Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu (42475 Views)

You Need 25% In Abuja + Other Requirements To Be President. Mike Ozekhome / Reno Omokri: Osinbajo can Only Win Tinubu By Consensus / Can EL-Rufai Win Tinubu in a presidential Election? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Yusufisraelj(m): 10:16pm On Apr 14, 2023
Felimax:

Think deeply about this sir.
Can a candidate govern a state when he actually did not win that state?

Do you know that the president is automatically the governor of FCT? In case you don't know, this is the very reason why it is very important for a candidate to win the FCT.

If the above is carefully answered then you will see why the constitution said "AND" the FCT.
The word AND has only made it worst. No SAN can change that!

Sure you've made a valid case. Don't forget the FCT is govern by the minister of FCT appointed by the president. Let's see what the court settles with, for me I don't think we have a president elect at the moment going by the constitution.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by WhereMyLoud: 10:30pm On Apr 14, 2023
incandescentena:
Because there are no agberos like you in Abuja na
Na me turn your 419 likes to 420
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by UnabashedIPOB: 10:30pm On Apr 14, 2023
BreconHills:

If you took the time to read and understand what I wrote your response would be unnecessary. The key expression is " ...and the FCT" and I addressed that. I also expressly said that Nigeria does not run an electoral college. Let me break it down for you.

Section 299 of the Constitution expressly provides that the provisions of the Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation. Section 299 of the Constitution has received the judicial imprimatur of the full panel of the Supreme Court in FAWEHINMI & ORS v. BABANGIDA & ORS (2003) LPELR-1255 (SC).

The matter is settled. Abuja is a just another state for the purposes of the Presidential election. It would not ordinarily count as a state as it has no governor or house of assembly. But the Constitution says it should be treated as a state...as any other state.

I expected Obi to attempt to show that irregularities led to a substantially different result that would necessitate a re run. He didn't. No doubt because he can see that the results posted on irev and the collation numbers are in substantial conformity.

Obi is blowing smoke as usual. The king of vague and bland.

You're trying to wiggle your way out by not answering my question. You would deal with everything else other than answer the question. The section of your Constitution you are quoting is irrelevant to the issue. Even going by the section of your Constitution you quoted, you still missed the mark. That section of your Constitution was saying that although the Federal Capital Territory is NOT a state with its own Executive Governor, House of Assembly, and State Courts, it shall be treated as a state because all the powers vested in these 3 different arms of state government are inter alia vested in the three arms of the Federal government residing in the Federal Capital Territory.
This is exactly what that section of your Constitution says below:

Section 299 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

Now to deal with the relevant part of your Constitution that deals with the issue at hand, I refer you to:

Section 134 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

(1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election -

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where there being more than two candidates for the election-

(a) he has the highest number of votes cast at the election;

and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Based on the literal interpretation of the relevant section of your Constitution that deals with the issue, it means that whoever is declared the winner MUST also get 25% of the votes cast in the Federal capital territory.

"AND" is a conjunction. You use and to link two statements about events when one of the events follows the other.

1 Like

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by ojoisimi(m): 10:51pm On Apr 14, 2023
Wodu89:
Shut up. It's not your duty to interpret the law. Abuja is home to every people across the nation hence it's special electoral status. Occultic Mandate Thief

See your life outside. Òdè did not even read or read but lack comprehension skill to know that it was Tinubu's lawyer that was interpreting the law here.

So, each state's of the federation excluding your SE isn't home to every person across the country? Òpònú ayéràdà
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Espelbengz(m): 11:19pm On Apr 14, 2023
Continue wailing loser! Tell obi to call me kiddo👊

Felimax:

Indeed! Superior mugu!
As if you know who is talking with you!
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Felimax(m): 11:24pm On Apr 14, 2023
Espelbengz:
Continue wailing loser! Tell obi to call me kiddo👊

Surely, Obituary will call you.
Papilo!
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by galadima77(m): 11:25pm On Apr 14, 2023
Massiveglory:

If Tinubu is sworn in i will give you 200k. If he is not sworn in you will give me 150k. Are u game?
We get an escrow immediately

Seun please come and bear witness to this abeg...@ all nairaland mods please.

Today's April 14th. You owe me.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Massiveglory: 11:45pm On Apr 14, 2023
galadima77:

Seun please come and bear witness to this abeg...@ all nairaland mods please.

Today's April 14th. You owe me.
Not by mouth. Bring out your money
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by DollarMarley247: 11:46pm On Apr 14, 2023
favor914:
cc: Afamsi

Ignorance of the law, is no excuse in law, even INEC has confirmed same, yet they Obidients still choose to dwell in ignorance?

299. The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

(a) all the legislative powers, the executive powers and the judicial powers vested in the House of Assembly, the Governor of a State and in the courts of a State shall, respectively, vest in the National Assembly, the President of the Federation and in the courts which by virtue of the foregoing provisions are courts established for the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja;

(b) all the powers referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be exercised in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution; and

(c) the provisions of this Constitution pertaining to the matters aforesaid shall be read with such modifications and adaptations as may be reasonably necessary to bring them into conformity with the provisions of this section.
Mind You, The law never said the Vote of Abuja is equal to that of all the 36 states. Ince even states that the 25% threshold of the of the 36 states is 24. If the threshold is 24 then you must have Abuja 25 percentage also

1 Like

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by nzubegod: 12:02am On Apr 15, 2023
nwekeugochukwu:

https://igberetvnews.com/1443123/voters-fct-special-dont-need-25-win-tinubu/

Mugu Trying To Rewrite Constitution By Being Ridiculously Flippant
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Espelbengz(m): 12:15am On Apr 15, 2023
Obituary is your principals nick name? 🤣🤣🤣
Oya tell your obituary to call me under 30 😛
Go to bed so you don't loose your sleeping age kiddo👊👊

Felimax:

Surely, Obituary will call you.
Papilo!
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Mubiola360: 12:50am On Apr 15, 2023
otuomasirichi:
😎

Tinubu did not win presidential election and cannot be sworn in as Nigeria president.

No man born of a woman can swear in Tinubu as Nigeria president 💯
what if it happens, what should happen to you?
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Nobody: 2:05am On Apr 15, 2023
ppogba:

Not un-expected.
The same way you wailed and cried about Jubril from Sudan for eight years.

Your wailing starts now.........

E go shock you....

Wait for it
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by geoworldedu: 2:42am On Apr 15, 2023
Heathrow44:

which US court, the one of 1990's this is an ongoing investigation, this is 2023! The US authorities should come out and share files that suggest Tinubu's forfeiture wasn't a criminal offense, who forfeits his assets if he/ she isn't against the law, the mere fact he forfeited assets to the US, is a pointer to intent or aborted criminal offense, I hope he didn't sign a NDA with the US govt at the time not to disclose details of his forfeiture , PO and the labour party should go lobby US for evidence for his criminal offense, if the want to win this case otherwise they re not serious
Though I am apolitical and I don't care who becomes the president, but saying that one cannot forfeit asset except he or she has a criminal offence is fallacy. ROMAN ABRAHAMOVIC Chelsea Football Club true owner was forced to forfeit his asset Chelsea FC to the UK without involving in a crime. I don't see any way the US won't put a bloody Nigeria in jail if they sensed a truly convincing fair play rather than opting for mere forfeiture of asset.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Iluvmycontr3: 3:22am On Apr 15, 2023
Wodu89:
Shut up. It's not your duty to interpret the law. Abuja is home to every people across the nation hence it's special electoral status. Occultic Mandate Thief

Don't mind him. He's never polite or diplomatic. Always intimidating the mass in an undemocratic manner.
THE SWEARING-IN should be done in Lagos, and he should also start ruling from there if Abuja is not special.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Odogwuzack: 4:19am On Apr 15, 2023
Yusufisraelj:

Sure you've made a valid case. Don't forget the FCT is govern by the minister of FCT appointed by the president. Let's see what the court settles with, for me I don't think we have a president elect at the moment going by the constitution.

Make two of Una dey deceive una self for there. grin

When Court finally say the right thing, you will still say many terrible things about the judiciary.

Bunch of emotional ladden clowns. grin

1 Like

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Yusufisraelj(m): 4:23am On Apr 15, 2023
Odogwuzack:

Make two of Una dey deceive una self for there. grin

When Court finally say the right thing, you will still say many terrible things about the judiciary.

Bunch of emotional ladden clowns. grin

You can make your case without sounding asinine.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Globad(f): 4:32am On Apr 15, 2023
otuomasirichi:
😎

Tinubu did not win presidential election and cannot be sworn in as Nigeria president.

What are you going to do after he's sworn in?

1 Like

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Odogwuzack: 4:37am On Apr 15, 2023
UnabashedIPOB:

You're trying to wiggle your way out by not answering my question. You would deal with everything else other than answer the question. The section of your Constitution you are quoting is irrelevant to the issue. Even going by the section of your Constitution you quoted, you still missed the mark. That section of your Constitution was saying that although the Federal Capital Territory is NOT a state with its own Executive Governor, House of Assembly, and State Courts, it shall be treated as a state because all the powers vested in these 3 different arms of state government are inter alia vested in the three arms of the Federal government residing in the Federal Capital Territory.

The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation; and accordingly -

Now to deal with the relevant part of your Constitution that deals with the issue at hand, I refer you to:

(1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election -

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where there being more than two candidates for the election-

and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Based on the literal interpretation of the relevant section of your Constitution that deals with the issue, it means that whoever is declared the winner MUST also get 25% of the votes cast in the Federal capital territory.

"AND" is a conjunction. You use and to link two statements about events when one of the events follows the other.

Gibberish!!!

If your fraudster Obi had contested against one "City champion" from Abuja such that Obi won massively in every state and failed to get 25% in Abuja for obvious reason, will you be coming up with this useless narratives that is not even in line with the constitution just because of "AND"? grin

The constitution says "no one vote is bigger than the other" and the use of "and" there is just a reminder that there is another place (that is more like a state) apart from the 36 states that should be considered in calculating our 2/3 states of the federation. To get the two third spread.

Most of you know the truth. You are just looking for reason to start insulting the judiciary when the tribunal eventually throw the rubbish petition into the dustbin where it belongs.

1 Like

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Odogwuzack: 4:39am On Apr 15, 2023
Yusufisraelj:

You can make your case without sounding asinine.

Just trying to point out some areas your father failed in raising you.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Injera(f): 4:50am On Apr 15, 2023
Yusufisraelj:

Look at! And you think you're normal? We do not yet have a president elect by the constitution, come may 29th, watch and see if "someone" would be sworn in. We day here now. If you know you know.
Den go just waste you
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Yusufisraelj(m): 5:14am On Apr 15, 2023
Injera:

Den go just waste you

It's beyond physical bro, I know the vanity of trying physical when you're not helped on the other side.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by BreconHills(m): 5:33am On Apr 15, 2023
UnabashedIPOB:

and

Talk about complexity where there is none. 🤣

But we are not talking about events are we? We are talking about a list of places and one of those places prima facia should not be in the list because it is not a state in the common definition of a state. "And" is therefore inclusive with the objective of treating it as a state ( the 37th state) for the sake of the constitutional matters. Let's use the UK County system as an example. The UK has 48 counties, South Woodham is not a county it is a small town. Imagine that the British Constitution elects to treat it as a county ( the 49th county ) for the sake of an election. It now says "25% of the votes in 2/3 of all UK counties and South Woodham Ferrers. It MUST use "and" because South Woodham Ferrers is not a state outside of this special circumstance. South Woodham does not become a super state by this interpretation it is merely added to the list of states for the election.

The law may be an ass sometimes but it is not stupid. It has logic. If all the votes of Nigerian citizens are equal under the constitution why would the votes of people who by chance live in a particular place be deemed special? It takes away from the equality of votes by creating super voters.

The SC has indicated in prior cases that Abuja will be treated as a state but this does not constitute an inference that it is something unknown under the general interpretation of the constitution under which everyone has one vote. It would yield ridiculous results and weird political strategies. "Apples lemons, bananas and bread" Bread is not a fruit but we are going to treat it as equal to a fruit in this instance.

Simple.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Finestgurlie(f): 5:36am On Apr 15, 2023
CursedOsuPigs:
Finestgurlie, Today is Friday, I can see you're on your way to work 🤣🤣🤣

mynd44 lalasticlala Seun Dominique nlfpmod Mukina2
Rule 2
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by vannessa7(f): 6:01am On Apr 15, 2023
lildush:

You write up is long... But I can tell u. INEC changed the results at coalition centres... Tha hard copy is available. U will discover dat the results announced does not match wat they have on the hard copy.. we saw it all. This is the worst election so far

It was not possible for INEC to change the results at collation center because every state rep brought forward their state result by themselves and read it out by themselves, they gave copies to inec and a soft copy of it was projected to the screen for everyone to monitor while the state rep was reading their state report, it was broadcasted live and there were many people there, they did not close for the day but stayed in the collation centre till the end of the result collation they only went for recess when there was no state on ground and they are waiting for the next state that will travel down with their result, they worked all day and night until the last collation and they announced the winner, the only people that could tamper with results are state rep themselves, note that each party had situation room where they were also monitoring the election and collating their own result based on what was broadcasted from collation centres. Basing your judgement on hearsay is different from reality.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by incandescentena: 6:22am On Apr 15, 2023
WhereMyLoud:
Na me turn your 419 likes to 420
Heading to the 500 likes grin

5 Likes

Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by theredaddy: 6:25am On Apr 15, 2023
Mecka:
The law should have said 25% in 24 states including the fct

Oga stop compounding issues if you no understand english, did you even read the epistle i wrote.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by TheATM: 6:53am On Apr 15, 2023
Yusufisraelj:

Look at! And you think you're normal? We do not yet have a president elect by the constitution, come may 29th, watch and see if "someone" would be sworn in. We day here now. If you know you know.
if you are a family man just write your WILL now because you people will be shocked that day We know what you people can do and we have already prepared for you since.Ojukwu that tried rubbish years back,go and ask him in his grave what happened to him then.JAGABAN is your president,if you don't like that go and relocate to Rwanda or Burundi.
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Tzar(m): 7:04am On Apr 15, 2023
Very true my incoming president! The logic is as simple as ABC…
Otherwise, all a politician need to cause an upst is to focus all energies on Abuja to spoil the election of a popular candidate.
If a politician wins 90% votes in 36states but got 10% in Abuja, will they say such person cannot be president?
nwekeugochukwu:

https://igberetvnews.com/1443123/voters-fct-special-dont-need-25-win-tinubu/
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by theredaddy: 7:17am On Apr 15, 2023
UnabashedIPOB:

and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation [/b]andthe Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

"AND" is a conjunction. You use and to [b]link two statements about events when one of the events follows the other.

You are just being clever by quarter, english no hard naa sentiment dey worry una

According to section B, a part say 2-3rd of all states in the federation, if you list out all the states in Nigeria will abuja be there ?

The need for a "conjunction" arises becos all forms of logical arguement would have left abuja out of elections becos it does not meet the main clause " in all states of the federation"

The sole essence of of bringing Abuja into the equation was for fairness, they are Nigerians shouldnt be disenfrachnise cos of state or no state.. the draftsman can't preach fairness and at the same time promote "superiority" cos the constitution just want abuja to count as if it were one of the states, in english "as if" is subjective to imagination, assumption .. becos its not real in true sense
The next task was to look for the most appropriate "conjunction" taken into consideration election is a language of maths express in English .. for additional purposes "and" which denotes " +" in maths is the most appropriate choice. ask ur teachers

Interestingly, Why not try to introduce FCT as one of the states in the federation such that it will induce understanding from readers, without using the word "and"
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by HIPROFILE(m): 7:36am On Apr 15, 2023
I thought the word AND means Including, Also, In Addition…. abi I no know english again ni? or APC and Tinubu is trying to change the meaning of AND? who is advising this people?
Re: Voters In FCT Are Not Special, I Don't Need 25% There To Win – Tinubu by Adebowale89(m): 8:03am On Apr 15, 2023
otuomasirichi:
😎

you igbo are just a political comedians, little did one knew that this obidient movement is gathering of political comedians

no one can stop Tinubu Swearing inn, by acceptance of Inec report, Tinubu is C-inC in waiting

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Zimbabweans Wish Mugabe Will Learn From Nigeria / Ask Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour (GRV) Any Question About His Lagos Governorship Bid / Fact Check: Did Kashim Shettima Have Breakfast With Armed Bandits In Borno?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.