Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? (11443 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 1:02am On Feb 23, 2023
Khaady605:
Honest advice. I've been a teacher for almost ten years now, trying to sponsor myself in my undergraduate programme, believe me teaching in a private school is not a job. So tedious and with little to show for it. Alhamdulillah, I have few months from now to graduate. Now I am having sleepless night on what type of business should I go into because I don't want to spend my whole life suffering in the name of working.
Tutorials Center
Cyber Cafe
Raw food selling
POS business
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 1:04am On Feb 23, 2023
highchief1:
some of us will always speak the truth.If u open a Barbing salon in a strategic plaza u r better off than a teacher or a micro finance banker.Smart pll don’t actually enjoy working for anybody.If u have to work it must be an establishment.What’s the point investing ur time and energy into smthg that doesn’t have a future.Even a taxi driver is better than the two job offers der
How much do you make in a Barbing saloon in a day?
What's the cost of operation
Diesel
PHCN in relation to what you make in the shop (income).
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 1:07am On Feb 23, 2023
chimeremodlyn:
i would have asked her to accept the microfinance job but that salary is not enough to pay any bills in Lagos. Too many bills to pay and depending on where her friend stays, she might be spending much on tfare, worse still, if its not a bosom friend, she might begin to make her feel uncomfortable even b4 6months if she doesn't contribute to house matters. So, she shd seriously consider all of these b4 relocating to Lagos cos me, im relocating out of Lagos- im tired of Lagos already
Why are you tired of Lagos? Kindly state your reason(s)
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 1:09am On Feb 23, 2023
frozen70:

Exactly
I don't want to tell him that people go to work by 4am because of traffic

Get to. Office by 5.30am and continue sleeping till 7am when others have arrived to resume work
I cannot do this. Your life expectancy would be reduced by 80%.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 1:10am On Feb 23, 2023
shocked
Delightsome2023:

same Benin City, I'm working as a teacher and earning 15k.
B.sc Ed
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Rubyjade: 2:12am On Feb 23, 2023
ewa20buredi100:
I have a neighbour who resides in Benin city, works as a Physics teacher in a private school and earns 60k as salary, plus extra 55k as a private lesson tutor.

She was recently given a job offer, after applying, in one Microfinance bank in Trade fair, Lagos state. The Microfinance bank has its headquarter in Europe.
The pay is 76k for the first 6 months. After which there will be an upward review to 96k.

Problem is she doesn't know which one to choose, as she is tired of teaching and life in Benin. And wants to experience Lagos life.

I wanted to tell her of the life, stress and traffic in Lagos. But had to withdraw, because I haven't been in Lagos for years now. So chances are that i may tell her what is not true.

And secondly, she has no accommodation in Lagos, but wants to go stay with a friend.

I do not know what to tell her.

Your suggestion highly needed.

Thank you.
A violinist played for 45 minutes in the Washington D.C. subway.

Of the 1,097 people who passed by, seven stopped to listen to him, and one recognized him.

He collected $32.17 in tips from 27 passersby (excluding $20 from the one who recognized him).

Only one person knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. In that subway, Joshua played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before he played in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out a Boston theatre, and the seats averaged about $100.

The experiment proved that the extraordinary in an ordinary environment does not shine and is so often overlooked and undervalued.

There are brilliantly talented people everywhere who aren’t receiving the recognition and reward they deserve. But once they arm themselves with value and confidence and remove themselves from an environment that isn’t serving them, they thrive and grow.

Your gut is telling you something. Listen to it if it’s telling you where you are isn’t enough!

Go where you are appreciated and valued.

Know Your Worth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by frozen70(f): 2:55am On Feb 23, 2023
lavylilly:
I cannot do this. Your life expectancy would be reduced by 80%.

Hahaha

My dear we are already use to it

That's part of what makes it Lagos

Bustling and bubbling

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by BinamRex: 5:36am On Feb 23, 2023
lavylilly:
Why did you go into it?

I couldn't secure any other job. The only job that is easy to get in Nigeria is teaching.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by BinamRex: 5:38am On Feb 23, 2023
Delightsome2023:
I swear down.
at times I feel like quitting.
You'd be waking up very early to ensure you're in school before devotion and after teaching a whole day you'd still need to make lesson notes at home with their poor salary.

The painful thing is that after teaching for years, you'll have nothing to show for it; no house, car or even valuable property.

The day I'll get a good job, I'll borrow money just to throw a party.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by highchief1: 6:09am On Feb 23, 2023
lavylilly:
How much do you make in a Barbing saloon in a day?
What's the cost of operation
Diesel
PHCN in relation to what you make in the shop (income).
lol I don’t own one.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by ucheuzor1(m): 6:38am On Feb 23, 2023
Tell your friend that to rent one room here in Lagos is 300k. Total package is about 420 - 500k. Shey is the microfinance job that will give her that money.

96k job won't give you any reasonable life here in Lagos. Na only debt you go dey enter.

If the job would have honed her skills which I doubt, I would have suggested she take it. Tell her to remain in Benin o. Lagos no be joke oo

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 6:51am On Feb 23, 2023
lavylilly:
Vacant positions:
Geography teacher
Economics teacher
Mathematics teacher
Senior English teacher

good evening boss I've been following your updates on this forum.
God bless you for all your efforts.
However my specialty isn't really included here in the vacant positions you listed.
CRK, Government, Literature, History and maybe English for junior level though.
I'd still reach out to the contact you dropped.
God bless you

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 4:38am On Feb 24, 2023
Delightsome2023:
good evening boss I've been following your updates on this forum.
God bless you for all your efforts.
However my specialty isn't really included here in the vacant positions you listed.
CRK, Government, Literature, History and maybe English for junior level though.
I'd still reach out to the contact you dropped.
God bless you
I will keep you updated. What's your location in Benin?
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 4:39am On Feb 24, 2023
highchief1:
lol I don’t own one.
Start planning on having a side hustle, it longer funny in Nigeria
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 4:40am On Feb 24, 2023
BinamRex:

The painful thing is that after teaching for years, you'll have nothing to show for it; no house, car or even valuable property.

The day I'll get a good job, I'll borrow money just to throw a party.
This is Finacial indiscipline. It never to late to start making plans of owning your own business. My ex was a teacher like you, I ran the tutorial center for him before it tuned into a full school. Stop making excuses, start making moves.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 4:46am On Feb 24, 2023
frozen70:

Hahaha

My dear we are already use to it

That's part of what makes it Lagos

Bustling and bubbling
Who are the we? How many of you people? I recall getting a job few year ago at Oniru, after a week, I just told them. I am quiting. You wake up by 3:30am, on the road by 4:45am and when you get in 3rd mainland bridge you will meet traffic st 5:45am, where the hell are y'all going? Did you even sleep at home? Truth is the well paying are mostly on the Island. Give me 300k Island with accommodation, I would not take because
1. The water is bad (it looks rusting from phase 1 down to some part in Ajah?
2. Foods are expensive
3. Accommodation is expensive
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by frozen70(f): 5:43am On Feb 24, 2023
lavylilly:
Who are the we? How many of you people? I recall getting a job few year ago at Oniru, after a week, I just told them. I am quiting. You wake up by 3:30am, on the road by 4:45am and when you get in 3rd mainland bridge you will meet traffic st 5:45am, where the hell are y'all going? Did you even sleep at home? Truth is the well paying are mostly on the Island. Give me 300k Island with accommodation, I would not take because
1. The water is bad (it looks rusting from phase 1 down to some part in Ajah?
2. Foods are expensive
3. Accommodation is expensive

Your first sentence said, who are the we

My response is, we know ourselves
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by highchief1: 9:32am On Feb 24, 2023
lavylilly:
Start planning on having a side hustle, it longer funny in Nigeria
I don’t live in Africa bro.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Khaady605: 9:27pm On Feb 24, 2023
Thanks a lot for the advice Dear. I have been thinking towards the tutorial centre and the Cyber Cafe
lavylilly:

Tutorials Center
Cyber Cafe
Raw food selling
POS business

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Khaady605: 9:54pm On Feb 24, 2023
engrpheleeks:

Hmmmm, my dear... As we speak, I am currently jobless and though I'm not happy about it, but I have my sanity intact. Can you imagine that I got a teaching job early January as a science teacher in a private school. Their previous science went on maternity leave and I was employed to fill in the vacancy, pending when she'll be back. We had agreed on 32k and 3 subjects (physics, chemistry and maths js1-ss3). I said lemme manage it as job no dey. Only for them to add further maths and basic tech, on top 32k, that was after I resumed. I complained and they said when she resumes we will split the work... To cut the long story short, she resumed and they gave me the options of accepting 25k or resigning. From 32 to 25k. I resigned immediately and I was paid off
grin I can't stop laughing
My first experience was the one I taught in a primary around 2011-2016. It was a teacher per class, that is a teacher will teach all the subjects in the class, I taught 16 subject. U can imagine teaching from 8am to 2pm,wit loads of marking and lesson planning plus having to deal with extra curricular activities. Guess my salary! 12k per month. I endured becos I wanted to save money for my undergraduate programme.when I left that school, I worked in another school that was paying me 10k per month and I was assigned to teach basic 3 and 4, only me. My Dear it was not easy. But I'm determined to work for only myself now
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 11:35pm On Feb 25, 2023
Khaady605:
Thanks a lot for the advice Dear. I have been thinking towards the tutorial centre and the Cyber Cafe
Start now don't wait for all the money

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 11:38pm On Feb 25, 2023
shocked
frozen70:

Your first sentence said, who are the we

My response is, we know ourselves
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Vickho: 5:50pm On Feb 26, 2023
lavylilly:
Why are you tired of Lagos? Kindly state your reason(s)
hi I need a teaching job that comes with accommodation.
Also I graduated last year with a second class upper (B.Ed) from the University of Benin.
since then I don't have money to proceed for clearance.
Any job offer that can take me in for the intervening time that my statement of result is yet to be collected?
cc lavylilly
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Delightsome2023: 5:53pm On Feb 26, 2023
lavylilly:
I will keep you updated. What's your location in Benin?
boss good evening sorry I just got this message.
I reside in Ugbowo area by UBTH/UNIBEN.
I'll be so pleased to see your updates and I'll sure appreciate it either monetarily, gift or any means to show my gratitude.
You, Iyatola and Hamachi are really doing a good job of this forum and God will bless you all

3 Likes

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Hamachi(f): 9:08pm On Feb 26, 2023
Delightsome2023:
boss good evening sorry I just got this message.
I reside in Ugbowo area by UBTH/UNIBEN.
I'll be so pleased to see your updates and I'll sure appreciate it either monetarily, gift or any means to show my gratitude.
You, Iyatola and Hamachi are really doing a good job of this forum and God will bless you all
Prosperity MFB is your plug. Pay is 150k. All the best.
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by benzion72(m): 7:09am On Feb 27, 2023
Bank workers are endangered species now. She should gather enough experience and start her own school
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Prosperity4All: 8:01am On Feb 27, 2023
lavylilly:

Tutorials Center
Cyber Cafe
Raw food selling
POS business

Lavylilly good advice you have given here. And great insights from thegooddieyoung on the home lessons strategy. Besides a few Schools who pay upto N700k, Teaching in Nigeria has been reduced to Slave labour. Also Iyatola fados4sure and Hamachi kudos.
For engrpheleeks Khaady605 BinamRex chimeremodlyn toprealman ahamonyeka Dannydrums889 Delightsome2023 you guys should repackage your CV and look into indeed.com for Remote work opportunities. Also setup an Upwork account. You would be accepted if you select services in IT/ Tech. Listen, there are many no coding Tech jobs ( I will drop a YouTube link below for more insight)
From experience running a business in Nigeria ( side hustle) is not a walk in the park. I advise against any business that requires Electricity. So of your list only the Tutorial center is viable.
Vickho and co with B.Ed you can also explore the option of Teaching in the UK pathway which is currently open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUDONfgDXq8

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by Khaady605: 9:09pm On Feb 27, 2023
Thank you for the advice. I will surely work towards that
Prosperity4All:

Lavylilly good advice you have given here. And great insights from thegooddieyoung on the home lessons strategy. Besides a few Schools who pay upto N700k, Teaching in Nigeria has been reduced to Slave labour. Also Iyatola fados4sure and Hamachi kudos.
For engrpheleeks Khaady605 BinamRex chimeremodlyn toprealman ahamonyeka Dannydrums889 Delightsome2023 you guys should repackage your CV and look into indeed.com for Remote work opportunities. Also setup an Upwork account. You would be accepted if you select services in IT/ Tech. Listen, there are many no coding Tech jobs ( I will drop a YouTube link below for more insight)
From experience running a business in Nigeria ( side hustle) is not a walk in the park. I advise against any business that requires Electricity. So of your list only the Tutorial center is viable.
Vickho and co with B.Ed you can also explore the option of Teaching in the UK pathway which is currently open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUDONfgDXq8

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by IyaTola: 11:25pm On Feb 27, 2023
Khaady605:
Yes a kid any business that involves the electricity
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by IyaTola: 6:36am On Feb 28, 2023
wink
Khaady605:
Re: A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? by lavylilly: 7:17am On Feb 28, 2023
Vickho:
hi I need a teaching job that comes with accommodation.
Also I graduated last year with a second class upper (B.Ed) from the University of Benin.
since then I don't have money to proceed for clearance.
Any job offer that can take me in for the intervening time that my statement of result is yet to be collected?
cc lavylilly
Can you work as an Admin with accommodation? Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Can You Work As An International Relations Graduate? / Sharia Court Orders Tailor To Pay For Missing Clothes Or Go To Jail(photos) / What Is The Job Description Of A Compliance Officer In A Bank?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.