Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

Unemployment In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unemployment In Nigeria (21618 Views)

The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. / Man Fries Garri Wearing Suit To Protest High Level Of Unemployment In Nigeria / 10 Ways To Reduce Unemployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployment In Nigeria by Ebierensima: 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2023
As a tired Nigerian youth, the issue of unemployment in Nigeria is not just a topic, but a harsh reality that affects my daily life.

Despite having a good education and skills, I struggle to find a job that matches my qualifications.

The high level of unemployment has left me and many other young Nigerians feeling hopeless and frustrated.

It seems like no matter how hard we try, the system is rigged against us, and opportunities are scarce.

The government's efforts to address the issue have been lacklustre at best, with policies and programs that have not produced tangible results.

It's time for the government to take real action and prioritise creating job opportunities for the youth.

Schools should change their academic curriculum to include more subjects in entrepreneurship so that in the event of not getting a job after spending years in school, one can still survive and make a living.

Until then, we will continue to be a generation stuck in a cycle of unemployment and poverty.

118 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by TeamXola(m): 4:35pm On Mar 24, 2023
It’s not easy to be honest

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by YUNGLURD(m): 5:06pm On Mar 24, 2023
The situation is pathetic, it's as if no light at the end of the tunnel.

Sigh!

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by nurey(m): 6:18pm On Mar 24, 2023
Ebierensima:

1. It's not government job to provide you jobs rather government is supposed to provide enabling environment. Waiting for government is tantamount to failure.

2. Majority of youths in the 20th and upwards generation don't want to learn a trade, go to those during handiwork you rarely see them have work boys the youths don't want to get their hands dirty.

3. Many of us refuse to learn from our parents. My mother owns a shop and I served her 10years I have 10years experience in marketing and human relation, I can sell shit and feaces to anybody from what I have learned.

4. We blame everybody but ourselves, government no give me job, why are my parents poor, my school refused to give me necessary skills etc. Stop complaining go out there and fix ur poblem.

5. Unable to think out of the box. I don't take nonsense from any employer I am ready to resign if the working conditions aren't favourable because I learned 3 trades I can venture into, I can also use my handiwork to make a living.

6. Fear of the unknown. This has incapacitated many people, what if I fail, what if I loose well there is a saying "no risk, no reward" try to take risk and God willing even when you fail you have learned to do better again.

7 certificate. Many graduates think because they went to school they can't do a certain job, because people will.laugh at dem. My first million idea came from paupers who showed me a problem and I decided to abandon my certificates, got dirty and today it's a success story.

8. Not moving with the right crowd. Stop I want to go to unilag, and work with Chevron and start thinking about problems in your society and solution you can provide and cash out from.

There are others, the country is hard and inflation is biting hard, white collar jobs are diminishing but their are opportunities available all around us, find a problem in ur immediate environment and a cost effective solution and cashout.

189 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Rubyjade: 6:22pm On Mar 24, 2023
We have seen the types and the causes of unemployment. Let us see the ways to reduce it.

Here we go …

10 Ways to Reduce Unemployment in nigeria

Here are ten ways for reducing unemployment in Nigeria.

1. Fiscal Policy of Government

Economic plan of any government depends on revenue and expenditure.

Fiscal policy shows how government spends the budget and collects revenues to run the country.

It collects revenue such as corporate and income tax, sales tax, custom duties and tariffs and spends it on repairs of roads and salary.

A Fiscal policy is either expansionary or contractionary, but we are focusing on the former.

Expansionary fiscal policy occurs when government reduces tax and spends more money to make the economy grow.

Because of this growth in the economy, individuals and firms have more money to spend, which raises output. This increase in production adds to growth and lowers unemployment in the economy.

2. Central Bank and Nigeria Monetary Policy

Monetary policy refers to money supply, interest rates, credit in the economy, and rules guiding the financial sector issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on behalf of the government.

Every year CBN makes rules for easy operation of the financial sector. It manages money supply by:

the lending rates going up
the lending rates going down
lending more
lending less

Lending rate affects individuals who borrow from banks to pay for their personal needs and firms who borrow from banks to grow their businesses.

Capital is crucial for any business to survive so companies must borrow at sensible interest rates to make profit.

Monetary policy makes it easy for companies to plan the time to borrow from their banks and do so when interest rates are low.

Getting a loan enlarges their business, which increases output and profit, and helps these companies create more jobs.

3. Government Spending

Due to limited resources and competing needs, it is difficult to get required funds from Government to fix infrastructures that need urgent repairs.

However, if government spends money to repair roads, purchase hospital equipment, and fix public schools, its effect on the economy is visible.

For example to repair any road, government must hire contractors who will employ people to work on the project sites.

The effect, repairing a road, will have on employment is that many laborers will get a job.

The second is that the job increases hired workers purchasing power.

The third is that people will patronize any support businesses, set up near any of the projects sites.

4. Agric Sector Reform

Agriculture is the second largest employer of labor in Nigeria. The agro allied value chain can become the hub for creating more jobs for Nigerians.

Let us use a recent case to support this claim. For example, in December 2016, Lagos state government sold Lake Rice to Lagos residents.

This happened due to a deal between Kebbi and Lagos State for the production of Lake Rice brand, and this alliance created many jobs.

Imagine that all states in the country copy this example, and produce one agric commodity; this would not only reduce unemployment but feed the country as well.

5. Government Intervention in Micro Lending

The government can disburse money to micro finance banks for lending to market women, petty traders, and artisans to stimulate economic growth.

How it will work is that the bank will ask these people to form corporative societies, to enable members get small loans to expand their businesses.

The corporative societies will act as a guarantor for members to ensure borrowers repay the loans.

This plan can help many poor Nigerians become self-reliant and as their business grows; they will create jobs as one of the 10 Ways to Reduce Unemployment in nigeria.

6. Getting Professional Education

Education sets people free from poverty. Educated people, especially professionals are assets to the nation.

For example, a lawyer could specialize in corporate or marine law. These professionals may work in public service or set up their own practice and employ individuals to work for them.

Let us encourage professionalism so they can become employers as one of the 10 Ways to Reduce Unemployment in nigeria.

7. Finishing School

Government has failed to fund the education sector, which have led universities to turn out half-baked graduates with little chance to secure employment.

Thankfully, grooming schools have come to the rescue to retrain and make these graduates valuable and employable.

8. Changing University Curriculum

You can change university curriculum to introduce subjects to train undergraduates for skills that are lacking, but essential for the labor market of today.

The present limited curriculum must change to add subjects such as cybernetics and robotics, computer animation, web courses, data capture, and other technology courses.

If we implement this change, graduates will become qualified for positions in the current labor market and reduce unemployment in Nigeria.

9. Training Entrepreneurs

Government can start a program to train entrepreneurs instead of allowing unemployed graduates to search for jobs that are not there.

For example, the National Youths Service Corp program (NYSC) could become a one-year entrepreneurial training program for all graduates who will pass out to create jobs.

In addition, you can set up an internet business by becoming a blogger, website designer, and copywriter, to reduce unemployment in Nigeria.

10. Setting Up Customer Service Centers

You can set up customer service business, to serve the global community.

All that is required is for employees to accept excellence as a personal value and be able to speak English without any accent, to be able to work for firms abroad.

A customer service center, which can employ large numbers of people, is a doable business that can reduce unemployment.

In Conclusion:

Unemployment is a ticking time bomb, which we must not allow to explode on our faces.

Let us all join hands to provide jobs for unemployed people, mostly made up of youths if we all wish to sleep at night with our eyes closed

Join my thread for vacancies

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Tohsynetita1: 10:05pm On Mar 24, 2023
time has changed, we need to flow with it.

4 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by MetroLane: 11:12am On Mar 25, 2023
Ebierensima:

Schools should change their academic curriculum to include more subjects in entrepreneurship so that in the event of not getting a job after spending years in school, one can still survive and make a living.

Until then, we will continue to be a generation stuck in a cycle of unemployment and poverty.

Even if School teaches Everything in this world relating to Entrepreneurship.

As long as the current Nigerian Economic Policies continues, Majority of the Upcoming businesses will suffer.

joinnow:

Do you know that
even UNILEVER (aka the Company sells products such as Omo washing powder, Key soap, Royco bouillon, Lipton tea, Blue Band margarine, Pears baby care goods, Vaseline petroleum jelly, Lux soap, Close Up toothpaste and many more want to pull out from Nigeria beacuse of harsh economy condition cash crunch

Honestly I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but if we are to look around at the people in power, one will be forced to shake his/her head and hope for the best.

34 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by accordadoga25(f): 11:13am On Mar 25, 2023
My dear, it's everywhere oo.. Even me na Akara dey fry for China

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by inoki247: 11:13am On Mar 25, 2023
Ok
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by jericco1(m): 11:13am On Mar 25, 2023
It is frustrating really because even the ones available have poor renumeration.

It is just tiring.
Only thing one can do is think outside the box.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by iHart(m): 11:13am On Mar 25, 2023
You have a skill and you are looking for a job. Why not start a business with the skill?

8 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by CartelKenneth: 11:14am On Mar 25, 2023
Wahala for who no get passport o

9 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by PHZADDY1(m): 11:14am On Mar 25, 2023
Everybody don mad...make Una continue with tribalism fools

6 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by IpobAntidote: 11:15am On Mar 25, 2023
Tinubu is coming.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by sukkot: 11:15am On Mar 25, 2023
elofokanbale.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by LikeAking: 11:15am On Mar 25, 2023
Ebierensima:
As a tired Nigerian youth, the issue of unemployment in Nigeria is not just a topic, but a harsh reality that affects my daily life.

Despite having a good education and skills, I struggle to find a job that matches my qualifications.

The high level of unemployment has left me and many other young Nigerians feeling hopeless and frustrated.

It seems like no matter how hard we try, the system is rigged against us, and opportunities are scarce.

The government's efforts to address the issue have been lacklustre at best, with policies and programs that have not produced tangible results.

It's time for the government to take real action and prioritise creating job opportunities for the youth.

Wrong!

They don't teach entrpenuership..

That's like a scam.

Nigerian youths should be encouraged to become entrepreneurs.

Also religious private schools like convenat and Madonna must change their negative academic system to allow their students hustle.

It's obvious such unis are the backbone of unemployment in Nigeria.

You hardly see religious P uni students engaging in entrepreneurship... U hardly see them on social media hustling like their go t uni peers.

The fact that someone is a man of God doesn't mean he is smart or wise..

Or always correct.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by FalseProphet1(m): 11:15am On Mar 25, 2023
You knew that there was unemployment and you still voted APC. Enjoy your suffering.

This I have seen.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by BigDawsNet: 11:15am On Mar 25, 2023
The unemployment issue in Nigeria is at the critical level... if you rounding up ur services soon... start think of an alternative so you won't get frustrated...

We have jobs in Nigeria but its very limited... which means you have to know person that know somebody...

You may be lucky if your extraordinary good in a particular field...

I remember I applied to almost all federal jobs in Nigeria and nothing came up...

I was so frustrated because I wanted to serve, fight for my country in the military or paramilitary level..

I search for jobs in my field but they would rather waste ur time and just make you feel something is wrong with you...

I left the country and I realised Nigeria Unemployment rate is so bad...

Here the gov create 2000jobs for population of 1500... now tell me how u wanna be jobless unless u lazy...

Remember learn Tech! It's very important

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Kubin: 11:15am On Mar 25, 2023
With this set of people in government, Nigeria can never move forward,if u don't like it go to court

3 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by iwaeda: 11:16am On Mar 25, 2023
Ebierensima:

In a saner clime, government provide enabling environments, tax holidays, supports. But in Nigeria, State, LG, FG slammed you with taxes, levies, even with you providing your own light and roads. Government policies killed infant industries because of greed. Ask your self, where are Doyin group of industries along Orile, Eleganza, Lever brothers, PZ at Oshodi, all the industries around Agbara and Sango-Otta. Drive round V/I, Ilupeju, Ikorodu roads most Engineering and consulting industries have locked shop. Some people too, they are all out to defraud and swindle companies. grin grin grin angry angry

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Emmastan291: 11:16am On Mar 25, 2023
H
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by AntiWailer: 11:17am On Mar 25, 2023
Talk about Lack Of Skills too.

I go online and I see tweets and see how plenty youths Lack Critical Thinking in the things they believe or Jubilate about.

There are jobs every where. Skillset to fill the jobs are not available.

With the level of Japa in the banking Tech industry, you can literarily walk into their IT department and get a job immediately.

Try and acquire skills.

The course u study in school does not matter, If you acquire software development skills, quality assurance, data analysis, business analysis etc and any skills in technology, u will get a job sooner than u expect..

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Johnrake69: 11:17am On Mar 25, 2023
Where is Keyamo, the minister for state on Employment?

The Agbaya has never come to the media to address issues concerning his ministry where he draws monthly salaries but always on the media to defend drug allegations and electoral fraud.

And for APC supporters hailing him I hope you realize that you’re part of Nigeria’s problem.

6 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by DesChyko: 11:17am On Mar 25, 2023
I will buttress that of the 'School' with a broader term; 'Education'.

Not everyone must go to the conventional school to become educated. And not everything must be learnt by a learner in a conventional school. There was this student of mine. She sucks at Biology and is a total 'phew' in Mathematics; but her knowledge of words is mind-blowing. She aces her English and Literature like it's no man's business. She was able to shoot above 200 in JAMB because of her high score in ENG and LIT, while other two subjects scores were quite ass. Now when she gets into a tertiary institution; instead of courses being tailored to suit her strengths, she'll probably have to add Maths or Biology or one of those weirdly-named GST courses to her work instead of building on her strengths. I remember we launched a sit-out-of-class protest when even in our final year when our mates were doing 8 courses in total for Year 4, the departments were shaping us up to do 9 courses + 5 courses = 14 courses for same year. Too much to do, too little time.

Education; and the recognition that is accorded it must not be restricted to the 4 walls of the school. Vocational studies need to get equal recognition and certification. That way, anyone can freely explore their strengths and talents and grow in them. Visit Outschool and see diverse fun courses kids are exposed to at an early age. The foundations of what we define as education needs to be shaken up. There are issues that makes our education ineffective such as segregating degrees from different tertiary institutions even when the time and effort put in do not agree with the segregation.

That way, the funnel most of us head into as children will become tributaries instead, each to their own contribution to making the society grow.

4 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Mitsurugi(m): 11:17am On Mar 25, 2023
Unemployment is a foreseeable outcome of our rubbish system of governance steered by irresponsible and wicked leaders (someone already mentioned Keyamo before this comment). We mustn't all be employed, but a well thought out system, support for SMEs and a workable agro sector (and constant electricity too) will produce new businesses and create jobs.

Our problem as a people too is that we're either too afraid or lazy to venture into business. We either like the idea of working for someone chopping daily insult on top of it o or too lazy intellectually and physically to build a business.

I can't understand why it's okay for Nigerian youths to work in farms abroad but when you mention such here its like you're cursing the person.

We need to reorient our mindset and with the comments I read here on Nairaland I'm afraid we're a long way from El Dorado.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Ologundudu2020: 11:17am On Mar 25, 2023
government should pls invest %85 on sport no be everyone is going to school or learn trade. The new generations we having belief in what they can see and do.

We need more offer on sport

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Isabi4lov: 11:18am On Mar 25, 2023
I'm also looking for where I can work and also learn accounting packages.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by samfrancis1(m): 11:18am On Mar 25, 2023
Ebierensima:

this is something we’ve though over and over again.. yes it’s true it seems youth are getting lazy to his days.. but I can tell learning trade in Nigeria as left many people as same as a graduate after education looking for job.. the environment is not work enabled.. it’s still same thing you needed as an educated person in school you’ll still be needing here. It’s either you’re very good at your job or you’re well connected to get thesame job.. if not you’ll just be another laborer in your field of work

4 Likes

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by everythinggirly(f): 11:19am On Mar 25, 2023
For 11 years my friend has been looking for job after graduating from the University, he just decided to venture into pure water business.
Being a graduate can be very tiring in Nigeria, no hope for you at all, unless you have good connections.
Nigeria is a mess!

Kindly contact me for your academic research writing services!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by eProfits(m): 11:19am On Mar 25, 2023
undecided
Re: Unemployment In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 11:19am On Mar 25, 2023
Well, unemployment at this point is subjective!

The reality is that it will get worse... Why??! Because the nation is not growing industrially.

Buhari and APC have managed to scare away all top investors.

The way forward for youths is to master in-demand skills which they can use to make money online and offline.

There are several threads on this forum where these skills have been listed and discussed countless times.

Those of you waiting for government work or big salary jobs will wait and age at home!

9 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life / 10 Pictures Job Seekers Can Relate To / N-Power Device Delivery Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.