Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,667 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti (23988 Views)

This Is What Edo No Be Lagos Means / History & Meaning Of Lagos: Not Slave Coast / What President Macron’s Visit To Lagos Means – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by sukkot: 12:20pm On Mar 08, 2023
codemaniacs:

Yoruba ancestry over 400 years ago was Yoruba not Bini.

Before they were called Yorubas they were called Egyptians.

Yoruba has never been called Bini. The only Bini in Lagos was the intermediary the Oba of Bini used to trade and communicate with the Yorubas.
Stop saying rubbish and rewriting history with false and nonsense info.

The Oba of Benin had an intermediary in Lagos who used to communicate with the Yorubas ( who was later called the Oba of a particular section of Lagos).

he was a person who traded with the indigenous Yoruba and more of an intermediary or secretary or diplomat of the Oba of benin and if the Yorubas wanted to do business with the Oba of benin he was the intermediary they will use... Lagos was called a farm ( Oko ) and also part of Ogun then the Portuguese came and called the part of Ogun they traded with Lagos.. and it was governed by warring Yoruba tribes that's why the Oba of Benin intermediary called it war camp ( eko ).. over time the intermediary stopped been a Bini indigene and Yorubas took over the post and changed it to Oba of Lagos..

From Ogun down to the borders of Togo and Ghana was mostly governed by Yoruba military/warrior women..
bro you ain’t gone tell me who I am. My family history is on Wikipedia. Bini royal family of Olisa in ikorodu now called Yoruba today. Google is your friend. Just google Olisa ikorodu. That’s why in ikorodu they have 2 kings Like I said, one to acknowledge the Bini ancestry . Part of my family tree is the abiru guy the senator of Lagos east and the commisioner for transport for Lagos. Ancient Bini guys but name changed to Yoruba like 400 yeRs ago

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 12:20pm On Mar 08, 2023
sukkot:
my family is royalty bruh. We on Wikipedia if you want me to pull it up for you. And there are millions of us like this. Called Bini 400 years ago but name changed to Yoruba today. The name Yoruba is not a very old name. It’s like british people were once part of the Roman Empire. They are Romans. But today they call themselves british. Name change. Name changes with time but the people remain the same

The only royalty in the Yoruba nation are Alaafin of Oyo and the Oni of Ife.. asides them there's no royalty in Lagos or rest of Yoruba nation.

The rest who were influencial were people who controlled Armies/warriors.

Italians are Romans not British that's why there's a place called Rome in Italy.

Name doesn't change with time unless someone changes it and the Eur:opeans are the ones that change it not time.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2023
sukkot:
bro you ain’t gone tell me who I am. My family history is on Wikipedia. Bini royal family of Olisa in ikorodu now called Yoruba today. Google is your friend. Just google Olisa ikorodu. That’s why in ikorodu they have 2 kings Like I said, one to acknowledge the Bini ancestry . Part of my family tree is the abiru guy the senator of Lagos east and the commisioner for transport for Lagos. Ancient Bini guys but name changed to Yoruba like 400 yeRs ago

Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia. I look at what's on ground and what's realistic.

Ogun to Togo was occupied by Yoruba women warriors and farmers. There's was never any royalty there..

If there was royalty there then you won't be alive today because the British would have k:illed off your ancestors the same way they killed Ghanaian king and cut off his head. Every place that had royalty the royals were the first victims of the British.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by zinaunreal(m): 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2023
No man's land
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by sukkot: 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2023
codemaniacs:

Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia. I look at what's on ground and what's realistic.

Ogun to Togo was occupied by Yoruba women warriors and farmers. There's was never any royalty there..

If there's was royalty there you won't be alive today because the British would have k:illed off your ancestors the same way they killed Ghanaian king and cut off his head. Every place that had royalty the royals were the first victims of the British.
well you ain’t gone tell me about my history and my people. Ancient Bini but Yoruba today.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Rybnyk(m): 12:31pm On Mar 08, 2023
omohayek:

Exactly - and this is something anyone could easily verify by looking it up in a Portuguese-English dictionary. Besides, even if it were true, so what? Does the fact that English-speakers use the word "Germany" to refer to Deutschland now mean that Germany belongs to the British? Or does "Sverige" being called "Sweden" mean the Swedes are living on UK soil? A place having different names in different languages says absolutely nothing about who its indigenous inhabitants are or how it was founded.

Seun Kuti is just revealing his own ignorance and laziness by circulating this ridiculous, low-IQ piece of propaganda born of some semi-literate IPOB sympathiser.

Even if he mistranslated the word Lagos he is not wrong in reference to what Lagos was. It was actually a slave coast. You can do your research. You will see it. In as much as the present day Lagos is a South western state in Nigeria,it used to be a slave coast. Europeans used to come to buy slaves and other commodities in the slave coasts,one of which was Lagos. Check and see. So Seun Kuti is not ignorant.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by drimzsmoke(m): 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2023
bentenny:
If a personality from another tribe had made this sensitive post on social media,this thread would have been on fire with urchins wailing up and down!

It's allowed....if a white man should call a black man a nigga,the white man is racist...it is what it is!!!
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Rybnyk(m): 12:35pm On Mar 08, 2023
ThiefnubuBandit:

SHUT UP!!! LAGOS MEANS SLAVE.

Wrong! Lagos is a Portuguese word and it means lake.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by africandollar: 12:40pm On Mar 08, 2023
Before the British took over Lagos it was originally owned by the Yorubas. I thought this was conveniently explained in the Nigeria history documentary on Netflix? Maybe Seun sax no dey gree am reason better content on Netflix?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by professore(m): 12:43pm On Mar 08, 2023
Moh247:
cool

Largos vs Lagos vs Lagoon

Bright of Miafra vs Biafra

Nigga Area vs Nigeria

Zaria vs Zazzau

Facts...

What is Lagos, and who are Lagosians

Lagos is a Cosmopolitan state with over 37 LGA, 100s of indegeneous Villages and Traditional rulers under the Guidance of Eleko Oba ridwan

Ikorodu, Ibeju,Lekki, Oworonshoki, Oshodi, Iba, Alimosho, IsaleEko (Island) Mushin , Okokomaiko, elegushi, EtiOSA etc

All this community are villages occupied by Yorubas, especially Egun, Iwori, Ilaje and other fishing and trading tribes

During the abolition of Slave trade, Two cities allowed British Navy free pasage to bring in intercepted slaves , LAGOS and FREETOWN , slaves got freedom, new identity and ability to start a fresh hence the likes of Herbert Macaulay , Wellington, Vivoh and many slave names in Isale eko

Long before British or Portuguese, Since the advent of Water transport, Eko, Lagos and environs and Ijebu played a critical roll in Yoruba Trans Atlantic trade, Ibadan traders bought farm product from Ekiti, Ondo, Oke Ogun, Ijesa , Osogbo etc , sold it to Ijebu , Ijebu traded with Eko people and Eko people sold directly at the beaches to any sailor

weldone Sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by 0monnak0da: 12:48pm On Mar 08, 2023
I continue to remind people of history
There is a difference between Lagos city or Lagos Kingdom and Lagos state just like in Enugu,Oyo,Ondo,Bauchi,Kano,Kaduna Sokoto etc
The One of Lagos is not the One of Lagos state
This is not a trivial point or a minor issue
People continue to use the terms interchangeably but it is important to make a distinction for history and law

Lagos Colony was very different from.Lagos State which was created in 1967 by adding territories from The. Western Region
Lagos Colony was named after a Portuguese word Lagos pronounced Lahgoes
In Portuguese the word Lago meanss Lake (Lagos= Lakes)and has nothing to do with slaves but Lagos There is a town in Portugal called Lagos too
The centre of Lagos Colony was Eko or Lagos Island
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2023
sukkot:
well you ain’t gone tell me about my history and my people. Ancient Bini but Yoruba today.

Keep deceiving yourself grin grin
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by ghettochild(m): 12:54pm On Mar 08, 2023
F1ne:
GET YOURSELF EMPLOYED WITH THIS!!!

Production of Canvas art prints and frames is very lucrative, budget friendly and easy to produce. Despite this, the frames are sold at high prices. We charge N20,000 for the training at our center and we also teach the skills online at N2,500.After payment, You would access the training (practical videos) which are enough for the skills needed. Guys are making about N150,000 to N250,000 monthly without stress from production and selling of canvas and Frame prints.Empower yourself or someone with this great content before we close the opportunity. Call/WhatsApp
What If I wanna learn while in diaspora?
Whatspp +27737839889
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 12:55pm On Mar 08, 2023
Rybnyk:

Even if he mistranslated the word Lagos he is not wrong in reference to what Lagos was. It was actually a slave coast. You can do your research. You will see it. In as much as the present day Lagos is a South western state in Nigeria,it used to be a slave coast. Europeans used to come to buy slaves and other commodities in the slave coasts,one of which was Lagos. Check and see. So Seun Kuti is not ignorant.

It was never ever a slave coast.

Stop rewriting history with fake news and fake history.

Lagos was a farm and commercial point of the Oyo Empire and was occupied by Yoruba warriors and it extended into benin republic and Togo.

Yorubaland and Yoruba people does not end in Nigeria or Lagos, it ends in Togo and some parts of Ghana.

When the Portuguese came they traded with Yorubas in the places now called Lagos, Cotonou and Porto Novo.

Lagos, cotonou and Porto Novo used to be one whole Yoruba farm and commercial point.

Lagos was called Oko.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by MJACORY(m): 12:57pm On Mar 08, 2023
Sukkyy2010:
I swear your the funniest man I've ever seen on this Forum with the way you're mean with this your submission, without realizing it waste of time because the person you're making reference to can never see all of this you outburst from your mind. Next time get the right channel right before you articulate your submission, this thread is not Seun Instagram or Twitter page where he can receive your message, you're only communicating with your self here, funny man 🤣🤣

May God return his soul to reason 🤡
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Fearyourcreator: 1:00pm On Mar 08, 2023
Moh247:
cool

Nigga Area vs Nigeria

Zaria vs Zazzau

Facts...

Lagos is a Cosmopolitan state with over 37 LGA, 100s of indegeneous Villages and Traditional rulers under the Guidance of Eleko Oba ridwan

Ikorodu, Ibeju,Lekki, Oworonshoki, Oshodi, Iba, Alimosho, IsaleEko (Island) Mushin , Okokomaiko, elegushi, EtiOSA etc

All this community are villages occupied by Yorubas, especially Egun, Iwori, Ilaje and other fishing and trading tribes

During the abolition of Slave trade, Two cities allowed British Navy free pasage to bring in intercepted slaves , LAGOS and FREETOWN , slaves got freedom, new identity and ability to start a fresh hence the likes of Herbert Macaulay , Wellington, Vivoh and many slave names in Isale eko

Long before British or Portuguese, Since the advent of Water transport, Eko, Lagos and environs and Ijebu played a critical roll in Yoruba Trans Atlantic trade, Ibadan traders bought farm product from Ekiti, Ondo, Oke Ogun, Ijesa , Osogbo etc , sold it to Ijebu , Ijebu traded with Eko people and Eko people sold directly at the beaches to any sailor

YOU DEY MIND THEM
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by coachchijioke(m): 1:02pm On Mar 08, 2023
freeandfair247:
And it's like Tinubu's great grandmother was a powerful slave trader

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efunroye_Tinubu

No. She was the grandmother of the popular Tinubu family of Lagos.

Not the one you refer to.

Read history.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Emola12(m): 1:04pm On Mar 08, 2023
Totilopussylick:
Eko ni baje
eko ni baje ko eko ni boji ni radarada oshi
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Rybnyk(m): 1:08pm On Mar 08, 2023
codemaniacs:

It was never ever a slave coast.

Stop rewriting history with fake news and fake history.

Lagos was a farm and commercial point of the Oyo Empire and was occupied by Yoruba warriors and it extended into benin republic and Togo.

Yorubaland and Yoruba people does not end in Nigeria or Lagos, it ends in Togo and some parts of Ghana.

When the Portuguese came they traded with Yorubas in the places now called Lagos, Cotonou and Porto Novo.

Lagos, cotonou and Porto Novo used to be one whole Yoruba farm and commercial point.

Lagos was called Oko.

What did they trade in? You seem t be the one trying to redefine history here.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Slave-Coast

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-african-history/article/trade-and-politics-behind-the-slave-coast-the-lagoon-traffic-and-the-rise-of-lagos-15001800/CCB7C1FFA563A1BC672C22C780706D7E

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Ellasure: 1:09pm On Mar 08, 2023
Parachoko:
He's wrong

Lagos is a Portuguese word and I think it has something to do with lagoon or so

This thread like many others are filled with people that don't read at all just impromptu responses to topics.

Fyi, please check the Portugal map on their coast you will find another city named Lagos which has been in existence long time before the Portuguese people reached Lagos in circa1600 ad.

Why did they named Eko Lagos? It was recorded in our 1960 primary school history class that the coastal areas of the Eko Islands resembles that of the city of Lagos in Portland and so the Portuguese sailors begin to call it Lagos.

So many other cities of the world has been named by the European explorers to suit their exploration activities and purposes of remembering those locations in their voyages.

I think the world is currently enjoying a population filled with people that could not navigate to the truth and true knowledge.

Bible predicted that knowledge will increase truly but of what use when it is not well appreciated by the people for their betterment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by sniperr007(m): 1:10pm On Mar 08, 2023
Moh247:
cool

Nigga Area vs Nigeria

Zaria vs Zazzau

Facts...

The word eko is a bini word.

Here is the ish. Bini kingdom had influence to Lagos and claimed it as a territory but bear in mind there were indigenous people there.

All this story of Yoruba nation and likes are construct of the Europeans. Before the coming of the Europeans, there was no such thing as Yoruba nation and the likes.

https://rss.com/podcasts/themissedhistorypodcast/707617/

Better explains.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Ellasure: 1:11pm On Mar 08, 2023
Parachoko:
He's wrong

This thread like many others are filled with people that don't read at all just impromptu responses to topics.

Fyi, please check the Portugal map on their coast you will find another city named Lagos which has been in existence long time before the Portuguese people reached Lagos in circa1600 ad.

Why did they named Eko Lagos? It was recorded in our 1960 primary school history class that the coastal areas of the Eko Islands resembles that of the city of Lagos in Portugal and so the Portuguese sailors begin to call it Lagos.

So many other cities of the world has been named by the European explorers to suit their exploration activities and purposes of remembering those locations in their voyages.

I think the world is currently enjoying a population filled with people that could not navigate to the truth and true knowledge.

Bible predicted that knowledge will increase truly but of what use when it is not well appreciated by the people for their betterment.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Charlie2020(f): 1:12pm On Mar 08, 2023
christistruth01:
Lagos means Lagoon in Portuguese

There is a Town called Lagos in Portugal
what of Laos?
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Ogaonos: 1:15pm On Mar 08, 2023
Moh247:
cool

Nigga Area vs Nigeria

Zaria vs Zazzau

Facts...

na Fed govt dey cause all this open port in rivers,akwa ibom maybe delta state or leave epz gas city prpject for delta state .all this tribalism entitlement nonsense go stop.
it even affect us as a country imaging u are in edo nd import/expprt a good unow have tp travel far distance tp lagos .d logistics cost.but if u get in ph or delta stste or akwa ibom e no far to claim ur gppds or export ur product .
secondly it will open more city to hustle nd mske it for example a port in akwa ibom will open cross river nd abia .while a port in rivers state will open anambra nd imo what you need is train nd is close.nd more ststes tp hustle.
lagos with train open ogun oyo.nd all ports will be linked by train to kano inland port to serve d north while benue or plateau has inland port to serve north central na so e suppose be.
even asaba waterways ie river niger supppse get ferry /water inland port where go dey carry goods from. north come d region nd gp back

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Charlie2020(f): 1:15pm On Mar 08, 2023
As na ebami eda pikin talk this one, there'll be no uproar on social media.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Moh247: 1:18pm On Mar 08, 2023
sniperr007:

The word eko is a bini word.

Here is the ish. Bini kingdom had influence to Lagos and claimed it as a territory but bear in mind there were indigenous people there.

All this story of Yoruba nation and likes are construct of the Europeans. Before the coming of the Europeans, there was no such thing as Yoruba nation and the likes.

https://rss.com/podcasts/themissedhistorypodcast/707617/

Better explains.

Eko is one of the numerous villages and community that makes up Lagos state... Infact Eko is simply few part of Eti Osa and Lagos Island which are sea community

As for Bini ... Oranmiyan is from Ile Ife and paramount ruler of Igodomigodo bini people , Oranmiyan family ruled bini, Oyo, and other environs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Parrot69: 1:22pm On Mar 08, 2023
Vadese1:
Nigeria is in dear need of urgent restructure. This election has exposed who we are. We are all too tribalistic.
We are nott fit to stay together. If we can't separate, then let go on resources control. . This kind of government system we operating has given some states opportunity to be assuming they are very important to others . Money from the south south and partly the south East has been used to developed almost every state in Nigeria, yet some states which there only sources of contribution to national development is only seaport revenue. Delta State I came from has two major seaport. But because of the useless Leaders we have, they left that seaport to waste away. Delta is one state that has contributed largely to Nigeria development.. if Nigeria is working, I don't need Lagos seaport for anything.

I respect your view point. And this is a clear fact. If someone like Peter Obi has the opportunity to be in that position, I bet this will be one of his utmost priorities.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Parrot69: 1:26pm On Mar 08, 2023
Solsix:

Lagos have 20 LGAs stop confusing us
He doesn't even know. And be here claiming Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by SeunDAssLicker: 1:31pm On Mar 08, 2023
Parachoko:
He's wrong

It is pronounced differently. Escravos is another Portuguese word meaning Slave Island.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Parachoko: 1:32pm On Mar 08, 2023
SeunDAssLicker:

It is pronounced differently. Escravos is another Portuguese word meaning Slave Island.
Lagos means Lake in Portuguese.

The Portuguese named Eko, Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Benbellamor: 1:38pm On Mar 08, 2023
freeandfair247:

O boy. His great grandmother sold a lot of slaves to Brazil.

His family has been powerful for a long time now
the slavery continues till today, check the activities of Agberos...owomida touts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Treasury Slams Sanctions On Nigeria, Others For Terrorism / Anselm Ojezua: Oshiomhole Lied, We Notified Him That We Wanted Indirect Primary / Anthony Adeyinka: Police Fired Tear Gas At Hoodlums Not June 12 Activists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.