Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? (9001 Views)

When Should A Lady Move Out Of Her Parent's House?? / For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by lovejo(m): 6:24am On Sep 08, 2011
There is a rule for this, if you have problem with your husband the right place to go is your father-in-law till everything is settle and if your father-in-law is just like your husband you need to file for divorce and be independent.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by Sacarstic: 7:13am On Sep 08, 2011
I think it is just a societal issue because we have refused to be civilized but as the saying goes it is only when you care to listen that it matters to you. I am of the opinion that the woman should rather hook up with a friend or get a little apartment if she has the financial muscle and move ahead with her life, Everyone is responsible for his/her own life.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by onyengbu: 7:42am On Sep 08, 2011
This girl that has been talking about running to mama and papa for support is obviously a teenager. Not because it is bad to run to then but she is overstretching it.
What about those whose mum and dad are dead? Where should they run to?
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by MikkyT1(m): 8:16am On Sep 08, 2011
An Uncle of mine is passing through this kind of mess now, of which the marriage is just 2years plus and a baby boy who is also 2 years now, The funiest part is part you really need to see the stress and pains we all went through in marrying this girl, Anyway sha everyone has the right to live and decide whats good for them, but it gonna b too late for the wife to understand what she has done to her life and that of the baby,

1 Like

Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by phuckNL: 8:23am On Sep 08, 2011
Hotie Tima:

well i don't go for that idea now renting a flat that's even worse to me i swear

coz that time of life when things get out of control u need your parents to be there, that's y they are called parent's for a reason. coz no matter where in life we go we will some how always need they help, even if it's mean coming form your marriage home to feel at home.

but thanks for your answer tho smiley smiley

You are the same person that stated that this african idea is archaic yet you don't want to grow up. If you are old enough to get married, move to your husbands house and then end up in a fight that requires you to leave your matrimonial home, you BETTER FIND AN APARTMENT TO RENT. Why on earth would you want to return to your parents house. If you cant stay in your husbands house, get your own place. GROW UP. GAAADEMMMIT.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by midep: 8:30am On Sep 08, 2011
Go and stay with ur Boyfriend pending when u pple settle, am sure dts wt u wanna hear cos all d advise given to you is nt suitable for u.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by hefner: 8:39am On Sep 08, 2011
if the marrige has become a threat to ur life, fleeee. cos if somethg happens and u die, these pple taking bad about a woman who leaves her matrimonial home will be the ones living their own lives or even blaming her for being  stupid enuf to hang in there if she finally dies. if they have sisters facing such, they will be  the first to whisk her out. in summary, u own ur life, u live it by ur standard nt by any one's statndard. pple will alwyz talk, it is natural.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by Becalm(m): 9:14am On Sep 08, 2011
A girl cannot return to her parent's house because it's no longer her home. Her home is with her husband cos they are now one in body and spirit. She ought to stay back and defend her home. Whose home shall a man run to if she has a wife who nags him to death or is determined to end his life (there are such women though few in number). Is it not funny if such a man returns to his father's house. Some persons on this forum will call him useless man. Every problem has a solution only if you are determined to solve it. God has given a woman plenty of powers to control a man and the home. These powers are manipultive in nature. Through submission and tenderness a woman can soften a man, manipulate and control him like toy cars. She can even deal with him at the appropriate time if she does not wish to forgive. In our time, women prefer the powers given to men, they prefer physical confrontations forgetting men are often physically inclined creating more problems rather than solutions. Until women view gender equality in its right perspective, and realize that their God given powers are much superior to men's power which makes them the home makers and home builders, there shall be less conflicts in the home, less divorce rates, stable marriages and definitely no need to go back to parents homes.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by DaDoctor: 9:22am On Sep 08, 2011
IN A GOOD CULTURED IGO HOME. IT IS A 'NO' NO'. ONCE U ARE OUT U MUST STRIVE TO BE OF GOOD BEHAVIOUR AND HANDLE UR HOME WELL. THOUGH IN EXTREME CASES THE FAMILIES OF THE BRIDE AND GROOM MAY COME IN TO CHIP IN WORDS, BUT THE WOMAN ISNT ALLOWED TO COME BACK HOME EXCEPT SHE WAS CAUGHT IN AN UNGODLY ACT .

BUT IN YORUBA LAND THAT I WAS BORN INTO. IT IS A WELLCOME DEVELOPMENT FOR THE RANDY LADY TO RUN BACK AND FORTH FROM HUBBY HOUSE TO FATHERS HOUSE.

THAT IS THE FACT. READ MY PROFILE MESSAGE.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by nassiwa: 9:42am On Sep 08, 2011
I would go back to my parents' home with no second thought in case of any Fight With my Husband.i dont see anything wrong with it. i would not mind about whatever people say If my parents are ready to welcome me.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by Honeycity(f): 10:00am On Sep 08, 2011
these days women hardly return to their parents home instead they move into their own personal house
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by blacklion(m): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2011
Theblessed:

[size=16pt] Marriage suppose to be full of joy, love and affection and not, battlefield of any kind.  

[/size]

Whoever told you that one has deceived you, please ask for refund of your money grin

Any grown azz woman who truly believes that stuff up there is a divorcee-in-waiting smiley
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by blackpanda: 10:54am On Sep 08, 2011
i was very interested when i read this blog because i am currently doing a research on women's rights in africa.
In my humble view, i believe one of the chief reasons why women can not go back to their parents houses, and also why the parents are often unwilling to accept the daughtser, stems from the issue of payment of bride price. Bride price in African culture more or less refers to the girl/lady being sold off to her husband, for some form of benefit or the other. Once sold, it becomes difficult for the product to be returned. (pls pardon my harsh language).
This system is also linked to the fact that in African culture, women are regarded as second class. A father would normally rejoice at the birth of a son, but if he gets a daughter it is usually with an air of dissappointment of remote tolerance. Africans put a high price on men over women. And what is worse is that even women have come to accept their own fate as "normal".
so, to answer the question, in traditional african society, a woman who has been abused by her husband can not run back to her own family home because that would open her family to public ridicule and disgrace.
However, the situation may be different in modern families, where both parents of the bride are well educated and exposed to other civilisations.
there is currently an international outcry to ban the payment of bride price as it leads to the discrimination, torture and unfair treatment of women.

1 Like

Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by akinnux(m): 10:55am On Sep 08, 2011
It is because marriage is for better for worse. In addition, in Yoruba culture it is called 'Dalemosu' which is often considered as a taboo. The affected family is also stigmatized.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by clomn(m): 11:04am On Sep 08, 2011
madam poster if u want to leave ur husband but dont know how to go about it, first go and rent a room in the heart of the city cos u ar in for a big show.,
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by 76Naira(m): 11:49am On Sep 08, 2011
The main issue for me isn't about going back to her parents, it rather is about what led to that need?

I have seen both sides to this from the wife's perspective.
One left because her husband was sleeping outside, coming home drunk, had no clear plans for their future etc
The other left because she felt her husband wasn't doing enough even when he earns about 1.3m Naira per month, is open about the house finance, has just built their house and is very faithful (she confirms this).

So, this topic requires us to look at many aspects to be certain.
Good wife - good husband
Good wife - bad husband
Bad wife - good husband
Bad wife - bad husband.
Value systems in their separate family homes
value system in their marriage home
Their social status
Kinds of friends they keep individually & collectively

Too many things to look into before you can say if the girl was right to make the move.
After all, he/she wasn't forced into the marriage in the first place & no one promised life will be very easy.

Cheers
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by baslone: 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2011
It's not even about you! It's suppose to be an embarrassment to your folks!

nassiwa:

I would go back to my parents' home with no second thought in case of any Fight With my Husband.i dont see anything wrong with it. i would not mind about whatever people say If my parents are ready to welcome me.

Esp, when your husband catches you and your boyfriend red handed playing Ludo

on his marital bed! Raise your head, go home then you can explain to your neighbors,

childhood friends and your parents's visitors the reason why you are back to their house

watching Kanayo O Kanayo on their TV after two kids!
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by DaDoctor: 2:44pm On Sep 08, 2011
baslone:

It's not even about you! It's suppose to be an embarrassment to your folks!

Esp, when your husband catches you and your boyfriend red handed playing Ludo

on his marital bed! Raise your head, go home then you can explain to your neighbors,

childhood friends and your parents's visitors the reason why you are back to their house

watching Kanayo O Kanayo on their TV after two kids!
dont mind the shameless poster. If u are wellcomed in ur parents home to stay . why then did u leave for your hubbys place at first. Dont u know that after marriage u become another entity disentangled to a larger extent from your immediate family? MODERN DAY LADIESSSSSSSS
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by occam(m): 3:16pm On Sep 08, 2011
Another of one of those cultural practices that suppresses women in our society. My goodness! when are Africans going to get out of the dark ages.

Yorubas use a derogatory term for this: on dale moshu

Its time for fathers and men to stand up and defend their girls. A lot of things done in Yoruba culture are designed to only respect MEN, but these men do not show love for their wife/children. Far too many irresponsible men in our society are being shielded by our archaic culture.

The most depressing aspect is men that are educated continue to perpetuate these acts of oppression against women, in the name of culture.

When are we going to start preaching LOVE in our society vs. upholding archaic retrogressive practices? Why shouldn't a man protect his daughter (single or married) against abuse?
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by heryyy(m): 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2011
Theblessed:

[size=16pt]

Marriage suppose to be full of joy, love and affection and not, battlefield of any kind.  And when it becomes a constant battlefield, love is out of the window as damage, had already been done! Only sorry for the victims - the kids. sad sad sad

[/size]

Who the hellll told you marriage is all about joy and love ? why did u agreed to say u will be the for better for worse ? please wake up,
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by dayokanu(m): 3:41pm On Sep 08, 2011
To go do wetin for her Papa house? Come my house instead
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by HotieTima(f): 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2011
dayokanu:

To go do wetin for her Papa house?

undecided undecided undecided to eat and go bck home

can't u read now
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by ronkebp(f): 3:49pm On Sep 08, 2011
i do not see anything wrong in it. the only problem is the embarrassment that follows it and small! small!! insults that will climb on it, and i see that as the level of our (naija) illiteracy
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by HotieTima(f): 3:53pm On Sep 08, 2011
ronkebp:

i do not see anything wrong in it. the only problem is the embarrassment that follows it and small! small!! insults that will climb on it, and i see that as the level of our (naija) illitercay.

thank you
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by foward1212(m): 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2011
My dear, marriage is serious business, its not all rosy, and its not all bitter, there is no way it can be good always. Its for adults with developed minds and not kids. that's why you are expected to date, observe and most importantly committee your relationship to God before going into marriage. The problem now is that a lot of people are in a hurry to go into it, because of many reasons and forget the committeemen and importance attached to it. This leads to a lot of regret as its happening abroad.

Its for better and for worse, when the worse come you endure and believe God for the better.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by God2man(m): 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2011
It is not easy to leave your matrimonial home and move to your parent's house under such critical circumstances. How many many ladies would like to go back to their parent's house? It is not easy, people will look down on you. It is frustrating and degrading. Alternatively, go to your friends house for while and then think deeply on what to do next. Seek the face of God his mercy. I can' say more, because many people's home are already built on faulty foundations like premarital sex, unwanted pregnancy, lust, beaty without xter and so on. So, the marriage will eventually crash. However, if you decide to continue to stay with your husband, then humble yourself enough for a solution. God bless you. God2man. r, if you decide to continue to stay with your husband, then humble yourself enough for a solution. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by ikooko(m): 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2011
blackpanda:

i was very interested when i read this blog because i am currently doing a research on women's rights in africa.
In my humble view, i believe one of the chief reasons why women can not go back to their parents houses, and also why the parents are often unwilling to accept the daughtser, stems from the issue of payment of bride price.

If truly you are conducting a research on this issue, then you still have a long way to go as the facts you have gathered is greatly incomplete. You can not generalize on the issue of dowry in African. In Yoruba-land for example, Dowry is part of our culture and it is traditionally bound; the practice however is that the groom will pay the dowry but the dowry is usually returned to the bride&groom in the presence of their parent and saying that they have not sold their daughter but given to him to love and cared for.

@poster.
The issue of marriage is both moral and religious, contrary to general believe, a married woman is not allowed to return to your parent house because your parent will be seen as a failure who has not raised a Godly/obedient daughter and that your parent are supporting your marriage failure contrary to the principle of marriage set by God.

Make no mistake, marriage is a battle field if you want it to work. There are bound to be heated issues, challenges etc. that is why in traditional Yoruba marriage arrangement the wife is handed over to the husband family. In times of serious conflicts, there are procedures for resolving it.

Yes you may run to your parent house if you have tried all you can and you are not getting result especially where there is a threat to your life, children or your future , but care must be exercised in this option. You must have reported to your husband parents. This however should be seen as a temporary option pending the resolution by both families. Mind you nobody forced you to marry the man in the first instance.

@poster, the golden question is; do you want to live your marital life as a westerner or an African woman? The choice is yours, but that your idea of running to your mum's house is better practice in the oyinbo-land. With all sense of seriousness, what type of women will welcome her married daughter back into her home permanently?
This issue has not in any way subjected women to second class citizen, but women must carefully understand that their husband is their heads if they want love and care in return. If you disagree with this, then don't ever get married.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by Youngng(m): 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2011
Though Nigerian culture frowns upon it but if you're my sister or friend,there are only two conditions you can leave your husbands house, If he cheats or beats you up, Any other thing,you must stay put, It's as much your house as it is his,
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by TeskyMan(m): 6:58pm On Sep 08, 2011
heryyy:

Who the hellll told you marriage is all about joy and love ? why did u agreed to say u will be the for better for worse ? please wake up,

God Bless you brov. Hey my people, you have to understand this carefully - MARRIAGE IS NOT MEANT FOR KIDS, NOT FOR STUDENT NEITHER IS IT FOR YOUNG LADIES AND GUYS. IT IS MEANT FOR ADULT WHO ARE MATURED. The word matured has nothing to do with age. Shikena

Becalm:

A girl cannot return to her parent's house because it's no longer her home. Her home is with her husband cos they are now one in body and spirit. She ought to stay back and defend her home. Whose home shall a man run to if she has a wife who nags him to death or is determined to end his life (there are such women though few in number). Is it not funny if such a man returns to his father's house. Some persons on this forum will call him useless man. Every problem has a solution only if you are determined to solve it. [size=14pt]God has given a woman plenty of powers to control a man and the home. These powers are manipultive in nature. Through submission and tenderness a woman can soften a man, manipulate and control him like toy cars.[/size] She can even deal with him at the appropriate time if she does not wish to forgive. [size=14pt]In our time, women prefer the powers given to men, they prefer physical confrontations forgetting men are often physically inclined creating more problems rather than solutions. Until women view gender equality in its right perspective, and realize that their God given powers are much superior to men's power which makes them the home makers and home builders, there shall be less conflicts in the home, less divorce rates, stable marriages  and definitely no need to go back to parents homes.[/size]

This is the best post on this section. This is a bitter truth that is difficult to swallow for our women of now a days. Why struggle with a man physically when God gave you the influencial power to rule your man - All you need to do is tap into the power and use it to its fullest.

@ poster - When you are married, you understand better. Marriage is not a bed of roses. You have to work it out. You have to make it work.

Personal experience,

This morning I felt as if I married a wrong person. For 5 yrs I have been repeating the same thing and she(my wife) has refused to change - thats my complain. I am very sure she has her own complain about me. But the truth is we love each other as much as we fight each other. At times, we'll be very happy and look into each others eyes and ask ourselves - How would my life be if I didn't marry you? The next day, we will be ohh my God , how come I met this kind of man? bla bla,
Marriage is a matured responsibility that needs time to be understood and gets better as time goes on. I have never seen anyone who runs away for his or her problem and make it in life. The best thing you can do is listen to advice of we (elders in this school of thought) or ___________________________complete it.

My 2 cent.
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by hassymo5(m): 8:11pm On Sep 08, 2011
for better for worse, the two shall become one, both left their parents house, so non of them is expected to go back to his or her parent house, in what so ever reason, must learn to carry the cross!!!!!!
Re: Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? by Theblessed(f): 11:20pm On Sep 08, 2011
blacklion:

Whoever told you that one has deceived you, please ask for refund of your money grin

Any grown azz woman who truly believes that stuff up there is a divorcee-in-waiting smiley

[size=16pt]And what's wrong with being a divorcee-in-waiting?

That's even better than the dog fights, some experience in their so call marriages.   

Women are not scared of divorce - men are, and that's why they are always the first to hook up when it happens. undecided undecided
In fact, its FREEDOM!  Nobody would query where you've been or what you've done!

You're your own BOSS, right?  And who would say no to being BOSS, only a fool? 

That aside, but who say marriage hasn't got it's own woes? 

You see, there's an error in your thinking!  Because, one chose not to include all issues in marriage in his/her writing, does'nt mean they do not exist, ok?

It would be nice you learn to think logically, before challenging other peoples ideas/views, that way, you perceive things broadly. undecided undecided

[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black Man Asks God To Send Him A White Girl With A Big Booty (video) / Is This Also Part Of Marriage Romance? / Some Causes Of Problems In Families And Possible Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.