Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,535 members, 7,816,306 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist (31418 Views)

‘I'm Perfectly Fine,’ Wilson Oruma Debunks Ill Health Rumour (Video, Photos) / Wilson Oruma: 'I Lost N2bn To Fraudsters And Relations' / Wilson Oruma All Smiles In New Pictures Shared By His Brother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by somehow: 10:50am On Apr 29, 2023

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by AntiChristian: 11:00am On Apr 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
Bad belle. It was by a pastor and not his pastor. Even you can decide to use the title of a pastor.

Which one is bad belle here?
Did you see me abuse any pastor or what?

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by 77star: 11:02am On Apr 29, 2023
buJu234:
That's why u have to acquire financial knowledge especially when u re young.. And learn to master the 3M stages.

Stage 1: Making money ( salary, contract, hammering etc)

Stage 2: Managing money (budgeting, saving for rainy days & investments)

Stage 3: Multiply money ( via investments.. its investments & business that you knw about and have control over.. not one MMM or bitcoin company etc), buy genuine lands, treasury bills, open a shop to sell things to u may directly etc
Well said

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Lovelink1991(f): 11:04am On Apr 29, 2023
Why will they care for their ex-footballers when nothing in this country is free and fair. To be a leader of this country you must steal or buy your way in.

Just watch this video and tell me what will make them care for their citizens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RXNSnsYTs

If you like the packaging you can subscribe to the channel

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by promami: 11:11am On Apr 29, 2023
These people lived a large life off the handsome rewards they got playing for foreign clubs. They made money. They enjoyed life.
Question is, who did they empower or helped? What did they contribute to the society to better other people's life?
See what Ahmed Musa and Asisat Oshoala is doing for people in their community. If things ever go down for them, people will turn up for them because they showed compassion when they had money. How about these ones?
You can't earn huge salaries playing for big clubs and from Super eagles and enjoyed alone, finish the money and expect us to come crowdfund for you to start again.

4 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by GoodbutBadguy: 11:14am On Apr 29, 2023
Pensions paid to politicians should be used for the welfare of patriotic citizens who served this nation during their prime. These sportsmen & women have no means to loot, but an average Nigerian politician will make enough money for himself and his generation why still active in the office, lastly, one problem many ppl lacks is financial educationundecided.[b] I just came to understand that no matter the amount of money the most important thing is the ability to protect and multiply your wealth is the most important thing. I recommend that you should read THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON and sturdy the book of Ecclesiastes chapter 11 as a young [/b]man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Fearyourcreator: 11:23am On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:
While England dey pay ex national players 5m monthly cool

Omo when naija go be like abroad eh?
Those guys don pay tax die to what they are getting back... No dey zuzu

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Fearyourcreator: 11:24am On Apr 29, 2023
webdevprof:
The advice I have for our football stars is to take their health seriously, invest and manage their lives properly.

It's always the same issue of Nigerian govt abandoning its heroes but let's be honest, footballers aren't the only ones that have been abandoned- teachers, doctors, civil servants are humans too and they die without nobody noticing them. The concept of social welfare in our society in non-existent.

If you start making money as a footballer or sportsman, please and please, insure your health, build houses here and there to ensure you don't go bankrupt, avoid foreign women cos most of them want your money and finally, don't forget to be close to God cos enemies plenty!...
Most of them No dey thunk of the future... Na to dey live large them sabi

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Fearyourcreator: 11:26am On Apr 29, 2023
dele1727:
This is a lesson for everyone
He played for some great clubs apart from serving Nigeria....if you take note...his issues started when he was duped by a pastor of 2BN

So Nigeria did not happen to him... Nigerians happen to him...

Nigerians are not so different from their leaders... infact their leaders is representation of their society...

Either Religious or political or military...

80 percent of Nigerians are terrible people who deserves what they get from other Nigerians
God bless you for this truth... Was still having discussion with a friend yesterday concerning tax... I asked how much he dey pay ... He said two percent ... I said se na wetin them dey pay for saner climes be that... Life na give and take... Simple...

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by delzbaba(m): 11:34am On Apr 29, 2023
Oruma really suffered for his money, someone that has been playing since 17yrs old,,,he played for so long in all the cadres of French football even after his mates had retired, only for someone to swindle his money from him, where's the justice in this world

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by DeZoro(m): 11:48am On Apr 29, 2023
These are the reason why the current footballers don't take Nigeria seriously. They know that are abandoned after making the country proud.. Plan for your future.! Naija na scam

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Majesty7: 11:50am On Apr 29, 2023
dele1727:
This is a lesson for everyone
He played for some great clubs apart from serving Nigeria....if you take note...his issues started when he was duped by a pastor of 2BN

So Nigeria did not happen to him... Nigerians happen to him...

Nigerians are not so different from their leaders... infact their leaders is representation of their society...

Either Religious or political or military...

80 percent of Nigerians are terrible people who deserves what they get from other Nigerians

Baffling how people are not talking about the pastor. What is his name? Where is the pastor now? #2B in 2016 when a dollar was #257 should be equal to around #4B in 2023.

Losing #2B is not a small money. Such pastor should be dealt with and something recouped for Wilson.

Until we start to deal with issues the way it comes the earlier the better for us. This is why fraudsters should be giving serious sentencing.

3 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Arisenews2: 12:05pm On Apr 29, 2023
Watch their story here
9 Other Nigerian Football Stars Who Went Broke After Taking the Wrong Decisions in Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Yp4ZavdZw

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Streetmovement(m): 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2023
Wotoporiously cool speaking

There’s no structure in Nigerian football, entertainment and other fields that provides pension and a health care insurance for retirees

It's a pity the country we find ourselves

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by bewla(m): 12:11pm On Apr 29, 2023
Nawttiboi007:
Vanity upon vanity
Not like that when you waist what God give you

Invest more for the sunny days

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Moniya4Real(m): 12:18pm On Apr 29, 2023
They’d rather pay retired thieving politicians humongous amount of gratuity rather than do this. In the civilized world, they made sure that politicians are one of the least paid hence, you don’t aspire for political office unless you really have the interest of the citizens at heart.

BigDawsNet:

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Voiceofthestree: 12:27pm On Apr 29, 2023
Yankiss:
My question as well. Someone ripped off N2b and is walking free or what? What was done legally and otherwise to reclaim the money and punish culprit? If I am Oruma honestly I will eliminate such person and his entire lineage, wherever they may be. He can NEVER enjoy that money. Nonsense. But come to think of it. How silly is Oruma in having to invest all his earnings at once. Lol. the con artist was close enough to know how to con Oruma. He has never recovered since then. Real Estate would have been a sure bet for him.

Pray you don’t fall victim

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by fisco82(m): 1:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
All is vanity of vanity

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by PARADIZEPRIEST: 1:08pm On Apr 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
In this part of the world there are evil minded ones who look for money by locating whoever has it to target and loot spiritually. Most of them are spiritual and physical.

Go to delta and ask about Oruma family generally. You will hear stories.
YOU ARE VERY CORRECT,THAT s WHY YOU MUST BE DEEPLY SPIRITUALLY CLOSE TO GOD ALMIGHTY,DONT HARM PEOPLE, DONT SOCIALIZE TOO MUCH,BE CAREFUL AND CARING.
ONE WITH GOD IS MAJORITY. sad

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by MrFly(m): 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:

lies from the pit of hell

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by pek(m): 1:31pm On Apr 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
The country owe them whether you agree or not. It was Buhari who fulfilled landed property promise to I think 1994 Nations Cup or Atlanta Olympic winners. After like 30 years. Some of them could have died of hunger and yet their promises where delayed. The world over, altletes are recognised for their efforts which denies them the chance of going to college at the right time.
The country don't owe them! Omoluabi16 is right. Stop misleading people here. They are paid huge bonuses and allowance. What they make in a match is more than what a top servant can make in three years. Lack of planning and frivolous lifestyle is what is causing all these.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by pek(m): 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Linus.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by pek(m): 1:35pm On Apr 29, 2023
bewla:
Not like that when you waist waste what God give you

Invest more for the sunny days

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 1:40pm On Apr 29, 2023
pek:
The country don't owe them! Omoluabi16 is right. Stop misleading people here. They are paid huge bonuses and allowance. What they make in a match is more than what a top servant can make in three years. Lack of planning and frivolous lifestyle is what is causing all these.
in this case, careless investment can be blamed but the govt owes them irrespective of what clubs pay them. Don't forget not every talented footballer who spent their 20s and 30s in the sports got signed in Europe and earned fat salaries. Some are in local league where their salary cannot treat injuries and yet represented their countries. I insist the govt owes them a little something.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by greypencils: 1:43pm On Apr 29, 2023
I sympathise with them. At the same time, I don't. Why will they go to Europe to play football, earn some real money in foreign currency and still go broke? If at any point they feel the money is dwindling, what stops them from staying low-key in a foreign country and working there at the same time coming back home to make investments as basic as landed property? We are suddenly hit with these sensational stories of they being broke, they being sick etc. I believe the Nigerian government ought to have a welfare plan for retired footballers who have donned on national colors, at the same time, what stops a player from creating his/her own safety net by making basic, sensible investments?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by BaddestQueen(f): 1:46pm On Apr 29, 2023
that's why I laugh whenever people bash those English Nigerian footballers for not playing for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by pek(m): 1:49pm On Apr 29, 2023
RepoMan007:
in this case, careless investment can be blamed but the govt owes them irrespective of what clubs pay them. Don't forget not every talented footballer who spent their 20s and 30s in the sports got signed in Europe and earned fat salaries. Some are in local league where their salary cannot treat injuries and yet represented their countries. I insist the govt owes them a little something.
Government owes them what and how? Just this morning, there's a report that said the average player in the Nigerian league earns between 200-500 thousand naira. The report also went ahead to say these players live a flamboyant and reckless life. How much is a director's salary in the ministry? About 250,000. You get the picture now? I ask again, how those the government owe them? They are paid humongous salaries and bonus, tax free and you turn to blame the government.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by RepoMan007: 1:53pm On Apr 29, 2023
pek:
Government owes them what and how? Just this morning, there's a report that said the average player in the Nigerian league earns between 200-500 thousand naira. The report also went ahead to say these players live a flamboyant and reckless life. How much is a director's salary in the ministry? About 250,000. You get the picture now? I ask again, how those the government owe them? They are paid humongous salaries and bonus, tax free and you turn to blame the government.
The govt still owes any representative a small something. That 250,000 can it handle the average injury they sustain?

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by bewla(m): 1:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
[quote author=pek post=122823194][/quote] Thanks for you humble pointer

Kind of you

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by Numerouno94(m): 1:58pm On Apr 29, 2023
webdevprof:
The advice I have for our football stars is to take their health seriously, invest and manage their lives properly.

It's always the same issue of Nigerian govt abandoning its heroes but let's be honest, footballers aren't the only ones that have been abandoned- teachers, doctors, civil servants are humans too and they die without nobody noticing them. The concept of social welfare in our society in non-existent.

If you start making money as a footballer or sportsman, please and please, insure your health, build houses here and there to ensure you don't go bankrupt, avoid foreign women cos most of them want your money and finally, don't forget to be close to God cos enemies plenty!...
💯💯

2 Likes

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by fabolouz1(m): 2:00pm On Apr 29, 2023
Many sports personality forget that their career is short and without a back up plan the huge amount of wealth accrued over the years can disappear .
They live flashy lifestyles ,womanise and drugs and when their career nosedive they seek empathy from the public .
This is not only applicable to Nigerians nay Africans but it's a global phenomena ,however it's worse in the African continent due to the poverty level over here.
In Wilson Oruma's case ,he was duped by a so called man of god and it's understandable but if he had seek professional advice ,I doubt he would have dabbled into it.
May God's Grace find him.

1 Like

Re: Oruma: The Travails Of An Olympic Medalist by NamelessOGBENI(m): 3:13pm On Apr 29, 2023
The labor of our heroes past is lying in the graves, they'd sigh at the decay going on right now.

Sometime, you need to be patriotic and slow down when necessary, the country waste her best and complain when others are leaving her.

It's well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#10YearsChallenge: Chichi Igbo Shares Throwback Photo / Joshua, Antetokounmpo Make Forbes’ Highest-paid Athletes List / Iheanacho, Ezeh, Obasi And Baba With Nigerian U13 In 2010 (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.