Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,044 members, 7,828,672 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti (24018 Views)

This Is What Edo No Be Lagos Means / History & Meaning Of Lagos: Not Slave Coast / What President Macron’s Visit To Lagos Means – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 4:37pm On Mar 08, 2023
SeunDAssLicker:

Mr OLODO

https://www.academia.edu/24318814/Benin_the_Western_Niger_Delta_and_the_Development_of_the_Atlantic_World_1

SeunDAssLicker:

Benin were the ones with warriors. The way you lot twist history to suit Yoruba heritage is actually a disgrace that you lot have no idea what you’re talking about.

Only Benin, UK, and Saudi has the Kingdom title anywhere, and that is for a reason being the vantage point between the Colonials and the Benin Empire.

Yoruba’s we’re still dealing with intertribal conflicts when Benin warriors were being sent to different Souther states including Eko.

It is Bini not Benin and they didn't have warriors stop deceiving yourself.

You're admitting that Yorubas were fighting wars which is foolish of you because no sensible person will send their people to a place that is already fighting wars because their people will be killed off quickly.

Your comment even corroborates and supports my comment due to the Yorubas fighting wars they were already war-hardened and this made it difficult for the Portuguese and British to successfully invade the Oyo Empire and they were confined to parts of Lagos island.

Oyo Empire is an Empire and an Empire is bigger than a Kingdom. olodo.

You're an olodo and illiterate block head..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 4:38pm On Mar 08, 2023
SeunDAssLicker:

🫢🫢😂 didn’t think you were daft until now. Enjoy your Day Mr

Mentally enslaved olodo...

Enjoy your olodoness.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by christistruth01: 4:39pm On Mar 08, 2023
silverkings:

Do you have more lands to lease..... Yes it's lease you didn't sell it..... Ọ ya do you have more Because we want more

Go and Lease Land in your Region

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by SeunDAssLicker: 4:43pm On Mar 08, 2023
codemaniacs:

It is Bini not Benin and they didn't have warriors stop deceiving yourself.

You're admitting that Yorubas were fighting wars which is foolish of you because no sensible person will send their people to a place that is already fighting wars because their people will be killed off quickly.

Your comment even corroborates and supports my comment due to the Yorubas fighting wars they were already war-hardened and this made it difficult for the Portuguese and British to successfully invade the Oyo Empire and they were confined to parts of Lagos island.

Oyo Empire is an Empire and an Empire is bigger than a Kingdom. olodo.

You're an olodo and illiterate block head..

Yoruba did not fight any wars, Intertribal conflicts were normal pre-colonialism.

You have a phone and data, Benin has the most warriors pre colonialism. Read and stop making the rest of you Yorubas look like scoundrels.

I’ve taught you history you never knew today, start with that. Maybe you will finally stop making a fool of yourself.

Benin still the Great Wall ever made by man till today, they didn’t do that because of communal conflicts.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 4:52pm On Mar 08, 2023
KGD10:

Will you keep quiet?

And is that an achievement? Just look at the pedigree of the children of the Yoruba maternal ancestor of Rhodes vivour for example. Far better than the dumb Ipob terrorist chinedu.

If any untrained dumb son insult the Yoruba tribe while living on Yoruba soil just because of his stupid Ungrateful toxic mother or something, such useless dumb child will have to go to the southeast for whatever position he wants there. Yeye dey smell. You can't hate us while living on our soil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 4:55pm On Mar 08, 2023
SeunDAssLicker:

Yoruba did not fight any wars, Intertribal conflicts were normal pre-colonialism.

You have a phone and data, Benin has the most warriors pre colonialism. Read and stop making the rest of you Yorubas look like scoundrels.

I’ve taught you history you never knew today, start with that. Maybe you will finally stop making a fool of yourself.

Benin still the Great Wall ever made by man till today, they didn’t do that because of communal conflicts.

Yoruba wars were intra-tribal not inter-tribal, they were wars not conflicts.

You're the one making Binis look like scoundrels and you're making a fool of yourself by insisting people with a smaller population had more warriors than people with a larger population whose women were warriors..

Binis built a wall because they knew their neighbors have stronger and war-hardened warriors than them.

Just like your username you're an a:sslicker..

only an olodo can use such foolish username.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Lakenaira: 4:56pm On Mar 08, 2023
LOL. When you know nothing about history.
millionaireman:

Yoruba land is nearest to Lagos. So for convenience sake, one may say Lagos is part of Yoruba land.
But it's absolutely absurd to say Yorubas own Lagos, whereas Lagos is a cosmopolitan city started by slave returnees including the Binis that still lay claim to being the first inhabitants of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 5:28pm On Mar 08, 2023
wolesmile:

For you info, he is a direct descendant of Tinubu. He is the son of Kafaru, a former commissioner in Lagos and a younger brother to the late Iyaloja. His mother is the one from iragbiji, not the father.

Regardless of whatever Kafaru's children say, they all know BAT is the first born of their father. Google Wale Tinubu, owner of OANDO and see the resemblance with BAT. No one needs tell you they are of the same blood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by zik4ever: 5:55pm On Mar 08, 2023
It is sad, petty and pathetic that this younger generation will allow themselves to be deceived by the antics of the older guard of politicians who whip up ethnic and religious sentiments to serve ONLY their narrow political ends! I come from a family where my siblings are married to Yoruba, Igbo and Northern mixed tribe. I am also married to a fellow Northern minority from another State. I shudder to think anyone is deluded to think we can divide as a nation or a people. Along which lines? I can understand if greedy politicians do their usual stuff but to see folks who are considered leaders of tomorrow agreeing to be thugs and cyber mouthpieces of the rapacious gang that has mortgaged even your own future is the height of self-destruction.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 6:02pm On Mar 08, 2023
Vadese1:
Nigeria is in dear need of urgent restructure. This election has exposed who we are. We are all too tribalistic.
We are nott fit to stay together. If we can't separate, then let go on resources control. . This kind of government system we operating has given some states opportunity to be assuming they are very important to others . Money from the south south and partly the south East has been used to developed almost every state in Nigeria, yet some states which there only sources of contribution to national development is only seaport revenue. Delta State I came from has two major seaport. But because of the useless Leaders we have, they left that seaport to waste away. Delta is one state that has contributed largely to Nigeria development.. if Nigeria is working, I don't need Lagos seaport for anything.
There are only river ports NOT seaports in Delta State because the ports are located or built along rivers and not the sea or ocean.

Calabar, Port Harcourt, Onne and Onitsha are also river ports. Lagos
State is the ONLY place that has true seaports located near the sea or ocean.

The Lekki Deep seaport that has just been commissioned in 2023, was initiated by the Lagos State government during former Governor Tinubu's tenure in partnership with foreign partners, and FG.

Deep seaports can be also be built in Delta, Bayelsa, and Akwa Ibom States, etc, with initiatives from the governors just like 'Bola Tinubu did in Ibeju Lekki, Lagos. Restructuring is the key just like you correctly stated.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Bukola94: 6:18pm On Mar 08, 2023
Phoen1X:
Say what you know,...he's from one dried and obscure village called iragbaji in today's osun state.
Iraagbiji

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 6:26pm On Mar 08, 2023
sukkot:
i am talking to you as a Yoruba man whose ancestry 400 years ago was called Bini. My family is part of the Olisa royal Bini family in ikorodu but we are called Yoruba today. Understand that I am speaking to you as an ancestral Bini man but today called Yoruba from ikorodu

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 6:28pm On Mar 08, 2023
Draslo:

Don't mind them. This is exactly how fake news is spread. Some parents will go home and tell their kids...their kids will grow up believing Lagos is No man's land. Lagos is Eko and Eko is Lagos
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 6:38pm On Mar 08, 2023
Rybnyk:

It's not completely wrong. He may have mistranslated the word "Lagos" which is a Portuguese word but he is not wrong in referring to lagos as a slave coast. It actually was. The europeans were buying slaves and other comodities. And who were the Europeans trading with? Other "Nigerians".

https://www.britannica.com/place/Slave-Coast
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 6:55pm On Mar 08, 2023
sukkot:
bro you ain’t gone tell me who I am. My family history is on Wikipedia. Bini royal family of Olisa in ikorodu now called Yoruba today. Google is your friend. Just google Olisa ikorodu. That’s why in ikorodu they have 2 kings Like I said, one to acknowledge the Bini ancestry . Part of my family tree is the abiru guy the senator of Lagos east and the commisioner for transport for Lagos. Ancient Bini guys but name changed to Yoruba like 400 yeRs ago

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 7:00pm On Mar 08, 2023
Ellasure:

This thread like many others are filled with people that don't read at all just impromptu responses to topics.

Fyi, please check the Portugal map on their coast you will find another city named Lagos which has been in existence long time before the Portuguese people reached Lagos in circa1600 ad.

Why did they named Eko Lagos? It was recorded in our 1960 primary school history class that the coastal areas of the Eko Islands resembles that of the city of Lagos in Portland and so the Portuguese sailors begin to call it Lagos.

So many other cities of the world has been named by the European explorers to suit their exploration activities and purposes of remembering those locations in their voyages.

I think the world is currently enjoying a population filled with people that could not navigate to the truth and true knowledge.

Bible predicted that knowledge will increase truly but of what use when it is not well appreciated by the people for their betterment.
Well said.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by sukkot: 7:25pm On Mar 08, 2023
XAUBulls:

yes Sir. Salute

1 Like

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 7:32pm On Mar 08, 2023
civilserva:
It seems Seun mother is Igbo
No... Lol.

Seun Kuti is paternally Egba and maternally Ekiti.

Seun Anikulapo-Kuti's mother is from Ekiti State. I know the history of the Kuti family from decades back being a huge fan of Fela and his internationally-recognized brand of music.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by XAUBulls: 7:41pm On Mar 08, 2023
christistruth01:

The Document you are holding and raving over is a 99 year leasehold that can be revoked at any time by the State Governor or by the Landowners if you fail to pay them their Land rent regularly

We beg you to refuse to pay your Land rent so you can know who the owners of Lagos are when they take back their Land
True.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Rybnyk(m): 8:14pm On Mar 08, 2023
codemaniacs:

Do you expect racists to write anything positive about Africans?

Lagos was a farm so they traded food, palm, almond, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, metal, aluminum, gold, bronze, rare gems, rice, cassava, yam, corn, clothes, masks, wood e.t.c

Why will they invade and colonize Africans if Africans didn't have anything to trade in?

You think too little of Africans because you read and get your history from eu:ropeans or their lackeys in Africa.

Lol. You think the Europeans invaded Africa? It seems you need to read more on the real history on Africa and slave trade. Africa sold their own people to as slaves. That roots documentary was a lie. The creator even said so. Go and read on the history of Dahomey. They were fierce slavers. There was a trade. African tribe sold their "enemies"(conquered tribes) as slaves. They also kept slaves themselves. The lie of an invasion has been a very convenient one to believe. That was why people were mad she that silly movie,woman king came out. It was a total inversion of history. The Dahomey people were really bad,especially to their fellow Africans. Dont read history with a closed mind that the Europeans were so bad and Africans were so good and were the afflicted ones. Look at our elites. This quest to dominate didn't start today or 10 years ago.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/opinion/2018/07/14/elder-facts-slavery-not-taught-my-high-school/785432002/

https://slate.com/culture/2022/09/woman-king-movie-true-story-dahomey-amazons-slave-trade.html
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by sniperr007(m): 8:58pm On Mar 08, 2023
codemaniacs:

I don't need a source.. it's common sense.

All the way from what is now Ondo and some parts of Edo state down to the borders of Togo and Ghana was the Oyo Empire and Yoruba territory.

It will be suicidal of the Binis if they tried to claim anywhere in the Oyo empire due to the fact that Yorubas have a higher population than them and 99% of Yorubas were warriors.

Firstly, you don't know history.

I work with facts not common sense because busing common sense, you will understand that Akure has similar cultural link with bini people than Oyo people.

Iso before you reply me, go and read your history books.

Shalom
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 9:28pm On Mar 08, 2023
Rybnyk:

Lol. You think the Europeans invaded Africa? It seems you need to read more on the real history on Africa and slave trade. Africa sold their own people to as slaves. That roots documentary was a lie. The creator even said so. Go and read on the history of Dahomey. They were fierce slavers. There was a trade. African tribe sold their "enemies"(conquered tribes) as slaves. They also kept slaves themselves. The lie of an invasion has been a very convenient one to believe. That was why people were mad she that silly movie,woman king came out. It was a total inversion of history. The Dahomey people were really bad,especially to their fellow Africans. Dont read history with a closed mind that the Europeans were so bad and Africans were so good and were the afflicted ones. Look at our elites. This quest to dominate didn't start today or 10 years ago.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/opinion/2018/07/14/elder-facts-slavery-not-taught-my-high-school/785432002/

https://slate.com/culture/2022/09/woman-king-movie-true-story-dahomey-amazons-slave-trade.html

Africa never ever sold slaves that's a divide and conquer strategy the eu:ropeans use. Dahomey warriors protected their lands from eu:ropean invasion...

I don't read or believe any version of eu:ropean or their African lackeys history about Africa.

Eu:ropeans will never admit that West Africans built ships and sailed and found the American continent..

They always portray ancient Eg:yptians as eu:ropeans. So I can't believe anything they write..

You are free to continue in your mental slavery. I am beyond that level..
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by codemaniacs: 9:30pm On Mar 08, 2023
sniperr007:

Firstly, you don't know history.

I work with facts not common sense because busing common sense, you will understand that Akure has similar cultural link with bini people than Oyo people.

Iso before you reply me, go and read your history books.

Shalom

You don't have common sense so how can you work with something you don't have..

You're delusional..
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Mrmb: 11:02pm On Mar 08, 2023
AbdulMagaji:
After they will say Tinubu built Lagos

Slave coast meaning that Lagos is originally owned by the British grin

But how would Nigerians know their history when it's government scrapped it from their school curriculum!

Look at this dull head, Lagos is an European land abi?
You should rather have said Nigeria is owned by the British since they gave it the name..... Na dull people like you dey confuse those wey sabi.... Lagos is owned by the British is the most trashy statement I have come across this 2023......
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by Rybnyk(m): 1:40am On Mar 09, 2023
codemaniacs:

Africa never ever sold slaves that's a divide and conquer strategy the eu:ropeans use. Dahomey warriors protected their lands from eu:ropean invasion...

I don't read or believe any version of eu:ropean or their African lackeys history about Africa.

Eu:ropeans will never admit that West Africans built ships and sailed and found the American continent..

They always portray ancient Eg:yptians as eu:ropeans. So I can't believe anything they write..

You are free to continue in your mental slavery. I am beyond that level..

😂😂😂. Africans built ships and found America? Lol. So it's no longer the native Americans that were the first noticeable settlers? And the Dahomey? Defenders? Lol Na you dey under mental slavery. Serious one.
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by putin2: 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2023
sukkot:
binis and yorubas are the same people. About 60 percent of yorubas are binis. It’s the same people. For example the commisioner for transport for Lagos state and the senator representing Lagos east are yorubas today from ikorodu but 400 years ago they were called binis . This is why in ikorodu they have 2 chieftaincy titles , one to recognise their Bini ancestry called The OLISA king title of ikorodu. What’s my point ? YOU ARE Making no point
Thank you for the explanation , no insult one love.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by PrinceOfLagos: 2:29pm On Mar 09, 2023
helinues:
Interesting
let me save this page
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by PrinceOfLagos: 2:30pm On Mar 09, 2023
freeandfair247:

O boy. His great grandmother sold a lot of slaves to Brazil.

His family has been powerful for a long time now
his family abi adopted family

Tinubu was adopted
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by putin2: 10:19am On Mar 11, 2023
sukkot:
binis and yorubas are the same people. About 60 percent of yorubas are binis. It’s the same people. For example the commisioner for transport for Lagos state and the senator representing Lagos east are yorubas today from ikorodu but 400 years ago they were called binis . This is why in ikorodu they have 2 chieftaincy titles , one to recognise their Bini ancestry called The OLISA king title of ikorodu. What’s my point ? YOU ARE Making no point

Lagos belongs to Benin empire, not Yorubaland – Oba Akiolu

The dust has finally settled after years of controversies and heated arguments who the real owners of present day Lagos are, the whole of Western Nigeria and the East of the Niger down to the Nigerian south Atlantic Coast.

The Oba of Lagos, His Royal Highness, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, has finally told the world via a historical narrative and background the real owners of Nigeria’s economic capital city of Lagos and parts of neigbouring Benin Republic.

Lagos, he said, belongs to the Great Benin Kingdom and has never been part of Yoruba land.

This was contained in a statement issued and signed by the Lagos Monarch which was released from his palace.

The statement reads:

“Coming from the palace, with what I was told by my late paternal grandmother who is a descendant of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi and also reading from factual Historical books, let me share this Knowledge with you all on Eko/Lagos.

“Modern day Lagos was founded by Prince Ado, the son of the Oba of Benin,

Prince Ado was the first Oba of Lagos, the son of the Bini King, Prince Ado, named the town Eko until the Portuguese explorer Ruy de Sequeira changed the Maritime town to Lagos, which at that time from 1942 was Portuguese expedition center down the African Coast.

“It was a major centre of the slave trade until 1851. Lagos was annexed by Britain via the Lagos treaty of cession in 1861, ending the consular period and starting the British Colonial Period.

The remainder of modern-day Nigeria was seized in 1886 when the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria were established in 1914 Lagos was declared its capital due to the struggle of the Bini King.

“Lagos experienced growth prior to the British Colonial rule and even more rapid growth during the Colonial rule throughout the 1960s, 70s, continued through the 80s and 90s till date.

Thanks to the Awori’s, Bini’s, Yoruba’s, migrants across the nation and the world at large, as no particular group of people can take the glory alone.

“Lagos is made up of Lagoons and creeks.

The Lagos lagoon, Lagos Harbour, five cone creeks, Ebute-Metta creeks, Porto-Novo creeks, New canal, Badagry creeks, Kuramo waters and Lighthouse creeks.

“The Awori’s and Bini’s are known to be the first settlers of the Eko land.

The Awori’s are speakers of a distinct dialect close to that of the Yoruba language with a rich Bini mixture.

Traditionally, Awori”s were found in Ile-Ife, they were known to be the Bini’s who followed their self-exiled Prince, the first son of the Ogiso (now called Oba) of the Benin Kingdom, whose step-mother was after his head.

“The exiled Benin Prince Izoduwa known to the Yorubas as Ooduwa (Oduduwa) was made the ruler of the Ife people due to his powers and followers from the Great Benin-Kingdom.

“Izoduwa (Ooduwa) was made the first King of Ile-Ife in 1230 AD. His followers from his father’s Kingdom in Benin are the today’s Awori people who settled in Eko now called Lagos.

“In 1300, the King of Benin-Empire heard from one of his traders who was a settler in Eko on how the Bini’s were treated by the Awori’s who lived in their area.

Upon hearing this, the King of Benin commanded the assembling of a war expedition, led by his son, Prince Ado, which headed the settlement of the Awori’s and demanded an explanation.

“On arriving Eko, Prince Ado and his Army were more than received. The Aworis asked the Bini Prince to stay and become their leader.

Ado agreed on the condition that they surrender their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which the people agreed. Hearing this, the King of Benin gave his permission for Prince Ado and the expedition to remain in Eko.

“The Oba of Benin sent some of his chiefs including the Eletu, Odibo, Obanikoro and others to assist his son, Oba Ado in the running of Eko.

“From the crowning of Prince Ado as the first Oba of Lagos (then called Eko), Lagos served as a major center for slave trade from which the Aworis, the Oba of Benin and his son the Oba of Lagos and all the children/descendants who took over as his successors for over four centuries supported the trade.

“The Oba of Benin was the head of the Benin Empire which is the present-day Western, Southern and Eastern modern day Nigeria.

The King never obliged anyone to speak the Bini language as he believed everyone was entitled to their own choice of language.

“The name Eko was given to it by the first king of Lagos, Oba Ado, the young and vibrant Prince from Benin.

Eko was the land now known as Lagos Island, where the king palace was built.

“The palace is called Idugaran meaning “palace built on pepper farm”

Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin together with the early Bini’s settlers in Eko and the Awori people settled in the southern part of Eko called “Isale Eko”. “Isale literally means bottom”. Must have been used to indicate downtown (as in downtown Lagos)

“Until the coming in of the Benin’s 1300AD, Lagos geographical boundary was Lagos mainland, Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing post. No one was living there.

“About 1450 AD some Yorubas who hailed from Isheri in Ogun-state and Ekiti were allowed by the King to settle in Eko during a war, they came in a very large numbers thereby surpassing the numbers of the Awori’s and Bini’s. (Hence Yorubas claim to own Eko due to their numbers).

“Oba Ado fell in love with a beautiful woman whose father was Awori and mother a daughter to one of the chiefs; they had two sons and also a daughter Erelu Kuti, who begot Ologun Kutere. Copied etodike
Re: Lagos Means Slave Coast - Seun Kuti by sukkot: 10:28am On Mar 11, 2023
putin2:

Lagos belongs to Benin empire, not Yorubaland – Oba Akiolu

The dust has finally settled after years of controversies and heated arguments who the real owners of present day Lagos are, the whole of Western Nigeria and the East of the Niger down to the Nigerian south Atlantic Coast.

The Oba of Lagos, His Royal Highness, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, has finally told the world via a historical narrative and background the real owners of Nigeria’s economic capital city of Lagos and parts of neigbouring Benin Republic.

Lagos, he said, belongs to the Great Benin Kingdom and has never been part of Yoruba land.

This was contained in a statement issued and signed by the Lagos Monarch which was released from his palace.

The statement reads:

“Coming from the palace, with what I was told by my late paternal grandmother who is a descendant of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi and also reading from factual Historical books, let me share this Knowledge with you all on Eko/Lagos.

“Modern day Lagos was founded by Prince Ado, the son of the Oba of Benin,

Prince Ado was the first Oba of Lagos, the son of the Bini King, Prince Ado, named the town Eko until the Portuguese explorer Ruy de Sequeira changed the Maritime town to Lagos, which at that time from 1942 was Portuguese expedition center down the African Coast.

“It was a major centre of the slave trade until 1851. Lagos was annexed by Britain via the Lagos treaty of cession in 1861, ending the consular period and starting the British Colonial Period.

The remainder of modern-day Nigeria was seized in 1886 when the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria were established in 1914 Lagos was declared its capital due to the struggle of the Bini King.

“Lagos experienced growth prior to the British Colonial rule and even more rapid growth during the Colonial rule throughout the 1960s, 70s, continued through the 80s and 90s till date.

Thanks to the Awori’s, Bini’s, Yoruba’s, migrants across the nation and the world at large, as no particular group of people can take the glory alone.

“Lagos is made up of Lagoons and creeks.

The Lagos lagoon, Lagos Harbour, five cone creeks, Ebute-Metta creeks, Porto-Novo creeks, New canal, Badagry creeks, Kuramo waters and Lighthouse creeks.

“The Awori’s and Bini’s are known to be the first settlers of the Eko land.

The Awori’s are speakers of a distinct dialect close to that of the Yoruba language with a rich Bini mixture.

Traditionally, Awori”s were found in Ile-Ife, they were known to be the Bini’s who followed their self-exiled Prince, the first son of the Ogiso (now called Oba) of the Benin Kingdom, whose step-mother was after his head.

“The exiled Benin Prince Izoduwa known to the Yorubas as Ooduwa (Oduduwa) was made the ruler of the Ife people due to his powers and followers from the Great Benin-Kingdom.

“Izoduwa (Ooduwa) was made the first King of Ile-Ife in 1230 AD. His followers from his father’s Kingdom in Benin are the today’s Awori people who settled in Eko now called Lagos.

“In 1300, the King of Benin-Empire heard from one of his traders who was a settler in Eko on how the Bini’s were treated by the Awori’s who lived in their area.

Upon hearing this, the King of Benin commanded the assembling of a war expedition, led by his son, Prince Ado, which headed the settlement of the Awori’s and demanded an explanation.

“On arriving Eko, Prince Ado and his Army were more than received. The Aworis asked the Bini Prince to stay and become their leader.

Ado agreed on the condition that they surrender their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which the people agreed. Hearing this, the King of Benin gave his permission for Prince Ado and the expedition to remain in Eko.

“The Oba of Benin sent some of his chiefs including the Eletu, Odibo, Obanikoro and others to assist his son, Oba Ado in the running of Eko.

“From the crowning of Prince Ado as the first Oba of Lagos (then called Eko), Lagos served as a major center for slave trade from which the Aworis, the Oba of Benin and his son the Oba of Lagos and all the children/descendants who took over as his successors for over four centuries supported the trade.

“The Oba of Benin was the head of the Benin Empire which is the present-day Western, Southern and Eastern modern day Nigeria.

The King never obliged anyone to speak the Bini language as he believed everyone was entitled to their own choice of language.

“The name Eko was given to it by the first king of Lagos, Oba Ado, the young and vibrant Prince from Benin.

Eko was the land now known as Lagos Island, where the king palace was built.

“The palace is called Idugaran meaning “palace built on pepper farm”

Oba Ado and the warriors from Benin together with the early Bini’s settlers in Eko and the Awori people settled in the southern part of Eko called “Isale Eko”. “Isale literally means bottom”. Must have been used to indicate downtown (as in downtown Lagos)

“Until the coming in of the Benin’s 1300AD, Lagos geographical boundary was Lagos mainland, Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing post. No one was living there.

“About 1450 AD some Yorubas who hailed from Isheri in Ogun-state and Ekiti were allowed by the King to settle in Eko during a war, they came in a very large numbers thereby surpassing the numbers of the Awori’s and Bini’s. (Hence Yorubas claim to own Eko due to their numbers).

“Oba Ado fell in love with a beautiful woman whose father was Awori and mother a daughter to one of the chiefs; they had two sons and also a daughter Erelu Kuti, who begot Ologun Kutere. Copied etodike
nigga I don’t got the patience to read all that bullshit mane

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jega Sacks Two Electoral Officers In Edo For Disappearance Of Result Sheets / Buhari’s Integrity Increases Power Supply, Says APC: Punch / I Have More To Say, Fayose Shouldn’t Force Me To Spill All –aluko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.