Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,209 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Ramadan Is Knocking - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ramadan Is Knocking (13622 Views)

Ramadan Is Here Again: What's Your Spiritual Plan / Ramadan Is Almost Here; What Are Your Plans For It? / Ramadan Is Here, Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by beelyjay45(m): 6:46pm On Aug 30, 2007
Ramadan is the holy month in the muslim calendar where God ask us to fast 4 30 or 29 days respectively
God also ask us purify ourselves from all our evil deeds and do more of good deed, read the holy quran, and give, give n give more to d needy
Ma salam
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by isholababz(m): 7:06pm On Aug 30, 2007
may almighty ALLAH bless u 4 ur information,thanks so much my aljannah candidate maasalammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by yewaman1(m): 7:09pm On Aug 30, 2007
@poster
I am not a Muslim, but av lots of family members who are
so may all your hearts desires be yours during this peroid

O ye who believe!
Bow down and prostrate in prayer
and worship your Lord and do good deeds
That you may prosper
(Q.22:78)

ma salam
cool
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by yobolala(f): 7:11pm On Aug 30, 2007
RE: RAMADAN IS KNOCKING

Salam alykum,  thanks for this information.  This serves as a reminder to me to complete my left over ramandan of last year.   I quickly make up before 12th Sept.

Wishing you all ramandan kareem.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by auwal87(m): 7:57pm On Aug 30, 2007
Ramadan is Very Near

Share your advise, Discuss on General Issues on Islam, and others as well, Discuss in English, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, as you wish!!

Hook unto WWW.WAZOBIYA.COM Now!

See you There!!!
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Horus(m): 8:07pm On Aug 30, 2007
Ask the Orthodox Sunni Muslims (and any other Ramadan refrainers), why do Muslims only fast one month in commemoration of the revelation of the Koran? When the Koran was revealed over a period of 23 years (Koran 17:106)?

They don’t know. The Koran states:

Al Qur'aan 17:106 (In Arabic) (Originally the 50th chapter revealed in Mecca, 618 AD - verses 26, 32, 33, 57, 73-80 revealed in Medina)
And it’s a Qur'aan which we (Allah and the angelic beings) divided into portions (received over a period of 23 years; divided into 114 chapters and 6,204 verses, 30 parts, 7 stages) in order for you (Muhammad) to read it to the people gradually (deliberately). – translation by As Sayyid Isa Al Haadi Al Mahdi.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by osisi5: 8:15pm On Aug 30, 2007
so you want them to fast 23 months? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2007
I just love the month.It's an opportunity to get a great amount of rewards.I pray me and the muslims who would fast are among those who benefit from it.Amin.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by iyaaje(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2007
abeg if ramadan wan enter make he enter,make him no break my door with him knock.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by MP007(m): 6:30am On Aug 31, 2007
i greet yall muslim folks in here, happy celebration of whatever u are celebrating , just thought i show yall some love although we differ in many ways, what it do
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mashaun(m): 7:42am On Aug 31, 2007
FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE UMMAH,[b][/b][color=#006600][/color][center][/center]
Ramadan 2007

Quran Verses about Ramadan & Fasting
[2:183] O you who believe, fasting is decreed for you, as it was decreed for those before you, that you may attain salvation.

2:183-187. Like all duties in Submission, fasting was decreed through Abraham
(22:78). Prior to revelation of the Quran, sexual intercourse was prohibited throughout the fasting period. This rule is modified in 2:187 to allow intercourse during the nights of Ramadan.
[2:184] Specific days (are designated for fasting); if one is ill or traveling, an equal number of other days may be substituted. Those who can fast, but with great difficulty, may substitute feeding one poor person for each day of breaking the fast. If one volunteers (more righteous works), it is better. But fasting is the best for you, if you only knew.
[2:185] Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed, providing guidance for the people, clear teachings, and the statute book. Those of you who witness this month shall fast therein. Those who are ill or traveling may substitute the same number of other days. GOD wishes for you convenience, not hardship, that you may fulfill your obligations, and to glorify GOD for guiding you, and to express your appreciation.
[2:186] When My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they pray to Me. The people shall respond to Me and believe in Me, in order to be guided.
[2:187] Permitted for you is sexual intercourse with your wives during the nights of fasting. They are the keepers of your secrets, and you are the keepers of their secrets. GOD knew that you used to betray your souls, and He has redeemed you, and has pardoned you. Henceforth, you may have intercourse with them, seeking what GOD has permitted for you. You may eat and drink until the white thread of light becomes distinguishable from the dark thread of night at dawn. Then, you shall fast until sunset. Sexual intercourse is prohibited if you decide to retreat to the Masjid (during the last ten days of Ramadan). These are GOD's laws; you shall not transgress
them. GOD thus clarifies His revelations for the people, that they may attain salvation.

The Meaning of Ramadan
Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives. There are as many meanings of Ramadan as there are Muslims.
The third "pillar" or religious obligation of Islam (submission in English), fasting has many special benefits. Among these, the most important is that it is a means of learning self-control. Due to the lack of preoccupation with the satisfaction of bodily appetites during the daylight hours of fasting, a measure of ascendancy is given to one's spiritual nature, which becomes a means of coming closer to God. Ramadan is also a time of intensive worship, reading of the Quran, giving charity, purifying one's behavior, and doing good deeds. For Muslims (Submitters), Ramadan is an opportunity to gain by giving up, to prosper by going without and to grow stronger by enduring weakness.
As a secondary goal, fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to thankfulness and appreciation for all of God's bounties. Fasting is also beneficial to the health and provides a break in the cycle of rigid habits or overindulgence.
Who Fasts in Ramadan?
Fasting in Ramadan is obligatory on those who can do it. . Sick people and some travelers in certain conditions are exempted from the fast but must make it up as they are able.
From Dawn to Sunset
The daily period of fasting starts at the breaking of dawn and ends at the setting of the sun. In between -- that is, during the dawn and daylight hours -- Muslims (Submitters) totally abstain from food, drink, smoking, and sex. The usual practice is to have a pre-fast meal (suhoor) before dawn and a post-fast meal (iftar) after sunset.
The Islamic lunar calendar, being 11 to 12 days shorter than the Gregorian calendar, migrates throughout the seasons. Thus, if Ramadan begins on January 20 one year, next year it will begin on January 9. In this way, the length of the day, and thus the fasting period, varies in length from place to place over the years. Every Muslim, no matter where he or she lives, will see an average Ramadan day of the approximately 13.5 hours.
Devotion to God
The last ten days of Ramadan are a time of special spiritual power as everyone tries to come closer to God through devotions and good deeds. The night on which the Quran was revealed to the Prophet, known as the Night of Power (Lailat ul-Qadr), is generally taken to be the 27th night of the month. The Quran states that this night is better than a thousand months. Therefore many Muslims (Submitters) spend the entire night in prayer.
During the month, Muslims (Submitters) try to read as much of the Quran as they can. Some spend part of their day listening to the recitation of the Quran in a mosque. meet for Quranic studies or for congregation prayers. Some spend the last ten days of Ramadan in a mosque devoting the whole ten days for worshipping God.
Better than a 1000 months
[97:1] We revealed it (Quran) in the Night of Destiny.
[97:2] How awesome is the Night of Destiny!
[97:3] The Night of Destiny is better than a thousand months.
[97:4] The angels and the Spirit descend therein, by their Lord's leave, to carry out every command.
[97:5] Peaceful it is until the advent of the dawn.
Food in Ramadan
Since Ramadan is a special time, Muslims (Submitters) in many parts of the world prepare certain favorite foods during this month. Since Ramadan emphasizes community aspects and since everyone eats dinner at the same time, Muslims often invite one another to share in the Ramadan evening meal.
Some Muslims (Submitters) find that they eat less for dinner during Ramadan than at other times due to stomach contraction. However, as a rule, most Muslims experience little fatigue during the day since the body becomes used to the altered routine during the first week of Ramadan.
THINGS TO DO
During the holy month of Ramadan, Muslims fast from dawn to dusk for the entire month, an act that brings joy and contentment to every Muslim who experiences the practice. We pray that this blessed month brings divine blessings to all of us.

This year, Muslims celebrate the month of fasting during some very challenging times. Islam and Muslims are under microscopic investigation. Every day new terms are coined to describe Islam. Sometimes, the believing Muslims are described as radical Islamists and Islamo-fascists. Often, our faith is linked with terror and we are accused of crimes that we ourselves discover when we open the front page of newspapers.

In times of difficulty, our only source of strength is our faith in the absolute power of God. We know that if we have His protection and guidance, we will be able to overcome all the challenges that surround us.

This month of Ramadan is giving us yet one more opportunity to re-dedicate ourselves to the absolute power of the divine and refocus our lives to worshipping Him and Him alone. Each of us can develop an individual plan to benefit from and we can all do something extra to earn some additional grace from God, the Almighty.

Here are a few suggestions that we can look into:

1. Let us make it a habit to visit the mosque as often as possible but atlas once a day with our families.

2. Let us make it a habit to break fast with fellow Muslims in the mosque at least once a week.

3. Let us invite our non-Muslim friends and neighbors to join us in the breaking of our fasts.

4. Let us pool our efforts and resources to feeding the homeless.

5. Let us be extra-generous and donate our money to worthy causes.

6. Let us encourage our children to offer taraweeh prayers with us at the mosque.

7. Let us at least try to complete reading the Quran with meaning once.

8. Let us ensure that we mend our relations with everyone regardless of the mistakes on the part of others.

9. Let us spend some time in seclusion at night praying to the Almighty.

10. Let us ensure that we will not hurt anyone and control our anger in all situations

12. Let us spend more time with our families especially in breaking the fast.

13. Let us make sure that we don't miss our Fajr prayer and pray all the other prayers on time.

14. Let us donate at least one book on Islam to a local library.

15. Let us ensure that we offer Zakat ul Fitr ahead of Eid prayers so that the poor and the needy can make use of it in an appropriate manner.

Let us place our trust in Allah in everything that we do. May Allah accept our ibada.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by olatunjiyy: 8:14am On Aug 31, 2007
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Every day during this month, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast.
During the blessed month of Ramadan, Muslims all over the world abstain from food, drink, and other physical needs during the daylight hours. As a time to purify the soul, refocus attention on God, and practice self-sacrifice, Ramadan is much more than just not eating and drinking.
Muslims are called upon to use this month to re-evaluate their lives in light of Islamic guidance. We are to make peace with those who have wronged us, strengthen ties with family and friends, do away with bad habits -- essentially to clean up our lives, our thoughts, and our feelings. The Arabic word for "fasting" (sawm)literally means "to refrain" - and it means not only refraining from food and drink, but from evil actions, thoughts, and words.

During Ramadan, every part of the body must be restrained.

The tongue must be restrained from backbiting and gossip. The eyes must restrain themselves from looking at unlawful things. The hand must not touch or take anything that does not belong to it. The ears must refrain from listening to idle talk or obscene words. The feet must refrain from going to sinful places. In such a way, every part of the body observes the fast.
Therefore, fasting is not merely physical, but is rather the total commitment of the person's body and soul to the spirit of the fast. Ramadan is a time to practice self-restraint; a time to cleanse the body and soul from impurities and re-focus one's self on the worship of God.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by salehm(m): 9:47am On Aug 31, 2007
Marhababikum Ya Ramadan
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by showbobo(m): 9:50am On Aug 31, 2007
Thanks all y'all, i must break the jinx and fast this year but please let me know the exact day we would be starting and the ASHAMU night, what dates are they gonna be?
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Gettolove(m): 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2007
hAppY raMaDaN to all.

Hope i will fast this year with less pressure and harrasment from girls that come to my office for modelling job.

Cant close my eyes grin
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by dejiavu(m): 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2007
Salam to all MUSLIMS

The month is worth looking forward to because during this month ALMIGHTY ALLAH multiply the reward of good thing youdo ( reading of holy Quran, listeing to lecture, waking-up @ midnight and pray before the sahur proper etc) Doing these will make us gain more rewards from HIM. Brothers and sisters let us utilize this month very well. MA SALAM
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by dejiavu(m): 2:49pm On Aug 31, 2007
Salam to all MUSLIMS

The month is worth looking forward to because during this month ALMIGHTY ALLAH multiply the reward of good thing youdo ( reading of holy Quran, listeing to lecture, waking-up @ midnight and pray before the sahur proper etc) Doing these will make us gain more rewards from HIM. Brothers and sisters let us utilize this month very well.   MA SALAM
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Horus(m): 9:44pm On Aug 31, 2007
Ramadan breath is a very foul odor. You Muhammadans with your hadith have the nerve to say that Allah will pardon one’s Ramadan breath, and that it likened to the scent of paradise, what nonsense. You mean to tell me paradise smells like a sewer system that can be found right here on earth. Scientifically speaking, the digestive system is not voluntary controlled. The digestive system is an involuntary system; so whether you eat or don’t eat, it is still going to secrete gastric juices, pepsin and hydrochloric acids, which digest the remains on the lining of the stomach. Meaning, the feces that is left on the lining of the stomach is being re-digested over and over again, which is why you have foul-smelling breath during Ramadan, that you seem to take so much pride in having.
I also would like to know where does it state, in the Koran, “you will be hated,” if you use toothpaste? With that stench in your mouth, during the fasting in Ramadan, you, Muhammadans should be running to the stores, grabbing all of the toothpaste off the shelves. Because the miswaks (little bark from trees that take like licorice) are not working. By the way, miswaks are very bad for your teeth, although you say Muhammad used it. Dentists today have proven that it only pushes your teeth back, making them loose and yellow. And, it does not contain any fluoride; therefore, it is not beneficial to your teeth, unless you want no teeth by the time you reach middle age.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mukina2: 10:02pm On Aug 31, 2007
grin grin grin

@ topic
Ramadan Kareem to us all . .

@ Getto love
keep us fast holy o wink
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by pmdaboh(f): 2:41am On Sep 01, 2007
[b]@lukmond

Hello. I too am also a Christian and have a Muslim friend. I researched Ramadan when I read this thread, and according to what I found, Ramadan is observed for it honors the time when the angel Gabriel gave the Koran to Muhammad. It is a rememberance tribute in honor of that event. Ramadan is typically observed for 30 days. Muslims increase their prayers (usually 5 times a day), in which they worship and seek religious direction for their lives. Also, during the Ramadan observation, Muslims cannot eat nor drink nor have sex during the daylight hours. During the Ramadan, Muslims are suppose to feed the poor as well. There are probably many more things associated with Ramadan, but these are just a few things in which I researched after I read about it on nairaland. I found it peculiar that my friend, whom we are very close, did not mention Ramadan to me at all. But perhaps that is part of its observation (not proclaiming one's abstinence from food, drink, and sex). I just talked to him about it today, and he assured me he would explain it more fully. I read where you asked about its meaning, and you did not get a reply. Therefore, I wanted to get back with you, and at the same time, educate myself in the process.

If I have left something out and someone wants to elaborate more on the Ramadan, please feel free to do so. Even though Lukmond and I are Christians, that does not mean that we do not care about what goes on in the Muslim world. After all, we both have Muslim friends.

[center]LUKMOND, I COPIED AND PASTED THIS FROM THE WEBSITE WHERE I GOT MY INFORMATION FROM
The Holiday of Ramadan [/center]
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. This month lasts 29 or 30 days and occurs during different seasons depending on the cycle of the calendar. It is believed that during this month the Qur'an or Koran was given to Muhammad by the angel Gabriel. In 2004, Ramadan will Occur on or about October 16.

The fast of Ramadan lasts the entire month. During Ramadan, Muslims are not allowed to eat or drink during the daylight hours. All those who have reached the age of puberty (usually 12 years of age) are expected to observe the fast. Sexual abstinence is also practiced during these hours. Each day a special effort is made to say the five daily prayers. Muslims are also expected to feed a poor person during this month. Ramadan is also a time for Muslims to concentrate on the practice of their faith. Time is spent praying, worshipping, contemplating, and receiving religious instruction. Muslims give thanks for the gift of the Koran. If one is ill or on a journey during Ramadan, one can fast the same number of days that were missed at a later time.

The fast is broken at sunset and begins again the next morning when there is enough light to distinguish a black thread from a white thread. The morning prayer is said after suhur, the pre-dawn meal.

During Ramadan, there is a festival-type atmosphere after sunset. In many cities Muslims go out after they have broken the fast to visit family and friends or to simply take a walk. Shopping areas and restaurants are open and busy and alive with conversation. On the 27th day of Ramadan, fireworks are often set off to celebrate the night of power-the night that Muhammed first received revelation of the Koran in 610.

Ramadan is a time to celebrate and give thanks for the gift of the Koran. It is a time to remember the poor, to practice self-mastery, and to recommit one's self to the Islamic faith.

The end of Ramadan is a joyous occasion known as Eid-el-Fitr, typically lasting three days. It is known as the festival of ever-recurring happiness and is celebrated with special prayers, feasts, sweets and gift giving. The time is also known as Kurban Bayrami, Hari Raya Puasa in South East Asia and Seker Bayrami in Turkey. I hope that helps.

Reference:

[http://www.mideastweb.org/ramadan.htm
[/b]
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by diyobdw(f): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2007
Well done people expect may its joy and bless be upon us all.And i hope help sit open the eye of the "blinds" too

MA sallam!

Knowledge is for does who care enough to find it! wink
here a nice article on it "Ramadan: It's Not Just a Food Fast"
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/199/story_19983_1.html
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by talk2ahmed(m): 4:09pm On Sep 01, 2007
Wonderful responses , May Allah continue to bless us all AMIN.
Share gifts
Break ur fast on time(not b4 tym)
Do adhkars,
Avoid wasting ur time on TV except for Educative and Iman-Refreshing programs
Share water,dates and fruits for Iftar(U stand a chance of Doubling and Trippling ur Fast Rewards)
Just be good and generous the more.
Thanks Chilla for the responses to lukmond and others.
Any1 cares for Ramadan Quiz, So we cud share ramadan Issues before Ramadan comes finally
I realise many make mistake cos they couldnt ask scholars and they couldnt ask friends
(NYT CALLS FOR RAMADAN UpDATES-08054533403)
NB, Between now and 10th Sept(Pls no calls During Ramadan Nyts, Thanks)
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mukina2: 4:29pm On Sep 01, 2007
lol , , u r right

some people spend all the time sleeping embarassed

and thats not good

its recommended that you recite the Quran or visit the mosque and listen to Scholar's talks or the recitation of the Holy Quran
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Bomi(m): 7:13am On Sep 02, 2007
hello man Good
U all MAde me Happy about talking about Ramadan
GOOD
one of my friend is Nonmuslim,he want to know about it?
can u plz explin in english?
thx u All
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Pashoman(m): 3:46pm On Sep 02, 2007
u see people like +osisi see islam as a violet religion but they have not bothered to see reasons why some islamic countries and communities behave the way they behave. these things range from oppression to deprivation and the so called western ideology being impossed on these countries and communities. People should go back to history and see what obtained in the islamic countries and what its there now. People try to protect there way of life and some pple feel that they have a better way of life which they want to give. The point is that pple should learn to live with muslims as equals. wishing my brothers and sisters happy Ramadan and may ALLAH accept our acts of Ibada in the month.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by almoh(m): 5:05pm On Sep 02, 2007
Ramadan is the month when all eligible and heathy muslims abstain from food, drinks sexual intercourse etc from sunrise to sunset. it is the easiest way of restrianing oneself from the excesses of life and an opportunity for you to reflect and fell how the poor ones in society feel all the time. it serves to help you curb bad habits like smoking (since you must abstain all day), excess sexual desire etc etc,

The fasting day starts with the predawn meal WHICH DISTINGUISHES THE MUSLIM FAST FROM ALL OTHER KIND OF FASTING. It also serves to show that THE RAMADAN FAST IS NOT A PUNISHMENT.

It is a time when ALLAH show limitless mercy to the peole and SHAYTAN THE SNEAKING WHISPERER IS CHAINED, hANDCUFFED, SHACKLED and Stopped. This makes ramadan a time when one can easily put his act together and curtial his weaknesses.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Pashoman(m): 8:00pm On Sep 02, 2007
hey Horus we are not Mohammedans we are MUSLIMS. u see thats the problem with pple like u . they are the type of pple that call all beard wearing Muslims in the UK terrorist cos the fail to see reasons and learn about Islam and Muslim since they alreay have a stereotypye image of what a Muslim is and not. we should try and explain what our religion entails so that pple like dis will understand better that is if they really wanna understand
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by hayprof(m): 1:34am On Sep 03, 2007
Ramadan Kareem!!

-What day/date is the take of??
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Pashoman(m): 8:35am On Sep 03, 2007
its either on the 12th or 13th of dis month Insha Allah
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by bobbyan(m): 9:08am On Sep 03, 2007
Marhababikun Ya Rahamadan Marhababikun Ya Rahamadan Marhababikun Ya Rahamadan Marhababikun Ya Rahamadan Marhababikun Ya Rahamadan!!!! Welcome Rahamadan Welcome Rahamadan Welcome Rahamadan Welcome Rahamadan Welcome Rahamadan!!!!! It is either 12th or 13th of sept. Inshall Allah.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Khaskeem: 2:58pm On Sep 03, 2007
Salam Salam to my good people in the house both my brother in Islam and other Beleivers in oneness of Allah.ramadan is nocking at the door which is is month of blessing and ant good thing you can talk of, but my advice to market Women is not to use this medium to Increase the the price of consumable time.
because it's happen every year. Masalam
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by nuru(m): 10:08pm On Sep 03, 2007
@ PMDABOH,

Thanks for that posting. This is what muslims expect from people of other faiths. To understand and respect what we muslims believe and not to belittle them. Thanks gain.

Morhaban bika Ya Ramadan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Does Women’s Hijab Have To Be Black? / Two Pilgrims From Lagos And Kano Die In Saudi Arabia / Muslim Should Avoid Fights And Arguments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.