Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? (12491 Views)

TCN Shuts Down Electricity Supply To The Discos Supplying Kaduna & Kano / 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka / 70 Percent Of Cars Innoson Supplied Has Broken Down – Imo State Gov’t (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Goodday90(m): 8:57pm On Jan 15
I went to visit a friend today and he told me that their transformer have been bad for some time and PHCN have come and carried it away and that they said they need to contribute some money to get another transformer,7 million I think
No money no transformer
So this got me thinking,whose responsibility is it to repair/replace these things?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by DivinegiftofGod: 9:02pm On Jan 15
Do consumers have the money to buy a transformer? Abi you think say Dem dey sell transformer for market? It's PHCN of course.

Just go to their office and request for a new one and they'll put you on queue alongside others who had made request and during distribution time they'll supply to the areas that applied for it at once.

Modified
Well you guys will not blame me for not knowing transformers are sold in the open market because all My life I have never experienced or witnessed the communities I lived in buying or contributing for transformer and we hardly contribute ( except a few times) to repair because there are electricians in my area who always fix it whenever it goes bad and e no pass 100 each person.

if we need a new one today it's just a matter of writing them and under three days they've brought and fixed it for us.

Maybe you people are owing NEPA in your area.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Entprys(m): 9:10pm On Jan 15
In a sane country, power provider takes the responsibility.

But in a zoo like this, community of animals will pay with baale claiming to be wise

129 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Ttalk: 9:13pm On Jan 15
I no want shook mouth for Nepa matter

8 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Emperormartin(m): 9:43pm On Jan 15
This has been the normal trend since NEPA rebranded to eedc...

They go from door to door collecting money to repair transformer or buy new one!!!

That's why our friends in overseas are telling us to come over, leave Nigeria and enjoy the good things of life

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by nairalanda1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 15
Ideally, it is the job of the local DISCO, not the job of PHCN. PHCN does not exist. Discos and gencos and TCN have replaced it.

But as to why consumers contribute...this one is easy.

Nigerians are not paying cost reflective tarrifs for electricity. Additionally, over 30% of us do not pay for the power we use.(If you think I am lying...google for the PwC report Solving the Liquidity crunch in the power sector).

As a result, your local DISCO is owing money, and at least 3 of them have been taken over by the banks. Up till today...many of our DISCOS have not broken even. THREE of them, and I mean three of them, have been taken over by their creditors, one has been taken over defacto by the government.

Why...because Nigerians do not want to pay their power bills at market price. We think we must have power for free.

Meanwhile, GSM companies, if the antenna spoil, dem go replace am. Your local provision store owner, if he runs out of milk today, he will replace it within a few hours, if not tomorrow latest....because they are allowed to do something the power sector is not allowed to do. Sell at market price.

This is the result of not letting DISCO set prices.....you will be asked to contribute for your generator.

I went to a private school for primary school, and then for secondary school, na government school I go. My school fees in the primary school were at one point three times what I eventually was paying in the government secondary school I went to....yet in the primary school, in over 6 years of being there it was two times I bought exercise book for myself...the second time, because the supplier was late,and I was advised to buy a book...anyway, normal service was resumed in a few days.

When I entered secondary school, I was paying cheap school fees. Guess what......in my six years there I was buying all my exercise books and stationeries and textbooks while there. Something that in my private primary school..they were issuing us textbook.

Let us all pay a cost reflective tarrif.......and you will see your disco provide you with high quality transformer that would last 300 years. Not this one where we pretend power is cheap, and where in some areas half the population thinks it is free of charge. Ok o.

Modifed.

I thank everyone who has responded to me. As it is, my point is simple. Allow DISCOS to set the price that allows them to make a profit, and you won't have to buy anything for them AT ALL...because they would use their profit to buy it for you.

To all those that abused me, not only do I say shame on you, you guys should not take this site serious. The way you respond, it shows you have allowed me to have so much power over you. You don't have to be my slave, you can be free of me...and be calm.

Modified 2

Just because it is an essential service does not mean that it should run at a loss because you want cheap power.

118 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by DamnnNiggarr: 6:59am On Jan 16
shocked

In America and the UK; the government or the power provider.

In Nigeria; the poor masses, and still compelled to pay for electricity bill after replacing the transformer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by DrAda(f): 6:59am On Jan 16
Same happened around my area. We were also told to contribute. Long story short, they were reported and we got it for free.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Atarakpa: 7:00am On Jan 16
Who is it responsibility to repair a broken telecom equipment.

7 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by yetmao: 7:00am On Jan 16
Most desperate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Karleb(m): 7:01am On Jan 16
The responsibility of tax payers who pay for the electricity they use and don't use not that of the government or the private company that the business was sold to by the government.

Nigeria my country! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by MorataFC: 7:01am On Jan 16
See jamb qwestion grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Regardless: 7:01am On Jan 16
angry
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Lifemanage: 7:01am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:
Ideally, it is the job of the local DISCO, not the job of PHCN. PHCN does not exist. Discos and gencos and TCN have replaced it.

Nigerians are not paying cost reflective tarrifs for electricity. Additionally, over 30% of us do not pay for the power we use.(If you think I am lying...google for the PwC report Solving the Liquidity crunch in the power sector).

As a result, your local DISCO is owing money, and at least 3 of them have been taken over by the banks. Up till today...many of our DISCOS have not broken even. THREE of them, and I mean three of them, have been taken over by their creditors, one has been taken over defacto by the government.

Why...because Nigerians do not want to pay their power bills at market price. We think we must have power for free.

Meanwhile, GSM companies, if the antenna spoil, dem go replace am. Your local provision store owner, if he runs out of milk today, he will replace it within a few hours, if not tomorrow latest....because they are allowed to do something the power sector is not allowed to do. Sell at market price.

This is the result of not letting DISCO set prices.....you will be asked to contribute for your generator.

I went to a private school for primary school, and then for secondary school, na government school I go. My school fees in the primary school were at one point three times what I eventually was paying in the government secondary school I went to....yet in the primary school, in over 6 years of being there it was two times I bought exercise book for myself...the second time, because the supplier was late,and I was advised to buy a book...anyway, normal service was resumed in a few days.

When I entered secondary school, I was paying cheap school fees. Guess what......in my six years there I was buying all my exercise books and stationeries and textbooks while there. Something that in my private primary school..they were issuing us textbook.

Let us all pay a cost reflective tarrif.......and you will see your disco provide you with high quality transformer that would last 300 years. Not this one where we pretend power is cheap, and where in some areas half the population thinks it is free of charge. Ok o.
Good analysis. But why govt no want them to charge cost reflective tarriffs

8 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Lanretoye(m): 7:02am On Jan 16
Who dey use the transformer ni,or of yoiu like you wait for nepa to come and fix it for you then they will show you the difference between light and darkness.light wey dem dey manage to give una before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by jmoore(m): 7:02am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

This is one crucial point you have failed to address. Nigerians have been buying transformers, poles, wires for the DISCOS but you keep talking about how Nigerians are not paying the right tariff for darkness supplied. Government is even paying electricity subsidy for the paltry 5,000 megawatts that can't power up to 30 million Nigerians at a time.

Rest with your propaganda!!

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by MorataFC: 7:02am On Jan 16
Atarakpa:
Who is it responsibility to repair a broken telecom equipment.
OK you dey wait for NEPA?
You go wait tire

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Atarakpa: 7:03am On Jan 16
MorataFC:
OK you dey wait for NEPA?
You go wait tire
we when don japa since. If them like
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by saxahe33: 7:04am On Jan 16
Goodday90:
I went to visit a friend today and he told me that their transformer have been bad for some time and PHCN have come and carried it away and that they said they need to contribute some money to get another transformer,7 million I think
No money no transformer
So this got me thinking,whose responsibility is it to repair/replace these things?
for Nigeria, it's the people making use of it

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by joseph1832(m): 7:05am On Jan 16
It's the job of the Disco. Simple. Don't let anyone fool you into contributing money to buy, repair or even replace a transformer.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by RepoMan007: 7:05am On Jan 16
Whoever you pay bills to.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Blacknote: 7:05am On Jan 16
DivinegiftofGod:
Do consumers have the money to buy a transformer? Abi you think say Dem dey sell transformer for market? It's PHCN of course.

Just go to their office and request for a new one and they'll put you on queue alongside others who had made request and during distribution time they'll supply to the areas that applied for it at once.

Oga u dey talk wetin you no know, maybe for oyibo land naso but for here na una go either buy or repair the old one or no light for una. Shekina

6 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by ryd3(m): 7:05am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Spot on answer!

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by MorataFC: 7:06am On Jan 16
Atarakpa:
we when don japa since. If them like
Good luck bro
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by GanagiBitrus: 7:06am On Jan 16
If you people don't contribute & buy the transformer, you all remain in darkness.
Funny thing is that after buying the transformer, it becomes NEPA property. & they will not even subsidise your bills thereafter.

No Gree For Anybody no reach this matter. smiley

8 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by epainos: 7:06am On Jan 16
The distributor in your area is responsible for it; however, they will not invest in areas where they aren't making a profit. It is only PHCN who could afford to be on a loss in those days cos the government is wasteful.

If you live in an area where there are minimal or no illegal connections, residents pay regularly, and residents are high users, no one will teach the distributor to replace faulty equipment immediately.

But when you live in an area where many residents don't pay their bills, so many illegal connections, meter by-passing connections of high-powered equipment, etc.. you won't have a regular electricity supply. And when there is any faulty equipment, you will suffer before they replace it. When you then have a faulty transformer which is a major expense, they won't supply you. They aren't supposed to ask you, so they will ignore you. Rather, they will take the little ones they supply you and give areas that pay them well. This is business. This is business.

For example, Ebute Meta in Lagos is notoriously known for illegal connections and they don't pay their bills. Dem dey suffers back to back in that area. Lol. But go to Magodo where a flat pays about N20 to N70k per month, and even more, they have an offline period of only 1 or 2 hours daily. At times, it is 24/7 light on.

Dem dey steal from the distributor, and it is struggling to make a profit...now, they want that same distributor to embark on a major expense. Lol. Na dem destroy that transformer cos of overload. ACs and high-powered equipment they did not register they were going to use...they added them and bypassed the meter. Lol. Dem think say dem wise. See...rather than cutting off their lines, they now adopt giving them long offline periods.

The ball is in your court. If you want almost steady electricity, go and get a place around rich people who always pay their bills. Poor people are their enemies. Na dem wicked pass. No mercy for them again. No subsidy. Gbam!!!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:06am On Jan 16
DivinegiftofGod:
Do consumers have the money to aquire a transformer? Abi you think say Dem dey sell transformer for market? It's PHCN of course.

They sell transformer in open market bro, and people have been buying it since ages.
Individuals wey get hotel or factory sef dey buy am and will call the disco guys to come install it.
If you need transformer (fairly used or new), go to Alaba international market or Alaba Trade fair, you go see enough, any size wey you need

8 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Burshh: 7:07am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

Bitter truth told! Many Nigerians don't know that the power we currently consume is heavily subsidized by the government.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Regardless: 7:08am On Jan 16
nairalanda1:

You're absolutely right. But let's ask ourselves, what's the purchasing power of Nigerians?

There are people still collecting less than the minimum wage, you expect those people to pay cost reflective tariff? If the country was working, one should be able to pay for electricity even if you are receiving minimum wage.

Let's also not forget that these DISCOS favour estimated bills to giving prepaid meters because they make more money with estimated billings.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Musty112: 7:09am On Jan 16
Discos but wait on them and you'll wait till eternity to get light
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Replace Broken-Down Electricity Transformers? by Akaegwu(m): 7:09am On Jan 16
DivinegiftofGod:
Do consumers have the money to aquire a transformer? Abi you think say Dem dey sell transformer for market? It's PHCN of course.

You can buy Transformers from the open market. I have lot of friends in the business. It's the duty of service providers to replace the transformers. Corruption is the reason why they ask for money from consumers.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aisha Usman: Obono–Obla Panel Stole $30,000 From My Residence – PEF GM Tells IGP / PUNCH Replies Simmonscooper, Says No Malice Towards Osinbajo / Boko-Haram Has Failed - SSS Public Relations Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.