Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,354 members, 7,812,006 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was (50964 Views)

Charly Boy Wishes Buhari A Happy 76th Birthday. See How (Photos) / Charly Boy Mocks Rochas Okorocha: 'No Go Hang Yourself' / Charly Boy Joins Shiites' Protest In Abuja(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Benwallt(m): 12:11pm On Apr 08, 2023
I find it quite appalling some of the things I read here and the poster(s) goes free but if I type "I" or any other thing I get banned from that point till the next day. What manner of bigotry is this on the part of these crude mods

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 12:33pm On Apr 08, 2023
Many bigots championing Achebe here do not read and never opened any of his books

This is what he had to say about Ibo culture

"Strong men" in Ibo culture do not bend.
I think than is a fault in the culture

His words

That was the story of Okonkwo who ended his life by suicide

Nothing has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uys3XuJBnro
We saw the same obstinacy with Ojukwu entering a war that would end predictably choosing to waste his people for empty pride

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by pdppower: 12:34pm On Apr 08, 2023
limcar:
one on one, who is the better writer?

I believe you know Soyinka completes all the literary genres: prose, drama and poetry while Achebe wrote only prose. He failed woefully at poetry.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 12:42pm On Apr 08, 2023
limcar:
one on one, who is the better writer?
It is clear you do not read otherwise you would not ask this ridiculous question
You know nothing about literature
You do not compare a drummer to a guitarist. They do different things.
Shakespeare is considered the greatest figure ever in English literature ever
He wrote plays mostly not novels
Wole Soyinka is known mainly as a playwright and poet.,for his outstanding plays that have been performed in theatres around the world
Have you ever been to a theatre to see a play?
I doubt it
You are more likely to go to a beer parlour to eat isi ewu

Stick to what you know.

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by chacoonder(m): 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2023
It is obvious Prof..Wole Soyinka is far greater than Achebe.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by LegendHero(m): 2:13pm On Apr 08, 2023
limcar:
soyinka was a playwright, you møron

Mynd44 Seun

Imagine after saying slurs won’t be allowed on Nairaland, these guys are still doing it.

I did not even use any slur before I was banned few days ago. This account need to go down.

12 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by DMerciful(m): 2:23pm On Apr 08, 2023
You've really gone tribal but against separation so that everybody returns to their tribal enclaves.

You cannot approbate and reprobate at the same time
LegendHero:
People should see the hypocrisy of the Ibo people.

They will lie that they are supporting Obi not because of tribe but yet anytime a Yoruba man speak against their candidate, they start accusing the person of tribalism and etc.

Why did Charley boy compare Soyinka to Achebe if not for tribalism? The hateful Chimamanda also mentioned he supported Obi because he is Ibo but if a Yoruba man says that we won’t hear word online again.

In all this, I’ve not seen the useless Falz and Marcaroni come out to condemn this assault on our living legend, but the useless guys will be online to cry about tribalism when a Yoruba celeb give it to these guys hot.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by LegendHero(m): 2:33pm On Apr 08, 2023
DMerciful:
You've really gone tribal but against separation so that everybody returns to their tribal enclaves.

You cannot approbate and reprobate at the same time

I own my tribal stuff like a man and you won’t see me saying I’m not.

But the issue here is some hypocrites from Ibo land who are hardcore open tribalist but still posture as a non tribalist. Why the hypocrisy?

This Charley Boy once called Fani Kayode a tribalist, and I laugh hard. Is Charley Boy not a tribalist?

Same as Peter Obi who is a religious bigot. Rather than owning up to it like a man, he goes about lying that he is not one.

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by DMerciful(m): 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
We're saying the same thing. Since its obvious no country can make progress when tribalism reign supreme, why do we pretend to want to build a country.

I have been consistent in calling for separation because i dont see any other way out and life is too short to use it to experiment the raising of a dead horse
LegendHero:

I own my tribal stuff like a man and you won’t see me saying I’m not.

But the issue here is some hypocrites from Ibo land who are hardcore open tribalist but still posture as a non tribalist. Why the hypocrisy?

This Charley Boy once called Fani Kayode a tribalist, and I laugh hard. Is Charley Boy not a tribalist?

Same as Peter Obi who is a religious bigot. Rather than owning up to it like a man, he goes about lying that he is not one.

5 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by LegendHero(m): 2:50pm On Apr 08, 2023
DMerciful:
We're saying the same thing. Since its obvious no country can make progress when tribalism reign supreme, why do we pretend to want to build a country.

I have been consistent in calling for separation because i dont see any other way out and life is too short to use it to experiment the raising of a dead horse

Do you have the power to effect the separation?

Yoruba nation tried clamoring for it and we know how it ends. IPOB also tried same thing and we know how it ends.

The only people that can divide this country are the political players, until they get tired together, this country will be indivisible.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by DMerciful(m): 2:56pm On Apr 08, 2023
How will the political class get tired when they're benefitting disproportionately from the status quo?

We're the victims of this contraption and we unfortunately are the foot soldiers used to enforce the indivisibility of the contraption.

Its only a matter of time
LegendHero:

Do you have the power to effect the separation?

Yoruba nation tried clamoring for it and we know how it ends. IPOB also tried same thing and we know how it ends.

The only people that can divide this country are the political players, until they get tired together, this country will be indivisible.

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by totit: 3:12pm On Apr 08, 2023
Dame Charley boy that couldn't pay his houserent while he was living in Lagos Island?

Lmaooo grin

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by johannu(m): 3:43pm On Apr 08, 2023
DMerciful:
How will the political class get tired when they're benefitting disproportionately from the status quo?

We're the victims of this contraption and we unfortunately are the foot soldiers used to enforce the indivisibility of the contraption.

Its only a matter of time

It's only a matter of time.

4 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by limcar: 3:55pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

It is clear you do not read otherwise you would not ask this ridiculous question
You know nothing about literature
You do not compare a drummer to a guitarist. They do different things.
Shakespeare is considered the greatest figure ever in English literature ever
He wrote plays mostly not novels
[Wole Soyinka is known mainly as aplaywright and poet.,for his outstanding plays that have been performed in theatres around the world
Have you ever been to a theatre to see a play?
I doubt it
You are more likely to go to a beer parlour to eat isi ewu

Stick to what you know.
didn't you see where I countered the guy that he was into plays?

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by limcar: 4:07pm On Apr 08, 2023
pdppower:

I believe you know Soyinka completes all the literary genres: prose, drama and poetry while Achebe wrote only prose. He failed woefully at poetry.
I checked Wikipedia. He wrote poetry, short stories alongside prose. He is regarded as father of African literature

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:
Were said the respect he had for him is akin to the one he had for his father.. How respectable is a father that birthed and raised a fool like him.

Achebe was great. In fact, very great. But he couldn't achieve half of what Soyinka achieves in their line of business. Only an idiot would compare both of them. You find a match for WS when you see a prolific, successful and well know author who excels in writing drama, prose, Poetry, essays and theories. Achebe wrote only prose, the moment he dabbled into poetry, he flopped.

Stop beating around the bush. If you combine all Soyinka books together, they can still not compete with the master class, THINGS FALL APART.

Things Fall Apart has been translated into over fifty languages and read in over a hundred nations.

It is the most popular book ever written by an African author.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2023
chacoonder:
It is obvious Prof..Wole Soyinka is far greater to than Achebe.

Achebe's Things fall Apart is greater than all Soyinka books combined together.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 4:20pm On Apr 08, 2023
pdppower:

It is good to be jack of all trades , however it is better to be a master in one of them.

Wole Soyinka is jack of all trades in Literature. He wrote prose, drama and poetry. However none of his works can compete with the master class , THINGS FALL APART.

That is why Chinua Achebe is regarded as the father of African literature.

4 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 4:25pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
Achebe died an envious unfulfilled man and legend has it that envy for Wole Soyinka contributed to his death.

Why I love God is that he always make Yoruba triumph, we have bested the Ibos in all strata of achievement if we go head to head.

Below is Prof. Wole Soyinka telling the world how embarrassed he was on the kind of envy and hatred Achebe showed when he won the Nobel Laureate.

Soyinka is more of just a novel writer, he is an icon. A million Achebe can not measure up to him.

All the books written by Soyinka are inferior to the master class , Things Fall Apart.

Achebe is not a jack of all trades. Like William Shakespeare, he deliver master class in his area of specialization.

That is why he is the father of African literature.

The igbos have also produce a successor to Achebe in Chimamanda Adiche.

Can you confided in me the successor to Soyinka since you claim Yoruba are superior to igbos?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by JagabanBorgu: 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hedonini:
Of course. I lost respect for the old fool the moment I discerned that he was just another rodent in Tinubu's cookie room. The idiot whose voice of condemnation was very loud against the Jonathan administration somehow retreated into his shell and became deaf and dumb throughout Buhari's disastrous 8 years of sorrow.

Now after a sham election has supposedly produced a bloody thief and drug baron as president, the useless Soyinka has found his voice again, not in condemnation of the election or of the disreputable criminal that was dubiously pronounced winner, but against the people yearning for a change. Obedients are repugnant fascists and he is ready to do a debate with Datti, but he conveniently has nothing to say about INEC, Tinubu, and the APC. This is the final straw.
Whoever is not in support of ur disàstèr called Obi is never good in ur eyes.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by JagabanBorgu: 4:38pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hedonini:

Typical hypocrisy and deception that your people are known for. When important issues are at stake, you prefer to deflect attention from the real issue and rather focus on age. In a time of war, in a matter of life and death such as the situation Nigeria is in now, your concern is manners and niceties rather than confront the elephant in the room. You people can continue fooling yourselves.
Nigèria is not in a time of wàr, election is not an issûé of Iifè or dèàth, Obi has Ióst, deal with it.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by babtoundey(m): 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

Stop beating around the bush. If you combine all Soyinka books together, they can still not compete with the master class, THINGS FALL APART.

Things Fall Apart has been translated into over fifty languages and read in over a hundred nations.

It is the most popular book ever written by an African author.

What's the master class about "Things fall apart"? It was a master class and could not earn him Nobel prize till his death.
WS doesn't write for idiots. He wrote for people who are intellectually healthy. Any idiot can read and appreciate "Things fall apart". For you to read WS, you must be with your thinking cap.

Once again, Achebe is not a complete writer. He is just a fantastic novelist (storyteller) and nothing more. Soyinka is a writer in and out. So, comparing both men is stupid

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by babtoundey(m): 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2023
limcar:
fool, soyinka wrote mainly plays.

How old are you? Sorry, I should be asking what class are you. If you are old, you have brain, and you read books that count, you will not open mouth and say Soyinka write mainly plays.

WS is a known playwright, poet, novelist, theorist and essayist.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by babtoundey(m): 4:47pm On Apr 08, 2023
SamboAnguissa:

Shhhhh. Achebe achieved more than Soyinka. The Nobel Laureatte given to Soyinka was fake. It was given by the Lagos- Ibadan ewedu press. This internet age has exposed their lies.

It's always come to that. You deride what you can't achieve. Anyways, you too should have awarded Achebe Anambla-Oweli Nobel prize to feel great. Bitter goat!

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by babtoundey(m): 4:50pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

See your Ignorance in Full Display. embarassed

Chinua Achebe's THINGS FALL APART is Translated and read in 60 Nations across the World. shocked cool
Even Germans still Read the Book till Today. 🙂

His novel, Chike and the River, was read in Kenya, Uganda and many East African countries for Many years,
as their Basic School Supplementary book.

He is BIGGER than Soyinka, Plz. smiley

That "things apart" could not earn him a Nobel prize". Choke on that.

That a book had market success doesn't mean it's has artistic value. Many great books were not even known or published. So, who is ignorant?

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by emerged01(m): 4:50pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:

Below is Prof. Wole Soyinka openly criticizing the Buhari government and even joined in the call for his impeachment but you believe your own lies that he was inactive.
U get time replying those impotent coccks

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by babtoundey(m): 5:10pm On Apr 08, 2023
MikeofAfrica:

All the books written by Soyinka are inferior to the master class , Things Fall Apart.

Achebe is not a jack of all trades. Like William Shakespeare, he deliver master class in his area of specialization.

That is why he is the father of African literature.

The igbos have also produce a successor to Achebe in Chimamanda Adiche.

Can you confided in me the successor to Soyinka since you claim Yoruba are superior to igbos?

Lol. William Shakespeare wrote poems and plays. He limited himself to writing those two because he had no intention of publishing his works. He wrote mainly for the stage.

Wole Soyinka is a better and a more successful writer.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 5:12pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey
post=122380583:

What's the master class about "Things fall apart"? It was a master class and could not earn him Nobel prize till his death.
WS doesn't write for idiots. He wrote for people who are intellectually healthy. Any idiot can read and appreciate "Things fall apart". For you to read WS, you must be with your thinking cap.

Once again, Achebe is not a complete writer. He is just a fantastic novelist (storyteller) and nothing more. Soyinka is a writer in and out. So, comparing both men is stupid

Nobel Prize in Literature is not a criteria for knowing the best authors. The award is gotten through lobby hence some authors who know their worth are denied the award because they refused to play ball.

James Joyce is regarded as one of the greatest English author. He was denied the Nobel Prize while some inferior authors of his time were given the award.

Japanese Haruki Murakami and Kenya Ngugi Thiongo we're denied the Nobel prize for not bowing to the western culture. That is one of the reasons, Chinua Achebe was also denied the award.

Things Fall Apart has been translated to over 50 languages. It is the most popular book ever written by an African author. The methodology of the book is studied as a course in Western Universities. That is what we call master class.

I am not sure if any of Soyinka has been translated to more than five languages.

Achebe is the father of African literature. He rejected the national award under Obasanjo because he was not happy with the situation of Nigeria. That was an award Soyinka and other authors were desperate to get.

That is to tell you that Achebe can never compromise his principles to get a Nobel prize. He value his Integrity more than any award.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:

Lol. William Shakespeare wrote poems and plays. He limited himself to writing those two because he had no intention of publishing his works. He wrote mainly for the stage.

Wole Soyinka is a better and a more successful writer.

Things Fall Apart has been translated into over 50 languages and studied as a course in Western Universities.

Please can you tell me any of Wole Soyinka's book that has been translated into at least 10 languages ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MikeofAfrica: 5:25pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:

That "things apart" could not earn him a Nobel prize". Choke on that.

That a book had market success doesn't mean it's has artistic value. Many great books were not even known or published. So, who is ignorant?

Soyinka got the Nobel prize through the lobby of IBB Government.

If Achebe has bow to IBB, he would have also lobby for him to get the Nobel prize.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Raskimonojendor: 5:28pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:
Were said the respect he had for him is akin to the one he had for his father.. How respectable is a father that birthed and raised a fool like him.

Achebe was great. In fact, very great. But he couldn't achieve half of what Soyinka achieves in their line of business. Only an idiot would compare both of them. You find a match for WS when you see a prolific, successful and well know author who excels in writing drama, prose, Poetry, essays and theories. Achebe wrote only prose, the moment he dabbled into poetry, he flopped.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Olufemi Olu-kayode Reacts To Abba Kyari's Appointment As Buhari's Chief Of Staff / Lagos Police Inspect Markets And Buses To Ensure Compliance With LASG Directives / Bolu Okupe, Doyin Okupe's Hot Son, A Manchester Based Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.