Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. - NYSC (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. (20558 Views)

NYSC DG, Brigadier-General Ahmed Visits His Ex-Landlord In Osun Where He Served / The Food Served At Adamawa NYSC Orientation Camp (Watery Beans) / Maggots In Food Served At Kebbi NYSC Camp: How True Is This Photo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by DPricey1(f): 3:27pm On May 11, 2023
I served in Niger state, FGGC Bida. Batch 16A
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Bimpe29: 3:35pm On May 11, 2023
I served in 2005/2006 Batch B at FCT. My PPA was at Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Ufot Ekaete was the then SGF.
Brigadier General Yusuf Bomoi of blessed memory was the DG of NYSC.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Mummyimbecile(m): 3:36pm On May 11, 2023
EgusiShankly:

What year did you serve there?
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by LuckyKeys1: 3:40pm On May 11, 2023
Served in Delta State Contributory health Commission Asaba, Delta State.
2020 Batch B stream 1
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by NonsoNna(m): 3:49pm On May 11, 2023
I served at akwa ibom too,in a small LGA called ibaka during the Covid era. I was just receiving allowee from march till October at home and it’s fun. I was even praying in my mind that lets my service year be extended so that the allawee will keep entering my bank

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by afariogunone1(f): 4:01pm On May 11, 2023
Served at University of Nigeria, Nsukka
2006/2007 Batch B
It was great
No regrets

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by dammie4j(m): 4:08pm On May 11, 2023
My service year I would say is one of my best years till date. Obbubra Camp, Calabar, Batch A, 2012. Got posted to Ikom one of the lovely country sides, but my love and high spirit of Calabar got me to get a re-posting back to the city capital. Got unprecedented favours all throughout my stay, perhaps due to the kindness of my parent to corpers and generally young people. As a matter of fact, my experience in service built my confidence to survive anywhere outside my comfort zone, my live skills and my ability to adapt to diversity.

On my first touchdown in Calabar, quite naive and with lots of expectations. I got a contact with a christ embassy lady (kindhearted) who linked a senior corper for temporal accommodation. Off the cab, the driver tried to take advantage and charge extra for a location really close, (2) elderly adults who never knew each other volunteered to walk me to my destination safely. I was very confident about my soundness, physique and flows as a full bred Lagos boy so headed straight to CBN to try my luck with getting an offer, mindful that I wasn't originally posted to the city and NYSC officials then frowned against such. Just on my way, the first person I met was an ex-schoolmate whom I assisted with bed space in camp. He had connections so got a referral to the HR at Cross River State Tourism Bureau (one of the best places to work in CRS at the time). He encouraged I try my luck in confidence, to cut the story, I was preferred over him after a long spell of screening, Stepping out I decided to check up the uni and got picked up by the faculty officer of Biz Admin who liked my disposition amidst even original corpers posted there. Naso she carry me bipass protocols and I got a second offer in the uni same day. Meanwhile, other original calabar corpers still roaming (grace differs).

In camp I recalled joining an assessment with Interswitch SmartGov only for 2:1 and 1:0 grads. Later got called for interviews and aced another offer within 2 or 3 days of my arrival. I just didn't bother about CBN. Beta confusion hold me. As I enter state sec naso those officials vex for my offers due to multiple rejection from other corps after lobbying for reposting oooo. Naso he nack me CRS local gov service commission. I vex collect rejection still returned to my top choice CRSTB.

I had so excess fun and hardly got broke due to my friendship with top naval officials. Eventually moved into the naval officers quarters behind bays bar (Lounge) with the privilege of scaling the fence to get to the club (you don't get such easily). Worked my CDS to tourism CDS and became a top exco influencing support from my organization. Got my first pair of suits as we were required to reflect status and finesse of the organisation. Made massive money from the Calabar Carnival with my partner while it was highly funded. Commissioned a notable project that earned me state coordinator's award, chop small project funds with my partner despite the impact grin, got retained but refused due to KPMG's test invitation and career growth and finally japa to Lag cool Lest I forget, the have the best food and nice and welcoming ladies and people generally. I also almost got bleeped up sometime by one Calabar cab guy coming from Pinnacle club then due to plenty shayo, but thanks for the intervention of the gallant NA and my swiftness in identifying myself (I really missed that ID).

I am really so excited about that year but never returned till date. Still hopeful. God bless all the beautiful people I met. Was a whole experience.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by henrystaar1: 4:13pm On May 11, 2023
Akwa Ibom Ayaya
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Lukuluku69(m): 4:28pm On May 11, 2023
Manigie:
I served in Zamfara State, then there was nothing like banditry and Zamfara was a peaceful state while my allawee was #9800.
Then Nigeria was still a beautiful country since ' most of the demons' were still in hell but now..... looks like devil himself is in Nigeria to supervise wickedness and killings and man's inhumanity to man....

In fact during the match between Ac Milan and Inter Milan last night, the fans held a banner with the inscription " Hell is empty and all the devils are here"...... I thought they were wrong, I had assumed we had all in Nigeria

In fact I pity corpers nowadays..... this is not the Nigeria we knew back then. May God just protect all corpers as they serve and may they all return safely to their families after their service year.

Served in Kano. 94/95. Allawee was #700.

Good old days cool

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by OvertheTop(m): 4:38pm On May 11, 2023
CAMP: Isieluku, Delta State
PPA LGA: Worri South LGA

Memorable Experience:
Everyone Loved a Corper there
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by TYCO77: 4:39pm On May 11, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]
obembet:
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)- One year of joy, challenges, tears and VICTORY.

Its a thing of joy and great privilege to serve our fathers land. Several people have stated their own opinion about NYSC, Some said it’s a scam, some said it’s a complete waste of time, and so on, but but to me, I see a things of Joy to serve my father's Land.

I served my dear country in one of the most beautiful state in the Nigeria, (Akwa Ibom) even though I was not happy about the village I was posted for my PPA but the villagers proved to me that Akwa Ibom people are the most wonderful tribe in Nigeria when it comes to taking care of strangers and cooking the best soup

I served in 2015/2016 batch B stream II at Nkot Nseyen, ikono local Government, Akwa Ibom state and my PPA was nkot Nseyen community secondary school.

If you are privilege to serve in Nkot Nseyen village, your one year service will be full of fun and you will beg federal government to give you extra year

My experience were mostly exciting with the Akwa Ibom people and their soup, I remember I tasted periwinkle soup for the first time there but I shouted when I was unable to break the periwinkle with my teeth, I later learn how to suck it grin

So my fellow Nairalanders, it's NYSC is 50!!! Please tell the world where and when you served and share your little experience in one sentence

Source: Obembet

I served in Oyo State, Iseyin LGA (1998 batch 'B'). It was all fun and cool, however I missed one precious thing... story for another day.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Raydave: 4:45pm On May 11, 2023
sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.
You deserve an accolades 👏

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by SeniorGee(m): 4:49pm On May 11, 2023
GSS Moroa, later to LG secretariat, Kokona LGA of Nasarawa state.
2009 Batch C
My fondest memories in life...
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by riczy(m): 4:53pm On May 11, 2023
I served in Ebonyi state, Ivo local govt area, ishiagu general hospital! 2012 batch C, if u served in Ebonyi dt batch, gather here

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by akaahs(m): 4:59pm On May 11, 2023
It seems no one served in Borno state.
I served in 2014-2015 with Borno State Ministry of Works. I wanted to stay and hustle for NGO job but i was promised a job in abuja, i had to leave just before the general elections that produced the disaster we have in Aso-Vila today.
It was a beautiful experience.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sacajawea: 5:31pm On May 11, 2023
BaddestQueen:
yes oooo
we made it baby ♥️♥️
A slave that doesn't know that he/she is a Slave
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sacajawea: 5:42pm On May 11, 2023
sonchuks1:
I served at St. Joseph's Technical College Ado Ekiti 1978. Indeed, we were the first Corpers in the old Ondo State.
The Fvcking sh!t out to be scrapped!
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sacajawea: 5:43pm On May 11, 2023
Fools!!! Not one person has said the Comment I'm looking for

Extreme, multidimensional mental Slaves!!
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Emdebby2: 5:55pm On May 11, 2023
Lagos. Any giveaway?
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by descarado: 5:55pm On May 11, 2023
Goodman2023:
Afikpo south...amiyi Edda...2013/2014...but stayed in nguzu Edda... because I cannot go and kill myself
Hmm, is the place not safe?
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by descarado: 6:00pm On May 11, 2023
sonchuks1:
I served at St. Joseph's Technical College Ado Ekiti 1978. Indeed, we were the first Corpers in the old Ondo State.
Respect

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by descarado: 6:03pm On May 11, 2023
Alfatonji:
I served at Emekuku ( Ezeogba) in then IMO STATE Year1985/86
Caps off kiss
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sacajawea: 6:03pm On May 11, 2023
skilfulsagei:
Bauchi. 1997.

Wailo Camp was wonderful!!!

Allawee= N1167

Later= N1567
Another slave!
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Horpehyemmie: 6:05pm On May 11, 2023
Uke, Idemili North, Anambra State
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sacajawea: 6:06pm On May 11, 2023
Onyi90:

3. After resumption in one of the term I discovered that some of my female underaged students have been forcefully married out to grandfather's by their parents. Very terrible experience.
Let me stop here.
By their Biological parents?? We're this Grandfathers Rich??
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by caandi: 6:24pm On May 11, 2023
Nysc yenogoa
2016 batch

Good old days …. A lot of experiences good and bad
My nick name was cry baby
I can cry for Africa ehnnnn
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Manigie: 6:44pm On May 11, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Served in Kano. 94/95. Allawee was #700.

Good old days cool
Ahhh... senior man, and I was here thinking I was a legend.....

Senior man, I dobale for you sir....
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by 4khoodbaby: 6:45pm On May 11, 2023
Gombe State
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by b3llo(m): 6:48pm On May 11, 2023
butpro:
ore is doing great still. Things hasn't rwallt changed. Kidnapping has finally gone.
I stayed at Jerry saw mills, close to CAC canaan land

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by b3llo(m): 6:50pm On May 11, 2023
4khoodbaby:
Gombe State
nice one beautiful State to be
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by sacajawea: 6:51pm On May 11, 2023
So how many of our have made it today now??
How many?? All barely average!

Except for those from rich or Upper middle homes, that had a small advantage or decent launching pad

Fools! are not still aware, not having the right conversations still
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Goodman2023: 6:59pm On May 11, 2023
descarado:

Hmm, is the place not safe?
..no light, no toilet, no road and no network. But it is a peaceful place when you want to hide from the rest of the world

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Brutalised NYSC Member Flown Abroad For Treatment / NYSC POP: Don't Lose Faith / Are Graduates Who Reject Call-up Letters ,Re-mobilized?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.