Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage (24266 Views)

Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Abati Is A Product Of Same-Sex Marriage” – Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Decapo: 5:24pm On May 30, 2013
The House of Representatives on Thursday approved 14 years imprisonment for persons who contracted same sex marriage in the country.

This was sequel to a clause-by-clause consideration of a Bill for an Act to prohibit marriage or union entered between persons of same sex, at the Committee of the Whole.

“Marriage or civil union entered between persons of same gender shall not be solemnised in any place of worship, either church or mosque or any place in Nigeria,” it said.

Introducing the bill, Rep. Albert Sam-Tsokwa ( PDP-Taraba) said that it sought to achieve a far reaching objective by outlawing same sex marriage and provide punishment for offenders.

It also set out a 10-year sentence for “any person who directly or indirectly makes public show of same-sex amorous relationships’’.

“Any persons or group of persons that administers, witnesses, screen and shields the solemnisation of same sex marriage in Nigeria on conviction, will be liable to 10 years imprisonment.’’

It would be recalled also that the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, had warned that his country would consider withholding aid from countries that did not recognise gay rights.

In Nov. 2011, the senate approved the bill that would make same-sex marriages punishable by up to 14 years for the couple and 10 for anyone abetting such unions.

The bill is expected to be sent to the Senate for concurrence. (NAN)http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/reps-approve-14-years-imprisonment-for-same-sex-marriage/

18 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:33pm On May 30, 2013
Too late. The world has gone far too gay for Nigeria to do anything about it. Wait till they start giving state banquet and reception to foreign gay presidents and dignitaries. Na so arab people misbehave with anti-women law and US sent them a female secretary of state, Madeleine Albright. See their people they look them for TV dey bow for Madeleine, dey throw red carpet for her, dey salute her.

16 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Sealeddeal(m): 5:42pm On May 30, 2013
This is just another ploy by Nigeria legislators to cheaply improve their image before the gullible masses.
What about enacting laws that will serve the best interest of common Nigerians.There has never been gay marriage in Nigeria or any attempt to do so and this law remains irrelevant.Nigerians need laws that will ultimately imprison the present and past govt officials because they are all criminals.

66 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by konn: 6:04pm On May 30, 2013

3 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by claremont(m): 6:04pm On May 30, 2013
Misplacement of priorities.

Why didn't they approve a 14 year compulsory jail sentence for corruption?! Bunch of thieves!

35 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 30, 2013
Lobatan!
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by firstolalekan(m): 6:05pm On May 30, 2013
chaii!!!

I dey gbadun una somtaims. This is the best thing u ppl have done since 1999...

[size=18pt]Lesbian boy, Mr Gay, etc.[/size] beware angry tongue tongue tongue

9 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Sanboy25: 6:05pm On May 30, 2013

That's plenty years !
I hope they will also increase the time spent in Jail for:
Murders, R/apes, Wife Beating...
and all these important things!

7 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by tunapawizzy: 6:06pm On May 30, 2013
[size=14pt]WHY NOW NA WHO DEM OFFEND.....EVEN IF ITS A SIN WHY CRUCIFY THEM BECAUSE THEY SIN DIFFERENTLY FROM US[/size]

7 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by nep2ra(m): 6:08pm On May 30, 2013
No serious commitment to punishing official corruption among political office holders. Bunch of hypocrites!

8 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by tempest01(m): 6:08pm On May 30, 2013
Waiting for the west to start condemnation

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by searay(m): 6:08pm On May 30, 2013
Pim pimmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Comot for road mek I pass

2 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Lilimax(f): 6:08pm On May 30, 2013
Good. Gays and Lesbians out there be warned.
Kirikiri maximum prison awaits you if you ever try solemnizing your relationship.
Dancing galala shocked

14 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 30, 2013
14 years? too light. it should be DEATH PENALTY. those mentally deranged should either practice their god-forsaking act in europe/america or be ready to DIE in Nigeria. I barcanista will without hesitation mobilize youths to lynch and set ablaze any person or group of persons that publicly practice or advocates or sympathise with homosexuality in my area or environs. God bless Nigeria

26 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by INFO70: 6:10pm On May 30, 2013
This is a good job done. Enough of copying of stupid Western culture.

11 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by ozodigboo(m): 6:13pm On May 30, 2013
Rubbish .
With everything going wrong in Naija [ corruption, power failure, Boko Haram etc ] they go to debate same-sex marriage ?
If our next president is gay, but organizes our country to European standards, I WILL SUPPORT HIM !
SMH at misplacement of priorities.

13 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Adonike(m): 6:14pm On May 30, 2013
Two more years should be added. Pls..

2 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by simplemach(m): 6:15pm On May 30, 2013
for gooness sake, me i neva understand wetin those people see for dat same sex thing o. How my fellow man want take com meet me say him him love me, or carry strong mouth come say make i kiss or even carry him stick come scatter my s*h*i*t box. SMH......!

2 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 30, 2013
tempest01: Waiting for the west to start condemnation
Make them talk na them get their mouth but NOTHING can change our stand. HOMOSEXUALITY is not welcomed in Nigeria.QED

11 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Inik(m): 6:16pm On May 30, 2013
Good one by the House of reps members. Nigeria is no place for gays and lesbians, we will always stick to our traditional African values and culture.

12 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by SlyIg(f): 6:16pm On May 30, 2013
Waiting for Kemi Olunloyo aka Madam Governor to give out her own side of the story!

After same sex marriage punishment, lets move into the punishment for corruption pls.

6 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:17pm On May 30, 2013
Good move. Nigerian culture is not part of the whiteman's lesbo/gay ish.

4 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 30, 2013
Last time I checked, gay relationships were still going on underground, and secret gay clubs still existed across the country.

If the lawmakers think this changes a damn thing, they're seriously deluded. Heck, there may even be closet homos among them.

Meanwhile, what's up with the PIB?

6 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 30, 2013
I love watching Lesbo sisters live and love the 3-some enjoyables in the comfort of my home, I hope no one will send me to kirikiri for 10yrs, no be marriage na, nah just jollification of my youth after too much of hard work.

4 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 30, 2013
ozodigboo: Rubbish .
With everything going wrong in Naija [ corruption, power failure, Boko Haram etc ] they go to debate same-sex marriage ?
If our next president is gay, but organizes our country to European standards, I WILL SUPPORT HIM !
SMH at misplacement of priorities.
Mr Gay, for your info, NO homosexual can become Nigeria's President. The moment he tries it, he will LOSE. If he is incumbent we shall force him out and JAIL him-that is if we didn't lynch and Kill him

13 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by justwise(m): 6:20pm On May 30, 2013
Rubbish, toothless law, this law is as useless as those who passed

Being Gay not against the law in Nigeria, what is against the law is same sex marriage and public display of affection by Gay people.
Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Lenny5000(m): 6:21pm On May 30, 2013
Sealeddeal: This is just another ploy by Nigeria legislators to cheaply improve their image before the gullible masses.
What about enacting laws that will serve the best interest of common Nigerians.There has never been gay marriage in Nigeria or any attempt to do so and this law remains irrelevant.Nigerians need laws that will ultimately imprison the present and past govt officials because they are all criminals.

One of the Best post on Nairaland!! Bless

1 Like

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by a1solution: 6:21pm On May 30, 2013
[size=14pt]they should pass a law prohibiting PHCN from seizing light[/size]

10 Likes

Re: 14 Years Imprisonment Approved For Same-Sex Marriage by Lilimax(f): 6:21pm On May 30, 2013
barcanista: Mr Gay, for your info, NO homosexual can become Nigeria's President. The moment he tries it, he will LOSE. If he is incumbent we shall force him out and JAIL him-that is if we didn't lynch and Kill him
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Army Report: Senior Military Officers Denied US, UK Visas Over Rights Abuses / Bayelsa: Supreme Court Hears Application For Review Of Judgment Sacking Lyon / Denola Seriki Is Dead! Nigeria's Ambassador To Spain Dies At 63

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.