Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was (51110 Views)

Charly Boy Wishes Buhari A Happy 76th Birthday. See How (Photos) / Charly Boy Mocks Rochas Okorocha: 'No Go Hang Yourself' / Charly Boy Joins Shiites' Protest In Abuja(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by SMUAG(m): 6:49pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

*Derailing of Trains
*Owo Massacre of Christians
*Deborah Samuel's painful murder
*ASUU Eight months Strike
*Naira Redesign wahala
*Fake Bishops
*MC Oluomo's threats to Igbos
*Presidential Election
*Governorship Election

Wole Soyinka KEPT MUTE in ALL these grave Issues ravaging Nigeria, undecided

Only to wake up and Focus his energy on Datti/LP/. embarassed

Is this NOT madness, Honestly? 😕

Strong madness!!!
That conning prof is heavily part of those milking this country dry. Very foolish prof..

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by DeepSight(m): 6:50pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

The truth is literature is not commercial writing otherwise James Hadley Chase and Jackie Collins would win Nobel prizes

Great point. I love this point.

Things Fall Apart was nothing spectacular literally.

Oh no no no - now this here is nothing but literary blasphemy. Things Fall Apart is a classic. Beyond being as beautifully written as Elechi Amadi's "The Concubine" - it dwells on a bigger subject - the invasion of Africa by the whiteman.

Please do not say things which are simply abominations in the world of literature. That book is a classic.

Soyinka wrote plays. He is a playwright like Shakespeare as well as a poet. He is not primarily a novelist. His plays have been performed at the Natiional Theatre in London. Literature is not just about novels

WS is a great writer and beyond that a famous activist who ranks with the likes of Fela Kuti, Bob Marley, and may even approach the level of respectability of a Martin Luther King or a Mandela. I simply love the man. He is a titan of a man, and exudes natural greatness.

However I am sincere when I say I struggle to find which specific work of his is a true classic. Don't get me wrong - his works are intellectual. But his choice of words is so much on the complex side that you find it hard to find flow and beauty therein. The sort of flow that a George Orwell accomplished with an "Animal Farm." And no, I don't think he wrote anything as deep and profound as Things Fall Apart - although I must hasten to add that the Nobel is given for a body of work and not a single work.

Word of advice: To celebrate WS, you dont need to denigrate Achebe (or vice versa) or call Things fall Apart a "secondary school" level book. The book is a classic - a work of art - and also a significant one on a significant subject. Truth is both are great writers.

So.if you want to talk Nobel Prize in literature for the last 20 years do not look for the author of Harry Potter,Robert Ludlum ,Jackie Collins etc
Look for INTELLECTUAL works

Gbam. Well said again.

Ben Okri,Christopher Okigbo and many other Nigerians have published much greater works than Achebe who wrote for children

It is true that there are many Nigerian writers who have put out great works which compare well to those of Achebe and WS. I used to be a lover of Ben Okri in particular but found that his style of prose which borders on philosophical and fantastical poetry easily wearies the reader.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by victorv12(m): 6:51pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Ur head nor Correct, Sir. 😕

Justice Oputa, of the Famous Oputa Panel that invited IBB, Gani Fawehinmi,etc? shocked

U think we are talking about Festus Keyamo?

U Smoke Ciga this Morning? 😏

Bro, Òputa Panel is just an ordinary panel. Nothing more!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Fearyourcreator: 6:51pm On Apr 08, 2023
olril17:

Legendhero. Just an example.
grin
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by LegendHero(m): 6:51pm On Apr 08, 2023
blacksam01:

did soyinka win the "bookerman prize"..?..

both Achebe and chimamanda won it

Lol 😂

You’re comparing that nonsense to Nobel laureate?

You probably don’t know what you’re saying.

It’s just like using someone that won FA cup to compare those that win champions league in European football.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by sulaak(m): 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
People should see the hypocrisy of the Ibo people.

They will lie that they are supporting Obi not because of tribe but yet anytime a Yoruba man speak against their candidate, they start accusing the person of tribalism and etc.

Why did Charley boy compare Soyinka to Achebe if not for tribalism? The hateful Chimamanda also mentioned he supported Obi because he is Ibo but if a Yoruba man says that we won’t hear word online again.

In all this, I’ve not seen the useless Falz and Marcaroni come out to condemn this assault on our living legend, but the useless guys will be online to cry about tribalism when a Yoruba celeb give it to these guys hot.

The reason why Falz and Macaroni is because the quality of Yoruba's political leaders is shockingly poor, Tinubu lead APC will be the destruction of the Yoruba race if we are not care.

Soyinka will always be Nigeria's hero and intellectual. Soyinka condemned Tinubu and Atiku and also condemned the ethnic attacks in Lagos state but the selected reasoning of the Igbo are only interested in looking for a Yoruba scapegoat for the loss or thief to Tinubu and APC.

7 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Vinnie2000(m): 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2023
KosiGee:

That is not true. I supported Obi but I found the attack on Soyinka shocking and highly disrespectful

U lack Courage of Conviction! embarassed

Soyinka was Blasting Jonathan/PDP severally and even Called Patience Jonathan a Hippotamus.
But with Issues Ravaging Nigeria since Jan 1st, 2023, He was MUTE. 😒

He did NOT criticize the FAILED APC govt.
Only to Wake up, open his Mouth to focus his Attack on ONLY Datti/LP.

Does this Make any Good sense? undecided 😏
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by IJEYdiamond(f): 6:52pm On Apr 08, 2023
Na respect kee this country...old Zombies are there stealing Nigerian money and some are stewing nonsense

And some Goats are talking about respect.. The elders should continue to thief.... its well with those that respect their elders who are political thieves..

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by brightDdon(m): 6:53pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hedonini:
Of course. I lost respect for the old fool the moment I discerned that he was just another rodent in Tinubu's cookie room. The idiot whose voice of condemnation was very loud against the Jonathan administration somehow retreated into his shell and became deaf and dumb throughout Buhari's disastrous 8 years of sorrow.

Now after a sham election has supposedly produced a bloody thief and drug baron as president, the useless Soyinka has found his voice again, not in condemnation of the election or of the disreputable criminal that was dubiously pronounced winner, but against the people yearning for a change. Obedients are repugnant fascists and he is ready to do a debate with Datti, but he conveniently has nothing to say about INEC, Tinubu, and the APC. This is the final straw.

I used to have a lot of respect for this man Soyinka,

In my wildest imagination i will never think he'll bring himself this low talking without control like a bus conductor.

See him replying and sending messages even on 2go.

Mumu cultist of an old idiot of man.

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by BreconHills(m): 6:53pm On Apr 08, 2023
How lettered is Charlie Boy? Is he a literary critic? Is he on the Nobel committee or the Academy?

Everyone can have their say but when posters elevate certain opinions to expert opinion, I am inclined to believe that the poster is simply bored and the mods are inebriated.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Ojukwubucket(m): 6:55pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
Achebe died an envious unfulfilled man and legend has it that envy for Wole Soyinka contributed to his death.

Why I love God is that he always make Yoruba triumph, we have bested the Ibos in all strata of achievement if we go head to head.

Below is Prof. Wole Soyinka telling the world how embarrassed he was on the kind of envy and hatred Achebe showed when he won the Nobel Laureate.

Soyinka is more of just a novel writer, he is an icon. A million Achebe can not measure up to him.

The Igbo have always dusted you in everything despite all the advantages you have over them.
You first had contact with the whites long before Igbos did..
You have had Lagos as the capital of Nigeria which attracted both government and private investments..No Igbo state have ever had that..
Igbos fought the civil war and lost everything, literally starting from the scratch..
Lagos today is the center of commerce and investment which have attracted both locals and foreigners. You enjoy indigenous consideration first in employment before any others which allows you guys to occupy top posts in almost all companies.
You have had both military and civilian presidents for mores years than the Igbos..
But in all these advantages and luck you have had, the Igbos have gone toe to toe with you guys more than any other tribe in Nigeria. Reason why you hate and envy us so much..

On a level playing ground, u know the Igbo will dust your asz hands down..
I say this with all confidence

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Major7: 6:55pm On Apr 08, 2023
When are we all going to shun tribalism and embrace peace? It's exhausting and draining.

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by danvon(m): 6:56pm On Apr 08, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

But when the confrats sang "e dey shake" u didn't know that then abi? Smh
I have been saying that long before the elections even began

It's amazing how the man responsible for the deaths of many youths in this nation managed to live to a ripe old age to add insult to injury he even feels qualified to dictate our politics direction.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Creeper: 6:57pm On Apr 08, 2023
blacksam01:

did soyinka win the "bookerman prize"..?..

both Achebe and chimamanda won it

It’s ‘Man Booker Prize’ not “Bookerman Prize”.

And Achebe and Ben Okri are the two Nigerians who have won the award.

Chimamanda has NEVER won any prestigious award in literature.

BTW, the ultimate prize in literature is the Nobel Prize Laureate and only Prof. Wole Soyinka has won it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Shattuck(m): 6:57pm On Apr 08, 2023
Odogwuzack:
Lol you know how terrible a movement is when people like Charly boy are the ones spearheading it.
Charley boy is not spaerheading anything I voted for obi and I am not Igbo, it wasn't because of Charley boy, even though I condemn his attack on Soyinka I believe everyone has the right to air their thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by kokomilala(m): 6:59pm On Apr 08, 2023
Obidients, Neo-Obidients And Igbos, A New Tarzanizm

Before the presidential election, I opined here that Obidients or whatever they call themselves were fascist narcissists. Once you don't align with their vaporous and oft illusory Obi presidency, you become an easy target for their boisterous armies of virtual warriors. I said it here before WS used the fascist expression about them.

Now, the elections have birthed a new breed of Obidients, and they've resorted to a new tarzanizm. If it's not Obi, or better still, if you speak against Obi or the Labour party, you, by default, draw a line of war between yourself and his legions of deluded followers.

Politics and elections are a plurality duo. Divergence of opinions, dissent and views different from the mainstream must be entertained and accommodated.

Obidients adopt this neo- tarzanizm every time their principal, Peter Obi, comes under the spotlight, anytime he comes under scrutiny

There's no place for such in the politics of the 21st century- and certainly, that of Nigeria, no less.

6 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by oyin44: 6:59pm On Apr 08, 2023
Mynd44
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mukina2
Dominique

Rule2..
deliberately provoking a Nairalander

Insulting and bullying. .rule2

Urchinpainer:

Fool, he didn't Critize Obi. Everything in your head is Obi! Fuckuing retard!
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by shereef19: 7:00pm On Apr 08, 2023
Am not disappointed
Igbo have no respect for dia father so even God no regards.. So u can say worst.

Hedonini:
Of course. I lost respect for the old fool the moment I discerned that he was just another rodent in Tinubu's cookie room. The idiot whose voice of condemnation was very loud against the Jonathan administration somehow retreated into his shell and became deaf and dumb throughout Buhari's disastrous 8 years of sorrow.

Now after a sham election has supposedly produced a bloody thief and drug baron as president, the useless Soyinka has found his voice again, not in condemnation of the election or of the disreputable criminal that was dubiously pronounced winner, but against the people yearning for a change. Obedients are repugnant fascists and he is ready to do a debate with Datti, but he conveniently has nothing to say about INEC, Tinubu, and the APC. This is the final straw.

8 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
Achebe died an envious unfulfilled man and legend has it that envy for Wole Soyinka contributed to his death.

Why I love God is that he always make Yoruba triumph, we have bested the Ibos in all strata of achievement if we go head to head.

Below is Prof. Wole Soyinka telling the world how embarrassed he was on the kind of envy and hatred Achebe showed when he won the Nobel Laureate.

Soyinka is more of just a novel writer, he is an icon. A million Achebe can not measure up to him.

You don't have to go head to head with the Igbo you mediocre - go head to head with the world. Can't you conquer the world ?

Come on man

BlackMan and myopia .....
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Kukutenla: 7:03pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
People should see the hypocrisy of the Ibo people.

They will lie that they are supporting Obi not because of tribe but yet anytime a Yoruba man speak against their candidate, they start accusing the person of tribalism and etc.

Why did Charley boy compare Soyinka to Achebe if not for tribalism? The hateful Chimamanda also mentioned he supported Obi because he is Ibo but if a Yoruba man says that we won’t hear word online again.

In all this, I’ve not seen the useless Falz and Marcaroni come out to condemn this assault on our living legend, but the useless guys will be online to cry about tribalism when a Yoruba celeb give it to these guys hot.
Hypocrites like you claim GRV, great grandson of the second indigenous Yoruba lawyer and judge in history is not Yoruba enough.
But jump to "defend" Yoruba when the political tide is in your favour.
You're only deceiving yourself.

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by fredoooooo: 7:03pm On Apr 08, 2023
Of course , he can't match Soyinka Nobel

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by LegendHero(m): 7:04pm On Apr 08, 2023
Kukutenla:

Hypocrites like you claim GRV, great grandson of the second indigenous Yoruba lawyer and judge in history is not Yoruba enough.
But jump to "defend" Yoruba when the political tide is in your favour.
You're only deceiving yourself.

Gbarebo said himself that he dosen’t “think” Yoruba, how is that my fault?

When next you want to do election in Anambra, just elect someone that dosen’t “think” Igbo and stop disturbing us.

We have nations with traitors, that you have a blood does not mean you can’t betray your people.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Ted4real: 7:05pm On Apr 08, 2023
He is just desplaying his true Yoruba spots ?

Lollipop Professor??
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Smoothcom: 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hedonini:

Na stupid man
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by IamtheTruth1(m): 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:

Even if you prefer Soyinka. Have little respect for the dead na. Someone that was the one of best African novelist you said he died envious?

Before you mention me, I know Soyinka won THE noble price in 86. He is a genius also.

But we can actually respect everyone irrespective of their tribe abeg.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Vinnie2000(m): 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2023
Major7:
When are we all going to shun tribalism and embrace peace? It's exhausting and draining.

We will NOT, Oga. sad

The Tribalism u see in Nigeria and Nairaland is caused by none other, than the Demonic APC party. undecided

During Jonathan's Era, there was nothing like Tribal Slurs/Fights on our social media spaces. 😒

After 2015, When Buhari FAILED WOEFULLY, he was Attacked and APC goons on Nairaland defended him.
The Defenders are from South West.
Out of Anger, Attackers called them names and they too, called the attackers names. 😐

Dat's the Genesis of TRIBALISM. embarassed

Pure Fallout from APC Misrule. sad

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by jaxxy(m): 7:10pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Boss, We will NOT Leave any Baga Alone. angry

People like Soyinka and Several Others who Criticized, Blasted and Demonized PDP/Jonathan's Govt
Through the media are now MUTE or Secretly supporting the Evil/Failure APC Party. embarassed sad

Once True Nigerians Remind them off their DoubleTongues/Hypocrisy, we are Tagged Igbos/IPOB. 😒

Is this Fair? undecided

I agree with u completely bt let's the criticism be without personal insults as much as possible.

I know the Hypocrites insulted Jonathan and his wife and pdp. just be calming down. Lol

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by chiboycue: 7:11pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:

Source: https://twitter.com/areafada1/status/1644585830722183169?s=46&t=oGAxjhiGeufNKlYA6fDTyA

When it comes to the art of literary writing and story telling, two names stand out, Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe . These two are up there in the world as one of the best Nigerian  Writers and are also respected and recognized.

Achebe was called the father of modern African writer, because “A Man Of The People” by Achebe is a prophetic novel that reveals the future of the Nigerian politics. A great American novelist, Margaret Atwood called Achebe “A magical writer” that carried readers along in his novel “Things Fall Apart” that mother, father, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, the rich and the poor are all involved in the novel. However, Achebe wrote 78 books while Soyinka has written 106 books.

Achebe and Soyinka are great talented writers in African literature. Achebe was a good story teller in prose while Soyinka is very good at play and poem (Drama & Poetry). Achebe was a good novelist, (prose). Soyinka is a good playwright (drama). Both of them are good writers in different genres of literature but in term of novel, Chinua Achebe was better than Wole Soyinka. And in term of play and poem, Soyinka is better than Achebe.

Culled from https://ng.opera.news/ng/en/entertainment/da3f63085f3eddd1b16a9149273c070e

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Shikena(m): 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:

Lol 😂

You’re comparing that nonsense to Nobel laureate?

You probably don’t know what you’re saying.

It’s just like using someone that won FA cup to compare those that win champions league in European football.

They did not even win it, they got shortlisted.

6 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Hawkler: 7:12pm On Apr 08, 2023
Legitisreal:
shut up

Ojukwu brought the death of 3million igbos and ran away cos he had no plan

Sokinya was in biafra risking his life to get solution for the run away ikemba

Today ojuku is now hero birthing esn and ipob that have killed more than cultists
Ojukwu is a miserable pushover, after brainwashing his own people to die like a bird. A person you can't stand to finish what he started, even an hen will not flew & leave her chicks behind whenever she sees the hawk coming, she defense like a martyr.

6 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Vinnie2000(m): 7:13pm On Apr 08, 2023
jaxxy:

I agree with u completely bt let's the criticism be without personal insults as much as possible.

I know the Hypocrites insulted Jonathan and his wife and pdp. just be calming down. Lol

Haba Mana.

It's not that Easy na. cheesy
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by KosiGee(m): 7:13pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

[/b]
U lack Courage of Conviction! embarassed

Soyinka was Blasting Jonathan/PDP severally and even Called Patience Jonathan a Hippotamus.
But with Issues Ravaging Nigeria since Jan 1st, 2023, He was MUTE. 😒

He did NOT criticize the FAILED APC govt.
Only to Wake up, open his Mouth to focus his Attack on ONLY Datti/LP.

Does this Make any Good sense? undecided 😏

Charley boy is not wise. If he was, he shouldn’t have brought Achebe into his grievance with Soyinka. Soyinka is human and everyone can be criticised, go back and read Charley Boy’s post. That wasn’t a criticism. Achebe would find his words repulsive and disrespectful.

Charley Boy should leave Achebe alone and fight his demons.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Hadiza Abubakar Wins Most Valuable Governor's Wife Award (Photos) / Adams Oshiomhole Tweets On Peace Of Mind / Lagos Killer Squad Names Bode George As Sponsor

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.