what a waste of sperm and ovum you are. SHAME
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:58am On Jan 25, 2023
Nigerians do no tell themselves the truth. Having worked the breath of this country, I can attest to the very low literacy rate.

In many part of the Eastern villages Igbo language is the only language they understand. When I worked in many of the Yoruba states, I found it almost the same, despite the face that the Yoruba's pride themselves as the most educated. Delta, Benin and Rivers are not left out. I would imagine the North is worse, but I do not have personal experience of this part of the country.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by Sintim(f): 9:07am On Jan 25, 2023
Solving Maths=Yes....Not been able to read= Not correct
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:19am On Jan 25, 2023
Hobbiton:
u fucking hypocrite

If you really want answers you’ll elucidate, maybe we’d learn a thing or two from each other.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by daveP(m): 9:23am On Jan 25, 2023
Not sure about 75, but it is above 59%

Corpers posted to schools are the ones that know this.

Millions of kids in jss can't even write the lord's prayer despite being in orthodox church schools.

Many cant spell despite having a good English tutor in the school.
Some don't even have a qualified English teacher. Their parents aren't helping by downplaying the importance of learning the language at home. Constructing compound sentences is such a Herculean task, down to usage of tenses.

Give them comprehension passages and watch wonders worse than anything.

As for maths, Bodmas is an impossible situation for junior wassce students. Many even disappear from the class when the class is ongoing, especially those in public schools.

Infact, i think it's worse for the maths than for the English part. 10/10 with assignment wey na mumc do when pikin dey sleep.

Corpers dey see shege for schools.

The lack of concern is spreading as 'no be my papa language' plus. 'wetin i wan use maths do? Dangote study maths?'

So yes, it is very high for that age group. Very!!
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by Housing(m): 9:29am On Jan 25, 2023
That figure is not correct and the north have highest number of literates, ability to read and write is not measured only by Western education. First thing every Almagiri learn is how to read and write in Arabic language. And they are also taught Mathematics in Arabic before the age of 7.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by naturefellow(m): 9:53am On Jan 25, 2023
Peter Obi is the only presidential candidate that can turn this tide for good.

Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by cokeryusuf09(m): 9:54am On Jan 25, 2023
Napata77:
IT IS A LIE.

NIGERIA'S LITERACY RATE IS OVER 75%, SO HOW THE HELL CAN ONLY LESS THAN 25% OF KIDS BE ABLE TO READ?

UNESCO IDIOTS. ONE FOOL THERE WILL SIT IN AMERICA ON HIS COMPUTER AND TYPE UP ANY STUPID, NASTY, FAKE STATISTIC FROM HIS ANUS, JUST TO GET MORE FUNDING.
Nigeria dey use them to increase literacy through inaccurate research given to them, while govt spent money elsewhere.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by Mayeldah(m): 10:10am On Jan 25, 2023
This is not correct down south, maybe in the North where they priotise Islamic education over western basic education.

I think the South should have their own country, these guys up north are a problem to us
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by kazyhm(m): 10:14am On Jan 25, 2023
It is the education ministry that spoil the curricular........they substitute math for quantitative reasoning.......started teaching JSS 3 syllabus to kindergarten instead arithmetic and sentence construction.
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by cokeryusuf09(m): 10:14am On Jan 25, 2023
traihit:

The truth is that education and job are seen to go together, if educated people are not getting good salaries, the student start thinking otherwise and the campaign that goes as no white collar job. Even if they are taught for longer hours some won't yield to the teaching, some education na scam don finish dem, in Ibadan self na bobo dem dey do( codename for gboys). if student are unwilling to learn , you cannot do anything
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:19am On Jan 25, 2023
Northern children
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by udeh3(m): 10:27am On Jan 25, 2023
From our recent observations, it should be around 80%

This is why I decided out of my busy schedule to start teaching Mathematics online for free, sadly, very few embraced this

Check my topics on Nairaland, Mathematics classes takes almost all

Let's encourage our wards, children, friends and families to embrace Mathematics, even at a very tender age

Mathematics is a science of reasoning.

With Mathematics, every child is a genius
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by arantess: 10:32am On Jan 25, 2023
Many of them are on nairaland campaigning for APC failure
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by phemmyfour: 10:32am On Jan 25, 2023
Acidosis:

Some of you will just sit in Lagos and be typing nonsense about Nigeria.
Na Lagos be your problem
Re: 75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF by chrisbizplanner: 10:36am On Jan 25, 2023
adler777:
Mostly the north... Northern governors have to prioritize basic education. Not everything is about religion. Let children go to school and stop breeding a generation that can be brainwashed to go into criminal activities.

Political tool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oau Admission List / Uniben School Fees For Freshers / Federal Uni Ndufu-alike, Ebonyi State Updates Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.