Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,180 members, 7,815,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader (14298 Views)

Graphic Photos Of Slain Boko Haram Militants In A Recent Military Attack / PHOTOS: Obasanjo Visits Buhari / PHOTOS: Slain Boko Haram Fighters-Viewers Discretion (False information) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by houvest: 4:15pm On Sep 16, 2011
I think this is a good move by the OBJ that be. This will neutralise the real BM so that the political BM will be exposed.
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by Demdem(m): 4:21pm On Sep 16, 2011
Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has said that he has no apology to tender for his visit to the family of the late Yusuf Mohammed, leader of the Boko Haram sect in Maiduguri, Borno State.

He said the visit was through his personal initiative.

Speaking to P.M.NEWS through one of his aides on telephone this morning, Obasanjo said his visit should not generate any controversy, bitterness or rancour.

The aide told P.M.NEWS: “As of fact, he (Obasanjo) was in Borno State yesterday. I believe that he has the right to travel to any part of the country as he wishes. Why should his visit be a source of debate on the pages of newspapers?

“Series of reports were published in the dailies today on the visit. Baba (Obasanjo) owes nobody any explanation because nobody sent him there. No right thinking person or leader will sit down and watch things get worse and keep silent.

“Drastic issues beget drastic steps. People should stop insinuating unnecessarily. Obasanjo is one out a thousand leaders that are worried over the spate of bombings and killings in Nigeria.

“If he has decided to champion the dialogue course and availed the government of his experience in peace keeping operations, to save the nation of further embarrassment of bomb explosions, I think two things are expected of us in this country.

“First, we should be thankful to God for giving us an experienced man like Obasanjo and second, we should continue to pray to God to give him long life so that we would continue to drink from his cup of wisdom and experience.”

Obasanjo, yesterday, visited the family home of the slain leader of Boko Haram sect, Mohammed Yusuf in Maiduguri, Borno State, Northeast Nigeria.

He held a close-door meeting that lasted about two hours with his family members.

A source at the meeting said that Obasanjo had gone to appeal to the members of the family to appeal to the Boko Haram members to sheathe their swords and end the spate of bombings in the country.

Obasanjo also promised to inform President Goodluck Jonathan of the outcome of his meeting with the family.

The former president also condemned the 26 August bombing of the UN House in Abuja. He was in Sierra Leone when the incident happened.

Obasanjo, in his reaction, described the bombing as barbaric, ungodly and inhuman.

Reactions have been trailing the former president’s visit yesterday to the family of the slain leader of the Boko Haram sect.

Many Nigerians are of the opinion that there should be no negotiation with the bombers. Rather, they should be brought to justice.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/obasanjo-says-no-apology-over-visit-slain-boko-haram-leaders%E2%80%99-family-%E2%80%94-pm-news-lagos
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by silibaba: 4:23pm On Sep 16, 2011
BABA (OBJ)is a brainy man. i think he know what he is up to
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 16, 2011
byrron:

@valacious: so if this move by obj succeeds d culprit wont be shamed and exposed abi? They wont be tried for treason and murder abi? No justice for d deceased and family members abi? We move ahead and pretend as if nothing happend abi? U r damn so wrong. No responsible gvmnt negotiates with terrorist groups and justice must prevail and at all cost
@byrron. Get it, Obj is too proud to negotiate, he simply went to spell d terms to them, war/peace. D case with nigeria is different as we all know boko haram is a political tool used by northern goons to frustrate Gej govt. As for justice, why dont we let d bombing of innocent lives stop and peace reign before we start talking of justice or due punishment for offenders. But u want to hear d reality? Its sad, but this is nigeria and justice for d lost souls will never materialise, but at least we can have peace. Remember saro wiwa, abuja apo 7, innocent corpers.
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by adamabdul: 5:45pm On Sep 16, 2011
Boko Haram killed because they were killed and chased out of BORNO STATE COURTESY ALI MODU SHERIFF
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by foufou: 5:49pm On Sep 16, 2011
OBJ has many more people to beg o! Families of those innocently massacred in Odi, Zaki Biam and CAN Executives whom he referred to as "my foot"! Am willing to give him their contact addresses if he ever needs one! OBJ Baba, wahala dey o!
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by mowapa(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2011
Not necessarily, no money can quell boko-haram's demands. They haven't kidnapped anybody for ransom. Their demands are based on ethnicity and religion, it has nothing to do with corruption, besides the so called people sponsoring them want Government and not money!!!

The only way Nigeria Govt conducts diplomacy is to throw money at the most important people in the aggrieved party, go ask Okah how much ge got?(300m?)
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by ideylaff: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
@ beaf says , therefore Obj's move also has FBI clearance

LOL, FBI clearance to talk to Nigerian citizens in Nigeria, man mi @ beaf don fall 4 ma hand oooooo

talking like a 5 year old kid, FBI Clearance ko, CIA movement ni,

FBI that does not know the difference between a Yoruba man and and an Hausa man will identify Boko haram members, LOL

Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by dayokanu(m): 6:57pm On Sep 16, 2011
Is OBJ the president?

Where is the odechukwu Retardeen we voted as President?
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by dare2think: 7:06pm On Sep 16, 2011
The Terrorists finally got what they wanted- Attention & Recognition-  Two powerful political tools.

Now to just sit down and wait for the next group to use anarchy to get those tools.

Regressive Leaders.
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by adamaw2tuf: 9:36pm On Sep 16, 2011
@adesode2k You said and i quote,no wonder other tribes mistakenly say the yorubas are cowards,yes they are the biggest cowards and the most dangerous hypocricts i have ever seen in nigeria, the only problem is that for you to accept it you would rather try and paint your stinking double standard way of lives via the media that you control and use them hide your evil schemes against anyone you see as a competitor so that you will be the only one on top,regardless of the pains and sufferings of your neighbours.[list]
[li]NAME [/li]
[li][/li]
[/list] ONE BRAVE THING A YORUBA HAS EVER DONE IN THE INTERESET OF THE WHOLE NATION,IF NOT FOR YORUBAS AND THEIR SEEING EVIL AND SUPPORTING EVIL AS LONG AS IT'S IN THEIR OWN INTEREST AND TO PAINS AND SUFFERING OF OTHERS NIGERIA WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE COMPLETE MESS AND DISGRACEFUL SITUATION SHE IS TODAY.
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by russellino: 10:32pm On Sep 16, 2011
Obasanjo is a man that I hated with all my heart btw 1999 till date. But as a recent student of that old fox and his tortoise sense I know that this is a masterstroke. Boko haram will lose steam by 80%. They're cutting off their funding and at the same time appeasing the foot soldiers
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by okadaman2: 10:36pm On Sep 16, 2011
Nigeria is funny, everything can be solved by begging and pleading.

We better start begging for electricity and good roads grin
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by Ericology(m): 10:43pm On Sep 16, 2011
I have  nothing against OBJ as an ex head of state but i still dont understand the superhuman attributes many of us are showering on him,  Being  the 2nd in command when Murtala died he was allowed by the north to hold fort for a while and return power back to them which he obediently did even making sure Awo was kept out,  With that, he was trusted by the North so that when our Oga[north] decided to placate the south[yorubas for abiolas death in 1999, they chose again the same trusted and obedient friend  to hold forth again for 8 yrs and return it back to the owners which he once again did by throwing out every guber aspirant for Yar Adua,    He didnt do nada to quell the Sharia crisis in the 12 northern states nor the miss world riots cuz he was powerless, Odi and Zaki biam where he demonstrated his powers were not in the core north dats why he was able to act, Like i said, stop making him a superhuman which he wasnt/is nt,
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by Builder: 10:49pm On Sep 16, 2011
Baba iyabo is doing the right think, hopefully OBJ will prove his doubters wrong and to those who say he needs clearance from FBI, lol, i shake my head and cry.

there is absolutely nothing wrong is negotiating with terrorists, the UK did it in northern ireland, and they are doing it with the talibans, in spite of what them

useless people in america are saying about not talking to terrorist, where has it led then after 10 years.
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 17, 2011
Beaf:

Your analysis is on the naive side. It is not possible for Obj to visit members of boko haram without the express go ahead from GEJ. Ok? Anybody that does that will be arrested. Simple as ABC.
Secondly, the FBI is in total [/b]control of the boko haram investigations, therefore Obj's move also has FBI clearance.

It seems very strange that neither IBB, nor another core-Northerner was chosen to talk to boko haram. Today is a damn strange day!

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/09/16/boko-haram-no-apology-over-visit-to-leaders%E2%80%99-family-%E2%80%94obasanjo/

Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has said that he has no apology to tender for his visit to the family of the late Yusuf Mohammed, leader of the Boko Haram sect in Maiduguri, Borno State.

[b]He said the visit was through his personal initiative.

Speaking to P.M.NEWS through one of his aides on telephone this morning, Obasanjo said his visit should not generate any controversy, bitterness or rancour.

The aide told P.M.NEWS: “As of fact, he (Obasanjo) was in Borno State yesterday. I believe that he has the right to travel to any part of the country as he wishes. Why should his visit be a source of debate on the pages of newspapers?

“Series of reports were published in the dailies today on the visit. Baba (Obasanjo) owes nobody any explanation because nobody sent him there. No right thinking person or leader will sit down and watch things get worse and keep silent.

“Drastic issues beget drastic steps. People should stop insinuating unnecessarily. Obasanjo is one out a thousand leaders that are worried over the spate of bombings and killings in Nigeria.

“If he has decided to champion the dialogue course and availed the government of his experience in peace keeping operations, to save the nation of further embarrassment of bomb explosions, I think two things are expected of us in this country.

“First, we should be thankful to God for giving us an experienced man like Obasanjo and second, we should continue to pray to God to give him long life so that we would continue to drink from his cup of wisdom and experience.”

Obasanjo, yesterday, visited the family home of the slain leader of Boko Haram sect, Mohammed Yusuf in Maiduguri, Borno State, Northeast Nigeria.

He held a close-door meeting that lasted about two hours with his family members.

A source at the meeting said that Obasanjo had gone to appeal to the members of the family to appeal to the Boko Haram members to sheathe their swords and end the spate of bombings in the country.

Obasanjo also promised to inform President Goodluck Jonathan of the outcome of his meeting with the family.

The former president also condemned the 26 August bombing of the UN House in Abuja. He was in Sierra Leone when the incident happened.

Obasanjo, in his reaction, described the bombing as barbaric, ungodly and inhuman.

Reactions have been trailing the former president’s visit yesterday to the family of the slain leader of the Boko Haram sect.

Many Nigerians are of the opinion that there should be no negotiation with the bombers. Rather, they should be brought to justice.

—Biodun Onafuye/Abeokuta

so much for the typical mindless bs we have come to expect from the dunces representing the hatted liar in aso rock . such delusions of grandeur
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by geogeo01: 10:57am On Sep 17, 2011
Pls let's read that post again,the heading says "FG opens talk with BH", OBJ is not d FG so I think he is working with the directives of the FG, FBI or no FBI
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by russellino: 11:26am On Sep 17, 2011
I never liked obj but he has just destroyed the insurgency with this move. Mark my words
Re: Obasanjo Visits The Family Of Slain Boko Haram Leader by Pukkah: 7:18am On Nov 11, 2011
russellino:

I never liked obj but he has just destroyed the insurgency with this move. Mark my words

The insurgency is still there.

silibaba:

BABA (OBJ)is a brainy man. i think he know what he is up to

Still waiting for what he is/was up to.

houvest:

I think this is a good move by the OBJ that be. This will neutralise the real BM so that the political BM will be exposed.

Has any Boko Haram been exposed?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Child Kidnap, Rape, imprisonment, Forced Islamisation/marriage by Sharia Court / Mimiko's Cabinet Members Defect To APC / Muiz Banire Replies Sahara Reporters On N500,000 Gift Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.