Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. (20550 Views)

NYSC DG, Brigadier-General Ahmed Visits His Ex-Landlord In Osun Where He Served / The Food Served At Adamawa NYSC Orientation Camp (Watery Beans) / Maggots In Food Served At Kebbi NYSC Camp: How True Is This Photo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Orubebe01: 7:59am On May 11, 2023
Austinio:
Akwa ibom state
Which local government
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by NzogbuNzogbu: 7:59am On May 11, 2023
Gombe
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sammy7410(m): 7:59am On May 11, 2023
Rubbish
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Parachoko: 7:59am On May 11, 2023
Kano and Oyo
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Racoon(m): 7:59am On May 11, 2023
@ Enugu. Agwu is a good geographical location

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Samba189(m): 8:00am On May 11, 2023
BENUE STATE
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Sikechukwu81(m): 8:00am On May 11, 2023
obembet:
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)- One year of joy, challenges, tears and VICTORY.

Its a thing of joy and great privilege to serve our fathers land. Several people have stated their own opinion about NYSC, Some said it’s a scam, some said it’s a complete waste of time, and so on, but but to me, I see a things of Joy to serve my father's Land.

I served my dear country in one of the most beautiful state in the Nigeria, (Akwa Ibom) even though I was not happy about the village I was posted for my PPA but the villagers proved to me that Akwa Ibom people are the most wonderful tribe in Nigeria when it comes to taking care of strangers and cooking the best soup

I served in 2015/2016 batch B stream II at Nkot Nseyen, ikono local Government, Akwa Ibom state and my PPA was nkot Nseyen community secondary school.

If you are privilege to serve in Nkot Nseyen village, your one year service will be full of fun and you will beg federal government to give you extra year

My experience were mostly exciting with the Akwa Ibom people and their soup, I remember I tasted periwinkle soup for the first time there but I shouted when I was unable to break the periwinkle with my teeth, I later learn how to suck it grin

So my fellow Nairalanders, it's NYSC is 50!!! Please tell the world where and when you served and share your little experience in one sentence

Source: Obembet

4th Street, cleverland USA grin

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Antiurchins: 8:00am On May 11, 2023
Nonwa gbam tai Rivers

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Mhanie(m): 8:00am On May 11, 2023
Lagos state
Ikeja
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Emmamay10: 8:00am On May 11, 2023
Uk. Uromi Kingdom to be precise in Edo State. Very lovely people and atmosphere.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Risingblue008(m): 8:01am On May 11, 2023
Bukuru
In jos,
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by backtovillage: 8:01am On May 11, 2023
Igbo land oh Ebonyi

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by ogelekpomgam(m): 8:01am On May 11, 2023
I served in Osun State,2009.Ifewara to be precised.That's Papa Adeboye's home town.His very old elder Sister once told her driver to give us (some corpers) a lift.The family is humility personified. smiley

15 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by ggood: 8:01am On May 11, 2023
Mine was in Nasarawa lafia

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by fiercehillz(m): 8:02am On May 11, 2023
Isu L.G.A. Imo State 2015/2016

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Tinubuwins2023e: 8:02am On May 11, 2023
Ebonyi state.
2011-2012
kiss
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Vadese1: 8:02am On May 11, 2023
I served in Ogun state 2005, Iperu precisely. It was a wonderful experience. The people of Iperu where so nice. They were such a very wonderful people. I can't forget their goodness. I still miss Iperu till today. Hoping to visit sometime this year.

8 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Nobleson090(m): 8:02am On May 11, 2023
Kwara state 2012

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by boldtruthalways: 8:04am On May 11, 2023
sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go
This is amazing idea. It.should be sent to the right parastatal or government agency.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by MissOpe(f): 8:04am On May 11, 2023
Enugu ( Awgu camp)
And posted to Obinofia Ndiagu

6 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by backtovillage: 8:05am On May 11, 2023
Igbo land oh Ebonyi,

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by xpiranza88: 8:05am On May 11, 2023
To me make them leave nysc ohhhh I served and want my children to serve toooo......nysc no be waiting no they make Nigeria move forward.....let the program beee....no be by force to serve for those way no like am

9 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by DrBasit(m): 8:05am On May 11, 2023
2014B Ikenne Camp, Sagamu , Ogun State.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Justdare: 8:05am On May 11, 2023
sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go

Very well thought out.
God bless you. I don't see, however, how this may stop the "oga at the top" syndrome. The CDS was initiated to integrate the corp members into their host society.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by oloba(m): 8:06am On May 11, 2023
Ekiti state.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by SimeonOTC(m): 8:06am On May 11, 2023
Dakingari Permanent Orientation Camp, Kebbi State, 2020/2021.
I miss that camp but I dnt like the state.
I latter relocate to Anambra.
I am still appreciating Anambra State Government and Willi Obiano for the financial gift. I still have that money untouched currently seating in my account.
I miss NYSC.

6 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Exc2000: 8:06am On May 11, 2023
Saje High School Abeokuta Ogun State 2012 batch B

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Gentew(m): 8:07am On May 11, 2023
obembet:
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)- One year of joy, challenges, tears and VICTORY.

Its a thing of joy and great privilege to serve our fathers land. Several people have stated their own opinion about NYSC, Some said it’s a scam, some said it’s a complete waste of time, and so on, but but to me, I see a things of Joy to serve my father's Land.

I served my dear country in one of the most beautiful state in the Nigeria, (Akwa Ibom) even though I was not happy about the village I was posted for my PPA but the villagers proved to me that Akwa Ibom people are the most wonderful tribe in Nigeria when it comes to taking care of strangers and cooking the best soup

I served in 2015/2016 batch B stream II at Nkot Nseyen, ikono local Government, Akwa Ibom state and my PPA was nkot Nseyen community secondary school.

If you are privilege to serve in Nkot Nseyen village, your one year service will be full of fun and you will beg federal government to give you extra year

My experience were mostly exciting with the Akwa Ibom people and their soup, I remember I tasted periwinkle soup for the first time there but I shouted when I was unable to break the periwinkle with my teeth, I later learn how to suck it grin

So my fellow Nairalanders, it's NYSC is 50!!! Please tell the world where and when you served and share your little experience in one sentence

Source: Obembet

Lagos state
Ministry of housing, Alausa secretariat, Ikeja.
2015/2016

I decided to become a permanent resident in Lagos after NYSC. That three weeks OT camp really prepared me for lagos lifestyle.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by mechanics(m): 8:07am On May 11, 2023
Plateau State, Shendam LGA.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by easzypeaszy(m): 8:08am On May 11, 2023
Katsina 2013/2014

3 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Henix(m): 8:08am On May 11, 2023
Okene, Kogi State.
I will not say they are peaceful people, but God got us covered

4 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by xavuv: 8:08am On May 11, 2023
2012 batch B ( no useless streams then), Okitipupa

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

NYSC Announces 2019 Batch B Stream Two Registration Date / Brutalised NYSC Member Flown Abroad For Treatment / NYSC POP: Don't Lose Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.