Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic (21445 Views)

What Car Is The Most Popular For Women In Nigeria? / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) / How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by InvertedHammer: 6:19pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:
I bought a 2002 Toyota Camry as my first car in October and for the first 2-3 months the car performed pretty well.

However lately, from January it has been one problem to the other.

From overheating to coil problem to spark plug problem and others.

The recent issue with the car is that the car doesn’t hold slow anymore.

That is the car goes off at slow speeds. I’ve changed coil, changed spark plug, ringed engine twice all to no avail.

This has caused a huge hole in my pocket as I’ve even had to borrow to pay for some of these repairs.

Just yesterday in a bid to resolve this issue, I took the car to another mechanic and he told me my engine block had washed and that even if he grinded the valve the holding slow issue won’t stop. I inquired about the cost of replacing the block and purchase alone was close to a 100 thousand. I’m just tired and frustrated, I need advise, do I sell the car or do I repair this?

Is this mechanic trying to extort me. Experience car users please advise
/
It is difficult to say. With Nigerian mechanics anything goes because there is no way to certify their expertise. It is always an expensive gamble.

I spent about N55k trying to fix poor acceleration problem to no avail. It took only N3k for one Calabar mechanic to fix it finally. Sometimes it is not just the cost. You may end up spending thousands buying parts while the solution to the problem could be just minor adjustment.

/

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by EnterpriseMan: 6:50pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:
I bought a 2002 Toyota Camry as my first car in October and for the first 2-3 months the car performed pretty well.

That is the car goes off at slow speeds. I’ve changed coil, changed spark plug, ringed engine twice all to no avail.

This has caused a huge hole in my pocket as I’ve even had to borrow to pay for some of these repairs.

Just yesterday in a bid to resolve this issue, I took the car to another mechanic and he told me my engine block had washed and that even if he grinded the valve the holding slow issue won’t stop. I inquired about the cost of replacing the block and purchase alone was close to a 100 thousand. I’m just tired and frustrated, I need advise, do I sell the car or do I repair this?

First stop going from mechanic to mechanic, that's the greatest mistake alot of people make, find a high standard auto shop, get a complete diagnosis, any parts you're changing always go for brand new ones and never listen to the idiots that always say tokumbo is better.

First thing i would advise you is take your car away from the mechanic and go to a complete garage and get a complete car diagnostics, from there you should know how to proceed.

Most of these road side mechanics work on assumptions and mostly just try to choke as much money out of you and end up creating problems out of thin air.

I would advise you to just get it diagnosed and replace every part that needs changing with brand new original ones, selling it is not really an option with the way car prices are skyrocketing. Its a very valuable asset, so fix and enjoy it

4 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Kaybaba5(m): 6:53pm On May 07, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hmmm

And the funny thing is that you are even planning on selling it and people here are even advising you to sell it

Oh lord people are wicked

So who be the idiot you want make he buy and inherits this problem

I believe it wasn’t your flesh that uttered this…
Tell me how many wraps of weed did u smoke….lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Ashirioluwa: 7:37pm On May 07, 2023
martyns303:
I can understand, the problem is our mechanics. Even with your money you can’t get good service, and if you are able to get good service be advice 95% of all parts in Nigeria are China, not the original from the car manufacturer. So within a few months the part would have packed up. I drive a Benz, I have the money but to get good service is a problem, I have now resorted to ordering the parts from abroad, expensive, but at least I have peace of mind. Car generally is expensive to maintain.

Most people can’t afford the original parts from the manufacturers. Even in the US, most people go for what they call aftermarket parts because they are the ones that are readily available and affordable.

Nothing wrong in using aftermarket parts If our mechanics are sincere, and they know what they’re doing.

What most mechanics are doing here in Nigeria is called trial and error.

3 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Charly68: 7:47pm On May 07, 2023
Change your mechanic first before you can conclude on whether to sell the car . The one handling my car almost ruin my finance before I discovered that he sabi nothing.. I had to change him and since then my car become stable

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by NaijaCover(m): 7:59pm On May 07, 2023
Buy TOYOTA COROLLA And Thank
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by biggz82: 8:31pm On May 07, 2023
If you are in warri contact me i will scan the car for you free of charge.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Jeamillz2020(m): 8:45pm On May 07, 2023
Nigerian girls if you know you know
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by bigl: 10:36pm On May 07, 2023
Labragadaya:

Its most likely your fuel to air ratio sensor ... the one at the right side inside of your bonnet (if u stand facing the engine)....

One silly mecho i should have shot at close range broke the sensor (which works by air being blown into it from the engine) ... this senses load from the engine and either reduces or pumps more fuel into the engine for power .... the silly guy broke it and instead of telling me, gummed and blocked the damn thing .... it costed me another engine when i could have replaced something of N1200 back then .... i bought 80k engine....

Why not scan the damn vehicle sef?

Those mechos can never enter clouds not to talk of heaven

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Originalsly: 10:58pm On May 07, 2023
sukkot:

listen this issue of thermostat removal is overly stated by you guys. Now I would not recommend it in cold wintery countries but it's never a problem in hot countries. So what does a thermostat do ? It makes sure the car attains the minimum operating temperature required for your car to operate optimally and it does this by closing up and when that temperature is attained it opens up to let the fan blow out the hot air. So once that optimal temperature is reached there is no way it is ever coming down meteoric ally in a hot country but I can see the possibility in a wintery country. And so once that operational temperTure has being reached the function of the thermostat is useless in a hot country like Nigeria. However the only problem I see here is that it would take your car longer to get to that operational temperature without a thermostat. That's the only problem of not having A thermostAt in a hot country but that is a simple solution, just allow the car to idle for like 5 minutes to get to it's operational temperature before driving it. It is an inconvenience especially if the inside of the car is very hot to sit in it and let it idle for 5 minutes. But a better solution is to have a thermostat but not having it in hot Africa is not the problem you guys make it out to be. Like I said earlier you just have to let it idle longer before driving

Are you a Kazeem? .... I'm not a mechanic ... but let's reason based on what you're saying.

The thermostat is to help the engine attain minimum operating temperature by remaining closed until the temperature is reached then it opens up to let the fan blow out the hot air.

What happens when it is closed? .... cool air can't get to the engine and slow it from reaching minimun operating temperature? And when it reaches the MOT ... what hot air does the fan blow out?... hot air in the engine bay? ... and where does the fan blow it to?.... is it while the car is speeding along and air is rushing into the engine through the grille that the fan is blowing out hot air into the incoming wind? ... is that the direction your cooling fan blows? ... outwards ? So with all this ... help me understand the purpose of the radiator. According to what you're saying the radiator is useless.
You couldn't possibly be serious with this miseducation.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by abiolag(m): 11:45pm On May 07, 2023
GreatAutos:

I know what the issue is with your car
There’s a switch you need to change
I know this because it happened to my own Toyota Camry with 5s engine

Pls I will like to know d switch that need replacement. Having something similar to this and I’ve applied all recommended options but none worked. I eventually changed brain box as was suggested by my Rewire. The issue was that my RPM usually goes up and down on its own even when d car is on P(Park). It will just be fluctuating on its own. I changed all coil and plug, clean throttle mouth and fuel injector but nothing work except when d brainbox was changed yesterday
I drove it today and seems d car is moving normal until this evening when I noticed the rpm is rising again
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by lendahand(m): 12:38am On May 08, 2023
Yhemzie:
I once had this issue with the same car. My rewire scanned the car and told me the accelerator pedal was bad, we ordered for new pedal and the issue got fixed. He also warned that on no condition should I allow any mechanic to manually adjust the slow of my car, that it's automatic and it resets itself automatically because big daddy has an issue with slow anytime the battery terminals are removed.
he's talking about envelope not big daddy
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by IntelligentGoat: 3:38am On May 08, 2023
grin
Believe me.
The mechanics have to tune the engine that's all.
So that when you stop at traffic or move slow it won't go off. I had same experience until it was tuned and it stopped.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Yhemzie(m): 6:38am On May 08, 2023
lendahand:
he's talking about envelope not big daddy
Any toyota camry model from 2002-2006 is big daddy, go make your findings.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Psoul(m): 7:33am On May 08, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Hmmm

And the funny thing is that you are even planning on selling it and people here are even advising you to sell it

Oh lord people are wicked

So who be the idiot you want make he buy and inherits this problem

Guy, where have you been?
I was worried oo.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Dwightventures(m): 8:24am On May 08, 2023
ipobarecriminals:
sad some of those idiots mechanic are out to squeeze /dig hole inside your pocket.i guess you bought this car from another Naija fellow. It is Wickedness to sell problem to another man. Contact Gazzuz for necessary assistance

It is the standard Nigerian way, and God save you to criticise them for it. This same car now, when they want to sell it they will advertise as "very good condition". Anything they admit wrong with it is a thing everybody would be able to see easily.

After they will tell me they're not a wicked nation. I know this country very well and that's why they hate me.

Anyway, trust me: a lot of problems cars face in Nigeria are both mechanic incompetence AND user stupidity and total ignorance. They said the car was running well for a period after initial purchase. Cars don't behave themselves just to change owners. Maybe the latest owners did something wrong. I have a LOT of experience. I'm using a 32 year old car for the past 5 years now and I don't have a mechanic and the car has never broken down on the road (I have had issues but they were sorted out and moved on). I do have vast technical knowledge but the most important which any car owner should have is knowledge how their car works for proper diagnosis when incidents arise. Mechanics can carry out specific tasks (which they don't even do very well), but they're not the most intelligent bunch in society to make a correct diagnosis of a problem

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by millstone(m): 10:35am On May 08, 2023
I won't advise you to sell the car to an innocent man. My last two cars were naija used and i saw shege. Better turn that car to a cab now
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by GreatAutos(m): 7:33pm On May 08, 2023
abiolag:

Pls I will like to know d switch that need replacement. Having something similar to this and I’ve applied all recommended options but none worked. I eventually changed brain box as was suggested by my Rewire. The issue was that my RPM usually goes up and down on its own even when d car is on P(Park). It will just be fluctuating on its own. I changed all coil and plug, clean throttle mouth and fuel injector but nothing work except when d brainbox was changed yesterday
I drove it today and seems d car is moving normal until this evening when I noticed the rpm is rising again

Text me please
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by shereef19: 1:57pm On May 09, 2023
U b my G let anybody say anything... U will never hate ur car for this action.
That's y when people one car one car no good ask them how have they handle d car
No car manufacturer will product car that will disappoint the own...

Iamicekid:

Na me be this, I don’t ever let my car stay for mechanic shop without me been present, if my car develops fault during the week I will call him make him sha find something do make I drive am reach house, park am dey use Uber go work until I’m available for weekend and anything he wan change i must see the new one first before u comot the old one ooo, if Na something wey he go need remove to take to go get new one, we dey go together

1 Like

Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Higherthan: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2023
Esoheedos:

How can you ring engine from Nigeria mechanic and expect that engine to remain the same. You either change engine or change the car.
Your kids will be worse than you will ever be amen…
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Temiloveblog: 10:45pm On Feb 20
Who can recommend a good kia vehicle mechanic in Abuja. I am tired of moving from one mechanic to another
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by Dozieson(m): 7:14am On Feb 21
Temiloveblog:
Who can recommend a good kia vehicle mechanic in Abuja. I am tired of moving from one mechanic to another

Search for kingreign here on this platform
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by omoakin22: 5:22pm On Feb 21
I thought toyota no dey get problem toyota addited people will talk don't buy any other brand
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by afangsoup: 6:11pm On Feb 23
Temiloveblog:

Hello
Call me on

I can't access my WhatsApp for because my phone was stolen.
Re: Help! My Car Is Always At The Mechanic by kingreign(m): 1:55pm On Feb 26
Temiloveblog:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving / 10 Incredible Parking Fails You Can’t Pull Off No Matter How Hard You Try (photo / Let’s Laugh Together And Also Learn From My Funny Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.