Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,736 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? (12309 Views)

Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, / Good or bad parenting: Young Boy Steals Meat And Blames Devil For It / Beating A Child Good Or Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by 7upnigeria: 2:16pm On Mar 23, 2023
DrDunamis:

Lovely piece you've written here, even though a good spanking is needed from time to time as the Spirit leads, most persons really don't under what the scriptures mean by "rod of correction". Its not actually a physical rod with which to beat or whip, it's actually the tongue. You'd be amazed that they know and understand fully well what you're communicating to them regardless of their age.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't trash them good when they over do

You'll not kill someone O, end time Pastor. That's how you people turn the Bible upside down just to suit your interest. Rod of correction is tongue?
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by jaxxy(m): 2:17pm On Mar 23, 2023
only after proper conversation, educative correction and guidance. Then if no proper corrective response u may apply spanks and punishments appropriately.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by 7upnigeria: 2:21pm On Mar 23, 2023
DonBenny77:
Nigerians now applying the bible more than Oyibo wey bring the religion come. Oyibo wey no spank their pikin no get sense abi?
The same bible said though shall not steal or fornicate but even yahoo boiz and hookupers are here quoting bible and testifying how the got abused by parents and teachers and came out well.
When a case of abuse comes up on front page maybe from a teacher or a parent same fools will come out here and condemn the person. What the yardstick to judge when the spanking is excess.
Naija is filled up with hippocritical idiots I swear.
Even cheating wives will come out here to type that they came out well.
Fools!

We have turned to American way of life for everything and I dont think it will end well if we continue in that direction. We had our own culture, religion, language etc. Now everything is just americanised
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by SHIVA001: 2:41pm On Mar 23, 2023
7upnigeria:

If you dont have anything reasonable to say, why dont you just keep quiet. An adult who's not well brought up will be dealt with by the society at adulthood. There are many adults who are in debt because they dont know how o manage money, there are adults in jail for stealing, manslaughter, fraud etc.

Here, we are talking about how to raise children so that they dont become irresponsible like some of the adults mentioned above.
So you think it's by spanking, there is no guarantee to anything in Life, so you think that those armed robbers were not beaten by their parents when they were children. I know of people that their parent never laid a finger on them when they were young and they turn out well okay.

2 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Lemmy123(m): 2:57pm On Mar 23, 2023
woginid967:
My sister's 7 years old daughter washed my iphone 8 that Year and soaked my air Jordan in omo filled water....

I didnt spank, beat am like thief.

Nonsense

Awwwwww... This is not so nice.. Children, unlike adults don't have a sense of consequence, and they are not completely aware of the damages their actions may cause. We know iPhone is expensive and Jordans too, but the kid is priceless. And oh, perhaps you were too quick to anger you didn't see through her intention of wanting to keep your phone clean (literally).

Don't do that next time bro, I'm not proud of you

2 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by fijihems: 3:00pm On Mar 23, 2023
I was flogged several times by my father, but that was during my time. I didn't take any offense because I thought that it was the normal thing to do. My mother never spanked me, but would rather rush to drag me out from my father when she taught the beating was too much.

I see that as family politics, when mothers decide to let the father discipline their children while they play the good mother while creating hatred between the children and the father.

In my own case, I adopted the same style of spanking and disciplining my children, particularly my son who was the first born overseas. My son doesn't seem to like the way I tried to discipline him when he was younger and the mother uses that against me.

So, I am of the opinion that it is counter productive to spank children particularly if they are born in a developed country or even in Nigeria or elsewhere. The best approach is to deny the child what they love most until they correct their actions or attitude.

2 Likes

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by millstone(m): 3:06pm On Mar 23, 2023
LordReed:

What I see is most people beat out of frustration not correction or love.
Exactly. You come home frustrated with your own life and challenges and then beat the child for being a child. I saw a post from a guy who beat his 9 year old son for going to their neighbour's house to play with other kids and e dey proud talk am after sowing seeds of division within his household. These crop of kids we are raising now I don't think we know the ticking time bomb we are sitting on. The one that don't want to flog the child are already raising spoilt brats while the ones when dey beat wan kill the pikin in the name of discipline

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by being(m): 3:17pm On Mar 23, 2023
PLS PLS SPANK THE CHILD!!!! The child will not die.
Compare the western teenager behaviours vs African teenage behaviours. Pls stop all these spanking is not necessary!!

DRPAIT123:

The rod of discipline as the bible puts it IMO only has the end goal of modeling and correcting a child; this must not be achieved by spanking at all cost.

I understand that the concept of spanking has been adopted by Africans for a long time now and many people now see it as the one and only way to making an erring child turn a new leaf but that is when it all gets defective, dogmatically conservative and close-minded.

Spanking is just one of the many ways by which a child can be corrected and we as Africans must not be oblivious of that fact.

I won't say spanking does not work but I'd like to believe that there are better ways of handling things.

In short, I won't be subjecting my future kids to extreme torture in the name of seeking corrective measures. And just so you know, they will still turn out fine and even better.

I had classmates way back in my primary and secondary school days who were thoroughly flogged consistently for being obstinate and they never changed just cos they were beaten.

The logic should not be to spank by all means but to get the needed results using the best available approaches.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by nairamaniac: 3:23pm On Mar 23, 2023
LordReed:

From the things they say you can.

Honestly, I concur with this. Some use the child as a form of relief to their personal frustration.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 3:37pm On Mar 23, 2023
millstone:

Exactly. You come home frustrated with your own life and challenges and then beat the child for being a child. I saw a post from a guy who beat his 9 year old son for going to their neighbour's house to play with other kids and e dey proud talk am after sowing seeds of division within his household. These crop of kids we are raising now I don't think we know the ticking time bomb we are sitting on. The one that don't want to flog the child are already raising spoilt brats while the ones when dey beat wan kill the pikin in the name of discipline

Yeah. There has to be a balance. I don't condone spoiling a child, once I start observing spoilt behaviour in my children I make sure I warn them and steer them away from such behaviour. And sometimes that steering involves a lil spanking.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by 1Sharon(f): 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2023
80% of Nigerians believe in violence.

They're quick to mention "spare the rod, spoil the child'

But I've never heard a single person quote the verse talking about provoking your children to anger.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by 1Sharon(f): 4:54pm On Mar 23, 2023
nairamaniac:

You can hardly tell the state of mind the beater has while beating the child as an unlooker.

At times, the child needs to feel his actions alone is a frustration to your entire life. Depending on the magnitude of his offence.

True,some parents transfer their frustrations on their children, which is really messed up.

He's right. Alot of Nigerian parents beat out of frustration. They transfer aggression, when something annoys them.

But their children are not allowed to have an attitude after having a bad day at school, they will be dealt with.
So it's hypocrisy.

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by 1Sharon(f): 4:56pm On Mar 23, 2023
Spain007:

Spare the rod, spoil the child is a modern-day proverb on the wisdom of discipline. It means that, if a parent refuses to discipline an unruly child, that child will grow accustomed to getting his own way and develop an air of entitlement. He will become, in the common vernacular, a spoiled brat.

Na una favourite verse be that.
Why didn't you quote the verse telling parents not to provoke their children?
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by 1Sharon(f): 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2023
fijihems:
I was flogged several times by my father, but that was during my time. I didn't take any offense because I thought that it was the normal thing to do. My mother never spanked me, but would rather rush to drag me out from my father when she taught the beating was too much.

I see that as family politics, when mothers decide to let the father discipline their children while they play the good mother while creating hatred between the children and the father.

In my own case, I adopted the same style of spanking and disciplining my children, particularly my son who was the first born overseas. My son doesn't seem to like the way I tried to discipline him when he was younger and the mother uses that against me.

So, I am of the opinion that it is counter productive to spank children particularly if they are born in a developed country or even in Nigeria or elsewhere. The best approach is to deny the child what they love most until they correct their actions or attitude.

At least you are not the typical Nigerian parent that doubled down on your actions. You instead became reflective based on your sons grievances towards your actions.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by millstone(m): 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2023
LordReed:

Yeah. There has to be a balance. I don't condone spoiling a child, once I start observing spoilt behaviour in my children I make sure I warn them and steer them away from such behaviour. And sometimes that steering involves a lil spanking.
I subscribe to this. I have always wanted daughters and even though I hope to spoil them silly they are lines I wouldn't want them to dare cross not because I'm holier than thou but because I know what it's like going down that road and how hard it is to find redemption
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by jayAjoku(m): 6:12pm On Mar 23, 2023
GboyegaD:

They are more truthful and organized than we are.
πŸ˜‚
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by woginid967: 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2023
Lemmy123:

Awwwwww... This is not so nice.. Children, unlike adults don't have a sense of consequence, and they are not completely aware of the damages their actions may cause. We know iPhone is expensive and Jordans too, but the kid is priceless. And oh, perhaps you were too quick to anger you didn't see through her intention of wanting to keep your phone clean (literally).

Don't do that next time bro, I'm not proud of you

Pls buy phone so expensive and let someone wash..... Come back here when you have done better.

E pain me o
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:40pm On Mar 23, 2023
people fail to follow the development of a child there is time a child uses a month to explore the world, we grab it and put away from reach, then when they start to walk everything is grabbed and thrown at this stage their are understanding few commands stop etc. From startng to work to primary school is crutial period of choosing how deal withh the child spanking is necessary at very young age tolddler age, eg a spank on the hand then at age 4 and above more vocal commands are needed and less beating

Problem with parents we beat a child without fully explaining the wrong, expect them to get right the second time you corrected them whereas their are just children tend to forget alot, they a constant verballly reminder, we are not patience with out children we tend want them to get it right the 2nd and we use fear as way to control instead of using reasoning(of their age )

thats why you find children in the western world ask why, they just want to hear your reason why and sometimes it makes them
remember that you once said it and they will back off
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Bintdawood(f): 8:32pm On Mar 23, 2023
Some ppl be saying otherwise in the comment sectionπŸ˜’πŸ˜’ tohhh even the oyiboz dey spank their kidsπŸ˜‘ no come dey form for us abegggg

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Whois(m): 9:06pm On Mar 23, 2023
fijihems:

Works like a cham
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by jamesharryson(m): 9:12pm On Mar 23, 2023
DRPAIT123:

The rod of discipline as the bible puts it IMO only has the end goal of modeling and correcting a child; this must not be achieved by spanking at all cost.

I understand that the concept of spanking has been adopted by Africans for a long time now and many people now see it as the one and only way to making an erring child turn a new leaf but that is when it all gets defective, dogmatically conservative and close-minded.

Spanking is just one of the many ways by which a child can be corrected and we as Africans must not be oblivious of that fact.

I won't say spanking does not work but I'd like to believe that there are better ways of handling things.

In short, I won't be subjecting my future kids to extreme torture in the name of seeking corrective measures. And just so you know, they will still turn out fine and even better.

I had classmates way back in my primary and secondary school days who were thoroughly flogged consistently for being obstinate and they never changed just cos they were beaten.

The logic should not be to spank by all means but to get the needed results using the best available approaches.
My dear, spank your kids when they misbehave. Nobody said you should torture him/her. There is a clear difference between spanking and torture
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Lemmy123(m): 10:30pm On Mar 23, 2023
woginid967:

Pls buy phone so expensive and let someone wash..... Come back here when you have done better.

E pain me o

Now you're cracking me up with the whole washing thing πŸ˜‚

About me buying an iPhone and letting my sister's kid wash it, of course e go pain me but I won't touch the kid... I know myself

Oya, no vex... On behalf the kid, we're sorry πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜πŸ™
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by BigYash: 3:07am On Mar 24, 2023
GboyegaD:

No be dem dey collect bribe everywhere so? We keep thinking we are better yet we are so corrupt a people. Wasn't your politicians, government officials properly disciplined as you claim? How many offices can you get legal document without greasing palms with bribe? In essence, spanking does nothing if we don't have a value system.
If you think we are bad,then wait till the indomine children gets into those offices,na then you go know the difference BTW kakin and leather.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by MechanicMike: 9:09am On Mar 24, 2023
siofra:
Don't spank your child except it's absolutely necessary. In very very rare cases. Very rare. But I think you shouldn't do it at all.

Am going to spank your yansh with broomstick for insalting me angry
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by Lance008(m): 9:38am On Mar 24, 2023
Spank or no spank marry from good home
Some children are reincarnation
Make u no go born mad pikin say na reincarnation of he grandfather or mother

1 Like

Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by being(m): 10:15am On Mar 25, 2023
It is not just about the intentions of the child but d child also having wisdom. Beating the child is not revenge, it is communicating with d child that he has done badly and should not do that next time. And you are doing this for his own good.
Forget your so called love-- love must include discipline.

Btw just taking away things d child loves to do is not enough for some things because he can easily adapt to do other things... he might need actual body pain (beating)
Lemmy123:

Now you're cracking me up with the whole washing thing πŸ˜‚

About me buying an iPhone and letting my sister's kid wash it, of course e go pain me but I won't touch the kid... I know myself

Oya, no vex... On behalf the kid, we're sorry πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜πŸ™
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by DrDunamis(m): 9:58pm On Mar 26, 2023
7upnigeria:

You'll not kill someone O, end time Pastor. That's how you people turn the Bible upside down just to suit your interest. Rod of correction is tongue?
I was going to respond in the light of the wrong energy in this your not so kind statement but I refuse to give vent to satan nor his ideas and words to be expressed through me.
Life is easy, it's very infantile to just assert that anything you don't know about or just hearing for the first time is wrong. You keep responding like this and you'd end up being absolutely ignorant of things you could have learnt easily from others.
Re: Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? by mrsqueen: 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2023
Albertone:

Is he allowed to go out whenever you are around?

If no, that's counter productive.

He can't even comprehend that not to talk about trying it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Home On The Rock. / Phase When You Start Hating Your Family’s Financial Situation / My Dad Is Having An Affair:Do I Talk To Him Politely?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.