Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,916 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223181 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 16, 2013
NEROSKY: 4 this life, I must be successful

Amen o my brother. We shall surely get there. Building oneself(preparation) and God grace are all we need to get there. We shall get there. Amen!

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jerikoyan(m): 7:13am On Nov 16, 2013
xzit:

I was just about to ask a similar question. I know these companies have surveyors though not as much as engineers. I have a BSc in Geology and a professional diploma in surveying and geoinformatics. My target job has always been the upstream sector but it seems like who you know is just as important as what you know in these concerns. What I've noticed is that these companies seldom advertize for surveyors and GIS personnel. It would be really swell to put my knowledge in the geosciences to practice in one of these companies. No better motivation to deliver than the tangible financial gain in these companies!
House any info or help on this !
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 16, 2013
segcy.moor:
Contact us for Construction service

MOORE-DESIGNBUILD LTD
Cheers!

u don stylishly steal nairaland do advert abi? If seun catch u eh, na ban straight. grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kart042000(m): 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2013
Hi T22, jarus, deboski and everyone on this forum, been following this thread and it is fully packed with mind blowing informations, and amounts in terms of salary that could make me sit up and start dreaming big. I recently finished my M.Sc from mobile and satellite communication from UK, with a distinction, and I am CCIE R&S written certified. I have also done several trainings in the UK such as the seatel communication, mtn satellite communication and orbits communication for stabilized antennas used on ships and oil rigs. I am still trying to get my foot in the country, still applying and I am beginning to wonder if I did the wrong course lol. Any information of any company my skill is highly essential would be appreciated because I have applied to many places, no feedback or acknowledgement they even received my CV. And for the careers in africa, applied since last year, till I left UK they never invited me or any of my friends for any of there forum.

I humbly await your responses. Thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by cheapgadgets6: 5:16pm On Nov 16, 2013
Hello T22,jarus and deboski,pls am a final year elect elct studnt,jus tru with my IT in a manufacturin coy wia I workd @ d electrical/maintenance dpt,lrnt abt control,power n intrumntatns,I want to go into the oil and gas sector upon my graduation n servc,I intend chusin d telecom option in ma final year,so I cn b diversified,combinin telecoms knwldge wt d power n control av goten alredi..op ds move is ok? Also wht certificatns can I get to equip masef? Tinkin of getin HSE or sm autocad 2d/3d trainins or a projct mgt certificatn..pls I nid sm advice..tnx
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by segcymoor(m): 9:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
RedBenson:

u don stylishly steal nairaland do advert abi? If seun catch u eh, na ban straight. grin
RedBenson:

Abeg forgive me...no go do am again!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by davide470(m): 10:15pm On Nov 16, 2013
jerikoyan:
House any info or help on this !
Though I have very limited experience, I would say this; Multinationals don't normally advertise for surveyors or Geoinformants.. The reason being, Oil servicing firms handling the drilling and formation stage of a field normally send their Geo staffs as secondment to these multinationals.
They only advertise for Reservoir Engineers, and with good years of experience.
So my advice will be, focus on Oil servicing firms dt deals majorly on the Geo* lines (Fugro and co)
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kart042000(m): 10:52am On Nov 17, 2013
Where has our admirable and knowledgeable tanimola(T22),deboski,jarus gone to cry , still waiting for a response from you guys. I like that name tanimola sha, God bless our hustles and may we make it bigger IJN.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by cheapgadgets6: 11:04am On Nov 17, 2013
cheapgadgets6: Hello T22,jarus and deboski,pls am a final year elect elct studnt,jus tru with my IT in a manufacturin coy wia I workd @ d electrical/maintenance dpt,lrnt abt control,power n intrumntatns,I want to go into the oil and gas sector upon my graduation n servc,I intend chusin d telecom option in ma final year,so I cn b diversified,combinin telecoms knwldge wt d power n control av goten alredi..op ds move is ok? Also wht certificatns can I get to equip masef? Tinkin of getin HSE or sm autocad 2d/3d trainins or a projct mgt certificatn..pls I nid sm advice..tnx
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by haveworkskills: 11:14am On Nov 17, 2013
Hello people,

It is good to have a strong CV, with oil and gas experience and skills, but is more important to have the CV loaded with useful skills that will force more than 50% of the employers out there to contact you after going through your CV. And these employers need not be oil companies. Isn't it? If you agree, then read on. If you do not agree, please close this page and move on. Read the attached document to see recent trends in salaries by professions in Nigeria!

Learn the main, the main professional finance skills and build valuable work experience in key areas of finance and financial and economic consulting outside of the four walls of an office.

Sounds impossible? No, never! We can help you achieve it. Sit down and read-on if you desire to break into the world of professional business, management, finance and economics. As you read, remain 98.97% assured that we can and will help you shape your career goals!

Do your career and future a favour at little cost to you. Contact us at financeprofessionalskills@gmail.com.
Sincerely
Real Finance Team

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief background of the finance team

We are a group of financial analysts with academic training in finance, quantitative finance, economics and business. We work for some of the top investment houses in Nigeria and our opinions are regularly sought and quoted by respectable local and international media houses. We are driven to demystify the arcane stuff in finance and build the skills of those who regularly employ the myriad of services and value we have in stock to offer. We teach clients to become greater than us, but we equally expect plenty of effort and dedication from clients as our belief is guided by our principle that the very best things in life come through concerted effort underpinned by personal sedulity.

1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jerikoyan(m): 1:48am On Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for the info.
davide470:
Though I have very limited experience, I would say this; Multinationals don't normally advertise for surveyors or Geoinformants.. The reason being, Oil servicing firms handling the drilling and formation stage of a field normally send their Geo staffs as secondment to these multinationals.
They only advertise for Reservoir Engineers, and with good years of experience.
So my advice will be, focus on Oil servicing firms dt deals majorly on the Geo* lines (Fugro and co)
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by bigfrancis21: 2:25am On Dec 24, 2013
kart042000: Hi T22, jarus, deboski and everyone on this forum, been following this thread and it is fully packed with mind blowing informations, and amounts in terms of salary that could make me sit up and start dreaming big. I recently finished my M.Sc from mobile and satellite communication from UK, with a distinction, and I am CCIE R&S written certified. I have also done several trainings in the UK such as the seatel communication, mtn satellite communication and orbits communication for stabilized antennas used on ships and oil rigs. I am still trying to get my foot in the country, still applying and I am beginning to wonder if I did the wrong course lol. Any information of any company my skill is highly essential would be appreciated because I have applied to many places, no feedback or acknowledgement they even received my CV. And for the careers in africa, applied since last year, till I left UK they never invited me or any of my friends for any of there forum.

I humbly await your responses. Thanks

I deeply understand your situation, my dear. The employment situation in the country is mostly about connexions and who you know(ima mmadu), save for a few sincere and genuine companies that still give free-and-fair recruitment processes.

I experienced this when I was applying for my IT(industrial training) in my 4th year in the university. I applied to Internship offers in ExxonMobil(I won their scholarship in my first year in the university, renewable till I graduated, and hoped it could give me an upper hand in landing a 6-month internship offer with them) and APM Terminals(an international shipping company located at Apapa Lagos state). Both companies invited me for an aptitude test at PH and VI, Lagos respectively. I went for them, the both tests holding between at a time interval of 1 week. I never heard from Mobil till today. They didn't call any of us who wrote their IT test. Instead, they filled up those spaces with their own relatives who were IT-seeking students.

However, APM Terminals contacted me few weeks later informing me of my success at the aptitude test and inviting me for an oral interview at their magnificent office complex at Apapa which I went for and passed. The package didn't just end there with the IT placement offer - it also came with a scholarship award sum which they paid me at the start of my final year.

I was very impressed with them. My experience with APM Terminals, Apapa proved to me that there are still some, albeit a few, sincere companies in Nigeria who recruit employees on a level playing field. Shell oil company is another one too.

I'll advise that you keep persevering. And you should try both options that I listed. This is Nigeria and its how the system works here most of the time.

Take care.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 24, 2013
Chrisbenogor: The focus has been pay pay pay and it can be very very misleading. There are many factors one should consider before taking the plunge. You cannot have it all and depending on which role you are taking you have to be careful when you look at money.
Some companies at entry level might not pay so well but have better industry recognised training programs than others, at entry level this should be a bigger draw than where you would seat to be a glorified house boy taking instructions from HQ.
When I have time and energy I would expound more.

ignore this at your own peril.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 24, 2013
b2spirit: There is so much mis-information on this thread about the salaries of IOCs (E&P) and oil-servicing companies in Nigeria.

Those who have worked in any of these companies for several years will understand that salaries in these companies are very dynamic. Too dynamic to change jobs solely because of the "perceived" difference in salary.

Can we really compare salaries with incomplete information? No. Salary at entry level may seem higher, but do you really know how it compares () at higher levels and over time, especially considering that perks, retention bonuses, performance bonuses, field allowances, etc, may come into play.

The field allowances that are paid in some of these oil-servicing companies will make many E&P employees tremble in utter fear.

Contentment is very key...in the end.

Let's first start with how annual salaries are sometimes presented.
Some companies prefer to state your annual basic salary only on your offer letter; while others would put all the money you are going to receive within the present year or a year from when you start work.

The problem with the latter is that....there are some allowances (monies) that are included that are not paid yearly - some allowances are paid once in every four years or less, though you may receive them in your first year. So your salary may "appear" to drop the following year.

Most times ppl don't usually have enough information to objectively compare salaries in offer letters. However, the experienced eye will ask questions and seek more information or the breakdown. Unfortunately, the questions may never be answered. So one is sometimes forced to go with what you see in one's offer letter; and discover "the truth" after one joins.

Secondly, I don't think any of these companies (TOTAL, CHEVRON, EXXON, SHELL, AGIP, etc) has set out to be the best paying per se. They usually place themselves in some percentile. For example company A may state that are okay with being in the top 25% percent (75th percentile). I think percentiles are more important than present rankings. Rankings fluctuate more frequently than percentiles.

If Total is the best paying now, they certainly weren't the best paying in the past, and certainly won't be in the future; and their management will be more than fine with that, provided they don't drop below the target the company has set for itself.

The best paying company probably became the best by trying to match the salary of another company, in other to attract the best brains. And of course it would be matched and surpassed at some point. We have seen this trend before. Salaries are market driven...so it can't be static for long.

I personally know people that have moved from Chevron, Exxon, AGIP, etc to join Shell and vice versa. At the time of move, the difference in salaries was different. So moving or deciding to pick one out of many solely because of salary is usually not a good idea. You need to look at other things.
Brilliant!

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kart042000(m): 5:13pm On Dec 24, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I deeply understand your situation, my dear. The employment situation in the country is mostly about connexions and who you know(ima mmadu), save for a few sincere and genuine companies that still give free-and-fair recruitment processes.

I experienced this when I was applying for my IT(industrial training) in my 4th year in the university. I applied to Internship offers in ExxonMobil(I won their scholarship in my first year in the university, renewable till I graduated, and hoped it could give me an upper hand in landing a 6-month internship offer with them) and APM Terminals(an international shipping company located at Apapa Lagos state). Both companies invited me for an aptitude test at PH and VI, Lagos respectively. I went for them, the both tests holding between at a time interval of 1 week. I never heard from Mobil till today. They didn't call any of us who wrote their IT test. Instead, they filled up those spaces with their own relatives who were IT-seeking students.

However, APM Terminals contacted me few weeks later informing me of my success at the aptitude test and inviting me for an oral interview at their magnificent office complex at Apapa which I went for and passed. The package didn't just end there with the IT placement offer - it also came with a scholarship award sum which they paid me at the start of my final year.

I was very impressed with them. My experience with APM Terminals, Apapa proved to me that there are still some, albeit a few, sincere companies in Nigeria who recruit employees on a level playing field. Shell oil company is another one too.

I'll advise that you keep persevering. And you should try both options that I listed. This is Nigeria and its how the system works here most of the time.

Take care.

Many thanks big francis, i would check it up now.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Take care.
Nice contribution, however there's a big difference between IT placement and job placement. While many organizations may reward their loyal staffs and friends with IT placement for their wards, same can not be said for job placement. Recruitment for full time positions in most of the companies are purely by merit.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Osinitu(m): 1:19pm On Dec 25, 2013
[quote author=x-fire]
Nice contribution, however there's a big difference between IT placement and job placement. While many organizations may reward their loyal staffs and friends with IT placement for their wards, same can not be said for job placement. Recruitment for full time positions in most of the companies are purely by merit. [/quoteNot anymore bro,not in Nigeria of today although there are still job you get by merit and God's favour but most jobs these days are got by connection
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 25, 2013
^^^^
Well...maybe jobs in government ministries and parastatals. But most private organizations still recruit on merit. The problem is the vacancies are so few compared to the countless number of job seekers.
I can remember the first job I got. Out of thousands of people that wrote the online tests, they ended up taking only six of us! 2 people rejected the offer for better jobs. Out of the remaining 4, two of us have left remaining just 2. One of the remaining 2 is planning to leave next year. None of us knew anybody. 4 out of the 6 of us made first class.
Because of the few vacancies, the competition is stiffer, and sometimes only the best or 'lucky one' get the jobs, and in most cases, they leave for better jobs because they are good enough to scale through the recruitment processes.
Also, due to the dynamic nature of the Nigerian economy, some coys start a recruitment process and end up not finishing or suspending it. I know organizations that have placed embargo on recruitment as a cost saving measure. I also know of a particular IOC that has suspended her current recruitment for austerity reasons. Many graduates who applied will naturally think it's a man-know-man affair.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by bigfrancis21: 5:52pm On Dec 25, 2013
x-fire:

Nice contribution, however there's a big difference between IT placement and job placement. While many organizations may reward their loyal staffs and friends with IT placement for their wards, same can not be said for job placement. Recruitment for full time positions in most of the companies are purely by merit.

My point is the job market in Nigeria today is by and large by who you know. Meritocracy exists but its to a smaller percentage compared to getting jobs through IM. The person I directed my post at is an example of this.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Osinitu(m): 9:57am On Dec 26, 2013
I agree with you to some extent,but my concern has always been that the 'so-called' companies that employ based on merits don't give others an opportunity to prove themselves. By others I mean graduates with lower degrees like second class lower and first class. These days a lot of people get first class and second class upper through different means,the mere fact that an individual graduated with first class doesn't necessarily imply that he's better that his colleagues who graduated with lower degrees,in my own opinion He's just opportuned to make. A way for himself at that particular time. Don't get me wrong,I'm not justifying graduates with lower degrees I'm just saying that they also deserve to be considered let everybody be placed on a level playing ground and then defend what he claims to have bagged in the higher institution. It is on this basis that I can say push or drives people to go through the back door,although corruption also comes to play but I guess little or nothing can be done on the part of the poor graduates. God help us
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jazminer: 3:06am On Aug 05, 2014
@Jarus Kindly Message me real_becks2005@yahoo.co.uk your help is needed. Any in the house that has Jarus contact or great information on Total recruitment, kindly message me.

Thanks Y'all
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by coker89(m): 4:25am On Aug 29, 2014
If Earning $6,500/month working offshore is cool for you,
You'll find this piece of information great.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by doziej84: 11:01pm On Sep 03, 2014
coker89: If Earning $6,500/month working offshore is cool for you,
You'll find this piece of information great.
@coker89, what's the information?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by JamexJames(m): 7:26pm On Sep 19, 2014
u guys are speaking my mind... ride on
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by JamexJames(m): 7:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
I had about 80% chances of been retained by Total during my internship with them in their gas plant and flow station but due to what a past IT student did so they stop retaining their IT students that did well... Total field operators are on money not to talk of their supervisors, team leaders etc
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 19, 2014
JamexJames: I had about 80% chances of been retained by Total during my internship with them in their gas plant and flow station but due to what a past IT student did so they stop retaining their IT students that did well... Total field operators are on money not to talk of their supervisors, team leaders etc
what did he do? care to share?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Tellyou: 2:24am On Sep 21, 2014
Hi All.
I stumbled on this thread while searching online for answers.
I'm got an interview invite with total after writing an aptitude test sometime last week. The posituon is for technicians. (ond)
What are the likely questions i could be asked and whats their interview like??
I need replies please...
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by switlary: 2:49am On Sep 21, 2014
AVEVA PDMS (plant design management system) training

PDMS Plant Design Management System is a comprehensive, intelligent Computer-
aided design/engineering (CAD/CAE)
application for plant design, Construction
and operations. It is widely used in Power,
Oil & Gas Production & Processing
(Offshore & Onshore), Petroleum Refining, Petroleum Storage & Transportation, Chemicals &Petrochemicals Industries for the best possible design – and do it more efficiently thereby reducing the total
installation cost of the project.
The PDMS approach enables a wide range of sophisticated design checks to be carried out across all aspects of the design to check and improve quality. Drawings and reports are generated directly from the model database to ensure consistency between design information and the project deliverables.
With a sound Knowledge of PDMS, your
chances of getting employed are quite
unlimited. The energy industry has never a time been more demanding and in need of skilled graduates with extra skills like PDMS. Multinational companies harness the powers of PDMS in their every day projects that is the reason behind the recent training of some Engineers in PDMS to meet up with local content demand.
We train the following
Modules:

Equipment & Piping Design
Steelwork Design
Electrical & Instrumentation
HVAC
Drawing Production
Systems Administration
Structural Catalogue and Specifications
Piping Catalogue and Specifications
Drawing Administration E.T.C

Which also include

A. Equipment DESIGN (vessels,
pumps, heat exchanger,
assemblies, air coolers)
B. Piping DESIGN INCLUDING
explicit piping for piping
engineers
C. Structural steelwork (column,
beams, panels and plates, wall
and floors)for civil
And structural engineers
D. ASL MODELLER (Access, stairs
and ladder) for structural and
civil engineers
E. Cable trays for electrical and
electronics &instrument
engineers
F. Production of MTO’s and piping
general assembly
G. Conversion from PDMS Draft &
Isodraft to AutoCAD format.
H. Customizing PDMS
I. Plant layout and drafting
interpretation
J. Using ASME code

We offer one on one training and video training package. The training and the video training will cover all the aspects stated above
You can request for the video training package which contain the software, training materials, project to work on and complete videos, with a video on how to install the software conveniently, delivered to you where ever you are in the country at a very affordable price.....

The one on one training and video training package will be based on all this aspects, a tutor will be assigned to you in case you have any questions.
You will be glad you did........ Call or whatsapp07032380845 or BB.231CA796 or Email:strongtechsolutions@gmail.com
For more Info
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by schiphol003: 8:22am On Sep 21, 2014
I am a young graduate with 2.1. I read elect eng. I have been in the telecom industry for the past 1 year. I want to make a switch in the oil sector.
Mr Xfire could you please share with me how you crossed from FMCG to oil sector. I would greatly appreciate your response.
Experienced guys in the house, please share your insight on this issue.

Thanks
God Bless Nigeria
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Tellyou: 4:51pm On Sep 25, 2014
No replies yet...
** sad face **
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Saifullah01: 4:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
@tell you, prepare for the normal 'tell me about yourself', 'what are ur weaknesses and strength' and other routine interviw questions.

Then prepare for some question in ur area of specialty both academic (velocity viscosity and those other craps they teach tech guys like u in school) and current/general (what is the name of the body professional engineers or technicians belong to)

Then get some background knowledge on the company ( they may likely ask u what do u know about total)

#justmythoughtsthough.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by schiphol003: 7:12pm On Sep 26, 2014
Where is Xfire?
Please answer my question na.
Abi na only you want dey earn oyel money? wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.