Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? (11441 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Raxxye(m): 3:44pm On Feb 22, 2023
toprealman:

I'm happy you expressed yourself fully and totally get your point. Try and read up the allegory of the cave. Keep an open mind too.
Back to the question raised by the OP. As a STEM teacher actively involved in teaching for some years, hopefully, she can be employed in virtually any country. All she needs is to get the right certification and information and the rest will be happy ending
Which industry pays well in Nigeria? Do you know what professors earn? If not for grants etc......let's leave it their.
With her current salary, she is not doing badly going by Nigerian standard.
Act locally, think globally.
Experience in the banking sector is not comparable to experience in secondary school teaching. I've made my point anyways. It's left for whoever has the options to choose whatever suits her best!

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Yaks02(m): 3:57pm On Feb 22, 2023
Let her stay in Benin, except na whookup de her mind

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Xxx123xxx(m): 4:02pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:
I have a neighbour who resides in Benin city, works as a Physics teacher in a private school and earns 60k as salary, plus extra 55k as a private lesson tutor.

She was recently given a job offer, after applying, in one Microfinance bank in Trade fair, Lagos state. The Microfinance bank has its headquarter in Europe.
The pay is 76k for the first 6 months. After which there will be an upward review to 96k.

Problem is she doesn't know which one to choose, as she is tired of teaching and life in Benin. And wants to experience Lagos life.

I wanted to tell her of the life, stress and traffic in Lagos. But had to withdraw, because I haven't been in Lagos for years now. So chances are that i may tell her what is not true.

And secondly, she has no accommodation in Lagos, but wants to go stay with a friend.

I do not know what to tell her.

Your suggestion highly needed.

Thank you.
.Ask her if she's has a backup plan just in case the Lagos deal goes south , then wish her the best.

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:
I have a neighbour who resides in Benin city, works as a Physics teacher in a private school and earns 60k as salary, plus extra 55k as a private lesson tutor.

She was recently given a job offer, after applying, in one Microfinance bank in Trade fair, Lagos state. The Microfinance bank has its headquarter in Europe.
The pay is 76k for the first 6 months. After which there will be an upward review to 96k.

Problem is she doesn't know which one to choose, as she is tired of teaching and life in Benin. And wants to experience Lagos life.

I wanted to tell her of the life, stress and traffic in Lagos. But had to withdraw, because I haven't been in Lagos for years now. So chances are that i may tell her what is not true.

And secondly, she has no accommodation in Lagos, but wants to go stay with a friend.

Thank you.
Benin is better for her financially but she also needs to do what makes her happy as you mentioned she is tired of teaching and Lagos.

Living with a friend no matter how close has its issues and she would need to swallow some insolence once in a while.

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by chimeremodlyn: 4:20pm On Feb 22, 2023
i would have asked her to accept the microfinance job but that salary is not enough to pay any bills in Lagos. Too many bills to pay and depending on where her friend stays, she might be spending much on tfare, worse still, if its not a bosom friend, she might begin to make her feel uncomfortable even b4 6months if she doesn't contribute to house matters. So, she shd seriously consider all of these b4 relocating to Lagos cos me, im relocating out of Lagos- im tired of Lagos already

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by ahamonyeka(m): 4:41pm On Feb 22, 2023
Make she ready to shout to client to pay the money she has given out,readyvto treak under the suun and rain,ready to face insult by client,ready to face pressure by the BM or the head office and ready to use her money to pay when a client does not pay or go for loan drive.

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Emdebby2: 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2023
She should not take the Lagos job...as a starter she will suffer. I know what I go through everyday going to work. Lagos life is full of stress. No matter how much you earn, you must spend it on bills. Secondly she has no accommodation, squatting with someone is not advisable because there may likely be trouble in paradise along the line. She should continue with the teaching job in Benin.

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by mikkyword(m): 4:55pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.

you better remiain in Benin with your N115,000 than going to lagos to earn what is not up to your present pay. Babe! that lagos life you crave for go tire you if you dare embrace that offer. Remain for Benin enjoy your life o.

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by toprealman: 5:05pm On Feb 22, 2023
Raxxye:

Experience in the banking sector is not comparable to experience in secondary school teaching. I've made my point anyways. It's left for whoever has the options to choose whatever suits her best!
Did you see microfinance bank which claims to have their headquarters in Europe (God bless my African people grin grin) is paying their staff £680 monthly......it is well.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by frozen70(f): 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

5am too late!
cool

Exactly
I don't want to tell him that people go to work by 4am because of traffic

Get to. Office by 5.30am and continue sleeping till 7am when others have arrived to resume work

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Dannydrums889: 5:18pm On Feb 22, 2023
toprealman:

Glad you expressed yourself fully and I totally get your point. Try and read up the allegory of the cave. Keep an open mind too.
Back to the question raised by the OP. As a STEM teacher actively involved in teaching for some years, hopefully, she can be employed in virtually any country. All she needs is to get the right certification and information and the rest will be happy ending
Which industry pays well in Nigeria? Do you know what professors earn? If not for grants etc......let's leave it there.
With her current salary, she is not doing badly going by Nigerian standard.
Act locally, think globally.
Please sir,what are the things one must do to become a STEM teacher and what are the advantages
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by RPG2020(m): 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2023
Tell her say Benin no be Lagos

That's all i have to say thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Raxxye(m): 5:49pm On Feb 22, 2023
toprealman:

Did you see microfinance bank which claims to have their headquarters in Europe (God bless my African people grin grin) is paying their staff £680 monthly......it is well.
That's a lot of money if it's located in Nigeria!
Or isn't it?
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Chinks(m): 6:57pm On Feb 22, 2023
I read some comments here and I can't help but laugh at some people's view about STEAM. I'll link their views to inexposure. I teach one of the STEAM subjects here in Abuja (Robotics) and I can tell you that it's highly rewarding. You can't be ICT inclined and suffer in Nigeria of today whether you're teaching or in other sectors. Of recent, I declined 4 other jobs in different organizations in Abuja here because of the school I'm teaching. I'll advise anyone who is really good at STEAM to relocate to better cities to enjoy teaching and make good money from it. Guys are really chilling in Abuja with this teaching job ooo. I'm in a cab going home. So I don't have all the time to type long epistle about teaching in a good school in Abuja.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Truvelisback(m): 7:07pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.
Letter stay in Benin for the salary sake. The cost of living in Lagos is very expensive and rentage of house is very expensive too.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:28pm On Feb 22, 2023
Raxxye:

I don't agree with you. Teaching in Nigeria is about the worst profession anyone can go into.
The pay is very poor; the experience cannot be used to get any other job outside teaching in another Private secondary School. In private schools, you'd hardly have time for any other thing because you're always overloaded with work.
So you lose on all fronts: no money, no useful experience, no mobility and the society doesn't even regard you!
same Benin City, I'm working as a teacher and earning 15k.
B.sc Ed

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:33pm On Feb 22, 2023
fados4sure:

Are you in Benin? What is your area of specialization and location?
bro I'm in Benin as well.
i have a B.sc (Ed) and a TRCN certification.
I'd be so grateful if you could connect me to a teaching job.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2023
BinamRex:
If the Microfinance job doesn't involve marketing or stressful fieldwork, she should accept it.

I am also a teacher in Benin and without mincing words, I am tired. Teaching is mentally draining and energy-sapping.

I'd rather earn 60k doing other jobs that teach and earn 120k. Teaching is only fun if you have passion for it and you are willing to endure the shit you get from parents and their kids during school hours and home lessons.
I swear down.
at times I feel like quitting.
You'd be waking up very early to ensure you're in school before devotion and after teaching a whole day you'd still need to make lesson notes at home with their poor salary.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:44pm On Feb 22, 2023
engrpheleeks:

It's very easy to write STEM and give motivational speech. But my bro, there is nothing 'STEMmy' about being a science teacher. It most times end at that and nothing more. Teaching in a private school in Nigeria is about the worst profession anybody can think of. It takes a whole lot from you and offers very little. The ratio of what teaching takes from you to what it gives you is 90:10
as per your last part, you are relaying this from your experience and honestly you perfectly nailed it

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:47pm On Feb 22, 2023
Dshocker:

She shouldn't think or dream of it at all.

Minus the stress and cost of accommodation (because the friend or relative won't tolerate her for long before they kick her out).... The micro finance will kick her out before 6 months, if she doesn't meet up her target, and that is after she has laboured under the sun.

And if care is not taken, she go enter street begin do ashawo for Lagos.

Lagos no be your mate oooO.

Make she dey manage her sweet life for Edo state, because everybody wey dey waka for Lagos road na one bar dey there life.
grin grin grin
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:51pm On Feb 22, 2023
engrpheleeks:

Hmmmm, my dear... As we speak, I am currently jobless and though I'm not happy about it, but I have my sanity intact. Can you imagine that I got a teaching job early January as a science teacher in a private school. Their previous science went on maternity leave and I was employed to fill in the vacancy, pending when she'll be back. We had agreed on 32k and 3 subjects (physics, chemistry and maths js1-ss3). I said lemme manage it as job no dey. Only for them to add further maths and basic tech, on top 32k, that was after I resumed. I complained and they said when she resumes we will split the work... To cut the long story short, she resumed and they gave me the options of accepting 25k or resigning. From 32 to 25k. I resigned immediately and I was paid off
this is gross.
me dey earn 15k here teaching all subjects in a nursery School.
The stress alone is killing gosh

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 7:55pm On Feb 22, 2023
Chinks:
I read some comments here and I can't help but laugh at some people's view about STEAM. I'll link their views to inexposure. I teach one of the STEAM subjects here in Abuja (Robotics) and I can tell you that it's highly rewarding. You can't be ICT inclined and suffer in Nigeria of today whether you're teaching or in other sectors. Of recent, I declined 4 other jobs in different organizations in Abuja here because of the school I'm teaching. I'll advise anyone who is really good at STEAM to relocate to better cities to enjoy teaching and make good money from it. Guys are really chilling in Abuja with this teaching job ooo. I'm in a cab going home. So I don't have all the time to type long epistle about teaching in a good school in Abuja.
I'm a graduate of teacher education but ARTS.
kindly link me to any teaching job please
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by engrpheleeks(m): 8:11pm On Feb 22, 2023
Delightsome2023:
this is gross. me dey earn 15k here teaching all subjects in a nursery School. The stress alone is killing gosh
15k? Are you for real?

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2023
Delightsome2023:
bro I'm in Benin as well.
i have a B.sc (Ed) and a TRCN certification.
I'd be so grateful if you could connect me to a teaching job.
Area of specialization and location in Benin?
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 10:22pm On Feb 22, 2023
fados4sure:

Area of specialization and location in Benin?

I Studied Library and Information Science at the University of Benin.
Graduated Last year and I reside in Ugbowo, BDPA 19th Street by The Pedestrian Bridge, Benin-Lagos Expressway after UBTH.
I can teach English, Literature, CRK, Government and History.

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 12:49am On Feb 23, 2023
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.
LET HAS HER COME TO THE O LAGOS but MFB work no easy o, if those igbo boys no pay the loan, na her salary she go use complete am plus most likely she would also use her body to get clients (This is a fact)
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 12:50am On Feb 23, 2023
Delightsome2023:
I Studied Library and Information Science at the University of Benin.
Graduated Last year and I reside in Ugbowo, BDPA 19th Street by The Pedestrian Bridge, Benin-Lagos Expressway after UBTH.
I can teach English, Literature, CRK, Government and History.
Vacant positions:
Geography teacher
Economics teacher
Mathematics teacher
Senior English teacher

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 12:54am On Feb 23, 2023
Raxxye:

I don't agree with you. Teaching in Nigeria is about the worst profession anyone can go into.
The pay is very poor; the experience cannot be used to get any other job outside teaching in another Private secondary School. In private schools, you'd hardly have time for any other thing because you're always overloaded with work.
So you lose on all fronts: no money, no useful experience, no mobility and the society doesn't even regard you!
Oga shut up! My cousin teaches in Greensprings her net pay 350k. A neighbor friends teaches in Well spring net pay plus vacation in any African country is 250k net
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 12:58am On Feb 23, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

I studied industrial physics in UNIBEN...

solid job dey?
Yes what can you do?
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 12:58am On Feb 23, 2023
shocked
MichaelSokoto:

5am too late!
cool
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 12:59am On Feb 23, 2023
BinamRex:
If the Microfinance job doesn't involve marketing or stressful fieldwork, she should accept it.

I am also a teacher in Benin and without mincing words, I am tired. Teaching is mentally draining and energy-sapping.

I'd rather earn 60k doing other jobs that teach and earn 120k. Teaching is only fun if you have passion for it and you are willing to endure the shit you get from parents and their kids during school hours and home lessons.
Why did you go into it?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! / Where Can You Work As An International Relations Graduate? / Sharia Court Orders Tailor To Pay For Missing Clothes Or Go To Jail(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.