Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,012 members, 7,810,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding (39881 Views)

Pastor Folayemi Richard Beat Pregnant Wife To Coma 3 Months After Wedding / Gas Explosion Kills Lady In Jos, 26 Days After Wedding / My Wife Changed 2 Weeks After Wedding!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by dazzlingd(m): 7:34pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:

This man has lived over 20yrs in US, although he comes to Nigeria Occasionally but never built even a room for himself. According to him whenever he send money for a project, the relative squander and steal it, thinking he has lots of money in the US. That’s the reason he had disagreements with most of his relatives, they are not even in talking terms with some. That’s what he told my friend, his wife.

He only managed to buy a bungalow when she came into his life, and that was partly her contribution as well, though majority of the fund came from him. What makes you think a man will write his name and wife’s name on the property if she has no input?.

Of course she has input, probably bought the hammer they used in hitting the last nail on the roof

7 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Epinbiz(m): 7:34pm On Jan 26, 2023
Ok dey play
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by lanre9ja(m): 7:38pm On Jan 26, 2023
This one deep ooo
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:39pm On Jan 26, 2023
Truthfully, it doesn’t sound like he ever divorced his first wife and there’s a chance they never separated. The fact that she was able to successfully cut off communication between them says it all. He also discouraged her from talking to his family for a reason.
Please continue be kind and comforting to your friend while providing support because it seems as though she may learn a few shocking things in the next few months.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by handsomeyinka(m): 7:39pm On Jan 26, 2023
Wow...not a good one.
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by yinkeys(m): 7:41pm On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:
This is a complex issue, she's truly entitled to some of his property if she was legally married to him.

But she shouldn't get into dirty fight with the first wife and the husband family if things turn ugly

Nigerian legal documents might not hold water in USA

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by stagger: 7:42pm On Jan 26, 2023
All these women looking for green card holders with already established families. Look for a single man that fears God and has prospects and grow with him in a clean slate marriage...no way.

I don't know why people love complications. The man's death was not ordinary. She had better not nurse the ambition of pursuing property before she ends up with a cancelled life membership as well.

4 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by FarahAideed: 7:43pm On Jan 26, 2023
Is your friend
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Darnell9(m): 7:48pm On Jan 26, 2023
Chai!!!!

1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by baby124: 7:48pm On Jan 26, 2023
Let her approach the US embassy for a visa based on proof of marriage and also request a death certificate. Please ask her to get a lawyer. If he has any properties in the US she is entitled to it. They need to first confirm it’s not a fake death because e just sound like the guy wan discharge and. Please get a lawyer, approach the US embassy with your proof of marriage and request a death certificate and Visa to go and bury your husband. The ex-wife has lost that right.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by brightest5050: 7:50pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:
Hello House,

Please, I need advise on how to console and encourage a friend of mine here in naija that heard the news of the death of her newly wedded husband who returned to the US after the wedding ceremony.

The husband lived in the US for so many years, he had a good woman/wife with two children. I don’t know if they were legally married or he settled with the lady and had kids with her for papers during his early years in the US.

Now, after years of being divorced or separated from the lady, I think a calabar US based woman according to him, he then met my friend at an occasion while he came to naija. He pick interest in her and proposed marriage, after like one or two years of communication over the phone. They got wedded seven months ago, and he flew back to the states. Communication continued via phone, until there was a break in communication, my friend here in naija tried to reach him but to no avail, until she called one of his US friend who went and confirmed that her husband was about entering his car packed on a hilly road, he forgot the handbrake wasn’t activated, and the car rolled with him to a tree…he had some fractures and rushed to the hospital. At a point, he was recuperating, although couldn’t speak to my friend on phone.Due to his extreme condition, I think the first wife came but shut every communication. So literally my friend was left in the dark until she heard that he had passed away.

His burial will be in the states, and his family here told my friend that they will come for discussion after the burial, probably for his properties which was gotten in both his name and wife’s name(my friend). Before his demise, he had told her how terrible most of his clans are, and how she should try to avoid them and keep things secret from them

How do I encourage her at this time and also the impending battle with her late husband’s family

Lots of legal issue here but you failed to mention the type of marriage that was contracted with your friend. If you are on Telegram drop your handle in a dead thread and mention me. I could clarify things for you
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Ishilove: 7:52pm On Jan 26, 2023
What a marriage...
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by drakeli: 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:

This man has lived over 20yrs in US, although he comes to Nigeria Occasionally but never built even a room for himself. According to him whenever he send money for a project, the relative squander and steal it, thinking he has lots of money in the US. That’s the reason he had disagreements with most of his relatives, they are not even in talking terms with some. That’s what he told my friend, his wife.

He only managed to buy a bungalow when she came into his life, and that was partly her contribution as well, though majority of the fund came from him. What makes you think a man will write his name and wife’s name on the property if she has no input?.
I don’t believe the bold that she contributed money building the house. You said the man was used to send money but had problems with his own family which could be the reason why he decided to include his new wife’s name on the property. A man can put his wife’s name in addition to his on his properties if he believes his own family members are “devils” that won’t mind taking everything away from his wife and children if he dies.

3 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by ipobarecriminals: 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2023
lipsrsealed Village people nor wan gree make ur friend travel go Yankee. As the ex wife nah calabar woman angry lipsrsealed,tell her to distance herself for now b4 Etim okon come chase her at midnight lipsrsealed.May heaven console her
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by TheChameleon: 7:58pm On Jan 26, 2023
Your so-called friend likes better things.

She should be mourning instead of calculating.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by TheChameleon: 7:59pm On Jan 26, 2023
stagger:
All these women looking for green card holders with already established families. Look for a single man that fears God and has prospects and grow with him in a clean slate marriage...no way.

I don't know why people love complications. The man's death was not ordinary. She had better not nurse the ambition of pursuing property before she ends up with a cancelled life membership as well.

Cancelled life membership.

Perfect description.

She's hungry to chop where she barely sowed.

Some negros don't take shiit like this lightly.

3 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Maski87: 8:01pm On Jan 26, 2023
I think this whole story is a fabrication

2 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2023
baby124:
Let her approach the US embassy for a visa based on proof of marriage and also request a death certificate. Please ask her to get a lawyer. If he has any properties in the US she is entitled to it. They need to first confirm it’s not a fake death because e just sound like the guy wan discharge and. Please get a lawyer, approach the US embassy with your proof of marriage and request a death certificate and Visa to go and bury your husband. The ex-wife has lost that right.

Even IF he was really divorced, she isn’t entitled to any of his properties or money such as retirement or life insurance here in the US, especially if he lived in a community property state. The first wife was able to cut off communication which leads me to believe they were either still married or she was still listed as his next of kin. Add in the fact that he had kids who are his legal heirs unless they are adults and he went through the steps to legally disinherit them and things look even more bleak for the friend. And this is coming from me, a US-based lawyer.
OP, which US state did the man live in?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:04pm On Jan 26, 2023
yinkeys:

Nigerian legal documents might not hold water in USA

She is not going after anything in US, she has never been there and as such, no claims on anything. The property with the documents are naija based
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by davidadenrele: 8:05pm On Jan 26, 2023
Sisterly,

This is deep, life indeed can be very unfair may we never thought be or imagine be the bad reasons for a good things we hoped for.....Amen.

Your friend need alot support and encouragement the next thing is to strategizes and be very prayeful his late husband has told her the kind of familes he comes from and how terrible they can be so she need clean up her t

1. Let her get a Nigerian US based lawyer that can help her legally on how to fight and claim her late husband will that was written in her name this can not be done in her absence henced there's a need for her to get a lawyer urgently that will help her file for US Visa this should be a matter of urgency else anything can happen US is diffent from Nigeria.

2. No matter how bad her husband family can be there would be atleast someone she can relate with as backup support to help this is a battle she can't fight alone a white pap they say comes from a black pot.

3. She must be willing to share part of what is left in her name with late husband mother or atleast a junior siblings in a legal document way even if they resist in this way there won't be a silent war or mumring between her and late husband family just to have her peace of mind gives what belong to cesar...cesar!! and wnhat belongs to God...God!! a word is enough for a wise.

4. Your Dear friend needs to be more prayeful we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers and ruler of darkness in high places, says the bible the circumstances surrounding the husbands death is mysterious and hence she might be the next target may the good Lord keep your good friend from all known and unknown evil plans of the enemy.

5. She should inform her immediate family of all her movement plans and strategy their support and advices will also help in one way or the other it's well with your friend.

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2023
baby124:

I don’t think she wants to partake in any kind f his US dealing…she has never been there, so no point going there to join issues
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:09pm On Jan 26, 2023
drakeli:
I don’t believe the bold that she contributed money building the house. You said the man was used to send money but had problems with his own family which could be the reason why he decided to include his new wife’s name on the property. A man can put his wife’s name in addition to his on his properties if he believes his own family members are “devils” that won’t mind taking everything away from his wife and children if he dies.

So if he intentionally included his name and his wife’s name, is it logical to ask the wife to forfeit those property on his demise, won’t that contradict law?
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by kingthreat(m): 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2023
Depends on what state the husband was from. The relatives are ready to kill for their properties. With the marriage just being 7months and no issue, she better not feel over-entitled. If na Igbo or delta family, you either give them everything or get ready for WW3

3 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Isabi4lov: 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2023
Your friend is just after his property undecided

4 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:11pm On Jan 26, 2023
TheChameleon:
Your so-called friend likes better things.

She should be mourning instead of calculating.

She is not calculating…the said relatives told her they will come for discussion after his burial. So I’m just trying to advise her on what next, obviously…that’s the main issue for their coming
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:14pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:

I don't think the first wife will care about anything in naija. She is based in the US and have been separated for quite a long time. In-fact, I don't think she knows where he lives

But you said in your first post that the first wife came and shut down communication. How did she do that without knowing where he lived?

There’s also a small chance that the man isn’t dead, he just wanted to ditch your friend and enlisted his family to lie for him.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by olaeffect(m): 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:
This is a complex issue, she's truly entitled to some of his property if she was legally married to him.

But she shouldn't get into dirty fight with the first wife and the husband family if things turn ugly

I would rather she finds a way of handing everything over to his former wife simply because of his living children.
Only the children of the dead are entitled to his or her properties in my own opinion.

Couples especially women should stop laying claim to their spouses property simply because they are married or in a relationship.

Persons in a relationship knows what belongs to who.
But women always believe that whatever belongs to the man is theirs but not the other way round. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2023
davidadenrele:
Sisterly,

This is deep, life indeed can be very unfair may we never thought be or imagine be the bad reasons for a good things we hoped for.....Amen.

Your friend need alot support and encouragement the next thing is to strategizes and be very prayeful his late husband has told her the kind of familes he comes from and how terrible they can be so she need clean up her t

1. Let her get a Nigerian US based lawyer that can help her legally on how to fight and claim her late husband will that was written in her name this can not be done in her absence henced there's a need for her to get a lawyer urgently that will help her file for US Visa this should be a matter of urgency else anything can happen US is diffent from Nigeria.

2. No matter how bad her husband family can be there would be atleast someone she can relate with as backup support to help this is a battle she can't fight alone a white pap they say comes from a black pot.

3. She must be willing to share part of what is left in her name with late husband mother or atleast a junior siblings in a legal document way even if they resist in this way there won't be a silent war or mumring between her and late husband family just to have her peace of mind gives what belong to cesar...cesar!! and wnhat belongs to God...God!! a word is enough for a wise.

4. Your Dear friend needs to be more prayeful we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers and ruler of darkness in high places, says the bible the circumstances surrounding the husbands death is mysterious and hence she might be the next target may the good Lord keep your good friend from all known and unknown evil plans of the enemy.

5. She should inform her immediate family of all her movement plans and strategy their support and advices will also help in one way or the other it's well with your friend.

Thank you…..
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by akaahs(m): 8:25pm On Jan 26, 2023
TheGoodAmerican:
What a tragic death. May his soul rest in peace.

As for your friend, because they were married for only 7 months and she obviously has no kids for him, she should move on. His kids in the U.S and relatives (e.g. parents, siblings, etc) in Nigeria are more entitled to them than she is.
How can they be entitled to something she contributed in acquiring??
Tumbuleke:

Thank you…..
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:27pm On Jan 26, 2023
OP, as a lawyer, asking probing questions and poking holes in testimony is a strong habit so forgive me. But why did your friend have to contact her husband’s US-based friend to find out anything about him when she could’ve just reached out to his family in Nigeria? I don’t understand why she was able to reach out to them about property but couldn’t reach out to them with concern after she stopped hearing from them. Also, why wouldn’t his family in Nigeria contact your friend, who is also in Nigeria, to tell her that her husband was dead?

This is all starting to make less and less sense.

If your friend doesn’t get matters cleared up, pm me his name and what state he lived in and in a few hours, I’ll tell your friend everything she needs to know.

5 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by AngelicBeing: 8:28pm On Jan 26, 2023
sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Little Girl Practices Hair Plaiting With Her Dad's Hairless Scalp (Pix, Video) / My Lover Owns The Twins Not You – Wife / Lazyreporta: A Nairaland Member Gets Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.