Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,883 members, 7,828,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was (51123 Views)

Charly Boy Wishes Buhari A Happy 76th Birthday. See How (Photos) / Charly Boy Mocks Rochas Okorocha: 'No Go Hang Yourself' / Charly Boy Joins Shiites' Protest In Abuja(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 10:47pm On Apr 08, 2023
samonak:

Wole Soyinka didn't write for Idiots yet Achebe's "Things fall apart"is regarded as a milestone in Anglophone African literature, and for the perception of African literature in the West. It has come to be seen as the archetypal modern African novel in English, and is read in Nigeria and throughout Africa. It is studied widely in Europe, India, and North America, where it has spawned numerous secondary and tertiary analytical works. It has achieved similar status and repute in Australia and Oceania. The novel has been translated into more than 50 languages, and is often used in literature, world history, and African studies courses across the world. Things Fall Apart was listed by Encyclopædia Britannica as one of "12 Novels Considered the 'Greatest Book Ever Written! Can the same be said of any of Soyinka's work? Guy na just the Nobel prize Soyinka just get but in terms of global appeal and influence. Achebe's miles ahead of him.
What is the source for this claim It was translated into 50 languages?
That is a lie

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by samonak(m): 10:48pm On Apr 08, 2023
felifeli:

Your argument keeps going in circles because you appear not to understand the difference between commercial and literary writings.
forget semantics and just answer this simple question, between both authors, whose work is widely read and known globally?
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 10:49pm On Apr 08, 2023
samonak:
forget semantics and just answer this simple question, between both authors, whose work is widely read and known globally?
Not good enough to win Nobel prize

5 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 10:51pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

Kindly name one novel that Shakespeare wrote
Kindly name any Shakespeare work. Saw You have read
It is obvious you have nothing meaningful to contribute

All you know is makate
Buying and selling
Literature is academic . not only
entertainment.
Some books are for advanced minds only

Shakespeare books are also for advanced minds yet it is a hotcake in the literally world more than 400 years after his demise.

Soyinka is still alive but most of his literally works are already dead. I cannot remember any student of literature reading " Kongi Harvest ". Was that not Soyinka's best book of all times.

So tell me, in the literally world today, can " Kongi Harvest" stand side by side with the "Arrows of God ". Remember Arrows of God is not even Achebe' s best book but it is rated above Soyinka best book.

No matter how many trophies that Mikel Obi won, Okocha is still his father in soccer. Achebe is still Soyinka father in Literature notwithstanding the Nobel prize that he won.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Emola12(m): 10:52pm On Apr 08, 2023
oyin44:
Just because he criticized obi and his crying baby...

Anyway, isn't his fault l blame the imperial government that united us together....

you would av been in coma
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by samonak(m): 10:54pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

Nobel prize is overrated. And can be fixed, tell me what did Obama do to be awarded the Nobel peace prize? Did Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia no win the same peace prize? Same fellow who's systematically wiping out the Tigray people of Northern Ethiopia.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by okito: 10:55pm On Apr 08, 2023
He s right. Soyinka can never be a great Novelist without a Nobel Price
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 10:55pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

Okocha did not win the UEFA champions league but he is a better footballer than Mikel Obi that won it. He is even more talented than all Nigerian players that won the African footballer of the year.

Similarly, Achebe did not win the Nobel prize but he is better than Soyinka that won it. He is also better than all Nigeria authors that have won different awards.

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 10:56pm On Apr 08, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

Shakespeare books are also for advanced minds yet it is a hotcake in the literally world more than 400 years after his demise.

Soyinka is still alive but most of his literally works are already dead. I cannot remember any student of literature reading " Kongi ". Was that not Soyinka's best book of all times.

So tell me, in the literally world today, can " Kongi " stand side by side with the "Arrows of God ". Remember Arrows of God is not even Achebe' s best book but it is rated above Soyinka best book.

No matter how many trophies that Mikel Obi won, Okocha is still his father in soccer. Achebe is still Soyinka father in Literature notwithstanding the Nobel prize that he won.
You should be silent. You are ignorant on literature

You have zero understanding or knowledge
Shakespeare did not write a novel not one . You are trying to cover your vacuity with "Shakespeare books"
What books? Just be silent and spare us the OMATA Proverbs about Mikel Obi. They will only make sense to OMATA traders

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by nesphil(m): 10:56pm On Apr 08, 2023
The hatred between Igbos and Yorubas are now on the same pedestal.

You guys should continue your bigotry, we are nuetral and won't tell you bigots to stop it.

muykem:
Igbo hatred for Yorubas is hereditary. Even Abiola lost in South east in 1993.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by samonak(m): 10:58pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

What is the source for this claim It was translated into 50 languages?
That is a lie
Check under the sub heading literary significance and reception.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_Fall_Apart
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 10:58pm On Apr 08, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

Okocha did not win the UEFA champions league but he is a better footballer than Mikel Obi that won it. He is even more talented than all Nigerian players that won the African footballer of the year.

Similarly, Achebe did not win the Nobel prize but he is better than Soyinka that won it. He is also better than all Nigeria authors that have won different awards.
Keep those Okocha proverbs for traders like you they make no sense
Achebe was not good enough to win the Nobel prize

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by nedekid: 11:00pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:

The same Charley boy that insults an 88 year old man
Everyone is paid. In your clime, stupidity is an ornament.
Last I checked, Charly boy is over 70 and neither did he address Soyinka as a fool.
Yeah, it is easy for you to address people greater than you as fools or say they are stupid. Obviously, if they are as you say, it means you are the opposite right? You are smart and wise abi?
Anyway as I always say, Nigerians have "mouth". Only in Nigeria will you see a poor man trekking pass a mansion and then say the owner does not have taste, that if the owner had consulted him, he could have adviced him on a better design. Only in Nigeria will you see millionaires discussing business, a job seeker will put mouth to advice them on how to make money.
You that only recently applied for a job as a customercare staff in a mushroom company on the outskirts of Lagos is the same person addressing people obviously more than you as "fools" and "stupid". You really have mouth.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by samonak(m): 11:00pm On Apr 08, 2023
lapintoz:

Why not try and win just 1/2 prize....mumu.....

You father even go school, idiat
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by LocalMan2(m): 11:01pm On Apr 08, 2023
Blame it on poverty. Soyinka is a hungry prof. What will you expect from a hungry professor?
Vinnie2000:

*Derailing of Trains
*Owo Massacre of Christians
*Deborah Samuel's painful murder
*ASUU Eight months Strike
*Naira Redesign wahala
*Fake Bishops
*MC Oluomo's threats to Igbos
*Presidential Election
*Governorship Election

Wole Soyinka KEPT MUTE in ALL these grave Issues ravaging Nigeria, undecided

Only to wake up and Focus his energy on Datti/LP/. embarassed

Is this NOT madness, Honestly? 😕

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Peppysco: 11:01pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hedonini:
Of course. I lost respect for the old fool the moment I discerned that he was just another rodent in Tinubu's cookie room. The idiot whose voice of condemnation was very loud against the Jonathan administration somehow retreated into his shell and became deaf and dumb throughout Buhari's disastrous 8 years of sorrow.

Now after a sham election has supposedly produced a bloody thief and drug baron as president, the useless Soyinka has found his voice again, not in condemnation of the election or of the disreputable criminal that was dubiously pronounced winner, but against the people yearning for a change. Obedients are repugnant fascists and he is ready to do a debate with Datti, but he conveniently has nothing to say about INEC, Tinubu, and the APC. This is the final straw.

To start with, your father or any one else in your family, for that matter, can never lace the shoes of the sage you called an old fool. Secondly, Obi is just a fraud package that you Igbos wanted to forcefully sell to Nigerians, just the same way your crooked and fraudulent brothers scam people in Yaba, Idumota and other parts of Nigeria.
Election has come and gone, you fools have been exposed. Just so you know, you guys have done a big damage to any political aspiration any Igbo idiot may ever have in the future, the West and North can see you all for who you are. Every bad blood wey una sow, una go reap am in multiple folds.

4 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 11:01pm On Apr 08, 2023
samonak:

I checked there is no source
Apart from the fact that Wikipedia is bullshit sometimes it gives a source so we can follow the trail
That article is edited too frequently to have any credibility as with anything to do with Ibos on Wikipedia
Bottomline

IT HAS NO SOURCE AND IS A LIE

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 11:04pm On Apr 08, 2023
samonak:

You have not told us how POLITICS denied Achebe of the Nobel prize

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 11:04pm On Apr 08, 2023
samonak:
Nobel prize is overrated. And can be fixed, tell me what did Obama do to be awarded the Nobel peace prize? Did Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia no win the same peace prize? Same fellow who's systematically wiping out the Tigray people of Northern Ethiopia.
lamentations
Not good enough

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 11:06pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

You should be silent. You are ignorant on literature

You have zero understanding or knowledge
Shakespeare did not write a novel not one . You are trying to cover your vacuity with "Shakespeare books"
What books? Just be silent and spare us the OMATA Proverbs about Mikel Obi. They will only make sense to OMATA traders

I am aware that technically, Shakespeare did not write any Nobel as his books are plays in drama form.

However, we are not in a Literature class, hence I used the general term - Novel.

The issue is that you have lost the argument hence you are now clutching at straws.

If not, just mention one of Soyinka's books ( Novel, Drama, play, or Poetry ) that can compete with Things fall Apart in the literally world.

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 11:09pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

Keep those Okocha proverbs for traders like you they make no sense
Achebe was not good enough to win the Nobel prize

Achebe is our Okocha of literature while Soyinka is our Mikel Obi of literature.

Achebe and Okocha have outstanding talents but no trophy. Soyinka and Mikel have limited talents with trophies.

BTW, the igbos have produce a successor to Achebe. When will the Yoruba produce Soyinka successor?
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 11:12pm On Apr 08, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

I am aware that technically, Shakespeare did not write any Nobel as his books are plays in drama form.

However, we are not in a Literature class, hence I used the general term - Novel.

The issue is that you have lost the argument hence you are now clutching at straws.

If not, just mention one of Soyinka's books ( Novel, Drama, play, or Poetry ) that can compete with Things fall Apart in the literally world.

Those who know better than me gave Soyinka the Nobel prize
He was the first African since then others have won it. from Egypt and South Africa
Achebe was just not good enough

You do not know the difference between a playwright and a novelist
Honestly
You should keep quiet

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 11:13pm On Apr 08, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

Achebe is our Okocha of literature while Soyinka is our Mikel Obi of literature.

Achebe and Okocha have outstanding talents but no trophy. Soyinka and Mikel have limited talents with trophies.

BTW, the igbos have produce a successor to Achebe. When will the Yoruba produce Soyinka successor?
I don't relate to beer parlour proverbs
Achebe was not good enough
You have no knowledge
Do they do the same thing?
Soyinka writes plays ,poems,essays,non fiction academic stuff
Achebe wrote fiction. Some Soyinka was a genuine Professor

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by babtoundey(m): 11:15pm On Apr 08, 2023
nedekid:

Last I checked, Charly boy is over 70 and neither did he address Soyinka as a fool.
Yeah, it is easy for you to address people greater than you as fools or say they are stupid. Obviously, if they are as you say, it means you are the opposite right? You are smart and wise abi?
Anyway as I always say, Nigerians have "mouth". Only in Nigeria will you see a poor man trekking pass a mansion and then say the owner does not have taste, that if the owner had consulted him, he could have adviced him on a better design. Only in Nigeria will you see millionaires discussing business, a job seeker will put mouth to advice them on how to make money.
You that only recently applied for a job as a customercare staff in a mushroom company on the outskirts of Lagos is the same person addressing people obviously more than you as "fools" and "stupid". You really have mouth.

Another idiot on the loose!
What do you call an oldman that dances naked in the market. I don't blame, you will feel injured because he is your role model.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by middlebelter(m): 11:15pm On Apr 08, 2023
Area father, you comment is so dissapointing and to say respectable grandfather of your calibre can make this type of public comment is very disappointing. Is this what you are teaching your children? This same Soyinla you are trying to vilify was jailed for supporting Biafra, he is one of the prominent figures that supported Austin Moghalu for president on YPP platform. Where were you and your fellow Obidients then? Running after Atiku?
Your hypocracy and tribalistic tendencies are not difficult to spot, areafather.
I wish you are a bettet father that know how to draw the line.

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by samonak(m): 11:16pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

I checked there is no source
Apart from the fact that Wikipedia is bullshit sometimes it gives a source so we can follow the trail
That article is edited too frequently to have any credibility as with anything to do with Ibos on Wikipedia
Bottomline

IT HAS NO SOURCE AND IS A LIE
GO TO COURT, Or better still, hug Transformer.
https://brittlepaper.com/2019/11/they-say-there-are-over-50-translations-of-things-fall-apart-here-are-61/
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Ferdinandu(m): 11:18pm On Apr 08, 2023
All you trained dogs are doing a great job for the person holding the leash. The mission has all been to strategically turn the election which all frustrated Nigerians came out to speak with one voice into an ethnic and religious battle. You are all almost succeeding, the real disintegration of this country is a job you all must accomplish just because of peanuts you are been paid. Congrats
Legitisreal:
Ipob would deceive you that they were looking for one Nigeria progess

Their frustration on not getting obi is now exposing their bigotry

Chimanda supported Obi cos he is Igbo
Ojiakor supported because they would get seaport
Charleyboy supported to have one over yorubas which failed as usual

These are those that have confessed openly, the ones that haven't are now attacking yorubas as a people as a tip of their intentions

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 11:18pm On Apr 08, 2023
samonak:

GO TO COURT, Or better still, hug Transformer.
https://brittlepaper.com/2019/11/they-say-there-are-over-50-translations-of-things-fall-apart-here-are-61/
what are the
Languages

More IPOB lies

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by 4mable: 11:21pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Ur head nor Correct, Sir. 😕

Justice Oputa, of the Famous Oputa Panel that invited IBB, Gani Fawehinmi,etc? shocked

U think we are talking about Festus Keyamo?

U Smoke Ciga this Morning? 😏
who sabi oputa if not for Obasanjo that made Him head that panel in the year of our Lord 2000, the truth shall prevail and the bigots shall be exposed soon.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Herkim(m): 11:27pm On Apr 08, 2023
Iykenuwa:
I watched the beginning of the Soyinka interview.

It was at the point where he started emphasising that he hadn't met with Tinubu in 5 years, even though nobody mentioned Tinubu to him up till that point.

That's when I knew he wanted to cap nonsense. And he didn't disappoint me.

As for Charly Boy's statement.

All you need to do is read his work and Achebe's.

Achebe is far ahead in all aspects, intellectually and otherwise.

Chinua Achebe is always far behind our living great icon prof wole Soyinka, you need to read wide about

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by nedekid: 11:29pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:

Another idiot on the loose!
What do you call an oldman that dances naked in the market. I don't blame, you will feel injured because he is your role model.
Yeah, if being you is the defination of wise and smart, I'd rather be an idiot. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply)

President Goodluck's Administration 2011-2015 Positive Change Report in Pics / Falz, Aisha Yesufu Tells Protesters To Obey Curfew / Tinubu, Amaechi Head To London To Fetch Buhari - ThisDay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.