Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,665 members, 7,813,229 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka (23220 Views)

Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? / 70 Percent Of Cars Innoson Supplied Has Broken Down – Imo State Gov’t / My Political Analysis For 2023 Elections...my View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Deltafirstson(m): 5:50am On Apr 04, 2023
The Nobel laureate, who appeared on Monday’s edition of Channels Television’s Roadmap 2023, described the elections as “not exactly the most edifying exercise that we’ve been through.”

Stating that he was out of the country for some months, Soyinka shared his insight on the politics-speak that took hold while he was away.

“On arriving, I came in for the World Poetry Day, and immediately, I was bombarded by the most horrendous narratives both pre and after the elections,” he said.

“Since then, I’ve also read columns; I’ve seen Nigerian papers for the first time in months and I didn’t like what I read at all.

“My trust has broken down completely and even the minimum restraint that we’ve learnt to expect from seasoned politicians have been jettisoned completely.”

The literary icon noted that he preferred not to make comments on the electoral process as he was away, though he says it does not mean he was ignorant of what was happening on the home front.

In his estimation, the nation was moving towards a situation, which he says was not planned, but one that happened fortuitously where the existing mould was going to be broken.

“And the signs were there that there would be die-hard opposition to the breaking of that mould,” he said. “Elections should be keenly contested. But I still believe very much in what I call the Fashola Dictum.”

Soyinka quoted former Governor Babatunde Fashola, now Minister of Works and Housing, as once saying elections should be like festivals.

“They should be yet another aspect of the festive spirit of humanity – and this was anything but festive,” he said.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/04/03/2023-elections-my-trust-has-broken-down-completely-soyinka

13 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by HenryThegreat1(m): 5:51am On Apr 04, 2023
A very big shame to inec Chairman. He's a disgrace to humanity.

210 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Nuhskhut: 6:26am On Apr 04, 2023
White hair has spoken.

16 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by 9ijaprince(m): 6:28am On Apr 04, 2023
I have been wondering where Soyinka has been lately. I guess he got struck by unimaginable things that happened in Nigeria lately. The audacity to commit these barbaric acts still baffles me. A governor of a state decided to cut open roads that connect his opponent's strongholds on the eve of election so that elections would not be conducted and not even a statement from the federal government to condemn the terrorism.

193 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Weybuhari: 6:29am On Apr 04, 2023
They are coming to call him IPOB now or trace his ancestry to Enugu state

211 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Obinwenite(m): 6:30am On Apr 04, 2023
Everyone is speaking out except people who has destroyed this country and their supporters. They are against credible things once it is against some certain people even if they knit will help everyone.

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:36am On Apr 04, 2023
HenryThegreat1:
Another opportunity to waile relentlessly today.
I’m sure it’s thank you daddy people as usual

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Mrvictorwrite(m): 6:42am On Apr 04, 2023
So he finally said something? Good.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by ObaKlaz: 7:11am On Apr 04, 2023
Don't worry, Prof. Àgbàdo and cassava have pivotal roles to play in contributing to the growth of our GDP. tongue

On a sober note, even though Tinubu isn't the best or a Maverick, he's definitely NOT mediocre when it comes to governing or governance; let's face it.

Let's just hope he stays in the right frame of mind and body and rally the best hands and brains around himself.

16 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Antivirus92(m): 7:37am On Apr 04, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Weybuhari:
grin
Weybuhari:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by ElSudani: 7:57am On Apr 04, 2023
Weybuhari:

Did he say the elections were free and fair in Iboland?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by shopifyhero1: 8:09am On Apr 04, 2023
Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by smokinloud(m): 8:17am On Apr 04, 2023
Well, I watched the interview and he was almost particular about the disunity caused by the election and not the election process itself!.
He was of the opinion that Tinubu should restructure Nigeria for a better economy. He never made a negative statement against INEC or Buhari!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1C_7hLRPks

6 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Massiveglory: 8:17am On Apr 04, 2023
Constitutionally, Nigeria has no president- elect.
Until the constitution of federal republic is altered or the supreme court of the land rules otherwise swearing in bola tinubu is swearing in an unconstitutional person.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by smokinloud(m): 8:18am On Apr 04, 2023
Antivirus92:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Did he condemn the election?. NO!.

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by smokinloud(m): 8:19am On Apr 04, 2023
Obinwenite:
Everyone is speaking out except people who has destroyed this country and their supporters. They are against credible things once it is against some certain people even if they knit will help everyone.
Oga read to comprehend!.

4 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by smokinloud(m): 8:33am On Apr 04, 2023
HenryThegreat1:
Are you quoting Wole Soyinka or just ranting?!.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by ThankUUJesus: 8:37am On Apr 04, 2023
ElSudani:

Did he say the elections were free and fair in Iboland?
was free in some but not free and fair in Rivers and Imo state

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by smokinloud(m): 8:39am On Apr 04, 2023
ThankUUJesus:
was free in some but not free and fair in Rivers and Imo state
Are you quoting Soyinka?. Did he even say the election was not free and fair?!.
What is the mould he's talking about?.
Is election a mould that unite a country?!.
Or do you not see that he's talking about tribal war that was in display during the election and calling for restructuring!.

6 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Lanretoye(m): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2023
Awon third force people.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by abobote: 8:44am On Apr 04, 2023
Soyinka should stop beating around the bush
Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by asoflax: 9:17am On Apr 04, 2023
Well said
Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Pwettylinda(f): 9:17am On Apr 04, 2023
Foolish man that campaigned for Buhari
Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Nobody: 9:19am On Apr 04, 2023
This one is just using grammar to confuse himself.
Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by splashbaby(m): 9:19am On Apr 04, 2023
Obi people won't like this...Mandate hunter don enter Bush finally... mandate owner dey France dey flex. May 29, here we come. Some people go die of heart attack that day...Yes daddy people, Jubril people are confused.

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by KingLennon(m): 9:20am On Apr 04, 2023
There have never being a free and fair election in this country since 1993. No one should be surprised....

But Mr Yakubu's case is the final nail in the coffin. The man no get 99%. How can you make rigging so obvious like that....

1 Like

Re: 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka by Sunnyja: 9:21am On Apr 04, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
Another opportunity to waile relentlessly today.
I’m sure it’s thank you daddy people as usual
I didn't know that Tinubu will form his own BMC so soon where the only sensible thing N30k monthly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: 3rd Force Unites Against APC, PDP, As Agbakoba’s PT Signs Pact With Obj’s / Maina Drags Reno Omokri To Court Over Corruption Allegations, Seeks N4bn / Zahra Buhari-Indimi And Husband, Ahmed Indimi Celebrate 4th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.