Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? (19550 Views)

Have You Tried Spending The Old Naira Notes, How Did It Go? / Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New / Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by CrownLands(m): 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2023
NAIRA SWAP: How do you purchase food items from the market?
1. Cash
2. USSD transfer
3. Banking App
4. POS terminals
5. Barter

Folks, how are you coping?
Traders, how is your sales this period?

10 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 20, 2023
CrownLands:
1. Cash
2. USSD transfer
3. Banking App
4. POS terminals
5. Barter

All this fake bloggers

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Davies25: 6:08pm On Feb 20, 2023
POS. 30 naira per one thousand naira in transfer.
Anything less than 5k, 100 naira charges.
Hmmn

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by fidelmarshal199: 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2023
CrownLands:
1. Cash
2. USSD transfer
3. Banking App
4. POS terminals
5. Barter

Never been to the market since the beginning of the scarcity. I can't pay 10 percent charges using the pos and I can't be number 200 on the queue in the bank

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by yomi007k(m): 8:27pm On Feb 20, 2023
fidelmarshal199:

Never been to the market since the beginning of the scarcity. I can't pay 10 percent charges using the pos and I can't be number 200 on the queue in the bank

My nigga... cool

Same here. If you no dey take transfer, no deal between us.

83 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Benblaq(m): 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
I haven't dropped anything during offertory collection for two Sundays now. The reason is fairly straightforward: no money at all. The church looks scanty and it's very obvious. If not that I am not to miss Sunday Masses I would have stayed back until things go back to normal. How I have come to shamelessly sit back during offertory is so amusingly crazy. Lol. Last Sunday dem call for tithe nobody come out. Everybody just dey carry gloomy face. Trek to church, trek come back. Women who sell basic commodities do not accept transfer, and even when you see a shop that accepts transfer you'll be praying for God to not let “Dem don debit me” “I never see alert ” to happen.

I was lucky on two occasions last week cos I saw some guys at the restaurant I eat who gave me money and I transferred to them. Unluckily for me last weekend I did a transfer to a guy who charged N150 per 1k. I was debited but MTN network was bad. I stood until my body and soul regretted being a Nigerian. Since we hardly find sincere people in our "corn tree", he refused to release the money and only gave me fare to my house, which according to him was a dash. We exchanged contacts and he called hours later that he has seen it. I got the money the next day.

In all, I believe with my whole heart that Nigeria shall be great again. Vote wisely this weekend, otherwise what we are facing now would be a child's play compared to what we will see, but God forbid bat thing.

143 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by cassyrooy(m): 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
I've hardly used cash these past few weeks.

Even to purchase water, bread, watch football, I've practically paid for these through transfers via Bank Apps (which sometimes work if I use VPN to open them) but people hardly transfer to me because they mainly use USSD and this has affected me negatively.

Na lockdown protocol I dey like this.

I no dey leave house say I wan enter motor go anywhere.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
God bless Opay and Palmpay for quick alerts on outgoing transactions.

God bless Unity bank, Gtb Bank, jaiz bank, Fidelity bank, for always successful transactions via Pos.

Finally God bless my beautiful people of Kebbi and sokoto, for accepting transfers for even purchases as low as 300 naira

I've not held more than 3k cash at a go since these Naira got redesigned.

I've not felt any pain all through

123 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
I don't even know what naira notes look like again

Transfer on a steady

I'm tired

My concern is even people living in villages. Unnecessary hardship.

Some local governments in Nigeria don't even have one ATM machine.

E be things

Vote Peter Obi sha

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by twosquare(m): 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
Mostly through bank transfers...I use my hard-gotten cash for transport mainly. Any other thing is through transfer...Even barbing my hair this evening was paid via transfer.

I am now switching to PalmPay after traditional bank apps showed me shege today. Will be going to the market tomorrow to get meat, etc...transfer too...

I have seen Okadas here that take transfer...hunger no go finish us...adapt or get run at loss..

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Coolsperm: 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
Tinubu is the major cause of this currency problem, Tinubu stole money Tru bullion van during last election

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Throwback: 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
Nigerians cannot wait for Tinubu to hit the ground running and do away with this anti-economic and anti-people policy.

Many children are no longer going to school due to lack of cash for transport and feeding.

Abubakar that sells Orange and Watermelon has been watching his customers walk past without stopping to buy, even when they have thousands in their bank account.

Most roads are quickly empty as people are staying indoors without cash to spend.

The economy is contracting.

Not many people are smart or understand the economy or how to grow one.

We will vote wisely and vote the economic genius to solve our problems.

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by TOYNEX(f): 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
As a nation, we've survived worse than this, just a little while, this too shall pass smiley
May God deliver Nigeria from wicked rulers and give us a compassionate leader.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Sonnobax15(m): 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
lipsrsealed
Personally,if I should start to narrate how this naira notes policy has affected me,it may end up looking like a different thread on its own....

The truth is that,as a keke rider,the rate at which passengers now board keke has reduced drastically...... everyone is complaining bitterly...Hunger rate don increase too..Na only God go fit know how many stranded passengers I dey help on a daily basis, because I know the kind of agony we all are being subjected to by this policy.....But it's well cha..

Meanwhile,I say make I waka find ATM wey dey dispense cash today,I almost waka lost lipsrsealed

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by CHIDINMALOVE: 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
Chai
Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by MITCHELL96: 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
Transfer, transfer, transfer!

10 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Throwback: 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
Coolsperm:
Tinubu is the major cause of this currency problem, Tinubu stole money Tru bullion van during last election

This one has realised that Peter Obi is on the wrong side of the masses suffering, he has to blame Tinubu to save face for the charlatan candidate that knows nothing about how economic growth is conceived.

The curse and bad omen will never unleash his wickedness and visionlessness on Nigeria, like he unleashed on Anambrarians.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Sarkin: 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
Tinubu would win. I have seen it.
Buhari and fellow scoundrels would go on exile.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Zico5(m): 8:54pm On Feb 20, 2023
Not easy o, thunder fire the scrotum of Buhari.

4 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by ATEAMS: 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by specialmati(m): 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin nothing serious on it .atleast it will make people not to except anyone coming to polling unit with bullion van to buy vote.so voting with little sense is POssible

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Almiron: 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
GTbank App, It can be frustrating atimes but it works eventually.

However, USSD(737) is dead, if you plan to pay with it, you'll wash plates laslas

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Edoreborn: 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
E choke ohhh

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by ThiefnubuBandit(f): 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
Peter the Rock is coming!!!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by VivaNG: 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
Time to find a wife. Olosho sef don dey cost and don't want bank transfer anymore.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by Calibrator: 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
No matter how bad the economy is, Lion no fit chop grass.

Thanks to my piggybank, I have been stockpiling new notes since January... Temporarily a POS dealer with humane charges cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by ayokunl: 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
Bank app

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by BluntCrazeMan: 8:56pm On Feb 20, 2023
MY EXPERIENCE OF CASHLESS TRANSFERS INSIDE A MARKET IN AWKA - ANAMBRA STATE

Today is Monday - 20th February, 2023.
(Other towns around Awka might be doing Sit-At-Home though; but here in Awka, there is nothing like that)

So, this morning, I decided to go to Eke-Awka Market and do my weekly re-stocking.

** I would like to state it categorically here, that last week Monday, I had to first-of-all buy the Old-Notes at 30%-charges from the POS-Operators in order to enter market, and I was asking the sellers ahead of time whether they would accept the old-notes before I would even enter their shops to start pricing. But today, the story was totally different.

Before today, within the past weekend, that is, after the official deadline of the usage of the old-notes, the Markets had already stopped accepting the old-notes, but then, there is serious shortage of the new notes..
They are not available in the banks, they are not available in the hands of the POS-Operators, they are not available in the Markets, they are not available anywhere..
And now, some of the market people had resorted to accepting cashless transfers, (since they do not have POS machines), while some are still rejecting the cashless transfers - they either collect cash, or they won't sell anything.

So today, I just have to go to the market in order to re-stock for the week.

It happened that, just the way I used to ask the sellers ahead of time last week whether they would accept old-notes, that was exactly the way I was asking the sellers again today ahead of time, whether they would accept cashless transfers.

Some of them accepted.
Some of them did not accept.

Even some of my familiar sellers - who used to call me their regular customer - did not agree to accept cashless transfer, and I had to leave them and find any other available seller that would accept cashless transfer for payment, in order to buy the things I needed.

I walked the length-and-bredth of the market today.
Not because I couldn't see what I wanted to buy, but because I couldn't easily find people who are ready to accept cashless transfers for payment.
At the end of the day, I was so tired and stressed-out.

The major reasons why they were rejecting the cashless transfers were that, The suppliers that they are buying the goods from in bulk do not accept cashless transfers, so if they accept cashless transfers themselves, they would not have their own physical cash at the end of the day for them to pay those suppliers in order to collect more goods to sell., since it would be very hard to get out the needed cash from their accounts. Others don't even have bank accounts in the first place.

And to the most embarrassing experience of it all --- the cashless transfer procedure itself.

There is not enough Data-Services Network Signals inside the Eke-Awka Market, no MTN, no 9mobile, no Airtel Data-Services Signals..
After buying anything, one would stand there and be retrying for many times to no end, trying to be lucky enough to find the slightest signals and have the transactions successfully completed.
Some times, bank-network down-time or overcrowding of the bank-network might also be part of the reasons the cashless transfer transactions were delaying.

NOBODY IN THE MARKET IS EVEN TALKING ABOUT THE CONTINUOUS CHARGES ON ALL THE TRANSACTIONS, (AND FOR THE USSD-SESSION CHARGES OF N6.98 FOR EACH SUCCESSFUL USSD-TRANSFER --- THAT IS, FOR THOSE THAT WERE USING THE USSD-OPTION).

At the end of the day,, all the charges for all those cashless transfers I did (that is, up to 11 transfers of varying amounts) were close to N250 (Two Hundred and Fifty Naira).

And again, the whole cashless transfer processes has already started to raise some serious security concerns.

There used to be serious phone thefts in markets, phone snatching, and broad-daylight robberies inside the markets, and the market securities as well as the Nigeria Police Force wouldn't do anything about them..

They would only be warning people (sellers and buyers alike) to stop coming to the market with their phones in order to avoid stories that touch the heart.

But with this recent development, there are going to be lots of phones coming to the market, and these phones would not be hidden any longer..
The phones will come out from their hiding places in order to perform their needed necessary duties of cashless transfers.

Thus, it is only a matter of time before the stories of broad-daylight phone robberies would return back to our markets again, unless something is done about the security system around our markets. Or maybe, if the cash becomes available. But for the meantime, we still need to bring out our phones inside the market in order to do cashless transfers.

Some religious fanatics might not come out open to tell you outrightly that the reason they are Not accepting transfer is because they are afraid of the Revelation Chapter-13 Verses16-&-17; which says that:
“16. The beast forced all the people, small and great, rich and poor, slave and free, to have a mark placed on their right-hands or on their foreheads.
17. No one could buy or sell without having this mark, that is, the beast's name or the number that stands for the name.”

Thus,, they were already assuming within themselves that the ‘Cashless Policy’ is the The Beast here, and that ‘Having A Bank Account’ is the same thing as Accepting the Mark of the Beast - by submitting one’s personal data to the Beast in order to have access to the Cashless Money.
Thus, they have decided not to have any account with any bank, in order not to accept the mark of the beast.
Such persons have already made up their minds to continue to suffer the current hardship of insufficient cash and wait patiently for whatever the unclear future holds, while those who have accepted the cashless policy should continue to buy and sell in their newly-found methods for the moment.
To them, “The Great Tribulation” had already started.

1. The Government, the CBN, and the Banks should minimize the Charges on Cashless Transfers.. Maybe, single transfers below N10,000 shouldn't be charged at all., But then, the accumulated transactions on any account by the end of everyday that are above N10,000 can be charged once by 11:59pm/12:00am. The charges at the end of everyday might have to be categorized and graded based on the range of the accumulated transaction-amounts by the end of the day.

2. The CBN’s threshold for the “Electronic Transfer Fee” should be N500,000.
N10,000 is too small for such a charge.
It doesn't encourage having money paid into people's bank accounts.
It's even worse that the “Electronic Transfer Fee” is also charged when someone pays CASH into someone's account,, not even transfer --- which is so bad

3. Phone-Network Service-Providers and the Data-Service Providers should upgrade their services., especially inside the major markets, and also within the markets that are inside the hinterlands too.. The same thing should also be applied to all the banks too. They should always ensure that their bank-networks are available, so that their customers would not be standing so embarrassed inside the markets while waiting for the cashless transfer transactions to become successful.

4. The Government as well as the Local Owners of the markets should do everything possible to increase the security system in the markets.

https://www.nairaland.com/7577249/experience-cashless-transfers-inside-market

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by creatorsverse(m): 8:56pm On Feb 20, 2023
It is no longer funny o, it keeps getting worse everyday by day.. I can't even go out to look for money....

The solution to this crisis and election is very simple.. we should have the three presidential candidate as rulers of the country, all three of them should rule simultaneously and help build the already destroyed nation... The reason for this is simple, if one person becomes the president, the power of aso rock will corrupt the person, if it is two person that becomes the president, the country will divide we've experienced it before (Biafra civil War)
But if it is three, three will balance the scale...three from the major tribes will balance the scale but come 25th of this month, I will cast my vote on.................

3 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by StrongAlphMale: 8:56pm On Feb 20, 2023
fidelmarshal199:

We're on the same page hommie grin

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? by markidoo(m): 8:56pm On Feb 20, 2023
Even to go the Federal government work see ba wahala

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N3.6 Billion Debt: AMCON Takes Over Bao Yao Firms In Abuja & Calabar / Requirements For Incorporating A Private Limited Liability Company In Nigeria / Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.