Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,532 members, 7,816,300 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic (21444 Views)

What Car Is The Most Popular For Women In Nigeria? / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) / How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by kissval1388: 2:39pm On May 07, 2023
Emmastan291:
A 2002 Toyota Camry while we dey 2023.....

Sell the car or consult a good Car Mechanic in regard to what you can do

Ahahahahahahahahahahhaah guy stop na
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by sukkot: 2:43pm On May 07, 2023
Originalsly:
Of the car ran good for 2 to 3 months then it was fairly good. If it really had problems they wouldn't remain hidden for more than a week driving before they start popping up one after the other. I see your problem here first caused by you.... and made worse by the mechanic. Overheating.... most likely.... water in the radiator and was not topped up regularly.... ran low and the engine overheated. Took it to the Kazeem and he did what they do ..... overheating?.... thermostat must be removed and the rest is history. The amount of short cuts on that engine will give any good mechanic headache to correct and you will pay dearly. My advice .... stop pouring money into it..... save and get a new engine... preferably import or from a certified mechanic. Use coolant and not water. 2002 Camry engine is a beast .... but there isn't a beast that Kazeems can't kill.
listen this issue of thermostat removal is overly stated by you guys. Now I would not recommend it in cold wintery countries but it's never a problem in hot countries. So what does a thermostat do ? It makes sure the car attains the minimum operating temperature required for your car to operate optimally and it does this by closing up and when that temperature is attained it opens up to let the fan blow out the hot air. So once that optimal temperature is reached there is no way it is ever coming down meteoric ally in a hot country but I can see the possibility in a wintery country. And so once that operational temperTure has being reached the function of the thermostat is useless in a hot country like Nigeria. However the only problem I see here is that it would take your car longer to get to that operational temperature without a thermostat. That's the only problem of not having A thermostAt in a hot country but that is a simple solution, just allow the car to idle for like 5 minutes to get to it's operational temperature before driving it. It is an inconvenience especially if the inside of the car is very hot to sit in it and let it idle for 5 minutes. But a better solution is to have a thermostat but not having it in hot Africa is not the problem you guys make it out to be. Like I said earlier you just have to let it idle longer before driving

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by hardbody: 2:45pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:
I bought a 2002 Toyota Camry as my first car in October and for the first 2-3 months the car performed pretty well.

However lately, from January it has been one problem to the other.

From overheating to coil problem to spark plug problem and others.

The recent issue with the car is that the car doesn’t hold slow anymore.

That is the car goes off at slow speeds. I’ve changed coil, changed spark plug, ringed engine twice all to no avail.

This has caused a huge hole in my pocket as I’ve even had to borrow to pay for some of these repairs.

Just yesterday in a bid to resolve this issue, I took the car to another mechanic and he told me my engine block had washed and that even if he grinded the valve the holding slow issue won’t stop. I inquired about the cost of replacing the block and purchase alone was close to a 100 thousand. I’m just tired and frustrated, I need advise, do I sell the car or do I repair this?

Is this mechanic trying to extort me. Experience car users please advise

So you want to sell a problem to some other person abi? You sef think am.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by frozen70(f): 2:52pm On May 07, 2023
hardbody:

So you want to sell a problem to some other person abi? You sef think am.
Labragadaya:
I bought a 2002 Toyota Camry as my first car in October and for the first 2-3 months the car performed pretty well.

That is the car goes off at slow speeds. I’ve changed coil, changed spark plug, ringed engine twice all to no avail.

This has caused a huge hole in my pocket as I’ve even had to borrow to pay for some of these repairs.

Just yesterday in a bid to resolve this issue, I took the car to another mechanic and he told me my engine block had washed and that even if he grinded the valve the holding slow issue won’t stop. I inquired about the cost of replacing the block and purchase alone was close to a 100 thousand. I’m just tired and frustrated, I need advise, do I sell the car or do I repair this?

I want to believe that you bought a Nigeria used car which the owner refurbished and sell off because of its constant problem

Now he really worked on it and that was why you used it for that few periods without problems and now the real problem is coming out

The best option for you is to sell the car so that you can have peace yet save all the money you are spending with mechanics

Pls prepare well and buy a small foreign used car that will stand the taste of time

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by kripen(m): 2:53pm On May 07, 2023
EPIJOE:
Op so sorry for the losses. That particular brand of car seems to be one of Toyotas problematic cars in terms of engine performance and ageing.

That brand engine is always having issues with tapet valves, oil shortage and the fuel line.

To resolve the fuel line, someone gave a very good advice earlier. Always let your car run in less quarter fuel. Don't let your fuel be anything less than quarter tanks. Before you refuel. Driving a car with fuel lights on. Is a bad practice except for emergency.

The fuel pump could overheat and blow out the fuse once it's low.

Op kindly remove the tank clean the tank
Get a direct good fuel pump v6 or v 8 pump.
And buy a direct Belgium engine, this would solve your problems.

Don't forget to scan the vehicle afterwards. Get a reliable Toyota experts. Not all this street ochins

True talk the 2002 model

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by deavicky(m): 2:55pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

you had already started the race so u can five up half way. Just buy tokunbo engine and have small peace.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by ukandi1(m): 3:02pm On May 07, 2023
helinues:
Change your mechanic.

Some of them are opportunists

Same thing I was going to advise.

His mechanic is not knowledgeable enough
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Birniwa(m): 3:03pm On May 07, 2023
Don't sell the car, like for others what you'd like for yourself. So I repeat, do not sell the with that problem!

Change the entire engine if you can afford that. If you can't afford a new engine for now, ground the car until when you can and continue to use public transport in the mean time.

Life's really simple!

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by NwaliE01: 3:04pm On May 07, 2023
The problem is not with mechanics. The problem is poverty.
Have money and see if you will visit mechanic for the rest of your life.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Godgeteye: 3:06pm On May 07, 2023
Just change ur engine and buy new fuel pump simple and thank me later
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by EgunMogaji2: 3:13pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

Remove your car from that mechanic and give it a good wash. Check underneath the seats and trunk very well.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by mkoabiola: 3:19pm On May 07, 2023
If u buy d car with stolen money or fraud.
Na wetin u go de experience b dat

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by baba4thegehs: 3:23pm On May 07, 2023
Coldplay007:

You spoilt your car yourself, that overheating you just smoothly glossed over is what has caused the issues.
buy a new engine if you want to enjoy your car.

This was the same thing my mechanic told me like a month ago, he said the gasket needs to be replace.

Almost 2 months later I haven't done anything, the over heating stopped, I just maintain regular check of the water level and top it up, I still use my AC and all.

If you have a good mechanic omo make sure you stay with him

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by RapistOnBail: 3:30pm On May 07, 2023
martyns303:
I can understand, the problem is our mechanics. Even with your money you can’t get good service, and if you are able to get good service be advice 95% of all parts in Nigeria are China, not the original from the car manufacturer. So within a few months the part would have packed up. I drive a Benz, I have the money but to get good service is a problem, I have now resorted to ordering the parts from abroad, expensive, but at least I have peace of mind. Car generally is expensive to maintain.
Where can I order BMW parts online pls?
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by basadenet: 3:31pm On May 07, 2023
Seek deliverance for the car.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by fm7070: 3:32pm On May 07, 2023
@OP,
Your car does not have a major problem. Remove that old problematic engine and buy a tokunbo engine. It is cheaper at the long run.
The poor pay more.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by zolajpower: 3:34pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

If u live in Lagos I Ve a mechanic that I was introduced to by my brother who is based in Canada .
The guy knows is job , I once had that slow problem but he was able to fix it . His workshop is in ilupeju Lagos . I can send u his contact so you can't talk to him
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Petacephas: 3:47pm On May 07, 2023
If you can't replace the engine completely, sell the car and keep your money when you have good money, buy another better one cos car is a necessity
Labragadaya:

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by nwadyke2001(m): 3:57pm On May 07, 2023
The best thing you can do is to change complete engine which will cost you about #250,000 we no longer have good repair mechanics
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by KehindeOmololu: 4:06pm On May 07, 2023
Change your mechanic to another mechanic but make sure both of them don't know each other...
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 07, 2023
In my life I will never buy a Naija used car again, never ever.
The useless Honda car I bought last year crippled my finance and turn me to a berger today. Change this change that, buy this and that also did driver licence.

Right now I'm hungry and angry with Buhari government. Thunder fire his household

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Teeklef(m): 4:31pm On May 07, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hmmm

And the funny thing is that you are even planning on selling it and people here are even advising you to sell it

Oh lord people are wicked

So who be the idiot you want make he buy and inherits this problem
Damn nigga!!! Abeg no kill me oh
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Aaaaarghmed(m): 4:34pm On May 07, 2023
Sell it,or butcher it as scrap.Na old car ,their problem no dey finish
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

I don't see any issue that needs money to be solved here. The car goes off when you run its speed slow, ONLY WHEN YOU'RE RUNNING IT SLOW? You need to run on medium to top speed most time or all the time.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by AbuAeesha: 4:40pm On May 07, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hmmm

And the funny thing is that you are even planning on selling it and people here are even advising you to sell it

On a serious note,
Do you expect him to keep the car at home for asthetic purpose 😂
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Abbey2sam(m): 4:50pm On May 07, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hmmm

But some who can afford to put a new engine can buy it
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Chuknovski(m): 4:52pm On May 07, 2023
Op what state are you?
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by McLizbae: 4:56pm On May 07, 2023
Those oldies are the best in terms of maintenance bro. They are less complex compare to the modern computer cars, and the techs is well understood by experienced mechanics even in Nigeria. With an experienced mechanic, they will leave you with less or no stress at all.
Emmastan291:
A 2002 Toyota Camry while we dey 2023.....

Sell the car or consult a good Car Mechanic in regard to what you can do

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Anonymoususher: 5:06pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

Put that car up for sale and within a week you will sell it almost same amount you bought it.

That car engine is going and the more you spend on it the more you will keep spending.

Cars are expensive now especially Toyota products.

State the problem with the car and put the price you go sell am.

Because once u fix that stuff next engine go pack up.

I Don sha advice my own
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Deeprooted: 5:45pm On May 07, 2023
Flowers the money for she her him but and too
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Marpol: 6:12pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

The car was manufactured 21years ago! If not for how things are in Naija, that car should be resting in a museum somewhere.

To get it to work optimally you might need to change a lot of things with new genuine parts and not tokunbo.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by sharpchap: 6:12pm On May 07, 2023
Yhemzie:
I once had this issue with the same car. My rewire scanned the car and told me the accelerator pedal was bad, we ordered for new pedal and the issue got fixed. He also warned that on no condition should I allow any mechanic to manually adjust the slow of my car, that it's automatic and it resets itself automatically because big daddy has an issue with slow anytime the battery terminals are removed.

I GIVE YOU 100%

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving / 10 Incredible Parking Fails You Can’t Pull Off No Matter How Hard You Try (photo / Let’s Laugh Together And Also Learn From My Funny Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.