Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? (12342 Views)

Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, / Good or bad parenting: Young Boy Steals Meat And Blames Devil For It / Beating A Child Good Or Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by juocin: 9:13am On Mar 23, 2023
Hello how

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Blesphil(f): 9:14am On Mar 23, 2023
Thanks
[quote author=Bahamas95 post=121993191][/quote]
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Probz(m): 9:15am On Mar 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:
Absolutely, every parent should be well behaved.

But not all things children copy from their parents

“Do as I say, not as I do.”

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by MechanicMike: 9:16am On Mar 23, 2023
siofra:
Don't spank your child except it's absolutely necessary. In very very rare cases. Very rare. But I think you shouldn't do it at all.

Siofra who's the fat babe on your photo profile..I like am. Can I give u 10k cash so u can gimme her nomba so I can arrange her for Fridays please?. smiley
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by DeeGov123(m): 9:17am On Mar 23, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
No one has ever spanked me all my life. My dad warned my brothers not to ever make that mistake of hitting me irrespective of my offense when we were much more younger, so I don’t believe in spanking a child. You should rather talk to the child or have a way of communicating your disappointment over things that child does.
so your father knows more than God
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by benqo01(m): 9:19am On Mar 23, 2023
INEC CHAIRMAN WAS SPANKED SO HE COULD BE DISCIPLINE IN LIFE AND KNOW WHAT IS GOOD OR BAD

BUT LOOK AT IT NOW

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by gosmoney(m): 9:19am On Mar 23, 2023
U are so funny, u asked question dat u have already answered
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 23, 2023
Parents don't really spank their children these days. Spanking seems to me a lighter version of beating. If spanking means no harm physical and mental done to the child , then to me is not bad.
I believe there are always other alternatives to spanking.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Bahamas95(m): 9:24am On Mar 23, 2023
Blesphil:
Thanks
You welcome.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by benqo01(m): 9:26am On Mar 23, 2023
SPANKING OR NOT,IF YOU GOT GOOD CHILDREN THANK YOUR GOD

SEE OUR PARENT DIDNT SPANK US BUT ONE THING IS SURE WE GREW UP RESPONSIBLE,WE SAVED OUT PARENT THE STRESS IT WAS NOW IN OUR COURT TO KNOW WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS NOT.

SOME OF US RE MARRIED WITH CHILDREN NOW

NA GRACE OF GOD

2 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Ephemmm: 9:29am On Mar 23, 2023
DonTattaglia:
Go and ask one slowpoke, an Idiot drug junkie..A bastard whose urchins are as stupid as a GOAT. His name is Tinubu a criminal whom some F00LS are sheepishly supporting. They will shocked after d court finishes with him. I can't wait to see them jump into d lagoon.

But you have been seriously warned to stop skipping your drugs tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Ephemmm: 9:31am On Mar 23, 2023
mrsqueen:
I just spanked my 9 years old boy last night when I came back to here that he had the effronty to slide the gate open, and joined some neighboring kids in playing just outside the gate. He was the eldest in the house as at that moment so no one to fear. But when the younger ones reported him to me, he felt so bad and was already crying. I almost pitied him. But it was already too late as the Cain had to come out. And "Sorry..." was his new name when I was done with him. He also had to write an undertaking declaring that he will never open the gate and step outside again whenever Daddy and Mummy are not at home. We will have to look at the letter later today because of his ongoing exams in school. The letter will be read out and signed in The presence of everyone in the house tonight. This letter will go into his file and come out again whenever he does such a thing again. Of course he can never try that again.

Ah! Ah!. This is serious.

I like this methodology though.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by colestephan86: 9:31am On Mar 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:
I have seen numerous debates about whether disciplining a child by spanking him or her is right.

Some parents are for it, while some are against it. Only parents can finally decide whether to spank their kids or not.

But it must be known that whichever way you choose to train your child will definitely reflect on how your child treats you tomorrow.

The honor you get from you child as a parent will be as a result of how best you were able to inculcate good precepts and concepts in that child.

Here is what the Bible says about spanking a child;

" Children just naturally do silly, careless things, but a good spanking will teach them how to behave." Proverbs 22: 15 GNT

Another translation puts it this way;

"A youngster’s heart is filled with foolishness, but physical discipline will drive it far away". Proverbs 22:15 NLT

Yet another interesting translation puts it;

"Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; the rod of discipline [correction administered with godly wisdom and lovingkindness] will remove it far from him". Proverbs 22:15 AMP

It is important that you start disciplining your child when he or she is still little.

Don't copy deluded cultures that enthrone children who bully their parents, all in the name of legal protection or human rights.

The rot in the society is directly linked to collapse in family values.

However you choose to train your kids lies in your hands but if you want the truth, this is it; spanking kids is a good way to make them behave.

ES
Once a child have shown a certain level of intelligence, he or she needs correction
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by zoghys: 9:37am On Mar 23, 2023
DRPAIT123:

The rod of discipline as the bible puts it IMO only has the end goal of modeling and correcting a child; this must not be achieved by spanking at all cost.

I understand that the concept of spanking has been adopted by Africans for a long time now and many people now see it as the one and only way to making an erring child turn a new leaf but that is when it all gets defective, dogmatically conservative and close-minded.

Spanking is just one of the many ways by which a child can be corrected and we as Africans must not be oblivious of that fact.

I won't say spanking does not work but I'd like to believe that there are better ways of handling things.

In short, I won't be subjecting my future kids to extreme torture in the name of seeking corrective measures. And just so you know, they will still turn out fine and even better.

I had classmates way back in my primary and secondary school days who were thoroughly flogged consistently for being obstinate and they never changed just cos they were beaten.

The logic should not be to spank by all means but to get the needed results using the best available approaches.

Too much theory no practical. Come back and comment when you start having children.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by EmpressOne(f): 9:37am On Mar 23, 2023
Spanking is mere violence & fear tactics, and you should teach peace, love and communication to your children instead of violence. There is NO love in violence, let's be wise.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 9:38am On Mar 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:
I have seen numerous debates about whether disciplining a child by spanking him or her is right.

Some parents are for it, while some are against it. Only parents can finally decide whether to spank their kids or not.

But it must be known that whichever way you choose to train your child will definitely reflect on how your child treats you tomorrow.

The honor you get from you child as a parent will be as a result of how best you were able to inculcate good precepts and concepts in that child.

" Children just naturally do silly, careless things, but a good spanking will teach them how to behave." Proverbs 22: 15 GNT

"A youngster’s heart is filled with foolishness, but physical discipline will drive it far away". Proverbs 22:15 NLT

"Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; the rod of discipline [correction administered with godly wisdom and lovingkindness] will remove it far from him". Proverbs 22:15 AMP

It is important that you start disciplining your child when he or she is still little.

Don't copy deluded cultures that enthrone children who bully their parents, all in the name of legal protection or human rights.

However you choose to train your kids lies in your hands but if you want the truth, this is it; spanking kids is a good way to make them behave.

ES

The fact is the threat of physical pain only works when the child is young and defenseless in the face of the parents clear physical superiority. If that forms the basis of your discipline what happens when the child has grown physically and is assured they can at least withstand some physical confrontation? I bet no parent wants to get to the point where their child wants to physically manhandle them but it will if you insist on making physical punishment the basis for discipline.

I as a parent resolved that words will form the basis of discipline for my children and physical methods will be used very sparingly if at all. So far so good, my children listen to me when I speak and I daresay are more put together than many children we encounter. Abuse has no place in parenting especially physical abuse.

2 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by zoghys: 9:39am On Mar 23, 2023
oliverwrites:
My mom can beat more than Mike Tyson but I no die instead I am better for it.

My teacher in secondary school will beat me if I buy complete sports and today's sports, he will still beat me the next day if I do not buy because apparently he thought I was going to buy hence he did.

Today I regard him as one of my best teachers and was telling my daughter about him few days ago. Beating when done for correctional purpose and in love is very very good especially for stubborn cows like myself.

Lol, nice one
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by nairamaniac: 9:40am On Mar 23, 2023
SHIVA001:
If You really want Your Child to blossom, You need to Transform yourself into A joyful, loving and peaceful being. Children don't listen to you. They Watch your Actions.
This one you said here is when they have started having sense(getting into teenagers) and young adults.
We are talking about child here(like 10years old and less than 10).

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 9:41am On Mar 23, 2023
oliverwrites:
My mom can beat more than Mike Tyson but I no die instead I am better for it.

My teacher in secondary school will beat me if I buy complete sports and today's sports, he will still beat me the next day if I do not buy because apparently he thought I was going to buy hence he did.

Today I regard him as one of my best teachers and was telling my daughter about him few days ago. Beating when done for correctional purpose and in love is very very good especially for stubborn cows like myself.

What I see is most people beat out of frustration not correction or love.

3 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by nairamaniac: 9:43am On Mar 23, 2023
LordReed:

The fact is the threat of physical pain only works when the child is young and defenseless in the face of the parents clear physical superiority. If that forms the basis of your discipline what happens when the child has grown physically and is assured they can at least withstand some physical confrontation? I bet no parent wants to get to the point where their child wants to physically manhandle them but it will if you insist on making physical punishment the basis for discipline.

I as a parent resolved that words will form the basis of discipline for my children and physical methods will be used very sparingly if at all. So far so good, my children listen to me when I speak and I daresay are more put together than many children we encounter. Abuse has no place in parenting especially physical abuse.

So spanking your 6-year old child is ABUSE?

U can't be serious.

The spanking serves as a deterrent from making the child make similar mistakes.

You said physical methods would be used sparingly?

What if the child commits offences "unsparingly"?

Meanwhile u should have no fears of the child standing against you physically, cos you wd use the rod on him with love and let him/her understand it's for his own good while you are at it.
Then reward/applaud the same child when he/she does great.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Probz(m): 9:50am On Mar 23, 2023
Phamo0:
Parents don't really spank their children these days. Spanking seems to me a lighter version of beating. If spanking means no harm physical and mental done to the child , then to me is not bad.
I believe there are always other alternatives to spanking.

Nigerian parents don’t beat/spank their children anymore? What planet are you living on?
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Albertone(m): 9:51am On Mar 23, 2023
mrsqueen:
I just spanked my 9 years old boy last night when I came back to here that he had the effronty to slide the gate open, and joined some neighboring kids in playing just outside the gate. He was the eldest in the house as at that moment so no one to fear. But when the younger ones reported him to me, he felt so bad and was already crying. I almost pitied him. But it was already too late as the Cain had to come out. And "Sorry..." was his new name when I was done with him. He also had to write an undertaking declaring that he will never open the gate and step outside again whenever Daddy and Mummy are not at home. We will have to look at the letter later today because of his ongoing exams in school. The letter will be read out and signed in The presence of everyone in the house tonight. This letter will go into his file and come out again whenever he does such a thing again. Of course he can never try that again.
Is he allowed to go out whenever you are around?

If no, that's counter productive.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by nairamaniac: 9:52am On Mar 23, 2023
LordReed:

What I see is most people beat out of frustration not correction or love.

You can hardly tell the state of mind the beater has while beating the child as an unlooker.

At times, the child needs to feel his actions alone is a frustration to your entire life. Depending on the magnitude of his offence.

True,some parents transfer their frustrations on their children, which is really messed up.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Joseph1505(m): 9:52am On Mar 23, 2023
I would be having another round of class for those who just want a part time job as a Copywriter.

Don't worry, it pays once you take it serious.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by SHIVA001: 9:55am On Mar 23, 2023
[quote author=nairamaniac post=121994234]
This one you said here is when they have started having sense(getting into teenagers) and young adults.
He are talking about child here(like 10years old and less than 10). [/quote
They watch you, from the moment you give birth to them, you can Guide them against wrong influence, But don't let Frustration hit u up, because they will always do things you don't like.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 23, 2023
Probz:

Nigerian parents don’t beat/spank their children anymore? What planet are you living on?

Nigeria is not the whole f*king planet bro. Read again, but now gently
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by mmsen: 10:01am On Mar 23, 2023
SHIVA001:
If You really want Your Child to blossom, You need to Transform yourself into A joyful, loving and peaceful being. Children don't listen to you. They Watch your Actions.

This will go over their heads. They want to quote scripture and be hypocrites rather than look inwards.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Spain007(m): 10:01am On Mar 23, 2023
EmekaStanley:

ES

Spare the rod, spoil the child is a modern-day proverb on the wisdom of discipline. It means that, if a parent refuses to discipline an unruly child, that child will grow accustomed to getting his own way and develop an air of entitlement. He will become, in the common vernacular, a spoiled brat.

2 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by SHIVA001: 10:07am On Mar 23, 2023
mmsen:

This will go over their heads. They want to quote scripture and be hypocrites rather than look inwards.

Exactly 😂😂
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 10:09am On Mar 23, 2023
nairamaniac:

You can hardly tell the state of mind the beater has while beating the child as an unlooker.

At times, the child needs to feel his actions alone is a frustration to your entire life. Depending on the magnitude of his offence.

True,some parents transfer their frustrations on their children, which is really messed up.

From the things they say you can.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:10am On Mar 23, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
No one has ever spanked me all my life. My dad warned my brothers not to ever make that mistake of hitting me irrespective of my offense when we were much more younger, so I don’t believe in spanking a child. You should rather talk to the child or have a way of communicating your disappointment over things that child does.

That's why you behave the way you do on nairaland. No wonder!

Smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Wife's Greatest Weapon. / Phase When You Start Hating Your Family’s Financial Situation / Teenage Boys And Hormones.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.