Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,595 members, 7,820,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. (5431 Views)

PEPT: Why Did Wole Olanipekun Ignore Osun Ruling To Quote Shagari Ruling Of 1979 / Fact Check: Did Wole Soyinka Condemned Pyrate For Their Tinubu Chants? / Amotekun: Don’t Betray South-west, Ooni Tells Personnel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Christistruth03: 9:24am On Apr 10, 2023
olisaEze:

That account is a parody of David Hundeyin’s account, hence the 'Stan' appendage. If you had read and assimilated without letting your emotions becloud your judgement, you’d have noticed that.

It still needs a good response

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Comelysync: 9:27am On Apr 10, 2023
Magnoliaa:

You better bring out the corn that is in your back pocket.

Neutral, my ass. 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
not only corn, you don't like Cassava and bitter leave... bunch of fascists lots... Everyone not with them must be against them... No one is free to have a contrary opinion.

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by casdoruche: 9:46am On Apr 10, 2023
No time. He joined seun kuti to insult us.

Now let me remind you that Wole Soyinka has been disrespecting young people

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Putindbutt: 10:03am On Apr 10, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

A lot.

Many Russians and Germans reject it
Why are ibos then having seizures over the same award?. Anything you aren't good enough to get, you either try pulling it down or destroying it. You people are so unfortunate.

4 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Harcom: 10:03am On Apr 10, 2023
MP3GAGAdotCOM:
Where is wOle soyinka right now?
Okonkwo Ikenna Ernest,desist from your tribal bigotry or DSS will be on your watch.I wonder how Nairaland mod allow this on the platform.MOD pls do the needful and get rid of this nigga on the platform.
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Magnoliaa(f): 12:42pm On Apr 10, 2023
Comelysync:
not only corn, you don't like Cassava and bitter leave... bunch of fascists lots... Everyone not with them must be against them... No one is free to have a contrary opinion.

Cry harder. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Just chop your corn with pride 😘.
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by omohayek: 12:58pm On Apr 10, 2023
nairalanda1:

Good points, but to be frank, Achebe was very talented enough to win it.

He even came close in 2000, but lost to a relatively little known Chinese author. (Not hating, but Achebe should have won it).

To be frank the Nobel Prize for lit is hit and run. (One year they even gave the singer Bob Dylan. Someone on the prize comittee was living his youth again, lol).

Chiamanda might win it in due time tho.
I very much doubt that. As a stylist she hardly holds a candle to the likes of Kazuo Ishiguro, Marlon James, Cormac McCarthy, Karl Ove Knausgaard and many other writers who are currently active, and I say this having read both "Americanah" and "Half of a Yellow Sun". To be honest, Teju Cole is a better writer than she is, even if he doesn't get anywhere near as much public attention (largely because he doesn't cultivate such attention by pretending to be a rights-activist while actually being a tribal champion).

6 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by MP3GAGAdotCOM(f): 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2023
Harcom:
Okonkwo Ikenna Ernest,desist from your tribal bigotry or DSS will be on your watch.I wonder how Nairaland mod allow this on the platform.MOD pls do the needful and get rid of this nigga on the platform.
You and your useless kinsmen are all foolish and useless angry

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by grandstar(m): 1:30am On Apr 11, 2023
Yugoslavia247

Had Chinua Achebe won the Nobel Prize in 1986, this inquisition you're performing on Wole Soyinka would be replaced with congratulatory messages for Mr Achebe.

This is tribalism at its crudest state.

Has Wole Soyinka done you any bad? Was he not imprisoned for Biafra? You're just pissed that Chinua Achebe was not accorded the highest literature prize.

If you care so much about these prizes, then good money needs to be spent on developing tomorrows champions in schools. There are so many Wole Soyinka's and Achebe's dying somewhere, never to make a mark, or even to be sniffed.

3 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Gabriel004: 1:50am On Apr 11, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Abi. Same way Lugard is British pride.

Sacrificing Africans for British progress
Show us the spot he sacrificed your nonentity father.
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Gabriel004: 1:55am On Apr 11, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Bro don't bamboozle me.

I am not an illiterate.

I said rebuff. Don't quote random website.

You are not an ilitetrate but a ting like one.
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by lexy2014: 4:09am On Apr 11, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Oga bring rebuttal. Don't attack the messenger.

Respect or not. Did he betray the African course for total recognition in literature.

Why does the book have to be written in pro Western ideology.

He got it already. Explain that

what was the african "course"? how did soyinka betray the african "course"? who are the african writers that the author said boycotted the 86 award?

1 Like

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Obaaderemi2: 4:47am On Apr 11, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

Bro don't bamboozle me.

I am not an illiterate.

I said rebuff. Don't quote random website.

But you also quoted a random post.
Where is your link to any mainstream report where African writers boycotted the Nobel prize in 1986?

2 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Obaaderemi2: 4:49am On Apr 11, 2023
grandstar:
Yugoslavia247

Had Chinua Achebe won the Nobel Prize in 1986, this inquisition you're performing on Wole Soyinka would be replaced with congratulatory messages for Mr Achebe.

This is tribalism at its crudest state.

Has Wole Soyinka done you any bad? Was he not imprisoned for Biafra? You're just pissed that Chinua Achebe was not accorded the highest literature prize.

If you care so much about these prizes, then good money needs to be spent on developing tomorrows champions in schools. There are so many Wole Soyinka's and Achebe's dying somewhere, never to make a mark, or even to be sniffed.

You are trying to reason with a piglet. Best way to handle them is to hit them hard.

2 Likes

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:29am On Apr 12, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
You are trying to reason with a piglet. Best way to handle them is to hit them hard.

Your father is a millipede
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:30am On Apr 12, 2023
[quote author=Obaaderemi2 post=122435066]But you also quoted a random post.
Where is your link to any mainstream report where African writers boycotted the Nobel prize in 1986?[/quote

Go and sit down
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:30am On Apr 12, 2023
lexy2014:

what was the african "course"? how did soyinka betray the african "course"? who are the african writers that the author said boycotted the 86 award?

If you are not reasonable please go sleep
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:31am On Apr 12, 2023
Gabriel004:
You are not an ilitetrate but a ting like one.

You are not supposed to be here. Please move to romance sectiom
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:31am On Apr 12, 2023
Putindbutt:

Why are ibos then having seizures over the same award?. Anything you aren't good enough to get, you either try pulling it down or destroying it. You people are so unfortunate.

Why are you in coma on this thread
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by lexy2014: 11:32am On Apr 12, 2023
Yugoslavia247:

If you are not reasonable please go sleep

that still leaves the questions unaswered.

Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 11:32am On Apr 12, 2023
Babinski:

First, seeing the Twitter link is to the status of someone who had to either create a parody or an account using the name of Hundeyin speaks volumes about the credibility of such a person. Typically people like that in using their real identities have never been taken seriously and so have to adopt another's.

Secondly, I have gone through your piece and I am not surprised that there is no worthwhile source for any of the assertions and claims made against Soyinka. I searched the internet for any corroborating article on the alleged betrayal by Soyinka or any planned boycott of Nobel by African writers and found none except your Nairaland piece.

When Soyinka won the Nobel Prize, Achebe lauded Soyinka and stated that Soyinka was most eminently deserving of any prize. That is not the likely attitude that Achebe would display if Soyinka had been a betrayer as you claimed. Trying to paint Soyinka as a lackey of the West as a reason for winning the Nobel prize is puerile and laughable. There is no doubt that Soyinka is known as a critic who doesn't fear speaking against oppressors regardless of the colour of the foot that wears the boots. He has even been imprisoned for his stand against oppression.

There is no doubt that all these your diatribe against Soyinka is coming because of his recent opinions and statements against Obidients. I assume you are one of such Obidients who are so dyed in the wood in your ways that you abhor correction and any dissenting opinion. Anyone not toeing your line that speaks out must be cancelled and so I am not surprised about your poorly researched hack attempt at trying to damage the reputation and image of a literay icon like Wole Soyinka. Please find something else to say about Wole Soyinka instead of peddling falsehood.

https://www.thehistoryville.com/chinua-achebe/

https://saharareporters.com/2021/06/27/prizes-given-african-writers-not-write-african-language-says-kenyan-writer-ngugi-wa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka

Go πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 8:41am On Apr 19, 2023
The lyrics.

Where is Soyinka in Adamawa saga?
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 8:41am On Apr 19, 2023
Guinea passport saga.
Where is Soyinka?
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Yugoslavia247(m): 8:42am On Apr 19, 2023
When Obi is framed then you will be hearing big big grammar.
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Cromagnon: 5:55pm On May 03, 2023
nairalanda1:
Dang, the bitterness on this thread is severe.

Personally, I don't give a hoot for LP, PDP or APC, and Tinubu should have retired along with Atiku. Also, I believe Achebe should have got the Nobel in 2000 instead of the Chinese author they gave it to self

But really, at the rate Obidients are going on this Soyinka matter, it is really really showing them as bitter and petty people.
humans are bitter and petty animals
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by Ndipe(m): 9:27am On Aug 20, 2023
Camara Laye died in 1980.

husbandsnatcha:
during my young age around 1987 I found out great James ngugi of Kenya hated wole Soyinka . I saw him many times with Achehe and Camara laye but Soyinka is an odd man out.... Was it why they hated him ? After 35yrs I am finding this out .

This is how we planned to chase out bad government but yorubas betrayed us with tribalism .
An age long history stated no tribe mingle in war solidarity with them , for fear of betrayal which is wisdom to them from ancestors pass down to children ...so mysterious hmmmmmm
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by MTNnews: 10:57am On Aug 20, 2023
You de fear how the fools from your tribe will swallow this hook line n sinker ba πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Beremx:
Oh no not again!!

Make una leave Prof please. He's not Nigeria's problem biko.

Haba!!
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by MTNnews: 10:58am On Aug 20, 2023
You go wail tire to your death wake up rewail die again n rewail to another round of death you explanation no go still make sense.

Yugoslavia247:

Bro until you bring a rebuttal this is nothing but the truth.

No whitewashing.

If you investigate this thoroughly then you will see that the evidences are so glaring.

The Royal academy discriminated against Africans.

That is why I love Chinua Achebe. He deserved it but due to his die hard anti colonialist tendencies they shaved him off.

Not only him but others.

At a point Wole Soyinka said Achebe was jealous.

Nah he was raged because you betrayed African writers
Re: Did Wole Soyinka Betray Other Africans Just To Get The Nobel Price. by MTNnews: 11:12am On Aug 20, 2023
Don't worry in the next 12 years another foolish Igbo will write similar nonsense to make it the 3rd time you see it online.

PHIPEX:
This is the 2nd time am reading about this on Soyinka betraying African writters. The first was 12years ago. .out other writers were anti colonialists eg Things fall apart and got punished for it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala / Watch Nta Online For Free (link) / Do You Always Tell Foreign Nationals Positive Things About Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.