Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. (5400 Views)

PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 / Fact Check: Did Wole Soyinka Condemned Pyrate For Their Tinubu Chants? / Amotekun: Don’t Betray South-west, Ooni Tells Personnel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Omoluabi16(m): 9:10pm On Apr 09, 2023
As a yoruba man, you owe it to your unborn generation to tell them the truth about youruba heroes and their accomplishment. I can't wrap my head around this obsession. Why are some of you so bent on rewriting history and painting it with falsehood? One slowpoke even said it was IBB that lobbied for that award. Why must your greatness be based on the denigration of another?
BTW this award making y'all go mad, who e help self? There been like a 100 other winners, but the world is still self destructing with all the wars and poverty.

4 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Minjim: 9:11pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Oga rest.

Debunk it.

No time

I should debunk nonessential

These Obituaries have finally lost it.

The same way you people claimed Buhari was a clone and i should debunk that one too ,ba?

2 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:12pm On Apr 09, 2023
Minjim:

I should debunk nonessential

These Obituaries have finally lost it.

The same way you people claimed Buhari was a clone and i should debunk that one too ,ba?

Bro leave that story. It is stale.

Debunk this
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Minjim: 9:19pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Lol!

Better read the history of eiye bucanneer and aiyes.

Better be informed.

Why do they do meetings at night

Knowledge is far from you.

Did you think Prof. Wole Soyinka single-handedly founded the pirate fraternity?

What role did Sylvanus Egbuche, Pius Olehi, AIG Imokhuede and Ralph Okwara played.

Go and read deeply on this. Lemme help you, there was a thread on it some years ago on Nairaland

https://www.nairaland.com/2002310/how-prof-wole-soyinka-formed

I'm sure you were still in secondary school when we had this debate

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Minjim: 9:20pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Bro leave that story. It is stale.

Debunk this

There you have it!

2 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:21pm On Apr 09, 2023
Minjim:

What role did Sylvanus Egbuche, Pius Olehi, AIG Imokhuede and Ralph Okwara played.

Go and read deeply on this. Lemme help you, there was a thread on it some years ago on Nairaland

He spearheaded it.

Oga you no get point. He never denied it. Stfu
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:21pm On Apr 09, 2023
Minjim:

There you have it!

Carry your pussy dog comot here
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Minjim: 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

He spearheaded it.

Oga you no get point. He never denied it. Stfu

Lol!

Typical Ipob behaviour

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by casdoruche: 9:29pm On Apr 09, 2023
Minjim:

Lol!

Typical Ipob behaviour

Mutula.

Na you first insult werey
Minjim:

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by casdoruche: 9:32pm On Apr 09, 2023
Nice read

Agbado camp always start a fire 🚒🔥🔥

Then they gaslight you

Blame you

F00ols

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Magnoliaa(f): 9:44pm On Apr 09, 2023
MrBiGGEST:
Òmò you guys are becoming very irritating this day's 😒

You have not seen anything.

Do not bring an ant-infested wood into your home and start complaining later.

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Babinski: 9:51pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
Please prof of history Help me

In 1986, when African writers decided to boycott the Nobel Prize for the apparent discrimination from the Royal Academy (up until then, no African was considered good enough for the prize), Soyinka showed up as a betrayer of the African collective cause and got the award

.....Soyinka might have a Nobel Prize, but that is not surely a comment on his social value as a writer. Even Abdulrazak Gurnah who was awarded the prize in 2021 said he thought it was a joke. Nobody knew him and he knew he did not deserve it.

In contrast, Ngugi wa Thiong'O has consistently been ignored by the Royal Academy, even though everyone in the literary field knows he is supposed to have long won it on merit. To put things in perspective, he taught Gurnah way back, and has taught many other greats

Ngugi's sin is that he would never bend to the Western ideologies, and he has canvassed on different occasions for African writers and indeed, writers from the Orient, to develop literature in their languages, instead of enriching metropolitan languages.

The West hates people like Ngugi, and can never reward them with their treasured literary prizes like the Nobel. To be an African writer deserving of the award, you have to have no hurtful opinion about the West. It is basically politics by the institutions of World Lit.
Achebe cut the perfect figure for the prize, and it was not surprising that he got it in 1986. Canonised writers like Achebe who took on Greene and Conrad could not have been rewarded for questioning the jaundiced representation of Africans in Western literature
https://twitter.com/onyeka_real/status/1644823054587944961?t=C8B9sK8aOooO7TUj0FTgQw&s=19

First, seeing the Twitter link is to the status of someone who had to either create a parody or an account using the name of Hundeyin speaks volumes about the credibility of such a person. Typically people like that in using their real identities have never been taken seriously and so have to adopt another's.

Secondly, I have gone through your piece and I am not surprised that there is no worthwhile source for any of the assertions and claims made against Soyinka. I searched the internet for any corroborating article on the alleged betrayal by Soyinka or any planned boycott of Nobel by African writers and found none except your Nairaland piece.

When Soyinka won the Nobel Prize, Achebe lauded Soyinka and stated that Soyinka was most eminently deserving of any prize. That is not the likely attitude that Achebe would display if Soyinka had been a betrayer as you claimed. Trying to paint Soyinka as a lackey of the West as a reason for winning the Nobel prize is puerile and laughable. There is no doubt that Soyinka is known as a critic who doesn't fear speaking against oppressors regardless of the colour of the foot that wears the boots. He has even been imprisoned for his stand against oppression.

There is no doubt that all these your diatribe against Soyinka is coming because of his recent opinions and statements against Obidients. I assume you are one of such Obidients who are so dyed in the wood in your ways that you abhor correction and any dissenting opinion. Anyone not toeing your line that speaks out must be cancelled and so I am not surprised about your poorly researched hack attempt at trying to damage the reputation and image of a literay icon like Wole Soyinka. Please find something else to say about Wole Soyinka instead of peddling falsehood.

https://www.thehistoryville.com/chinua-achebe/

https://saharareporters.com/2021/06/27/prizes-given-african-writers-not-write-african-language-says-kenyan-writer-ngugi-wa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Creeper: 9:52pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

So was Ngugi wa Thiong given the Nobel laureate prize for literature?

Remember his student was given.

Even Oscar award dey discriminate now tell me about those days.

Abeg

Ngugi writes in his native language and it’s difficult to access his works - unless they’re translated. He almost won it in 2019 (I think) and I believe he’ll still win it if he doesn’t die since he’s 84 or so now.

And Ngugi has more in common with Soyinka than he has with Achebe. He’s versatile: novels, poetry, prose and theatre. He’s an activist who has been jailed and has lived in exile. Achebe didn’t have these qualities.

Oscar is American-centric award and it isn’t the same as European standard for academic achievements. Americans think the world revolves around them and they tend to reward mediocrity from time to time - for publicity. Europeans don’t compromise on their standard when it comes to academic achievement - for publicity and emotional blackmail.

3 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Magnoliaa(f): 9:54pm On Apr 09, 2023
MrBiGGEST:
Òmò you guys are becoming very irritating this day's 😒

This is literally on the FP as at this night.

Every single rebuttal against Adichie has made front-page, from FFK's own to Alake's. And it's just one against Soyinka I've seen.

This is how you guys literally obfuscate facts to make it seem as if the other party are the ones doing overwhelmingly much, meanwhile the other guys are still going over and far beyond, creating multiple threads and stuff about CNA.

If at all you want to condemn any disrespect, then condemn BOTH writers being attacked. But you not saying anything concerning the other, while in your bias, you wish WS to be left alone, just shows you to be an unserious hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by NtiObaEneke(f): 10:29pm On Apr 09, 2023
haffaze777:
Thread for nattering nitwits?
Indeed, it is
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by casdoruche: 11:04pm On Apr 09, 2023
NtiObaEneke:

Indeed, it is

And you are here.

U well so
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by casdoruche: 11:05pm On Apr 09, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Every single rebuttal against Adichie has made front-page, from FFK's own to Alake's. And it's just one against Soyinka I've seen.

This is how you guys literally obfuscate facts to make it seem as if the other party are the ones doing overwhelmingly much, meanwhile the other guys are still going over and far beyond, creating multiple threads and stuff about CNA.

If at all you want to condemn any disrespect, then condemn BOTH writers being attacked. But you not saying anything concerning the other, while in your bias, you wish WS to be left alone, just shows you to be an unserious hypocrite.

Adichie as been a subject of attack seun on this forum.

This issue with Wole Soyinka Dem dey pet am
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by NtiObaEneke(f): 11:09pm On Apr 09, 2023
The ignorance being displayed on this thread is so laughable, the OP is not worthy of serious discourse.

Nattering nitwits. Rabid, parochial minds of easy excitation. Idle complainers. Prof described these lots perfectly and this thread is another testament to the accuracy.

4 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Softmirror: 11:26pm On Apr 09, 2023
LegendHero:
Lol this Hundeyin guy agin.

Go and listen to Prof. Wole Soyinka speech at the Nobel Prize, his theme speech was about black people and their pains.

It’s only the headless mob that will take you serious. Hundeyin is also a classless liar, Desmond Tutu already got the Nobel peace prize in 1984/85, a year before Soyinka, so how exactly did the Nobel ignore blacks?

DON'T MIND THE ILLITERATE.

3 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Softmirror: 11:28pm On Apr 09, 2023
Magnoliaa:

YOU LIKE MAKING TOO MUCH UNNECESSARY NOISE. WHY?!
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by MetaPhysical: 11:38pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

In 1986, when African writers decided to boycott the Nobel Prize for the apparent discrimination from the Royal Academy (up until then, no African was considered good enough for the prize), Soyinka showed up as a betrayer of the African collective cause and got the award

.....Soyinka might have a Nobel Prize, but that is not surely a comment on his social value as a writer. Even Abdulrazak Gurnah who was awarded the prize in 2021 said he thought it was a joke. Nobody knew him and he knew he did not deserve it.

In contrast, Ngugi wa Thiong'O has consistently been ignored by the Royal Academy, even though everyone in the literary field knows he is supposed to have long won it on merit. To put things in perspective, he taught Gurnah way back, and has taught many other greats

Ngugi's sin is that he would never bend to the Western ideologies, and he has canvassed on different occasions for African writers and indeed, writers from the Orient, to develop literature in their languages, instead of enriching metropolitan languages.

The West hates people like Ngugi, and can never reward them with their treasured literary prizes like the Nobel. To be an African writer deserving of the award, you have to have no hurtful opinion about the West. It is basically politics by the institutions of World Lit.
Achebe cut the perfect figure for the prize, and it was not surprising that he got it in 1986. Canonised writers like Achebe who took on Greene and Conrad could not have been rewarded for questioning the jaundiced representation of Africans in Western literature
https://twitter.com/onyeka_real/status/1644823054587944961?t=C8B9sK8aOooO7TUj0FTgQw&s=19

The ibo social perspective is always about betrayal. You measure social attainments on basis of betrayal. You should be called the "victimized tribe" to differentiate you from other people that respond to competition and strive for glory.

3 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Ghezo: 11:38pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Right now Wole Soyinka is worth less than the splatter of turd encrusted around a dog's anus

So no one cares about this, either way...find something better to do with your time

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Raskimonojendor: 11:44pm On Apr 09, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Bring up rebuttals.

Not emotions.

Good bye.

I need clarifications too

Your prof which class him use graduate.

Obi is second class
Obi is 3rd class after spending 12 years studying Philosophy. A 4 year course.

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Comelysync: 12:19am On Apr 10, 2023
Babinski:

First, seeing the Twitter link is to the status of someone who had to either create a parody or an account using the name of Hundeyin speaks volumes about the credibility of such a person. Typically people like that in using their real identities have never been taken seriously and so have to adopt another's.

Secondly, I have gone through your piece and I am not surprised that there is no worthwhile source for any of the assertions and claims made against Soyinka. I searched the internet for any corroborating article on the alleged betrayal by Soyinka or any planned boycott of Nobel by African writers and found none except your Nairaland piece.

When Soyinka won the Nobel Prize, Achebe lauded Soyinka and stated that Soyinka was most eminently deserving of any prize. That is not the likely attitude that Achebe would display if Soyinka had been a betrayer as you claimed. Trying to paint Soyinka as a lackey of the West as a reason for winning the Nobel prize is puerile and laughable. There is no doubt that Soyinka is known as a critic who doesn't fear speaking against oppressors regardless of the colour of the foot that wears the boots. He has even been imprisoned for his stand against oppression.

There is no doubt that all these your diatribe against Soyinka is coming because of his recent opinions and statements against Obidients. I assume you are one of such Obidients who are so dyed in the wood in your ways that you abhor correction and any dissenting opinion. Anyone not toeing your line that speaks out must be cancelled and so I am not surprised about your poorly researched hack attempt at trying to damage the reputation and image of a literay icon like Wole Soyinka. Please find something else to say about Wole Soyinka instead of peddling falsehood.

https://www.thehistoryville.com/chinua-achebe/

https://saharareporters.com/2021/06/27/prizes-given-african-writers-not-write-african-language-says-kenyan-writer-ngugi-wa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka
the op does not even know how to lie well, all this obidient are making some of us neutral tummy to crawl, Wole Soyinka is not The first African to win the Nobel laureate in literature, it's was Albert Camus an Algerian, so when did African writers boycott the Nobel.. And how can someone boycott what you didn't participate in, it's not an organize competition therefore no one contests for the Nobel, it's given by the Nobel committee for people that are alive and did something exceptional in their fields simple, Obidient will not see where the Prof condemn threat to non indigenous voters, the Prof even said the election was not perfect there are rooms for improvement, Obidients will not see or hear the part the prof said he has 2hours talk with Tinubu not to contest and give younger ones a chance, told Atiku when he came for endorsement that he won't because he is too Old, he never said he told Obi not to contest because he was way more younger, but this lots calling themselves obidients attack anyone not sharing their point of views, any group of people or movement doing that has just one word to describe them "FASCIST" QED.

4 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by BastadThiefnubu: 2:01am On Apr 10, 2023
haffaze777:
Thread for nattering nitwits?
The ugly useless two faced, treacherous, idiotic, stomach infrstructure driven, shameless cultist has been exposed.
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by alcuin(m): 4:49am On Apr 10, 2023
Christian36:
Abeg name what so special about Soyinka apart from winning noble prize. He won it once while Chimamanda won it thrice and Igbos are not using her to insult others. Civilization is far from some of you.

Where did Chimamanda win it thrice?

3 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by HilcomTech(m): 5:57am On Apr 10, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Bring up rebuttals.

Not emotions.

Good bye.

I need clarifications too

Your prof which class him use graduate.

Obi is second class

Sore losers
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Christian36: 7:24am On Apr 10, 2023
alcuin:

Where did Chimamanda win it thrice?

I mean he won similar prize thrice
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Magnoliaa(f): 8:16am On Apr 10, 2023
Comelysync:
the op does not even know how to lie well, all this obidient are making some of us neutral tummy to crawl

You better bring out the corn that is in your back pocket.

Neutral, my ass. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by haffaze777(m): 8:41am On Apr 10, 2023
BastadThiefnubu:
The ugly useless two faced, treacherous, idiotic, stomach infrstructure driven, shameless cultist has been exposed.

Stop crying
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by olisaEze(m): 8:59am On Apr 10, 2023
Christistruth03:
David Hundeyin everything you wrote is wicked Malicious Trash !!
No wonder Oxford University exposed you as a complete Academic Fraud
Agreed he may have gotten the Nobel Prize before you were born but Can’t you do Simple Research

The Purpose of Education is to arrive at Truth
and not to turn People into lying deceivers with no regard for decency or Conscience

With People desperate for undeserved attention Like you no wonder the country is full of all sorts of Academic Fraudsters !

Repent !
have a nice Easter

That account is a parody of David Hundeyin’s account, hence the 'Stan' appendage. If you had read and assimilated without letting your emotions becloud your judgement, you’d have noticed that.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ibori's Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison / Do You Have Personal Stories Of How The Nigerian Police Ever Helped You Out? / #FreeEse: Sen. Ben Bruce Blasts IGP For Saying Only Emir Of Kano Can Free Ese..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.