Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,483 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Ramadan Is Knocking - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ramadan Is Knocking (13621 Views)

Ramadan Is Here Again: What's Your Spiritual Plan / Ramadan Is Almost Here; What Are Your Plans For It? / Ramadan Is Here, Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by pmdaboh(f): 1:27am On Sep 04, 2007
@NURU

You are welcome! smiley
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by tng(f): 1:09pm On Sep 04, 2007
Ramadan Mubarak to all muslims. May Allah in His infinite mercy accept our ibadah. amin.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by talk2ahmed(m): 6:36pm On Sep 04, 2007
Wonderful responses , May Allah continue to bless us all AMIN.
Share gifts
Break your fast on time(not before time)
Do adhkars,
Avoid wasting your time on TV except for Educative and Iman-Refreshing programs
Share water,dates and fruits for Iftar(You stand a chance of Doubling and Trippling your Fast Rewards)
Just be good and generous the more.
Any1 cares for Ramadan Quiz, So we cud share ramadan Issues before Ramadan comes finally
I realise many make mistake because they couldnt ask scholars and they couldnt ask friends
(NYT CALLS FOR RAMADAN UpDATES mail me ; rilwanonline@yahoo.com
NB, Between now and 10th Sept(Please no calls During Ramadan Nyts, Thanks)
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by fataiiyo(m): 7:42pm On Sep 04, 2007
Thanks to all the muslim brothers and sisiters in the house, may almighty Allha bless us and be with us.amen
masalam.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by kbstar(m): 8:25pm On Sep 04, 2007
Alhamdulillahi! Ramadahan is here again.

Wishing all my muslim brother and sisters a wholesome blessing throughout the period. May Allah accept our Ibaddah and prayers.

We should not forget the sufferings of our fellow muslims in Iraq, Palestine, Afghansitan, Somalia, Pakistan, Chechnya and other muslim nations around the world. We should endeavour to pray for them, aid them in our various capacities and above all, show sympathy towards them.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala make us witness more and more of this great month in our life time. Jazzakallahu Khairan to the brother who psoted this thread and all positive contributors!

Ramadhan Mubarak!

Abdulkabir
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by naijadiva2(f): 8:54pm On Sep 04, 2007
like for real, i thought ramadan was in december.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by aloib(f): 4:12am On Sep 05, 2007
wish u guys a happy ramadan!! ma salaam grin
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by jinworm: 8:01am On Sep 05, 2007
Thank Ahmed for posting this topic. May Allah bless u for that.
May Allah accept our Ibadat thru out the month of Ramadan and beyound.
Allhamdullah.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by WarfyBoy(m): 8:27am On Sep 05, 2007
congrat to u muslim guys, wish u all success
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by ayeesha: 11:07am On Sep 05, 2007
may Allah (swt) bless us in this month of Ramadan and may he help us all to become better muslims even after Ramadan has ended. Ramadan kareem to the muslim ummah!
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by chilla(f): 11:18am On Sep 05, 2007
Salaam ya Ikhwatul Muslimeen,

Hope u r all preparn towards Ramadan. Its already here jst counting days or is it hours.

Pls dear Brothers and Sisters, try as much as possible to avoid anythn evil. Say NO to all.

Recitation of the Holy Quran, Dhikr and Nafilats should be ur companion, and to fellow ladies,

watch what u put on, it matters alot. Dnt wear anythn that wl expose ur body.

Note that as u fast, everypart of u fasts.I urge us all 2 be steadfast in our worship.

May we witness the beginning and the end of the period Hale and Hearty physically, mentally n spiritually.

Ramadan Kareem

Alhamdulillahi ala ni'matil Islam.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Gettolove(m): 11:59am On Sep 05, 2007
Ramadan: It's Not Just a Food Fast

Ramadan, the ninth month in the Islamic calendar, is special to millions of Muslims worldwide as a holy period dedicated to fasting, self-purification, and spiritual attainment. Every year the world’s Muslims redesign their life to focus on the goals of Ramadan: A whole-body awareness of God and a humble thankfulness for whatever blessings He has granted.

But Ramadan in non-Muslim countries can be more challenging, as Muslims try to navigate the requirements and recommendations of Ramadan--fasting from sunrise to sunset, fitting in the five daily prayers at their appointed times, attending special evening tarawih prayers at the mosque, and reading the Qur’an each day for an entire month--while juggling the demands of work, school, and family.

Here are five practices I’ve found helpful in simplifying and spiritualizing my Ramadan experience. And if you’re not a Muslim, these tips can be adapted to make your daily life a little more spiritual and uncomplicated. .
Take the remembrance of God inward.
Do dhikr (reciting short du’as, or supplications) silently while you’re driving, waiting in line somewhere, or doing endless household tasks. Keep a thasbi (the equivalent of a Muslim rosary) in your purse or pocket and use it to count off du’as.

Not Muslim?
Spending whatever downtime you have to remember God or peacefully meditate is a great idea for everyone. Thousands of hours go by every year in our work commutes, in chauffeuring our kids around, in keeping the house going. Why not try to use that time to quiet our minds, remind ourselves of a higher being, and appreciate what we’ve been given?

2. Appreciate technology, and then tune it out. In past Ramadans I always went on a sort of technology crash diet--television, music, inane web surfing, and movies were all self-banned for 30 days. All the extra time was designated for reading Qur’an, praying, and reconnecting with my family. Well, crash diets never work in the long term, and technology does keep the world connected.

So the better thing to do is to use technology wisely: Use your email to stay in contact with friends and family and see how their month is going, get the news from television and the Internet, watch one favorite TV show to wind down, and use your ipod to listen to Muslim books or Qur’anic prayers. And then, when basic needs have been met, turn the technology off and take the extra time to pray and reconnect.

Not Muslim? The same rule can apply. Use the technology to do what you need to do for work and family. But then, instead of spending hours surfing the web or TV channels, fight the urge and tune out. Discover your family, and discover meditation and prayer. You can start slow--cut out an hour of web surfing (or one TV program) every week and build up.

3. Have iftar (the fast-breaking meal) together as a family a couple of times a week.
Having iftar as a family more often should be easier this Ramadan. Muslims follow a lunar calendar, which moves Ramadan back 10 days earlier each year. This year nearly half of the month will progress with iftar time being around 7 p.m.--late enough for the family to be home together. Breaking fast with the family is a great opportunity to appreciate one another’s holy efforts and discuss spiritual topics.

Not Muslim? The family dinner is a concept hammered home by family and social organizations. Even some television stations, like Nickelodeon, show promos advising us to “Make time for the family table.” A weekly or bi-weekly family dinner is a great time to reconnect, to learn about each other, and to discuss a designated list of topics that are of interest to your family.

4. Do new types of sadaqa (acts of goodness and charity), and take comfort that what you already do for family and friends is sadaqa as well.
I used to get discouraged each Ramadan (especially once I was a parent), that I couldn’t properly do those things recommended to Muslims during Ramadan: Go for tarawih prayers in the evening, or read the entire Qur’an. But my mom and mother-in-law gave me sound insight: Everything you do for the comfort of your family is sadaqa and a way of worshipping God.

That being said, Ramadan is still a great time to try new acts of charity and goodness: Put aside a can of food a day and donate it all when the month is up; Cook a few dishes and take them to your mosque for those come there to have iftar; Volunteer at your child’s school for the month and offer to do a Ramadan presentation to explain why your child is fasting.

Not Muslim? Recognizing the things you do for family and friends as acts of goodness that are acknowledged by God is a great step toward achieving inner spirituality. But take a step out of your comfort zone to tackle one small charitable project each month, whether it’s donating a little money each day to your favorite charity or taking charge of your office’s annual volunteer project.

5. Get to the mosque and reconnect with your community. For many Muslim, about the only time they can find to go to the mosque is for Friday prayers, or on Sunday when scores of kids take part in Muslim Sunday school. During Ramadan, why not make the mosque an integral part of worship? Go there for as many tarawih prayers as you can, especially the end ones when the Qur’an is being completed. Pick one day a week and go to your mosque for iftar. It’s amazing how good we feel to see others fasting and striving as much as we are, and it can renew our strength to face the next week of fasting with vigor and joy.

Not Muslim? If you are religious, try visiting your church, synagogue, or temple outside of worship services. You may meet different people and partake in different experiences that can replenish your spiritual well. If you don’t favor any particular house of worship, designate some spot--a park or your backyard at sunset--where you feel some calm and visit it with family or friends, free of mental distractions, and with a focus on each other.

RAMADAN KAREEM

source:

BELIEFNET
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by needeeg(m): 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2007
The fourth pillar of Islam, which is fasting, is practiced during the month of Ramadan. Ramadan is derived from an Arabic word for intense heat and scorched ground. (in Arabic: رمضان, Ramaḍān) – or Ramzan in several countries – and it is the ninth month of the Islamic (Hijri) calendar, established in the year 638 CE. It is considered the most venerated, blessed and spiritually-beneficial month of the Islamic year. Prayers, fasting, charity, and self-accountability are especially stressed at this time; religious observances associated with Ramadan are kept throughout the month.

"Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed, providing guidance for the people, clear teachings, and the statute book. Those of you who witness this month shall fast therein. Those who are ill or traveling may substitute the same number of other days. Allah wishes for you convenience, not hardship, that you may fulfill your obligations, and to glorify Allah for guiding you, and to express your appreciation."[2:185]

The most holy night during the Ramadan, Laylat al-Qadr (Night of Power). It has more blessing than a thousand months. the Quran Chapter 97

During Ramadan, Muslims are also expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam as well as refraining from anger, envy, greed, lust, sarcastic retorts, backstabbing, and gossip. They are encouraged to read the Qur'an. Sexual intercourse during fasting in the day is not allowed but is permissible after the fast (when referring to sexual intercourse, it is intended to mean with one's spouse alone, as all pre- and extra-marital relations are strictly forbidden in Islam). Obscene and irreligious sights and sounds are to be avoided. Purity of both thought and action is important. The fast is intended to be an exacting act of deep personal worship in which Muslims seek a raised level of closeness to God. The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the inner soul and free it from harm. Properly observing the fast is supposed to induce a comfortable feeling of peace and calm. It also allows Muslims to practice self-discipline, sacrifice, as well as sympathy for those who are less fortunate, intending to make Muslims more generous and charitable.

In addition to fasting, Muslims are encouraged to read the entire Qur'an.

Sunni Muslims tend to perform the recitation of the entire Qur'an by means of special prayers, called Tarawih, which are held in the mosques every night of the month, during which a whole section of the Qur'an (‘Juz', which is 1/30 of the Qur'an) is recited, so that by the end of the month the entire Qur'an has been completed. Tarawih is an Arabic phrase referring to those extra prayers. This prayer is performed after salah of Isha'a. Sunnis believe it is customary to attempt a khatm (complete recitation) of the Qur'an in Ramadan by reciting at least one juz per night in Tarawih. These are done in remembrance of the fact that the revelation of the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad was begun during Ramadan.

Shia Muslims view this prayer as a Bid'ah and caution all to stay away from it. Instead of performing Tarawih, Shia Muslims perform the night prayer during Ramadan just like any other night. This night prayer performed every night is called Qiyam al-layl, better known as Tahajjud.[1] It must be noted, that Shia Muslims also attempt to read the entire Qur'an by the end of the month.

Wishing all the muslems around the world, happy Ramadan in advance!
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mimiko(f): 2:54pm On Sep 05, 2007
this is to wish all the muslim brothers and sisters a woderful month of Holliness i pray that we all find it mandatory to take part of this wonderful religious practice.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by DisGuy: 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2007
grin Hope i can fast this year grin
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 05, 2007
@Geetolove and needeeg,
It was quite nice that you shared as much info as you did on the topic.Keep the good work up. smiley
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Maidamma: 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2007
Assalamualaikum to all muslim Ummah,may Allah's Rahma be on us as we await this holy month.PLease I'll like 2 remaind us that it is not only 4 we Muslims 2 stay awy 4rm drink n food but 2 increase our Ibadat n purify our soul 4rm Wrong actions.May Allah help us in this comin holy month of Rhama(Ramadan) to carry out deeds that will please HIM.My muslim brother n Sisters remember nothing is certain on Earth accept Death, MA Salam
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mashaun(m): 7:37am On Sep 06, 2007
@rowlandwhy,
read some essence of ramadahn from friends

[/color]Dear Brother, Ramadan is a holy month set aside for fasting. Its a very Holy month whr all evils(spirits n Devils) are tied up to allow a free flow of worship. Its a very rewarding month where each good act of worship is multiplied by 10 n subsequently multiplied into 100s, 1000s n infinity. Its that same month that the Holy Qur'an was revealed.

The actual date of Ramadan depends on when the moonis sighted, if this month called Shaaban ends on the 29th,the new moon for the holy month would be sighted that nyt n fastn will commence the follown day whc is 12th of September, but if its 30 days,the moon wl be sighted that day n then ramadan wl commence the following day whc will be 13th of Sept. It all depends on when the moon is sighted ok.

So Ramadan will commence on either 12th or 13th of September. But ill be announced all over the Radios n TVs once the day is confirmed.

Hope you're ok n thanks 4 your contribution. You r Welcome anytym
[color=#006600]
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mashaun(m): 7:44am On Sep 06, 2007
!@ GETTOLOVE[i][/i],
SALAM ALAEKUN & JAZAKUM LAHU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION,I LIKE THAT, NO SENTIMENT. BASIC.
THIS IS A LESSON FOR SOME PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY MUST SAY BAD ABOUT THE PROPHET (SAW), HIS MESSAGES AND DEEDSB BEFORE THEY CAN PRACTISE THEIR FAITH.
RAMADHAN KAREEM IN ADVANCE
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by theffanyi(m): 9:30am On Sep 06, 2007
theffanyi says happy ramadan to all my muslim folks.specially to men like [yusuf,saheed,toheeb, kafila,sodiq :,hamed. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by lovelyS(m): 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2007
Glory be to ALAH the beneficient the merciful.

Rahmadan is here and i pray that almighty Allah will give us the Strength,Money and Faith to go through the HOLY MONTH. . .AMIN.

Saheed O
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by mimiko(f): 2:16pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ Dis Guy
its not that hard u can try
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by menix(m): 2:28pm On Sep 06, 2007
Pls can anyone here help me with the date of 2005 ramadan cous it was a memorable day in my life,
Thanks in anticipation,
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by easyway(m): 2:41pm On Sep 06, 2007
salam alaekum all brothers and sisters in islam am very happy that we could see someone to start this great work .i wish everybody jazakumullahu khairan jaza and greet ramadan                  mar' ababika yah ramadan .allan wa sallan[email][/email]
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by osisi5: 3:55pm On Sep 06, 2007
Terror is also knocking.

LAGOS, Nigeria - American and other Western installations in Nigeria were at risk of terrorist attack in Africa's most populous nation, the U.S. Embassy said Thursday.

"The U.S. Mission in Nigeria has received information that U.S. and other Western interests in Nigeria are currently at risk for terrorist attacks," the embassy said in a consular statement sent via e-mail to U.S. citizens in Nigeria.

"Potential targets include official and commercial installations in Abuja and Lagos," it said, without elaborating.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Pashoman(m): 7:36pm On Sep 06, 2007
what has this got to do wit Ramadan. America will always be at risk anywhere not in naija alone. but i wonder what risk is there that is not applicable to naija people too. please +osisi try and understand that Islam does not support terror but does not condone injustice done anywhere
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by osisi5: 11:38pm On Sep 06, 2007
Pashoman:

what has this got to do wit Ramadan. America will always be at risk anywhere not in naija alone. but i wonder what risk is there that is not applicable to naija people too. please +osisi try and understand that Islam does not support terror but does not condone injustice done anywhere

That statement above summarizes your "peaceful" mindset.
When it happens,you may also be sent to jannat prematurely.
I hope that answer will be enough comfort to your loved ones if that happens.
I guess alqueda,hamas,the taliban,Islamic brotherhood and the sons of allah in northern Nigeria are all Islamobaptists grin
Their koran is nothing but a Koranibible.
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Pashoman(m): 7:42am On Sep 07, 2007
the point is dat Islam forbides u to kill innocent pple even in times of war. u see when there is a terror threat pple always attribute it to Islam and Muslims. look at the Oklahoma bombing then, the first accusing fingers was the Muslims, but pple will go to extremes to " right " the percieved wrongs done to them. in as much dat i don't and will never support terrror in any shade pple should be able to stand by wat is right at all times
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by manakims: 9:17am On Sep 07, 2007
Allihamdulillah, that ramadan meets us in life. Pls my brothers and sisters in islam any time u are praying during ramadan kindly pray for me so that ALLAH should provide me with good job and a good lady. Thanks MASALAM
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by manakims: 9:18am On Sep 07, 2007
Allihamdulillah, that ramadan meets us in life. Pls my brothers and sisters in islam any time u are praying during ramadan kindly pray for me so that ALLAH should provide me with good job and a good lady. Thanks MASALAM
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by Pashoman(m): 9:33am On Sep 07, 2007
@manakims

Allah will make it easy for u to ave ur hearth desires when its right for Allah. I will remember u in my prayers. May Allah accept our prayers in the coming Ramadan and beyond
Re: Ramadan Is Knocking by hajifaty: 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2007
Happy Ramadan to my fellow muslim brothers and sisters. May the peace and blessing of Allah be with us.
Ma sallam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Does Women’s Hijab Have To Be Black? / Two Pilgrims From Lagos And Kano Die In Saudi Arabia / Muslim Should Avoid Fights And Arguments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.