Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist (31416 Views)

‘I'm Perfectly Fine,’ Wilson Oruma Debunks Ill Health Rumour (Video, Photos) / Wilson Oruma: 'I Lost N2bn To Fraudsters And Relations' / Wilson Oruma All Smiles In New Pictures Shared By His Brother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Alliswell248: 9:22am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:
While England dey pay ex national players 5m monthly cool

Omo when naija go be like abroad eh?

Source?

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by ItisWell22(f): 9:22am On Apr 29, 2023
😢

dele1727:
This is a lesson for everyone
He played for some great clubs apart from serving Nigeria....if you take note...his issues started when he was duped by a pastor of 2BN

So Nigeria did not happen to him... Nigerians happen to him...

Nigerians are not so different from their leaders... infact their leaders is representation of their society...

Either Religious or political or military...

80 percent of Nigerians are terrible people who deserves what they get from other Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by AgroDoctor: 9:23am On Apr 29, 2023
I remembered the day he arrived his family home in Warri with the grand Cherokee jeep Abacha gifted them after the Olympics and I went to see for myself...

God bless him with good health and quick recovery.

6 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by dawnomike(m): 9:23am On Apr 29, 2023
Unfortunately, it is what it is.... Knowing the type of country Nigeria is... Ensure to invest massively for the future

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by ipobarecriminals: 9:23am On Apr 29, 2023
sad

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Adakintroy: 9:24am On Apr 29, 2023
I will always say this stop feeling sorry so quick. No matter how much you need to don't.

Investigate first so you can show other like see why we told you to refrain from certain life's.

Many of them were smokers and drinkers. Calling themselves bollers" but when things happen. Them go say them match poison or winch hand De inside. My guys go look prime oruma matter the time he get money you go see why him De like this. Things no De just happen. Men alway plane am ahead. Most people plan their own downfall ahead.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by thedio(m): 9:25am On Apr 29, 2023
Very pathetic...one of Nigeria best export,very skillful and talented. Many ppl did not appreciate him as a footballer because he played the same role with jjo okocha and came at wrong time(when jj was hot).
After jj is Wilson oruma and later christian obodo.
..... Nigeria ex footballers should come to his rescue pls.

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by kestolove95(m): 9:25am On Apr 29, 2023
Drinking, womanizing and clubbing etc

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by onatisi(m): 9:26am On Apr 29, 2023
the plans and structure for the future should be laid today . Today footballers are wiser , they start investing early and they no longer wait till they retire before starting

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by chieveboy(m): 9:26am On Apr 29, 2023
Never Patronize voodoo young man.
I am not saying he did.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by okuta007: 9:28am On Apr 29, 2023
I have said it here times without number when Insee our Nigerian entertainment stars buying phantom rolls royce and spending money on liabilities- I warn them to always think of their future - if for example you play for Chelsea or Arsenal and you make £100,000 a week - do not say a fellow team member who is from England or EU country that makes exactly the same money with you bought a Lamborghini then you want to do the same thing - NO don’t do that - why because - those players have the support of their countries even when their career has ended but you will not have the support of Nigeria when your own career ends

But lai lai, they won’t listen - instead they will say you are jealous - and the “dem get money?” crew will come out and start talking trash

This is the result of living a care free life 🤔

5 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Nature33: 9:28am On Apr 29, 2023
Village pipu at work again.
his colleagues,fg shud help or support him
now.
no b when he die now, they start shouting
"HE DIED WHEN D COUNTRY NEEDED HIM
MOST'

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Creamypie(m): 9:28am On Apr 29, 2023
Ebedei own bad oo

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Traplord09: 9:29am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:

It will tak √
zoo
23 years.... After the southwest ↙️ feel that pain of is looted land taxes collector 🤣🤣

No wonder Nigeria have never win any wordcup ⚽ but a plate 🍽️ of rice 🌾🍚

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by olisaEze(m): 9:29am On Apr 29, 2023
The reward for patriotism in Nigeria is almost at par with the reward you give the paper bag that protects your indomie noodles before you cook it! If these are the gold medalists, imagine the reward for those that didn’t get to win any medals. undecided

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Omoluabi16(m): 9:30am On Apr 29, 2023
Teachers? Doctors? Policemen? Ex-civil servants? Let's stop being emotional about this. This talk of former heroes is rubbish. If someone had as much as 2BILLION naira in 2016, then I don't know what to say.Let their former colleagues come through for them, because country no owe them shishi!

5 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by JuanDeDios: 9:31am On Apr 29, 2023
maleekberry:

https://punchng.com/oruma-the-travails-of-an-olympic-medalist/
Punch's writing used to be better. Seems everything declines in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Truthshscrazy: 9:32am On Apr 29, 2023
undecided

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by marlow1962(m): 9:33am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Never, the hate inside is too big for growth to succeed.

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Regladoj: 9:34am On Apr 29, 2023
[
Well said !!!

quote author=webdevprof post=122818398]The advice I have for our football stars is to take their health seriously, invest and manager their lives properly.

It's always the same issue of Nigerian govt abandoning its heroes but let's be honest, footballers aren't the only ones that have been abandoned- teachers, doctors, civil servants are humans too and they die without nobody noticing them. The concept of social welfare in our society in non-existent.

If you start making money as a footballer or sportsman, please and please, insure your health, build houses here and there to ensure you don't go bankrupt, avoid foreign women cos most of them want your money and finally, don't forget to be close to God cos enemies plenty!...[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by AngelicBeing: 9:36am On Apr 29, 2023
Faulty Foundational issues, Faulty Family Tree, Shrine, Voodoo, charms, witchdoctors and witchcrafts activities, poor and manipulated investment by those he trusted, Village people attacks etc sad

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by IamANigerianMan: 9:39am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:

We are paying our retired expired politicians, Benue just pass a law to pay former governors 23.5Million with another allowance per annum

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 9:39am On Apr 29, 2023
airsaylongcome:
I still don't get the purpose of this write up. Are they entitled to some special insurance because they are former footballers? That would mean every Nigerian is entitled to special insurance and treatment for being "former employees"
as a representative of your country and a super athlete of some sort who sacrificed their ripe and most productive years partly for their country, they deserve a little recurrent something and shouldn't be on ground zero like this for any reason.

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Acidosis(m): 9:40am On Apr 29, 2023
The question is were they paid for the services they rendered to the country?? Football is not pensionable all over the world. Nobody is paying Kanu or Okocha in 2023 for the matches they played in 1996. The last time Arsenal paid Kanu was 2004. His net worth today is a product of his investments and strategic priorities.

However, like any responsible country, every poor citizen deserves some sort of social security and medical insurance.

8 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by buJu234: 9:40am On Apr 29, 2023
That's why u have to acquire financial knowledge especially when u re young.. And learn to master the 3M stages.

Stage 1: Making money ( salary, contract, hammering etc)

Stage 2: Managing money (budgeting, saving for rainy days & investments)

Stage 3: Multiply money ( via investments.. its investments & business that you knw about and have control over.. not one MMM or bitcoin company etc), buy genuine lands, treasury bills, open a shop to sell things to u may directly etc

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by donbenie(m): 9:40am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Did they also tell you that it is a Pension Fund,where you contribute a portion of your earnings over your playing career?
You want to squander all your earnings as a player and still wants the FA to take care of you later in life?
Is that how Civil Servants get their pensions?

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by bigtt76(f): 9:41am On Apr 29, 2023
Sad ...sad really but it appears Nigerian footballers while at the top lived a flashy lifestyle and or they never had good advisers. You hardly get this type of stories from other players who did well to get good people to guide them. I hope the up and coming ones are learning though.

How can Femi Opabunmi diagnosed with glaucoma that can easily be treated abroad, decide that native doctors were his best option beats me angry

maleekberry:

https://punchng.com/oruma-the-travails-of-an-olympic-medalist/

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by cunny88(m): 9:41am On Apr 29, 2023
They should also endeavor to invest wisely and be prayerful during there haydays, some of us with talents didn't have the opportunity dey got

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by correctguy101(m): 9:43am On Apr 29, 2023
dele1727:
This is a lesson for everyone
He played for some great clubs apart from serving Nigeria....if you take note...his issues started when he was duped by a pastor of 2BN

So Nigeria did not happen to him... Nigerians happen to him...

Nigerians are not so different from their leaders... infact their leaders is representation of their society...

Either Religious or political or military...

80 percent of Nigerians are terrible people who deserves what they get from other Nigerians

Chai....

Imagine a pastor duping an infidel like this ancestor.. Mission Impossible.

I always shine my eyes once I hear the intro: Ayam a man of God.

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Chisave: 9:45am On Apr 29, 2023
G

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#10YearsChallenge: Chichi Igbo Shares Throwback Photo / Joshua, Antetokounmpo Make Forbes’ Highest-paid Athletes List / Iheanacho, Ezeh, Obasi And Baba With Nigerian U13 In 2010 (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.