Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,185 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist (31417 Views)

‘I'm Perfectly Fine,’ Wilson Oruma Debunks Ill Health Rumour (Video, Photos) / Wilson Oruma: 'I Lost N2bn To Fraudsters And Relations' / Wilson Oruma All Smiles In New Pictures Shared By His Brother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by ogify1(m): 9:46am On Apr 29, 2023
Omo. Uhnmmm.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 9:47am On Apr 29, 2023
Omoluabi16:
Teachers? Doctors? Policemen? Ex-civil servants? Let's stop being emotional about this. This talk of former heroes is rubbish. If someone had as much as 2BILLION naira in 2016, then I don't know what to say.Let their former colleagues come through for them, because country no owe them shishi!
The country owe them whether you agree or not. It was Buhari who fulfilled landed property promise to I think 1994 Nations Cup or Atlanta Olympic winners. After like 30 years. Some of them could have died of hunger and yet their promises where delayed. The world over, altletes are recognised for their efforts which denies them the chance of going to college at the right time.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by nattyspice: 9:47am On Apr 29, 2023
[quote author=Creamypie post=122818646]Ebedei own bad oo[/quoote]
I still doubt does pictures of an old man with protruding stomach as ebedei.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:48am On Apr 29, 2023
Oruma was my all-time favorite substitute for Okocha then.

if dude hold ball u go mistake am for Jay Jay

Na wa o!
undecided
Hope Osimhen is reading dis now?

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Konjiboii: 9:54am On Apr 29, 2023
If only Nigerians understand that we take nothing out of this life, recently I was visiting Bayelsa and we pass through Alamesiyah house the compound is big like a fvcking fortress yet no one was living inside, his relatives and kids are scared to live there because they claim it is haunted. In this life just live in modesty ,enjoy the moments but not at the expense of your neighbour struggling, everyone deserve comfort.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Olowosaudi(m): 9:56am On Apr 29, 2023
Sad! Lesson we all should learn from this: plan for life after retirement and spend with caution rather than extravagantly. Footballers and other athletes earn a lot of money during their career which is shortlived and due to peer pressure, they live above their means to impress their colleagues and when they retire from the game, the money stops flowing like before and they find it hard to survive.

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 9:58am On Apr 29, 2023
AntiChristian:
This is so sadening!

May Allah grant us a healthy retirement physically, emotionally, financially, socially and aesthetically!

Bad belle. It was by a pastor and not his pastor. Even you can decide to use the title of a pastor.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 10:00am On Apr 29, 2023
Konjiboii:
If only Nigerians understand that we take nothing out of this life, recently I was in visiting Bayelsa and we pass through Alamesiyah house the compound is big like a fvcking fortress yet no one was living inside, his relatives and kids are scared to live there because they claim it is haunted. In this life just live in modesty ,enjoy the moments but not at the expense of your neighbour struggling, everyone deserve comfort.
This word should be for the people who target these athletes and not the athletes themselves.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by BeardedmeatR(m): 10:01am On Apr 29, 2023
Elzazzi:
He was defrauded by his Pastor ??

What was done to this said pastor ?
My question too

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by edgecution(m): 10:01am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:
While England dey pay ex national players 5m monthly cool

Omo when naija go be like abroad eh?

This is not true. If any Retired Footballer receive any payment , it is usually a pension that they have contributed through the Professional Footballers Union. NOT GOVERNMENT OR FA

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by BJanta: 10:11am On Apr 29, 2023
NoahHadNoArk:

Some is vanity ?!

ALL is vanity.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Yankiss(m): 10:11am On Apr 29, 2023
Elzazzi:
He was defrauded by his Pastor ??

What was done to this said pastor ?
My question as well. Someone ripped off N2b and is walking free or what? What was done legally and otherwise to reclaim the money and punish culprit? If I am Oruma honestly I will eliminate such person and his entire lineage, wherever they may be. He can NEVER enjoy that money. Nonsense. But come to think of it. How silly is Oruma in having to invest all his earnings at once. Lol. the con artist was close enough to know how to con Oruma. He has never recovered since then. Real Estate would have been a sure bet for him.

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by somehow: 10:12am On Apr 29, 2023
Adeneeyee84:
Nigeria have happen this set of people.... This country is a career killer on itself

Life happened to them.

Everyone is facing theirs abeit alone, because they're in public eyes doesn't mean they are more human than those not in public eyes.

I wish those still alive the grace to carry on and RIP to those who didn't make it.

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by enomakos(m): 10:12am On Apr 29, 2023
Sad
So Emmanuel ebiede is dead
Sad

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by somehow: 10:13am On Apr 29, 2023
edgecution:

This is not true. If any Retired Footballer receive any payment , it is usually a pension that they have contributed through the Professional Footballers Union. NOT GOVERNMENT OR FA

You dey mind them?

Anything to insult the country with.

There are stories of foreign players who ended up broke, some even committed suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Luvinghubby: 10:15am On Apr 29, 2023
webdevprof:
The advice I have for our football stars is to take their health seriously, invest and manager their lives properly.

It's always the same issue of Nigerian govt abandoning its heroes but let's be honest, footballers aren't the only ones that have been abandoned- teachers, doctors, civil servants are humans too and they die without nobody noticing them. The concept of social welfare in our society in non-existent.

If you start making money as a footballer or sportsman, please and please, insure your health, build houses here and there to ensure you don't go bankrupt, avoid foreign women cos most of them want your money and finally, don't forget to be close to God cos enemies plenty!...

Very good advice ✅

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by bluefilm: 10:16am On Apr 29, 2023
Such is life.

All fingers are not equal.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by staga: 10:18am On Apr 29, 2023
Some of these sportsmen made money that 90% of the earth's population will not see in 10 generations. Riotous living is the primary suspect.

How much did guys like Segun Odegbami or James Etokebe make in their playing days? Yet they are doing well.

Folorunsho Okenla is also doing well for himself. Same as Papilo, Okocha and several others. The issue here is failure to invest properly in themselves and in proper investment vehicles.

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by tosyne2much(m): 10:21am On Apr 29, 2023
slivertongue:
Most wasted their earnings on frivolous living
You still don't understand that life can happen to anyone even if they have the best of plans to map out their future properly

Life can happen to a wealthy person and they can end up suffering, so this isn't about not investing wisely at their prime

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Originalsly: 10:22am On Apr 29, 2023
I'm wondering why we always throw responsibility on the FG and never on ourselves. The headliner ... represented Nigeria and I guess received whatever gifts the FG handed out for the various achievements. He left the country and made his fortune abroad... just like sooo many other citizens. Did the clubs abroad have health and pension schemes?... if yes, did he buy in? We are talking about the local association should be assisting him.... does the local association have a health or pension scheme?.... do players contribute? If not... then each is on his own and need to make provision for when the big money ends and health or other issues arise. We often see these players showing off the most expensive cars and luxurious living .... as if the money will continue to flow for life. I think in this particular case greed paid a big part in him being scammed. If a man gamble his life savings and lose should the FG be then responsible for his upkeep? We see same in the movie industry where too many move in the fast lane... wrecking their health with the lifestyle of their choosing .... and when the consequences arise and they are down with ill health and destitute ... we blame the association and the FG. Lastly .... moves should be made to track down and charge the pastor for scam .... his assets perceived to be attained with the N2bn frozen and confiscated. From this write up ... just one saying keeps coming to mind ...

make hay while the sun shines.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by thesmallgod(m): 10:22am On Apr 29, 2023
Even though many of them did not made a lot of money during the time they were actively playing football, fortune sometime might be very difficult to manage especially if you make a wrong decision. Which is one of the problem many of these footballers faced especially few years after they retired. This days, many retired footballers are becoming wise. Apart from hiring independent financial institutions to manage their fortune, they are also actively getting educated and taking up other careers in sport. Retired footballers such as Kompany, kolo toure, xabi alonso etc., got coaching license after retirement and are still very active and performing wonders.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by achu442(m): 10:27am On Apr 29, 2023
I have said this before and again.

The best investment to do is on human beings.
When you make it in life.

Assist people reach a certain level with close monitoring.

All may not be grateful to acknowledge you, but the ones who will, will not see you suffer when you don't have anything anymore.

Even Mohammed and Jesus'invested on human beings

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by FireUpNow(m): 10:28am On Apr 29, 2023
AK481:
This life eh.upon all the exercise they did ,sickness still came .

Na God dey protect us all
Nor be by exercise and money but by mercy and grace of God. When you know this it will be better for such person. Know that the fastest runner today will not be able to move his or her legs when sickness comes or in old age.irony of life

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by somehow: 10:29am On Apr 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
as a representative of your country and a super athlete of some sort who sacrificed their ripe and most productive years partly for their country, they deserve a little recurrent something and shouldn't be on ground zero like this for any reason.

Define sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by nams77: 10:31am On Apr 29, 2023
AK481:
This life eh.upon all the exercise they did ,sickness still came .

Na God dey protect us all
Seriously! I never saw it from that angle.

But that one no mean say we go just slack. Especially me wey exercise dey hard

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by MASTERMIND04(m): 10:32am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:
While England dey pay ex national players 5m monthly cool

Omo when naija go be like abroad eh?
Maybe in year 2200. Fu**king contree.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 10:32am On Apr 29, 2023
somehow:

Define sacrifice.
that which cost you something valuable but you let go.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by treatise: 10:34am On Apr 29, 2023
NoahHadNoArk:

Some is vanity ?!
Even poverty

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Yusufisraelj(m): 10:35am On Apr 29, 2023
webdevprof:
The advice I have for our football stars is to take their health seriously, invest and manager their lives properly.

It's always the same issue of Nigerian govt abandoning its heroes but let's be honest, footballers aren't the only ones that have been abandoned- teachers, doctors, civil servants are humans too and they die without nobody noticing them. The concept of social welfare in our society in non-existent.

If you start making money as a footballer or sportsman, please and please, insure your health, build houses here and there to ensure you don't go bankrupt, avoid foreign women cos most of them want your money and finally, don't forget to be close to God cos enemies plenty!...

Thank you, I'm not poor shaming, but let's face it, this people were paid during thier prime years, what did they do with those monies? If people like kanu, okocha, oliseh are not on the same pedestals, it means something was wrong with how they handled money initially when it was available.

money will be up and down, the goal is to make the best use of it when it's plenty and ensure to invest both long and short term. Money is a needed commodity in our today's world, don't joke with financial education.

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by TenQ: 10:47am On Apr 29, 2023
maleekberry:

https://punchng.com/oruma-the-travails-of-an-olympic-medalist/
This problem is not unique to sportsmen alone, Nigeria does not care for ANY of her citizens no matter the value you have given to the Nation.

The only people of value are politicians who have stolen billions in dollars from the national treasury: these would be immortalised as national heros

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by somehow: 10:49am On Apr 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
that which cost you something valuable but you let go.

So which sacrifice did any of them do for Nigeria?

They often got paid for games played.

Remember that for any of them to even play in some leagues, they needed to have played so amount of games for the national team.

So I'd say Nigeria even did them a favor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#10YearsChallenge: Chichi Igbo Shares Throwback Photo / Joshua, Antetokounmpo Make Forbes’ Highest-paid Athletes List / Iheanacho, Ezeh, Obasi And Baba With Nigerian U13 In 2010 (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.