Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. (20594 Views)

NYSC DG, Brigadier-General Ahmed Visits His Ex-Landlord In Osun Where He Served / The Food Served At Adamawa NYSC Orientation Camp (Watery Beans) / Maggots In Food Served At Kebbi NYSC Camp: How True Is This Photo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by OLOKOESHIN: 8:41am On May 11, 2023
sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go
Nice write up
By now you must be very close to 50yrs on earth or 50 self .. Which means this is elderly advice

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Whois(m): 8:43am On May 11, 2023
Community secondary school, enugunato. Enugu state

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Goalnaldo(m): 8:43am On May 11, 2023
Sidney22 your suggestion is very great. Its people like you that are supposed to be special advisers or political office holders. Appswheel, you are a legend. God bless for taking the school to a higher level

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by BaddestQueen(f): 8:43am On May 11, 2023
Enugu

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Livingstone007: 8:44am On May 11, 2023
I served in Edo state, Oredo LGA, Batch A 2010/11 MDG/FACOR and Sports CDS. I had some of my best experiences of my life I missed NCCF family house and rural rugged.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by orlahtohbadt(m): 8:44am On May 11, 2023
obembet:

Sure, meaning that we both enjoyed election stuff at obot akara in 2016 grin
Yes o, the LGA elections. I bought my Infinix Hot 1 from the proceeds of the election then, lol. Even though our payment didn’t come on time.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by oli360(m): 8:45am On May 11, 2023
Served at GSS Hong, Hong LGA of beautiful Adamawa State. My service year was fun, educative and fabulously interesting.

Adamawa have one of the most beautiful weather in Nigeria. You actually have to be there to know and experience what am talking about. Sometime in the morning, the mist comes so close to the ground level that you almost feel like you could jump up and reach it. This is obviously because the place is mountainous.

Our Rural Rugged was mind-blowing. We used the opportunity to reach out to the poor and needy with clothes, medication and food. Our excursion to the mountain top was breathtaking. Infact, the list of fun was endless. All these was in 2008, before 'hell was emptied and all the devil released into naija'.

Long live the NYSC Scheme!
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by tobafy(m): 8:45am On May 11, 2023
Shelleng Local Government, Adamawa State.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by LivingSage: 8:46am On May 11, 2023
Where did you serve my queen
BaddestQueen:
yes oooo
we made it baby ♥️♥️
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by stephmike(m): 8:46am On May 11, 2023
Posted to Brono state , redeployed to Oyo State. 2014/2015 batch a
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by BarrElChapo(m): 8:46am On May 11, 2023
Enugu north LGA, Enugu.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by chetachuma(m): 8:46am On May 11, 2023
obembet:

Ikono General Hospital,Ibiaku just opposite the council.
Really, which town
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by StJasper(m): 8:47am On May 11, 2023
obembet:
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)- One year of joy, challenges, tears and VICTORY.

Its a thing of joy and great privilege to serve our fathers land. Several people have stated their own opinion about NYSC, Some said it’s a scam, some said it’s a complete waste of time, and so on, but but to me, I see a things of Joy to serve my father's Land.

I served my dear country in one of the most beautiful state in the Nigeria, (Akwa Ibom) even though I was not happy about the village I was posted for my PPA but the villagers proved to me that Akwa Ibom people are the most wonderful tribe in Nigeria when it comes to taking care of strangers and cooking the best soup

I served in 2015/2016 batch B stream II at Nkot Nseyen, ikono local Government, Akwa Ibom state and my PPA was nkot Nseyen community secondary school.

If you are privilege to serve in Nkot Nseyen village, your one year service will be full of fun and you will beg federal government to give you extra year

My experience were mostly exciting with the Akwa Ibom people and their soup, I remember I tasted periwinkle soup for the first time there but I shouted when I was unable to break the periwinkle with my teeth, I later learn how to suck it grin

So my fellow Nairalanders, it's NYSC is 50!!! Please tell the world where and when you served and share your little experience in one sentence

Source: Obembet

I served in Rivers state. My PPA waa Obama Boys High School, Bakana Island, Degema LGA.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by deavicky(m): 8:47am On May 11, 2023
sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go
the know what to do but corruption will not allow them.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by mechanics(m): 8:49am On May 11, 2023
MikePaulGh:

One of the hottest towns in Plateau.

A special state that Plateau is, Shendam, Langtang extremely hot while towns of just about 2 to 3 hours away like Jos, Pankshin are extremely cold.

God is wonderful.
Exactly, I really enjoyed my stay there.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by juman(m): 8:50am On May 11, 2023
NYSC is 50
We are celebrating, come and join the celebration, people united will never fall. Sun shine and rain fall.

Took it from Nigeria is 25 song.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by BigDawsNet: 8:50am On May 11, 2023
Awka Ibom
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by drimzsmoke(m): 8:51am On May 11, 2023
Ihu-aba, Ahoada, Rivers State.....RV/14C/222*
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by juman(m): 8:51am On May 11, 2023
I served in gombe state.
I consider myself as part of the state.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Osanoghodua1: 8:52am On May 11, 2023
Jigawa state, Hidejia. Lovely place, no hurry in life there, no show off. Just beautiful people there and sweet life. I use bicycle all through. Southern part of Nigeria has too many madness. I prefer to stay in the South cos I was born and brought up in the South. Southern life to ♾️.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by ceeceeco: 8:52am On May 11, 2023
2012 Batch A Kaduna State. Camped @ Black gold camp in Chikun LGA. Redeployed to Rivers State & served @ Obio Akpor LGA Port Harcourt.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by dgee1(m): 8:52am On May 11, 2023
We were in camp together! Remember that WhatsApp group where we arranged buses to camp?
money121:
Adamawa
Camp at benue

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by NaijaCover(m): 8:54am On May 11, 2023
There Is Nothing Good About NYSC To Me.

Coming From . COM
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sonchuks1(m): 8:54am On May 11, 2023
Our orientation was at Adeyemi College of Education Ondo. Thereafter, I was posted to St. Joseph's Technical College Ado Ekiti. We where the first Corpers to serve in the old Ondo State, 1978.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Goalnaldo(m): 8:54am On May 11, 2023
Damick1:
Domdest National School. Benin city. Edo state
along lucky way right?
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by mikemiyaki: 8:55am On May 11, 2023
Abuja Sheraton, Abuja 2000
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by SeyiAyorinde(m): 8:56am On May 11, 2023
Gsc, Koko Besse, Birnin Kebbi.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by obembet(f): 8:56am On May 11, 2023
orlahtohbadt:
Yes o, the LGA elections. I bought my Infinix Hot 1 from the proceeds of the election then, lol. Even though our payment didn’t come on time.

Na tru grin grin grin. We dey collect our state allawe in Cash grin

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by akinbode1(m): 8:56am On May 11, 2023
Akampa, Cross River State
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Enemyofpeace: 8:56am On May 11, 2023
I served in Calabar and their girls nearly killed me with sex and foods

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Enemyofpeace: 8:56am On May 11, 2023
mikemiyaki:
Abuja Sheraton, Abuja 2000
yinmu
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by onajo2000(m): 9:00am On May 11, 2023
Black Gold

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Are Graduates Who Reject Call-up Letters ,Re-mobilized? / Please Help!!! NYSC Biometric Data Capture / My Near Death Experience As A Prospective Stream II Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.