Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,777 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court (24265 Views)

Buhari: It Makes No Sense For Oil To Be Cheaper In Nigeria Than Saudi Arabia / Jega, Onaiyekan To Buhari: Nigerians Battling With Double Sufferings / 9 Ex-governors Whose Corruption Cases Are Forgotten (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by nairalandkachy1: 12:10pm On May 04, 2023
“The elections are not over…. I’m still waiting for the courts to tell me who won the election”.

“The court is now on trial.” - Cardinal Onaiyekan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuztI85aFiQ

Cardinal John Onaiyekan, Emeritus Archbishop of the Catholic Diocese of Abuja, on Thursday, said that those who rigged the February 25, 2023, presidential and governorship elections in Nigeria know what they did and God knows them.

Onaiyekan who stated this while featuring on a Channels TV programme, noted that though the courts and tribunals sitting on various election petitions before them may not know those who rigged the elections, he insisted that God knows them and they (election riggers) know themselves.

The cleric also said winners of elections that are being contested in court should not be sworn in until the conclusion of the matter.

“The election is not yet over. There are cases in court that have not been disposed of. That is why we are in an anomalous situation; we have a declared President-elect whose result is being challenged, and the court is handling it.

“I am entitled to take the position that I am still waiting for the court to determine who won the election.

“I am one of those who have been saying that it does not make much sense to swear in people when they are still in court.

“We have to review the election process to ensure we have a winner who will be sworn in and everybody would rally around.

“I can’t understand; I am not a legal man or judge; it is a pity that it is taking too long for the Court to make up their mind on this matter,”
he said.

Bola Tinubu, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress was declared the winner of the presidential election conducted on February 25, 2023.

His victory is being challenged in court by some of his challengers in the election including Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party and Peter Obi of the Labour Party.

Onaiyekan said there are countries that don't want to call and hear the name of God yet they are doing the right thing and organising the affairs of their nations well. He, however, regretted that Nigerians who call on the name of God have refused to follow God's precept to do the right thing.

"You know when you are doing the right thing and when you are doing the bad thing. Those who rigged the election know they rigged the election. Those who didn't allow the people's will to prevail, they know it.

“Those who have heated up the polity, they know it in their heart of heart. The wonderful thing is that God himself know them, we may not know, even the court may not know but God knows them and they know themselves.

"So, the more we mention God, the more we should be on guard not to be found using the name of God in vain. There are countries who don't want to mention God but they are running their affairs well. But if we decide to keep mentioning God, we must run our affairs according to God's will otherwise we end up giving God a bad name. God forbid.

"I am now talking as a Cardinal; I want to ask my fellow countrymen; we should not apologise for the fact that we keep God constantly in our prayers and in our national life. We can't throw God away. That means we must run our affairs and live our lives according to God's will and we cannot pretend we don't know what God wants from all of us."

https://saharareporters.com/2023/05/04/it-doesnt-make-sense-swear-tinubu-others-whose-victories-are-being-challenged-court-yet

92 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 04, 2023
Mtcheww. These ones have all left God's work and have turned politicians, one of them even won governorship election in Benue state. Let's continue to deceive ourselves in this life while our truth remains with God

93 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by ovieigho(m): 12:17pm On May 04, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
Mtcheww. These ones have all left God's work and have turned politicians, one of them even won governorship election in Benue state. Let's continue to deceive ourselves in this life while our truth remains with God

When they speak the truth you’ll say they left the work of God

But your politicans can go ahead and hire fake bishops to political gatherings

418 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 04, 2023
ovieigho:

When they speak the truth you’ll say they left the work of God

Their truth is no truth, real truth have left the surface of the earth because of people like him and other religious leaders who are supposed to be upholders of truth

58 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by socialmediaman: 12:20pm On May 04, 2023
Daylight robbery on Nigerians by a few "dirty" politicians and their online and offline thugs

171 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by thesicilian: 12:21pm On May 04, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
He was never called by God. The work most of them do is for personal enrichment and God has used this election to embarrass most of them and their fake prophecies.

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by yarimo(m): 12:23pm On May 04, 2023
ONAIYEKAN don't worry obi won't ask for refund of his bribe to Christian association of Nigeria CAN for endorsement

53 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Parachoko: 12:24pm On May 04, 2023
Cardinal Onaiyekan should b enough know that is how things have always been.

This his comment is not necessary

It's so funny that people like Cardinal Onaiyekan said nothing about this issue when the electoral law was been amended.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Penguin2: 12:25pm On May 04, 2023
yarimo:
ONAIYEKAN don't worry obi won't ask for refund of his bribe to Christian association of Nigeria CAN for endorsement

So pathetic of you to think that Onaiyekan, a Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, would be induced to do anything.

I’m sure you think that it’s every old man that sells their honour for a pot of porridge like Soyinka and Pa Fasoranti😏.

You people are lucky that the Catholic Church in Nigeria are docile and quiet. If they have ever flexed their muscle and used their influence, this country won’t be standing by now.

174 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by drlateef: 12:28pm On May 04, 2023
nairalandkachy1:
“The elections are not over…. I’m still waiting for the courts to tell me who won the election”.

“The court is now on trial.” - Cardinal Onaiyekan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuztI85aFiQ

https://saharareporters.com/2023/05/04/it-doesnt-make-sense-swear-tinubu-others-whose-victories-are-being-challenged-court-yet

Nlfpmod Mynd44

He should go and stop them from swearing him in. Shameless man of devil. You have no evidence of rigging, but because you hate him, you say all the nonsense.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Parachoko: 12:30pm On May 04, 2023
drlateef:

He should go and stop them from swearing him in. Shameless man of devil. You have no evidence of rigging, but because you hate him, you say all the nonsense.
He should be writing to the lawmaker representing him so that the electoral law will take care of the issue he's talking about

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by trutharena: 12:41pm On May 04, 2023
Lol Onaiyekan is pained that his fellow Catholic supposedly church candidate lost fair and square.

No one rigged any election. Bola Tinubu won fair and square.

All the fake prophecy and threats by the religious bigots asking church to take back their country fell flat.

I so like it when these men wail, it shows how Asiwaju victory made his enemies bitter and irrational

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Penguin2: 12:42pm On May 04, 2023
Parachoko:
Cardinal Onaiyekan is a clown who do not know there's a laid down law about the issue is making an ignorant comment about.

He should be crying to the lawmaker representing him so that the electoral law will take care of the issue he's crying about

Unfortunately you are the one guilty of what you are accusing Onaiyekan of.

That the current law says the first court of instance must not exceed 6 months in an electoral matter, does it mean it is illegal if the case is decided within one week? Not to talk one month?

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by seunmsg(m): 12:44pm On May 04, 2023
It makes no sense to call a victorious candidate a rigger when the case is still in court and a decision has not been made. Ordinarily, one would expect an Onaiyekan to know this but he’s an obedient so common sense is not application when analyzing issues. Just reason based on hatred for the president- elect and religious sentiments.

All presidential elections since 1999 have been disputed except that of 2015 and there was no time Onaiyekan or anyone else called for the winners not to be sworn-in based on the disputes and claims of rigging. Not even the fraudulent 2007 election. So, what’s now different?

41 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Herdsmen: 12:47pm On May 04, 2023
Yoruba Apc people will abuse God’s servant over a statement … feared that he’s referring to their daddy druggie asiwaju

Over 50 elections petitions … yet at the mere mention of the word petition … instant cold and fever go just come on them.. some seizures..

… not to mention presidential election petitions.. they forcefully release a venom of insult and curses..

All na fear of what’s coming …

If peradventure tinubu finally returns that stolen document

Walahi Allah.. there will be massive suicide in Yoruba southwest Nigeria

This is not a joke ….

59 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Mitchy49(m): 12:48pm On May 04, 2023
Honestly. In saner climes, the president elect cannot be sworn in until after the trial in law court. An interim Govt should take charge after the expiration of Bubus tenure.

Who can please in Jehovah's name, help me with 4k? I am so sorry for bothering you guys and am not trying to mounting presumes in you, I sincerely need this help pls. Thank you and God bless

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Legitisreal: 12:48pm On May 04, 2023
What I would say is Christian's should be wise

This nzogbu nzogbu style was forced on us by ipob.

Do you know that atleast 40% christians voted tinubu and 30%+ Christian's voted atiku

Christian's are not lossers, these mob want to force this obi L as Christian L

See how clergy are making a mess of themselves thinking it's Christianity they are representing

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Robinmido(m): 12:49pm On May 04, 2023
He no call person name ooooo but you don dey fear
IyaebeTheGreat:

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Burruchaga71(m): 1:04pm On May 04, 2023
Tinubu should never be swear inn or we set this country ablaze.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Obakoolex(m): 1:06pm On May 04, 2023
I don't know why all this religious head are pained of Tinubu emergence.
Like in my church and every other churches I believe we prayed for God to bless us with a leader of his own mind...... now Tinubu won hands down they are still complaining.

Do you think God can be rigged
If because Obi is a Christian makes you believe he's God chosen then you are an ignoramus.

The matter is in court, but nothing will stop Tinubu swearing in come 29th.

MOGs should stop acting God!

All what we want is a good governance and I pray the good lord will change Nigeria from worse to better.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by AndroBlaze: 1:13pm On May 04, 2023
seunmsg:
It makes no sense to call a victorious candidate a rigger when the case is still in court and a decision has not been made. Ordinarily, one would expect an Onaiyekan to know this but he’s an obedient so common sense is not application when analyzing issues. Just reason based on hatred for the president- elect and religious sentiments.

All presidential elections since 1999 have been disputed except that of 2015 and there was no time Onaiyekan or anyone else called for the winners not to be sworn-in based on the disputes and claims of rigging. Not even the fraudulent 2007 election. So, what’s now different?

GBAM!!

Look at the way a prince of the Catholic church is behaving

The clergy have really turned our religion into a laughing stock now. The common law (which is mostly based on the bible and Jesus teachings ) says you are innocent till proven guilty but because their candidate lost, they have reversed his teachings and turned it the other way round.

I mean how can any true MOG support a politician over another one because you said he "rigged", is he trying to say Obi and LP did not rig even one ballot box in this country?? These are the same people who will disturb us on Sunday morning and preach about how Jesus dealt with the adulterer and the "saints" that wanted to stone her....it is clear these so called MOG do not fear their maker a bit!!!

May the Good Lord judge them the way they deserve.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Obakoolex(m): 1:13pm On May 04, 2023
Burruchaga71:
Tinubu should never be swear inn or we set this country ablaze.
You can start with your family house if you have any undecided
Blaze it up in flames

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Parachoko: 1:34pm On May 04, 2023
Penguin2:

Unfortunately you are the one guilty of what you are accusing Onaiyekan of.

That the current law says the first court of instance must not exceed 6 months in an electoral matter, does it mean it is illegal if the case is decided within one week? Not to talk one month?
Only clowns like you and Oyeikan will feel such a case can be concluded within a week.

None of you said "pim" about this issue when the Electoral law was been worked on, in fact, una dey rejoice because una think it will affect Asiwaju, una dey shed tears because your candidate lost a free and fair election now

Elections have been holding before, people going to court have not stop the winners from been sworn in.

Asiwaju will become the president on May 29, nothing will stop it.

The case at the tribunal will be decided within 180 days. The process won't be fast tracked because your candidate lost the election.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by PARADIZEPRIEST: 1:36pm On May 04, 2023
TRUTH REMAINS INDELIBLE. unfortunately politrickcians have destroyed virtues and infused the impatient youths with hallucinations of fake victotries,scam defeats and useless brains. angry

5 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by VinnyBaba: 1:47pm On May 04, 2023
God Bless Cardinal Onaiyekan
God Bless Ibioyiomie
God Bless Paul Enenche
God Bless Bishop David Oyedepo. 😊😎

The Grand plan of this Devilish APC Party and Power Holders of Nigeria
is to Ensure no CHRISTIAN Person becomes President. embarassed 😒

Dats why When we have Christian Presidents like
Jonathan
Obasanjo
They gave them too much Headaches. sad

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by limeta(f): 1:48pm On May 04, 2023
yarimo:

We saying the same thing
That a 54 years old bandit married a six years old girl and then call himself a prophet
What you think .Yarimo.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Christistruth02: 1:50pm On May 04, 2023

1 Like

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by JagabanBorgu: 1:51pm On May 04, 2023
Bûhari Ióst thrice, he went to coûrt, OBJ was sworn in, he was in coûrt, Yar'Adua was sworn in, he was also in coûrt, Jonathan was sworn in.
Atiku was in coûrt, Buhari was sworn in for a second term.
The 2007 eIectîón is d móst cóñtroversial eIectîón on d surface of this earth, but they aII kept quiet then.
Tryiñg so hard to fórcè Obi on us wón't work.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Christistruth02: 1:51pm On May 04, 2023
VinnyBaba:

God Bless Ibioyiomie
God Bless Paul Enenche

Jonathan
Obasanjo

You didn’t list a single Genuine Man of God

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Christistruth02: 1:52pm On May 04, 2023
VinnyBaba:

God Bless Ibioyiomie
God Bless Paul Enenche

Jonathan
Obasanjo

You didn’t list a single Genuine Man of God
Only the ones with Scandals

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by Racoon(m): 1:53pm On May 04, 2023
See the apostles of the mandate criminal as usual demonising a man that told them the truth they don't want to hear. This 2023 election really jolt my reality to how hopeless it is salvaging Nigeria is with evil and corrupt politicians rooting for a continuation of fhe old order.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan: It Makes No Sense To Swear In 'riggers' Whose Cases Are In Court by JagabanBorgu: 1:54pm On May 04, 2023
Herdsmen:
Yoruba Apc people will abuse God’s servant over a statement … feared that he’s referring to their daddy druggie asiwaju

Over 50 elections petitions … yet at the mere mention of the word petition … instant cold and fever go just come on them.. some seizures..

… not to mention presidential election petitions.. they forcefully release a venom of insult and curses..

All na fear of what’s coming …

If peradventure tinubu finally returns that stolen document

Walahi Allah.. their will be massive suicide in Yoruba southwest Nigeria

This is not a joke ….
U aII taIked about this féãr before d elections.
Where are u now?

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage / Denola Seriki Is Dead! Nigeria's Ambassador To Spain Dies At 63 / Senator Sylvester Ayodele Arise Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.