Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? (3426 Views)

Nothing Hurt Like Being Beautiful, Single & Hot- Beautiful Nigerian Lady Says / Pleasures And Pains Of Being Beautiful. / Things You Did To Show Off To The Opposite Sex You Later Regretted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 10:46pm On May 03, 2023
I asked myself this question again this evening.. here's why;
I didn't want to bring this here because of nairaland and it's wahala but anyways this is my own space 🌝.
Now sincerely, why do people act surprised if they see you are you are Yoruba Lady and look pretty according to them ( I think beauty is subjective)
The reason for this is, not once not twice have people asked me if I'm really Yoruba.. Like?? It's a little flustering and they don't even realize it πŸ˜‚ I don't get it .
I remember when I was working during the strike at a secondary school in Lag, the kids will greet me cheerfully in the morning while smiling saying mistress, you look beautiful today. I'll smile and say thank you o my darlings..it was adorable to hear lol then one day, I overheard some of them arguing that I was ibo, I have an English first name so they couldn't tell. When I entered the class they asked me again, that's when I told them noo I'm not ibo oπŸ˜‚ kids my goodness.. and this have been a pattern, sort of. So this evening again my friends and I were coming from church o someone stopped us to invite us for a program somehow in the middle of convincing..one of us wasn't having it, we were delayed and hungry so he faced her and was like you this geh you are ibo abi.. that's how we faced him and what does he mean and could he tell people's tribe from their face he said yes he could, so we asked him to guess..of course he was wrong my two friends were actually esan and etsako when I told him I'm Yoruba not esan he was like "really but you don't look like one, your smile is so beautiful" thank God he couldn't read my thoughts that moment πŸ˜…
I really didn't find it flattering, another stereotypical being. I'm full blooded Yoruba and pretty decent looking, not exceptional I don't get why people, not all though, expect to see something else... I have very beautiful friends, and siblings back at home, and even the little ones I meet here all look good. So why that reaction all the time? I'm not a stereotypical person and I love adventure, learning new things, new languages and cultures that's why I find it is really off putting when I meet narrow minded people. shocked
Besides our mostly dark skin, I don't think there's any truth in the belief that if you are a Yoruba lady you are not supposed to look pretty😀..it's wrong guys, dark skin is not a bad thing,I actually love it, I love being a dark skinned girl, fair skin is also pretty but it's should not be the standard for beauty.
PS; I know a lot of fair skinned Yorubas too.
We move.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Autobot05: 10:53pm On May 03, 2023
I smell incoming vawulence on yourba people soon ..

Im not a tribalistic person tho wink
Let love lead

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mymadam(m): 11:00pm On May 03, 2023
So, what is special about being fair-skinned? πŸ™„
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Modifire(m): 11:01pm On May 03, 2023
No tribe is exempted from beauty

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 11:03pm On May 03, 2023
mymadam:
So, what is special about being fair-skinned? πŸ™„
Nothing
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by seeker121(m): 11:12pm On May 03, 2023
Being beautiful doesn't have to do with tribe or family. As ugly pple exist across all tribes so do beautiful pple also exists.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Eyinju112(f): 11:17pm On May 03, 2023
Should we tell her? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Itooweak4una: 11:19pm On May 03, 2023
Why exactly do you feel you need to share this with us? The offline validation you've gotten isn't enough ba. You need simps to make you feel better about yourself

9 Likes

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by anthonyuncle(m): 11:48pm On May 03, 2023
it's better if I don't say anything

1 Like

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by BRIMBRAM: 11:53pm On May 03, 2023
grin

As e dey pain dem, e dey sweet us, as e dey sweet us e dey pain dem. . grin
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 12:00am On May 04, 2023
Itooweak4una:
Why exactly do you feel you need to share this with us? The offline validation you've gotten isn't enough ba. You need simps to make you feel better about yourself
Its not about me.
You're free to air ur opinion tho.
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 12:01am On May 04, 2023
DispatcherLagos:
There are beautiful Yoruba people too. However, they should work on their personal hygiene
Lol
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by illicit(m): 12:15am On May 04, 2023
Beauty has no tribe

2 Likes

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Houseofglam7(f): 2:31am On May 04, 2023
WTF!!!!
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Westerhoffe(m): 3:38am On May 04, 2023
I've never won the defense argument that I am not Igbo from both Yorubas and Igbos I have met. So I just walk away.

One idiot had to tell me to go and question my mum or go for a DNA test because I don't look Yoruba.

The only elderly woman to accept I'm Yoruba after scrutinizing me said she's familiar with my tribe that they're always good-looking.

I'll be speaking my native dialect and they'd still be asking if I'm Igbo. The worst comes from Igbos. angry

It's disgusting to think or have that mentality that Yorubas are not handsome/beautiful.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by onumadu: 4:10am On May 04, 2023
First of all Pinsure or ... grin

Anyway, there is no smoke without fire... cheesy

But overall every ethnic group has its kind of good looks.
One of the most beautiful women I've met overseas is a Yoruba lady.
Her "architecture" is second to none. What saved me was that I am not available.
I don't know what I would have done if I was single.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by franchasofficia: 6:18am On May 04, 2023
mizzhathaway:
I didn't want to bring this here because of nairaland and it's wahala but anyways this is my own space 🌝.
Now sincerely, why do people act surprised if they see you are you are Yoruba Lady and look pretty according to them ( I think beauty is subjective)
The reason for this is, not once not twice have people asked me if I'm really Yoruba.. Like?? It's a little flustering and they don't even realize it πŸ˜‚ I don't get it .
I remember when I was working during the strike at a secondary school in Lag, the kids will greet me cheerfully in the morning while smiling saying mistress, you look beautiful today. I'll smile and say thank you o my darlings..it was adorable to hear lol then one day, I overheard some of them arguing that I was ibo, I have an English first name so they couldn't tell. When I entered the class they asked me again, that's when I told them noo I'm not ibo oπŸ˜‚ kids my goodness.. and this have been a pattern, sort of. So this evening again my friends and I were coming from church o someone stopped us to invite us for a program somehow in the middle of convincing..one of us wasn't having it, we were delayed and hungry so he faced her and was like you this geh you are ibo abi.. that's how we faced him and what does he mean and could he tell people's tribe from their face he said yes he could, so we asked him to guess..of course he was wrong my two friends were actually esan and etsako when I told him I'm Yoruba not esan he was like "really but you don't look like one, your smile is so beautiful" thank God he couldn't read my thoughts that moment πŸ˜…
I really didn't find it flattering, another stereotypical being. I'm full blooded Yoruba and pretty decent looking, not exceptional I don't get why people, not all though, expect to see something else... I have very beautiful friends, and siblings back at home, and even the little ones I meet here all look good. So why that reaction all the time? I'm not a stereotypical person and I love adventure, learning new things, new languages and cultures that's why I find it is really off putting when I meet narrow minded people. shocked
Besides our mostly dark skin, I don't think there's any truth in the belief that if you are a Yoruba lady you are not supposed to look pretty😀..it's wrong guys, dark skin is not a bad thing,I actually love it, I love being a dark skinned girl, fair skin is also pretty but it's should not be the standard for beauty.
We move.
The truth is, beautiful and ugly people are found everywhere just as we have rich and poor in all tribes and races too, but the bitter truth is that due to genetic factors, some race or tribe are more physically endowed than others.

Can you compare the Chinese with Arabs when it comes to physical beauty? No. But still, we have beautiful people among Chinese but in generality, Arabs have far more good looking people than Chinese. Even among the Asians with almost similar gene, The Filipinos look far cuter than other Asians like Chinese. Same with Malaysians, etc.

So yes there are beautiful and handsome people in Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Efik, Ibibio, Fulani, Idoma, Bini, Ijaw, etc tribes but there seems to be far more handsome and beautiful looking people among the Igbos than other tribes, these things has to do with genetics, cultural practice, food, etc.

If you check the Igbos very well, they eat vegetables and leafy foods a lot, it forms majority of their diet, and couple with other genetic factors which could be the reason they produce more good looking people than other tribes.

If you check Yoruba food menu, they enjoy oily foods and plenty oil in their meal, coupled with meat. The result of this is that Yoruba women usually have fleshy buttocks because the excess fat from their oil rich diets gets stored around their bombom. Same cultural diet make Fulanis and Hausas very slim and slender with pretty cheeky face.

Dear pretty Miss op, don't let it disturb you, it is a natural human nature to engage in fallacy of hasty generalizations based on some facts. But I tell you, Yoruba men and other tribes men know this and that is part of the reason they try so much to marry an Igbo lady as a wife when they become financially successful, mostly to have good looking children.

If you check on Nairaland, due to the fact that majority of drug trafficking cases in Asia we read here ends up being Igbos, anytime you hear that someone was caught with drugs, the first thing you would assume is that the person must be Igbo. Same way, once we hear a drug trafficking case in Saudi Arabia, we conclude it must be a Yoruba Muslim or an Hausa-Fulani person, and when we hear a ritualist news, we first assume it happened in Ogun or Oyo state.

The world live by generalization fallacies

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by DonXavi(m): 7:58am On May 04, 2023
franchasofficia:
The truth is, beautiful and ugly people are found everywhere just as we have rich and poor in all tribes and races too, but the bitter truth is that due to genetic factors, some race or tribe are more physically endowed than others.

Can you compare the Chinese with Arabs when it comes to physical beauty? No. But still, we have beautiful people among Chinese but in generality, Arabs have far more good looking people than Chinese. Even among the Asians with almost similar gene, The Filipinos look far cuter than other Asians like Chinese. Same with Malaysians, etc.

So yes there are beautiful and handsome people in Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Efik, Ibibio, Fulani, Idoma, Bini, Ijaw, etc tribes but there seems to be far more handsome and beautiful looking people among the Igbos than other tribes, these things has to do with genetics, cultural practice, food, etc.

If you check the Igbos very well, they eat vegetables and leafy foods a lot, it forms majority of their diet, and couple with other genetic factors which could be the reason they produce more good looking people than other tribes.

If you check Yoruba food menu, they enjoy oily foods and plenty oil in their meal, coupled with meat. The result of this is that Yoruba women usually have fleshy buttocks because the excess fat from their oil rich diets gets stored around their bombom. Same cultural diet make Fulanis and Hausas very slim and slender with pretty cheeky face.

Dear pretty Miss op, don't let it disturb you, it is a natural human nature to engage in fallacy of hasty generalizations based on some facts. But I tell you, Yoruba men and other tribes men know this and that is part of the reason they try so much to marry an Igbo lady as a wife when they become financially successful, mostly to have good looking children.

If you check on Nairaland, due to the fact that majority of drug trafficking cases in Asia we read here ends up being Igbos, anytime you hear that someone was caught with drugs, the first thing you would assume is that the person must be Igbo. Same way, once we hear a drug trafficking case in Saudi Arabia, we conclude it must be a Yoruba Muslim or an Hausa-Fulani person, and when we hear a ritualist news, we first assume it happened in Ogun or Oyo state.

The world live by generation fallacies
grin grin grin grin grin Watch and see, this pure TRUTH you just stated here will be attacked by some people who hate the TRUTH and are always happy to wallow in lies even when they know the TRUTH.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 8:01am On May 04, 2023
franchasofficia:

The world live by generation fallacies
Hmm
Alright
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Nobody: 8:04am On May 04, 2023
Op you are suffering from serious mental sickness and inferiority complex.

4 Likes

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by youngsahito(m): 8:06am On May 04, 2023
mizzhathaway:
We move.
maybe you are a fair skin lady because it us generally acceptable to some people that all fair people are Ibos.
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 8:09am On May 04, 2023
JDistribute:
Op you are suffering from serious mental sickness and inferiority complex.
Life is not that serious sir. smiley Take it easy, you'll be fine.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Nobody: 8:10am On May 04, 2023
I understand where you are coming from and honestly I have experienced this several times. The surprising part is it is the Yoruba themselves that ask these questions. grin

4 Likes

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Nobody: 8:10am On May 04, 2023
mizzhathaway:

Life is not that serious sir. smiley Take it easy, you'll be fine.
Am sure you get the point.
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by Macnnoli4(m): 8:12am On May 04, 2023
I was thinking you had fair skin, which was why you were mistaken for Igbo since such mistakes are common, but you have dark skin and now I agree with your confusion.
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 8:13am On May 04, 2023
Why can't some people read things objectively and comprehensively..
This is an anonymous forum and Its just a safe place to rant and discuss petty things and take a break from the real stressful world undecided.
It's not a must to comment anyway

2 Likes

Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 8:15am On May 04, 2023
Persephone1:
I understand where you are coming from and honestly I have experienced several times. The surprising part is it is the Yoruba themselves that ask these questions. grin
Really?πŸ˜ƒ
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 8:16am On May 04, 2023
JDistribute:

Am sure you get the point.
You didn't make any point sir
Sorry for disappointing you.
Re: Is Being Yoruba The Opposite Of Being Beautiful? by mizzhathaway: 8:17am On May 04, 2023
youngsahito:
maybe you are a fair skin lady because it us generally acceptable to some people that all fair people are Ibos.
I'm not o
Which makes it more surprising.
Like I'm supposed to look like an ape?
Funny grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Interracial Dating / Whats The Most Romantic Thing You've Done Or Has Been Done To You? / I'm Not Handsome Yet I Have Numerous Gf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.