Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,793 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) (29920 Views)

A Nairalander's Trip To City Of Alameda In Northern California USA (pictures) / A Nairalander's Trip To London, Abu Dhabi & Lagos / Marrakesh Menara Airport, Morocco: Africa's Finest And Most Beautiful Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by emmaodet: 2:42pm On Mar 16, 2023
Regex:

I forget to add,

Why spend such amount on a short trip when you can use it to disappear in that country. They don't ask themselves if I stay their illegally, what next.

grin grin grin @ the bolded.
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by Subsaharan: 2:46pm On Mar 16, 2023
LordAdam16:

My understanding of MENA geopolitics is quite light. I don't find it globally impactful so I only perform perfunctory skimming as opposed to the deep dives I'll conduct for North American, Eurasian, and East/SE Asian geopolitics.

I should preface by saying Abuja's foreign policy is dysfunctional and long-term calculations seem to be disappointingly tame and a lot of times unresolved.

The NMGP is a fall back option pushed as a more likely alternative to the Trans Saharan pipeline that should have gone through Niger to Algeria. That was first proposed in the 70s. It's pretty much dead now because of the insurgency.

The NMGP will be more expensive both to construct and to operate (all 11 countries will take a cut in transit fees) and we'll lose flexibility on the SADR question.

On SADR, geopolitical headwinds favor Morocco and I think all Abuja can reasonably hope for is to extract pricey concessions from Rabat. This is deeply unfair to the Sahrawis, but the Western Sahara is economically destitute. I'm hesitant to make a definitive statement on how quickly we make the pivot (if ever) because as I said our geopolitics is dysfunctional.

IMHO, any such grouping that is billed to be a heavyweight in piloting African affairs is a non-starter without Egypt. Of course, we could expand it later to a G6 by adding Egypt and Kenya, but then you'd have to deal with the Algeria conundrum because they shouldn't have a seat at the table.

That's another symptom of our dysfunctional foreign policy because we did not need to give our stamp of approval. Even though we're more aligned with Algeria on most issues than its NA neighbors, it is not a peer. We should have been more circumspect by strengthening bilateral ties instead.

Yes.

But it requires Nigeria to be a far more formidable power with long-term strategic thinking and a preponderance of MENA, American and European responsibilities than we are willing or able to shoulder in the next two decades.

To put this in persepctive, the Gibraltar crossing that has been on ice since 1979 seems to have been dusted up last month. Sure, a freeze can happen again; but you can imagine the economic benefits of an economic common area with a land bridge to Iberia. Morocco will benefit most, but if we ever have plans of punching above our weight globally, that is as low a hanging fruit as we'll get.

Mauritania will be dragged back in whether they like it or not if we resolve the Morocco situation.

That's the whole point of soft power. Mauritania is an economic backwater that can be coerced with a few carrots.

I deliberately avoid the Central African quandary because it is revolting.

It does appear to me though that ECOWAS is exhausted with the ECCAS and with the recent uptick in instability within the ECOWAS, there's even lower bandwidth for the hellscape that is Central Africa.

Which sucks because Nigeria NEEDS a direct link to the Eastern regional powers. Currently, that only seems feasible through direct, bloody intervention. No one in Abuja has the appetite for that.

The pillar of excellent geopolitics is a dependable economic and sociocultural backbone on the home front. Nigeria is yet to crack it. So we're pretty much limited to "statement geopolitics" where we keep issuing statements and attending summits without any tangible impact. Which makes it personally unrewarding to keep up with the intrigues.

-Lord

I really appreciate your insights, thank you very much!🀠
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by Uniquetani1(f): 7:30pm On Mar 16, 2023
Alusiizizi:

Look, if you had like a gazillion Naira you could easily purchase your own private continental airliner, then you wouldn't have to worry about a plane ticket but as the ancients used to say, "cut your coat according to your cloth". What we are discussing here is how to get you to Canada on a budget.

Tor, I hear you sir
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by seguno2: 2:18am On Mar 17, 2023
emmaodet:

At bolded is not as simple as you think.
If the ground is open and fair, some people will naturally dominate the others due to many factors and that is why LAWS are made to protect the weak from the strong over-running them.
Laws like gender equality at place of work to protect the weak (women) from getting jobs else stronger males will over-run them.
Cabotage laws were made in US, Canada and Nigeria as a case study to protect the local workers from being over-run my better foreign experts.
Local content Law was made to protect the interest and flourish local ship owners against fierce and better foreign shipowners and investors.
There are many ways laws are twerked to protect local economy and manufacturers.
A country that throws it's border open wide does not have the interest of it's people at heart.

China is just 1 case of a country that was lucky to grow above this shackles, many countries didn't survive it.
Poland, Croatia and many EU countries didn't survive it. Their jobs, companies etc were exported to more fierce fighters like UK, Germany and France while most of their youths were forced to leave their homelands by train to go look for jobs in these stronger countries.

Is China just lucky, or they worked hard to grow above their shackles, and continue to work hard to remain above

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by emmaodet: 7:14am On Mar 17, 2023
Iqtest:

You are absolutely right. πŸ‘, 50-70% of tourists in my hotel were mostly Americans and Europeans.
Morocco is currently one of the biggest tourist destinations in world,the government are really making huge revenues from tourism.
Wish Nigeria government could invest more in tourism like other Africa nations

Tourism can't survive where there is high insecurity.
Bokoharam, herdsmen, kidnapping, militancy and co have all been too shown on international tvs to put enough fear on tourists.
They will rather go somewhere

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by emmaodet: 7:34am On Mar 17, 2023
konvicted77:
Am interested too.
though the destination in my mind is Rwanda, Uganda or Tanzania.

I need details how to go about.
may consider Morocco, my fears is that it's a Muslim nation and am traveling with my family, so am not ready for too many rules and regulations.

When do you plan going?
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by konvicted77: 5:51pm On Mar 17, 2023
June.
that's when i will be free from work.
emmaodet:

When do you plan going?
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by rinzylee(m): 9:54pm On Mar 19, 2023
LordAdam16:

That entire Morocco-ECOWAS fiasco was a geopolitical red herring.

Morocco is always on the lookout for opportunities to court international political capital for its claims in Western Sahara.

Nigeria rebuffed that advance because it'll get us entangled in sh*tty Middle Eastern politics. We have enough problems with Islamists to choose a side. Algeria, Iran, Qatar, and certain pacts in Egypt and the UAE would have made giving Morocco's claims legitimacy a very painful decision for us.

Like Oman, they're the outcasts of the Ummah. Historically, they've pursued unilateral moves because of deep suspicion of other forces in the Levant.

The development in Morocco is mostly to pacify citizens because the Monarchy has very powerful geopolitical foes. It is on that basis that they can't offer Nigeria the same visa privileges they extend to some West African states, lest our Islamists be used by Middle Eastern funders to destabilize Western Sahara and the ruling house's hold on power.

I like the Amazighs tho'. Proud, fascinating, fiercely independent, and politically deft people.

-Lord

Man you write with so much knowledge and depth!!! Come on.... pheeww...interesting.

Biko who are you? 😲 πŸ€”

Nice analysis.

Cheers!!!

P.S what books do you read?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by rinzylee(m): 9:55pm On Mar 19, 2023
pansophist:

You're right. I also do not see any benefits of Morocco in the ECOWAS. I strongly believed that their aim for joining ECOWAS was temporary, using the community as a tampon, and disposed when it's geopolitical aim with the western Sahara is accomplished.

I also don't see how Morocco can integrate into the community politically. Firstly, they share no border with any ECOWAS state. All ECOWAS countries can be reach by road from another without entering a non ECOWAS state. That will be impossible with Morocco, since you must cross via Mauritania or Algeria, which are non ECOWAS countries

They are geographically located in North Africa, and culturally very distinct. Their situation will be like the case of Mauritania, who left ECOWAS in 2000.

Also Morocco has far more industries and advance manufacturing that other ECOWAS countries, so Nigeria (as well as Ghana) can say bye to their regional influence. They will grab our market, its as simple as that.

Morocco for example makes clothes for inditex, a global clothing giant that owns brands such as Zara, Bershka, and Morocco is far ahead in solar energy. Morocco in ECOWAS will be like letting Germany in ECOWAS. They will seize the market.

I wonder what the administration of Morocco wad thinking. Do they honestly believed they will be accepted ? It's like Japan applying to join the EU.

Another highly cerebral comment.

You guys challenge me to read more.

Please what sort of books do you read??
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by pansophist(m): 10:27pm On Mar 19, 2023
rinzylee:

Another highly cerebral comment.

You guys challenge me to read more.

Please what sort of books do you read??

I read mostly philosophical books.
So book that stood the test of times. Read them. They are timeless and objective, and make you smart in an unconventional way.

The older the book, the better. So I do read books written thousands of years ago. The oldest book most people are religious books such as the Bible and Quran, but it could be more.

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by rinzylee(m): 10:49pm On Mar 19, 2023
pansophist:

I read mostly philosophical books.
So book that stood the test of times. Read them. They are timeless and objective, and make you smart in an unconventional way.

The older the book, the better. So I do read books written thousands of years ago. The oldest book most people are religious books such as the Bible and Quran, but it could be more.

Please could you refer me to any of such titles?
I can grab 1 or 3 and add to my body of knowledge for the year.

😁

Thank you sir
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by pansophist(m): 11:17pm On Mar 19, 2023
rinzylee:

Please could you refer me to any of such titles?
I can grab 1 or 3 and add to my body of knowledge for the year.

😁

Thank you sir

Let me drop this two first. Please read it and come back for more.

1. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

This book is for stoics, or anyone that wants to strengthen their inner core, and awaken your internal strength. It makes you realise your power in every given situations, and helps you acts not only rationally, but ideally.

If you read and integrate the teachings of this book into your life, you will be a happy person generally. Things people do won't get you angry. You begin to see things from different and whole angles, and become self-restraint. It's the Bible for self control, and to realise your power in any situations.

2.Analects by Confuscious.

This book is a collections and compilations of the teachings of Confuscious. It focuses on self-leadership, sharpening your eyes to see things for what they are, and to be a refined man. Based on the theme of this book, I think it's for men (based on the "jonzi" term) , though women can learn from it.

It teaches you to be moral, principled and reconcile your fleshy desire with what you could be. It's a book that calls forth the best in you, a call to excellence. It focuses on maxing out your potential, and to be the man everybody who have the fortune of meeting you grateful.

This two books will help you not suffer uselessly. Because life in itself is suffering. You'll make decisions that others who don't have such knowledge will sufer for, even permanently. You can't afford to not tap into the knowledge of this sage, and avoid making useless mistakes.

The audio books are on YouTubes, so you don't have to buy it. So maybe when you're driving or cooking, plug headphones and listen to it.

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by rinzylee(m): 11:20pm On Mar 19, 2023
pansophist:

Let me drop this two first. Please read it and come back for more.

1. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

This book is for stoics, or anyone that wants to strengthen their inner core, and awaken your internal strength. It makes you realise your power in every given situations, and helps you acts not only rationally, but ideally.

If you read and integrate the teachings of this book into your life, you will be a happy person generally. Things people do won't get you angry. You begin to see things from different and whole angles, and become self-restraint. It's the Bible for self control and to coexist graciously.

2.Analects by Confuscious.

This book is a collections and complications of the teachings of Confuscious. It focuses on self-leadership, sharpen your eyes to see things for what they are, and to be a refined man. Based on the theme of this book, I think it's for men (based on the "jonzi" term, though women can learn from it.

It teaches you to be moral, principled and reconcile your fleshy desire with what you could be. It's a book that calls forth the best in you, a call to excellence. It focuses on maxing out your potential, and to be the man everybody who have the fortune of meeting you grateful.

The audio books are on YouTubes, so you don't have to buy it. So maybe when you're driving or cooking, plug headphones and listen to it.

Oh thank you boss!!!

I am gonna get them.

Cheers mate!!
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by cooooooks(m): 2:49am On Mar 29, 2023
Nigeria, and someother countries, were wary of Morocco usurping them as the major country.

They are bigger, more developed, etc.

They would suck up a significant portion of the traffic of rich and middle class africans who usually go to Dubai, Turkey, Spain sef.
LordAdam16:

That entire Morocco-ECOWAS fiasco was a geopolitical red herring.

Morocco is always on the lookout for opportunities to court international political capital for its claims in Western Sahara.

Nigeria rebuffed that advance because it'll get us entangled in sh*tty Middle Eastern politics. We have enough problems with Islamists to choose a side. Algeria, Iran, Qatar, and certain pacts in Egypt and the UAE would have made giving Morocco's claims legitimacy a very painful decision for us.

Like Oman, they're the outcasts of the Ummah. Historically, they've pursued unilateral moves because of deep suspicion of other forces in the Levant.

The development in Morocco is mostly to pacify citizens because the Monarchy has very powerful geopolitical foes. It is on that basis that they can't offer Nigeria the same visa privileges they extend to some West African states, lest our Islamists be used by Middle Eastern funders to destabilize Western Sahara and the ruling house's hold on power.

I like the Amazighs tho'. Proud, fascinating, fiercely independent, and politically deft people.

-Lord
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by cooooooks(m): 2:51am On Mar 29, 2023
How does one in Nigeria apply for a visa. No website that i could find but I saw an address in Abuja.

I have a visa but want to get one for my fiancΓ©e (who is in Nigeria) so we can go together.

Iqtest:
Hey guys i travelled to marrakesh 4 days ago i will be dropping details about my stay here in a minute
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by cooooooks(m): 2:59am On Mar 29, 2023
From my Moroccan friend, tourism isn'ttoo profitable....yet.

The government is trying to expand the economy of the country mightily. They want people to be employed in everything. They want to be plugged into the global supply chain, including in tourism and travel.

There is still some slight maltreatment of some Africans (family member experienced this during covid)

Iqtest:

You are absolutely right. πŸ‘, 50-70% of tourists in my hotel were mostly Americans and Europeans.
Morocco is currently one of the biggest tourist destinations in world,the government are really making huge revenues from tourism.
Wish Nigeria government could invest more in tourism like other Africa nations
Re: A Nairalander's Short Trip To Marrakesh, Morocco (Photos) by ProblemChild1: 10:45am On Mar 29, 2023
Uniquetani1:
Looks good
Na Canada I want go in case you know short route
I swear. Na that country just dey my mind right from the time I dey my mama belle

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Speeding Car Rams Into Billboard In Lagos, Catches Fire (photos) / FRSC Can Only Operate On FG Roads, Appeal Court Rules / Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.