Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,172 members, 7,811,410 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding (39887 Views)

Pastor Folayemi Richard Beat Pregnant Wife To Coma 3 Months After Wedding / Gas Explosion Kills Lady In Jos, 26 Days After Wedding / My Wife Changed 2 Weeks After Wedding!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by frozen70(f): 8:32pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:
Hello House,

Please, I need advise on how to console and encourage a friend of mine here in naija that heard the news of the death of her newly wedded husband who returned to the US after the wedding ceremony.

The husband lived in the US for so many years, he had a good woman/wife with two children. I don’t know if they were legally married or he settled with the lady and had kids with her for papers during his early years in the US.

Now, after years of being divorced or separated from the lady, I think a calabar US based woman according to him, he then met my friend at an occasion while he came to naija. He pick interest in her and proposed marriage, after like one or two years of communication over the phone. They got wedded seven months ago, and he flew back to the states. Communication continued via phone, until there was a break in communication, my friend here in naija tried to reach him but to no avail, until she called one of his US friend who went and confirmed that her husband was about entering his car packed on a hilly road, he forgot the handbrake wasn’t activated, and the car rolled with him to a tree…he had some fractures and rushed to the hospital. At a point, he was recuperating, although couldn’t speak to my friend on phone.Due to his extreme condition, I think the first wife came but shut every communication. So literally my friend was left in the dark until she heard that he had passed away.

His burial will be in the states, and his family here told my friend that they will come for discussion after the burial, probably for his properties which was gotten in both his name and wife’s name(my friend). Before his demise, he had told her how terrible most of his clans are, and how she should try to avoid them and keep things secret from them

How do I encourage her at this time and also the impending battle with her late husband’s family

I don't want to believe these

Does it mean that both inlaws don't relate with each others family

Does it mean that in the marriage there was no family members of the wife

So how come her husband family is not carrying her along with the burial plans

If the family doesn't recognize her then the marriage was not recognized

She should bear her loses
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by sacajawea: 8:33pm On Jan 26, 2023
How old is your friend?
Is she Pregnant at the moment??
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by NA1RALANDER(f): 8:34pm On Jan 26, 2023
A marriage of just 7 Months and she is interested in fighting for the properties...
Make d first wife join hand with his kinsmen and deal with the greedy new wife...

5 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:37pm On Jan 26, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Even IF he was really divorced, she isn’t entitled to any of his properties or money such as retirement or life insurance here in the US, especially if he lived in a community property state. The first wife was able to cut off communication which leads me to believe they were either still married or she was still listed as his next of kin. Add in the fact that he had kids who are his legal heirs unless they are adults and he went through the steps to legally disinherit them and things look even more bleak for the friend. And this is coming from me, a US-based lawyer.
OP, which US state did the man live in?

I don’t think she is concerned about the US things the man got, of course it will be futile. She has never been there, so is just shadow chasing if she go for that.

Is the naija property
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by madjune(m): 8:37pm On Jan 26, 2023
If the late man has already listed this new lady in any official filing as his new fiancee, then, with a good lawyer, she could secure a visa to attend his burial.

She holds that right.

Issue of entitlement to property is long way off.
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Oceanjagaban: 8:38pm On Jan 26, 2023
This your story too long o,na new year be this

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Levels1(m): 8:38pm On Jan 26, 2023
seanwilliam:

This is a lie from the pit of hell.

I can bet my two balls that your friend ( which is you) didn’t contribute nada to the said property.

From your narrative the man was financially buoyant and he had been sending money home before he met your friend( which is you ) but his family according to you was “eating the money” I know this is a false narrative to gather sympathy .

You and your friend na thief , she didn’t have any kid with him , and I’m sure during his short time with her, she enjoined part of his money too. She should move on .
Honestly speaking , it means that his demise is not painful to your friend self ( which is you ), y’all about his properties.

Who even know if na from your body e carry trouble

This is a reminder to guys out there,
Women no Dey love without benefit attached…

I'm not saying she's wrong or right

But what I'm saying is that she's that her friend in quote as she sounds to be more updated to the point of been able to write it out in details.

And as such, op is only interested in dragging the properties with the Man families despite not giving birth for the man

She intends sitting on the man's properties and to remarry thereafter to enjoy the wealth of the died man with her new husband while denying the man's family chance to benefits

Well all I know is that the op might end up going to meet the man in no distance Time as her greed will lead her into that.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:42pm On Jan 26, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

But you said in your first post that the first wife came and shut down communication. How did she do that without knowing where he lived?

There’s also a small chance that the man isn’t dead, he just wanted to ditch your friend and enlisted his family to lie for him.

By shutting communication, I mean there was no phone of communication via phone call. One of the child that was given my friend some little information while he was in hospital, suddenly stopped communicating. She was left in the dark until he died. Even at present, she has no real details on what next consigning his dead body.

As of if he is dead or alive, sure he is dead.
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:

By shutting communication, I mean there was no phone of communication via phone call. One of the child that was given my friend some little information while he was in hospital, suddenly stopped communicating. She was left in the dark until he died. Even at present, she has no real details on what next consigning his dead body.

As of if he is dead or alive, sure he is dead.

Okay
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by simplepee(f): 8:46pm On Jan 26, 2023
Seven months old marriage and she’s getting this greedy about properties. A man she barely even know. People and greed ehn.

She should move on with her life abeg. The family should make sure all his properties get to the kids.

4 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by leisuretym: 8:49pm On Jan 26, 2023
Why do you need his property? You are only married for 7 months? Do you have kids for him?
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 8:51pm On Jan 26, 2023
1stGenAmerican:
OP, as a lawyer, asking probing questions and poking holes in testimony is a strong habit so forgive me. But why did your friend have to contact her husband’s US-based friend to find out anything about him when she could’ve just reached out to his family in Nigeria? I don’t understand why she was able to reach out to them about property but couldn’t reach out to them with concern after she stopped hearing from them. Also, why wouldn’t his family in Nigeria contact your friend, who is also in Nigeria, to tell her that her husband was dead?

This is all starting to make less and less sense.

If your friend doesn’t get matters cleared up, pm me his name and what state he lived in and in a few hours, I’ll tell your friend everything she needs to know.

If you read the original post, you will see that he wasn’t really in good terms with most of his relatives. He live alone while in the states. While he was discharged from the hospital, I think he was assigned carers to look after him. Of course carers will do their paid job and leave….one of his sibling, I think was informed, and travelled from another state to come find him left all by himself for some days without food or drink, he was then rushed to the hospital…and passed on after some days
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by EgunMogaji2: 8:58pm On Jan 26, 2023
yinkeys:

Nigerian legal documents might not hold water in USA

100% it does.

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by baby124: 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Even IF he was really divorced, she isn’t entitled to any of his properties or money such as retirement or life insurance here in the US, especially if he lived in a community property state. The first wife was able to cut off communication which leads me to believe they were either still married or she was still listed as his next of kin. Add in the fact that he had kids who are his legal heirs unless they are adults and he went through the steps to legally disinherit them and things look even more bleak for the friend. And this is coming from me, a US-based lawyer.
Wife and kids are always entitled. Legally married wife and if culturally she can prove with a good lawyer that she is his wife, she will get something. In fact the US laws have priority of wife over children. If he did not leave a will. She will be the sole administrator of his estate. She should get a lawyer ASAP and contact the embassy.

A lot of new wives have inherited it all even with the man having prior children. Spouse always have priority. She is the one that should be making decisions, not the ex-wife or even his kids. She is the spouse and they will have to go through her before making decisions about his burial and his estate. The law is not emotional.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:04pm On Jan 26, 2023
simplepee:
Seven months old marriage and she’s getting this greedy about properties. A man she barely even know. People and greed ehn.

She should move on with her life abeg. The family should make sure all his properties get to the kids.

Hi. I’m curious and would like to know what’s the average cost of braids. For example, what do you charge for the braids you posted on December 30th?

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:10pm On Jan 26, 2023
baby124:

Wife and kids are always entitled. Legally married wife and if culturally she can prove with a good lawyer that she is his wife, she will get something. In fact the US laws have priority of wife over children. If he did not leave a will. She will be the sole administrator of his estate. She should get a lawyer ASAP and contact the embassy.

A lot of new wives have inherited it all even with the man having prior children. Spouse always have priority. She is the one that should be making decisions, not the ex-wife or even his kids. She is the spouse and they will have to go through her before making decisions about his burial and his estate. The law is not emotional.

US divorce laws aren’t federal nor or they emotional and they differ from state to state. The laws of some states favor minor children over wives and vice versa. If his children are minors, they will be the priority in many of the 50 states. His ex-wife will also be entitled to a share if they were acquired during the marriage, again depending on the state he resided in. There is also a chance that his assets, if any, are community property. The second wife isn’t automatically entitled to be executrix or administrator. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 26, 2023

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Skmoda360(m): 9:20pm On Jan 26, 2023
WhisperedNoise:
This matter is complicated.
I don't know if the Nigerian marriage will hold up because the man wasn't divorced from his wife in the US before he married another woman.
Bigamy is an offense in the US.

To be honest, I don't think there is any headway for the new wife to get any property. There's also the issue of will.

The new wife's chances are slim in my opinion. Very very slim.

RIP to the dead. May God comfort both families.
Go and read the story again. Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:28pm On Jan 26, 2023
TheGoodAmerican:
How did she contribute? Does she have any receipts as evidence? They were married for 7-months. The properties the man has must have been established before she came along. The man just died and all she cares about are his properties. Clearly, she's a gold digger wanting to reap where she didn't sow. I hope his relatives in Nigeria ensures she gets nothing.

wink
Wise woman. I see that understand why I said she may be in for some surprises. I’ve seen men back in Africa do some crafty things and drafting two sets of papers, one set with the side chick or new wife’s name on it to show her and a totally different set with her name nowhere to be found is filed with official records. Very common. Death can bring many surprises. The man isn’t even buried yet and she’s a newlywed, why isn’t she mourning?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by ObosiUkwalla: 9:30pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:

I don't think the first wife will care about anything in naija. She is based in the US and have been separated for quite a long time. In-fact, I don't think she knows where he lives. Probably met both of themselves in the states during his early period. There is no much communication from the first wife, so literally my friend don't even know anything consigning him in the US. He was planning on moving my friend to the US by mid this year after completion of his project here in naija, which my friend supervise. So, it is his siblings and relatives that will come for the discussion here not his US based estrange wife

This ur friend, is she per chance called TINA?
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by baby124: 9:30pm On Jan 26, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

US divorce laws aren’t federal nor or they emotional and they differ from state to state. The laws of some states favor minor children over wives and vice versa. If his children are minors, they will be the priority in many of the 50 states. His ex-wife will also be entitled to a share if they were acquired during the marriage, again depending on the state he resided in. There is also a chance that his assets, if any, are community property. The second wife isn’t automatically entitled to be executrix or administrator. Thanks.
If he’s divorced. It’s not community property. All such properties are shared or split in a divorce if it’s acquired within the marriage. She is the automatic executor of the estate and more than likely this man was not a young man. If he’s got kids they are older. For the ex-wife to cut off communication shows she’s trying to play a fast one so OP needs to move fast and get what belongs to her. She’s his wife, end of. That’s why spouses must insist on a provision for their kids when married. I have seen this very well, in fact na new wife de inherit pass because his estate has to take care of her. The older children can take care of themselves. They can sue for a share but she’s entitled to no less than 50% of all his assets and she’s to make decisions for funeral arrangements and other things. Including bills sef. Guy may have a mortgage and liabilities she will also need to settle. So it goes both ways, reason why the wives are given priority. Family members only see the gain, not the gbese.

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Reni1: 9:32pm On Jan 26, 2023
She should submit her application for US Permanent Residency as quickly as possible if he was a US citizen

Tumbuleke:
Hello House,

Please, I need advise on how to console and encourage a friend of mine here in naija that heard the news of the death of her newly wedded husband who returned to the US after the wedding ceremony.

The husband lived in the US for so many years, he had a good woman/wife with two children. I don’t know if they were legally married or he settled with the lady and had kids with her for papers during his early years in the US.

Now, after years of being divorced or separated from the lady, I think a calabar US based woman according to him, he then met my friend at an occasion while he came to naija. He pick interest in her and proposed marriage, after like one or two years of communication over the phone. They got wedded seven months ago, and he flew back to the states. Communication continued via phone, until there was a break in communication, my friend here in naija tried to reach him but to no avail, until she called one of his US friend who went and confirmed that her husband was about entering his car packed on a hilly road, he forgot the handbrake wasn’t activated, and the car rolled with him to a tree…he had some fractures and rushed to the hospital. At a point, he was recuperating, although couldn’t speak to my friend on phone.Due to his extreme condition, I think the first wife came but shut every communication. So literally my friend was left in the dark until she heard that he had passed away.

His burial will be in the states, and his family here told my friend that they will come for discussion after the burial, probably for his properties which was gotten in both his name and wife’s name(my friend). Before his demise, he had told her how terrible most of his clans are, and how she should try to avoid them and keep things secret from them

How do I encourage her at this time and also the impending battle with her late husband’s family

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:33pm On Jan 26, 2023
baby124:

If he’s divorced. It’s not community property. All such properties are shared or split in a divorce if it’s acquired within the marriage. She is the automatic executor of the estate and more than likely this man was not a young man. If he’s got kids they are older. For the ex-wife to cut off communication shows she’s trying to play a fast one so OP needs to move fast and get what belongs to her. She’s his wife, end of. That’s why spouses must insist on a provision for their kids when married. I have seen this very well, in fact na new wife de inherit pass because his estate has to take care of her. The older children can take care of themselves. They can sue for a share but she’s entitled to no less than 50% of all his assets and she’s to make decisions for funeral arrangements and other things. Including bills sef. Guy may have a mortgage and liabilities she will also need to settle. So it goes both ways, reason why the wives are given priority. Family members only see the gain, not the gbese.

Some divorced couples don’t immediately divide community property. Again, that’s if he was divorced.
Anyway, how many/Which states are you licensed to practice law in?

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by izubext007: 9:34pm On Jan 26, 2023
Bad luck
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by ImperialYoruba: 9:36pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:
Hello House,

This story get k-leg.

First and foremost, your friend need an independent source to confirm husband is indeed dead. He could have met another girl in US and hooked, the story death used as coverup.

Did your friend see corpse, death certificate, or any of that? Does she know where he lives, work? Contact his work for independent verification.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by ObosiUkwalla: 9:41pm On Jan 26, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

If you believe this Op and his/her cock and bull story, then you might as well believe that my grandmom died a virgin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:43pm On Jan 26, 2023
ObosiUkwalla:

If you believe this Op and his/her cock and bull story, then you might as well believe that my grandmom died a virgin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:45pm On Jan 26, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

This story get k-leg.

First and foremost, your friend need an independent source to confirm husband is indeed dead. He could have met another girl in US and hooked, the story death used as coverup.

Did your friend see corpse, death certificate, or any of that?
Does she know where he lives, work? Contact his work for independent verification.

smiley

1 Like

Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 9:49pm On Jan 26, 2023
ObosiUkwalla:

This ur friend, is she per chance called TINA?

Nah…why?
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Tumbuleke: 9:51pm On Jan 26, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

This story get k-leg.

Did your friend see corpse, death certificate, or any of that? Does she know where he lives, work? Contact his work for independent verification.

She has never been to the states. She should know where he lives and work on paper though.

He passed away, he had no cause to fake it because he cherish her a lot
Re: A Friend in Naija Just Lost Her US Based Husband Just 7 Months After Wedding by Lionize: 9:53pm On Jan 26, 2023
Tumbuleke:
Hello House,

Is the man from a part of Abia state?
Advice: get a lawyer involved. Sell all sellable that are in the city, convert to liquid cash, and then purchase other properties in your name. Don't touch anything in the village.
Private chat me if he is from Abia state. If you were legally married, you own whatever both of you owned. But some wicked brothers-inlaw, especially one particular part of Abia state (this one I am dead sure), though they may be wealthy, they will come to strip you of everything, even if you have little kids. But e get as you fit handle dem.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Little Girl Practices Hair Plaiting With Her Dad's Hairless Scalp (Pix, Video) / My Lover Owns The Twins Not You – Wife / Lazyreporta: A Nairaland Member Gets Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.