Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,073 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? (11416 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by CodingSoft: 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2023
Tell your friend the UK Government needs Physics teachers. Here is the UK Government link : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-eligible-occupations/skilled-worker-visa-eligible-occupations-and-codes

4 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by frozen70(f): 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:
I have a neighbour who resides in Benin city, works as a Physics teacher in a private school and earns 60k as salary, plus extra 55k as a private lesson tutor.

She was recently given a job offer, after applying, in one Microfinance bank in Trade fair, Lagos state. The Microfinance bank has its headquarter in Europe.
The pay is 76k for the first 6 months. After which there will be an upward review to 96k.

Problem is she doesn't know which one to choose, as she is tired of teaching and life in Benin. And wants to experience Lagos life.

I wanted to tell her of the life, stress and traffic in Lagos. But had to withdraw, because I haven't been in Lagos for years now. So chances are that i may tell her what is not true.

And secondly, she has no accommodation in Lagos, but wants to go stay with a friend.

I do not know what to tell her.

Your suggestion highly needed.

Thank you.

She is already tired of teaching and she doesn't mind relocating to another state to get another job

I think she should be allowed to move to Lagos, she cam also be opportuned to search for more jobs while on the new job

In the issue of traffic, no one will understand Lagos traffic untill you experience it

That's when you will understand why people leave home by 5am to get to work
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Gr8fulHeart(f): 2:02pm On Feb 22, 2023
Microfinance job? To give out loan and chase after defaulters and the company will harass your life if those monies don't come in. Them no dey tell blind man say rain dey fall.
Body go tell am. I wish her the very best.

6 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by toprealman: 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2023
Raxxye:

I don't agree with you. Teaching in Nigeria is about the worst profession anyone can go into.
The pay is very poor; the experience cannot be used to get any other job outside teaching in another Private secondary School. In private schools, you'd hardly have time for any other thing because you're always overloaded with work.
So you lose on all fronts: no money, no useful experience, no mobility and the society doesn't even regard you!
Glad you expressed yourself fully and I totally get your point. Try and read up the allegory of the cave. Keep an open mind too.
Back to the question raised by the OP. As a STEM teacher actively involved in teaching for some years, hopefully, she can be employed in virtually any country. All she needs is to get the right certification and information and the rest will be happy ending
Which industry pays well in Nigeria? Do you know what professors earn? If not for grants etc......let's leave it there.
With her current salary, she is not doing badly going by Nigerian standard.
Act locally, think globally.

6 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by toprealman: 2:12pm On Feb 22, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

wat is dat!

enlightenment pls!
1. https://www.snhu.edu/about-us/newsroom/stem/what-does-stem-mean-for-you#:~:text=STEM%20is%20an%20acronym%20that,%2C%20technology%2C%20engineering%20and%20mathematics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science,_technology,_engineering,_and_mathematics
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 22, 2023
Devilagentcap:
Na mumu she be if she leaves that teaching job. Seems she likes to suffer and earn less

Abeg op, link me up with that sch.
Are you in Benin? What is your area of specialization and location?
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Eserise1(m): 2:17pm On Feb 22, 2023
Please beg her to stay in Benin, Benin is cheap to stay rather than lagos , lagos go suffer her. People are running ouuut of lagos every day Cos oof the stress and high cost of living

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by MichaelSokoto(m): 2:19pm On Feb 22, 2023
frozen70:

She is already tired of teaching and she doesn't mind relocating to another state to get another job

I think she should be allowed to move to Lagos, she cam also be opportuned to search for more jobs while on the new job

In the issue of traffic, no one will understand Lagos traffic untill you experience it

That's when you will understand why people leave home by 5am to get to work
5am too late!
cool
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by MichaelSokoto(m): 2:21pm On Feb 22, 2023
fados4sure:

I studied industrial physics in UNIBEN...

solid job dey?

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by omoseth(m): 2:26pm On Feb 22, 2023
I'm very certain the microfinance job is a marketing job(credit officer/loan officer).

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by BinamRex: 2:27pm On Feb 22, 2023
If the Microfinance job doesn't involve marketing or stressful fieldwork, she should accept it.

I am also a teacher in Benin and without mincing words, I am tired. Teaching is mentally draining and energy-sapping.

I'd rather earn 60k doing other jobs that teach and earn 120k. Teaching is only fun if you have passion for it and you are willing to endure the shit you get from parents and their kids during school hours and home lessons.

5 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by engrpheleeks(m): 2:28pm On Feb 22, 2023
Even though teaching is superstressful, I wouldn't advise her to go for the microfinance job cos the pay is grossly small plus transport is most likely going to consume a greater % of the money. And the job might also turn out stressful as well. Had it been she has accomodation trekable to the microfinance, I would advise her to take it because that teaching ehn... They will just tell you that they are employing you as a physics teacher, but you'll end up teaching physics, chemistry, biology, maths (Js1-Ss3), basic tech plus lesson note. Teaching in a private school is not a job.

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lereinter(m): 2:31pm On Feb 22, 2023
Does she have a degree in education?

If NO

she can go and try the MFB job to gain other administrative or office work experience

IT could be are starting point

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by sylvanusiyoha1: 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2023
Why would she want to make such a mistake?
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lereinter(m): 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2023
Gr8fulHeart:
Microfinance job? To give out loan and chase after defaulters and the company will harass your life if those monies don't come in. Them no dey tell blind man say rain dey fall.
Body go tell am. I wish her the very best.

There's no good job in nigeria now except it involves handcraft or trade

It's the economy that made MFB job bad

When my brother was doing some years back sweet, every weekend was outing in their organisation

Largesse upon largesse

Hopefully the economy will bounce back with the change of govt

AO 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by engrpheleeks(m): 2:38pm On Feb 22, 2023
toprealman:

STEM is the new gold and she is a lady too. She has better career prospect as a physics teacher.
It's very easy to write STEM and give motivational speech. But my bro, there is nothing 'STEMmy' about being a science teacher. It most times end at that and nothing more. Teaching in a private school in Nigeria is about the worst profession anybody can think of. It takes a whole lot from you and offers very little. The ratio of what teaching takes from you to what it gives you is 90:10

3 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Dshocker(m): 2:40pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:
I have a neighbour who resides in Benin city, works as a Physics teacher in a private school and earns 60k as salary, plus extra 55k as a private lesson tutor.

She was recently given a job offer, after applying, in one Microfinance bank in Trade fair, Lagos state. The Microfinance bank has its headquarter in Europe.
The pay is 76k for the first 6 months. After which there will be an upward review to 96k.

Problem is she doesn't know which one to choose, as she is tired of teaching and life in Benin. And wants to experience Lagos life.

I wanted to tell her of the life, stress and traffic in Lagos. But had to withdraw, because I haven't been in Lagos for years now. So chances are that i may tell her what is not true.

And secondly, she has no accommodation in Lagos, but wants to go stay with a friend.

Thank you.

She shouldn't think or dream of it at all.

Minus the stress and cost of accommodation (because the friend or relative won't tolerate her for long before they kick her out).... The micro finance will kick her out before 6 months, if she doesn't meet up her target, and that is after she has laboured under the sun.

And if care is not taken, she go enter street begin do ashawo for Lagos.

Lagos no be your mate oooO.

Make she dey manage her sweet life for Edo state, because everybody wey dey waka for Lagos road na one bar dey there life.

4 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Khaady605: 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2023
Honest advice. I've been a teacher for almost ten years now, trying to sponsor myself in my undergraduate programme, believe me teaching in a private school is not a job. So tedious and with little to show for it. Alhamdulillah, I have few months from now to graduate. Now I am having sleepless night on what type of business should I go into because I don't want to spend my whole life suffering in the name of working.
highchief1:
the two job no get head.Learn a skill

3 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by joshuaadron: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2023
Take the microfinance job in Lagos. Let her come and taste Lagos water. After all life na risk
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by thegooddieyoung: 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2023
Whenever I see this type of post, I smile to myself. I always use my life stories to motivate people.
There is serious money in teaching but you need to leverage on strong networking and put integrity as your watchword.

I studied engineering and graduated with above 4.0 CGPA however, home lesson alone rakes in over 200k monthly and even more during holiday periods. I started as a secondary school teacher; handling Maths and FurtherMaths. Without any sense of pride, I know my onions in Physics, Maths and FurtherMaths. While teaching, I was also doing lessons. I reached out to big families from church and also explored network of friends. Today, I have quit teaching in secondary school and focused on only home lessons. I have also started taking IT courses during the day time since I no longer teach in a school

People of God, teaching can make you comfortable, just be intentional about your life. God's grace remaining a constant K .

ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by chudez0147(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2023
Zihno:
She wants to leave 115k (mostly likely net pay) in benin for a 70-90k (gross) MICROFINANCE job in lag? Orishirishi.
Oga please break it down for Urchins.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

I studied industrial physics in UNIBEN...

solid job dey?
Chat me up on 08 181 569 657

Solid teaching dey for part time but, na location go be problem
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by OvertheTop(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.

Remain in Benin.
@76k, That move to Lagos...is Like Suicide

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Khaady605: 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2023
; grin
God have mercy. The experiences I had on teaching in private schools are the most stressful part of my life. There was a school that I once taught for a month and ran away because of work overload.
engrpheleeks:
Even though teaching is superstressful, I wouldn't advise her to go for the microfinance job cos the pay is grossly small plus transport is most likely going to consume a greater % of the money. And the job might also turn out stressful as well. Had it been she has accomodation trekable to the microfinance, I would advise her to take it because that teaching ehn... They will just tell you that they are employing you as a physics teacher, but you'll end up teaching physics, chemistry, biology, maths (Js1-Ss3), basic tech plus lesson note. Teaching in a private school is not a job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by highchief1: 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2023
Khaady605:
Honest advice. I've been a teacher for almost ten years now, trying to sponsor myself in my undergraduate programme, believe me teaching in a private school is not a job. So tedious and with little to show for it. Alhamdulillah, I have few months from now to graduate. Now I am having sleepless night on what type of business should I go into because I don't want to spend my whole life suffering in the name of working.
some of us will always speak the truth.If u open a Barbing salon in a strategic plaza u r better off than a teacher or a micro finance banker.Smart pll don’t actually enjoy working for anybody.If u have to work it must be an establishment.What’s the point investing ur time and energy into smthg that doesn’t have a future.Even a taxi driver is better than the two job offers der

3 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.

She is earning more money in Benin and the money has a better value there as well. Rent is cheaper as well, so it's better for her to remain there.

The 76k won't even be enough for her to live in Lagos. Rent alone would swallow everything and she'll struggle to cope with paying bills.

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by engrpheleeks(m): 3:04pm On Feb 22, 2023
Khaady605:
; grin
God have mercy. The experiences I had on teaching in private schools are the most stressful part of my life. There was a school that I once taught for a month and ran away because of work overload.
Hmmmm, my dear... As we speak, I am currently jobless and though I'm not happy about it, but I have my sanity intact. Can you imagine that I got a teaching job early January as a science teacher in a private school. Their previous science went on maternity leave and I was employed to fill in the vacancy, pending when she'll be back. We had agreed on 32k and 3 subjects (physics, chemistry and maths js1-ss3). I said lemme manage it as job no dey. Only for them to add further maths and basic tech, on top 32k, that was after I resumed. I complained and they said when she resumes we will split the work... To cut the long story short, she resumed and they gave me the options of accepting 25k or resigning. From 32 to 25k. I resigned immediately and I was paid off

4 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Devilagentcap: 3:10pm On Feb 22, 2023
fados4sure:

I stay in Ibadan oh.
And i teach government and Civic education
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Anaya4life: 3:17pm On Feb 22, 2023
cokeryusuf09:
She should stay in Benin because all her salary will be used to pay expenses except if they get free accommodation but hope she is not going to work as a marketer
The salary wont even be enough
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Psychopatheko: 3:18pm On Feb 22, 2023
WELL just tell your friend to continue that Benin work if not she go regret am all this banks them dey comot people anyhow you fi just prepare for work today make you see sack letter and you the cost of living in Lagos you think say na child play better stay there ordinary transport for one month for Lagos don cover half of your salary food dey there and even the friend you wan go stay with you don sabi if staying with the person dey irritate am

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Osariemen12: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2023
In all you do, avoid Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by sixtus3606(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2023
ewa20buredi100:

Thank you.

She should take up the MfB job. It will boast her CV. In no time, with dedication, she will be a team lead or even a HoD.

Godspeed mate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? / What NLC Should Do After Criminal Violence Against MTN / Salary - How Much Is Enough To Sustain An Average Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.