Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,027 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. - NYSC (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. (20447 Views)

NYSC DG, Brigadier-General Ahmed Visits His Ex-Landlord In Osun Where He Served / The Food Served At Adamawa NYSC Orientation Camp (Watery Beans) / Maggots In Food Served At Kebbi NYSC Camp: How True Is This Photo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by EgusiShankly: 7:16pm On May 11, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
That's recent. I grew up there. My epa didn't let me join my friends at HTGS. Still pained me till this day

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Lukuluku69(m): 7:38pm On May 11, 2023
Manigie:
Ahhh... senior man, and I was here thinking I was a legend.....

Senior man, I dobale for you sir....

Lol
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by mankan2k7(m): 8:14pm On May 11, 2023
I served in 9th mile, UDI LGA, Enugu state.2010

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Mummyimbecile(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2023
EgusiShankly:

That's recent. I grew up there. My epa didn't let me join my friends at HTGS. Still pained me till this day
Bro, I enjoyed my stay there. HTGS is a nice school, it's just that the female students gave me a hard time.

Most of them misbehave sha, but me no get time. Its typical with every Government secondary school.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by RIDOO: 9:20pm On May 11, 2023
Ikare Akoko.Ondo state.2006.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Cti28(m): 9:23pm On May 11, 2023
Camped at Kusala dam, Karaye Kano State.
PPA GGSS Tsanyawa, Tsanyawa L.G.A

I had a stress free service year ( I was basically on a year vacation ). Cost of living which was very low. Out of the #19800 monthly stipend, I saved close to 12000 per month.

The people there were to some extent hospitable. Social life, is non-existent. Which made most corp's member to flee the same the of their POP.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by kasim155: 10:34pm On May 11, 2023
Ajaokuta in Kogi State.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Sniper101(m): 10:44pm On May 11, 2023
As una dey tell the world where una serve
Make una still tell the world una CGPA oh grin
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Tiduns1(m): 11:04pm On May 11, 2023
Ondo State, Akure
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Glocee(f): 11:09pm On May 11, 2023
Adum East, Obi L.G.A Benue state. 2012/2013

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by masqot(m): 11:17pm On May 11, 2023
GSS, Song Town, Song LGA, Adamawa State. 2004
People in this town are very loving and accommodating. Still have friends among them till today, though Iโ€™m from LA

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by countryman13: 2:14am On May 12, 2023
Mine was at Boy's Model Secondary School,Onicha Olona Delta State (07/08 Batch A). Each day of my service year was fun especially on the day i visited the Olona Ranch. Those people are just too hospitable if n only if you maintain ur lane ooooo. Am a Kogite but Delta is HOME AWAY FROM HOME FOR ME!

4 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Daniellon: 2:52am On May 12, 2023
Old man talking here:

1. Service year: 1988 (that's 35 years ago).
2. Service state: Imo (when imo and Abia were still one state)

3) orientation camp duration = 6 weeks!

4. Allawee = โ‚ฆ200 which was increased within 3 months to โ‚ฆ250.

5. PPA at a village in Isiala-Ngwa which is now in Abia State.

As a northerner who schooled in ABU Zaria, it was very exciting traveling down south for the very first time. There wasn't much restriction in the orientation camp back then, so we got to hang out in the mammy market playing chess and draughts up to midnight. I made so many friends in the camp and up till today, I still occasionally bump into some.
Although the PPA was in a village without electricity or pipe-borne water, we had a swell time. Not long after I arrived the village, I got a girl friend. She had finished school and was helping her mother sell stuff in the market. I used to call her Gold and she was very beautiful. Eventually, in the second batch of corpers, I became close to another female Corper. She eventually became my girlfriend and Gold understood and stepped aside. There was no mobile phones back then and we kept in touch after the service. Gold wrote to me until I learnt later that she married a business man in Lagos. I lost touch with Flo after she passed out. At a time, we even mulled marriage but nothing came out of it. Perhaps I should have stuck with Gold because looking back, I think I really loved her more than Flo.
Service year is the time to enjoy yourselves. There's no other time in your life like it. Participate in camp activities and make friends. One day, like me, you'll have very sweet memories to to share with your kids.
And lest not I forget, I have to mention that I drank palm wine for the first time during my service year. Eme took me and Flo in the evening of an overcast day to where the tappers are on the trees. They gave us two litres and refused to collect any money. It was the sweetest thing to taste and had no alcohol smell. It even tasted chilled. When we reached the corpers' lodge we gulped the rest. Nobody warned us what would happen. We became drunk within a couple of hours. But it was a very memorable night.
I sometimes look back on my life and wish I could transport myself back in time and live one week in the NYSC orientation camp and one month at my PPA.... the fun we had cannot be compared to life afterwards.

8 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by yungest(m): 5:40am On May 12, 2023
atheistandproud:

SASHTG dey hardly reject corpers in the past but when that big headed new Executive Director, he changed everything.

Now he only wants Northern Corpers at the school. I came back in 2018 as a contract staff and even then I didn't last. In the end he brought people that studied Pure Chemistry to teach MLT, people that studied Agriculture to teach Environment and people that studied Biology to teach in Pharm Tech and Community Health. We just jejely leave their school for them.
it was the LGi that transferred us to LG, saying sch of health was filed already, I was there 2018/19, i might know slfโ€ฆ.**lol
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by ajaoibrahim(m): 7:07am On May 12, 2023
Oye local government 2017
It's was a memorable experience
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by dominion001(m): 7:11am On May 12, 2023
I remember those days in BIU Borno state. But now I no fit reach there again o, unless BH decides to calm down .

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Ruuchiinaa: 7:11am On May 12, 2023
Awesome idea

sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by regma: 7:26am On May 12, 2023
I did my NYSC at Ugirike, Ikeduru LGA of Imo State. The People there were friendly, loving and also care for me when i was there. it was very pleasant serving in that Community.
NYSC needs urgent restructuring to make productive to the Nation at large. May God protect all our NYSC Members from the Insecurity of the Country caused by our leaders

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Ifyok50(m): 8:36am On May 12, 2023
Mine was in Rising Stars Academy, Damba, Zamfara State. Batch B 21/22

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by SweetyZinta(f): 5:41pm On May 12, 2023
ezewealth:

See my nysc mate o, which platoon u dey

Platoon 1, my number sef na 0011 cheesy
I was in Batch B stream II

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by orlahboi(m): 10:26am On May 13, 2023
Wow. Where in Asa Lg?
yinkabeauty:

Elan83 From Yikpata , Edu Lg to Asa Lg .
Nostalgic!
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Thomasankara(m): 5:00pm On May 13, 2023
[/color]Edo na real idan๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚where dem for dey give soldier man craping[color=#770077]
Orire01:

ASwear....Even the community pursue Police Station Commot from the community... The station serves as home to rodents and pests
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Access03(m): 7:38pm On May 13, 2023
Plateau
Plateau State Water Board
Yakubu Gowon Way,
Industrial Estate, Anglo-Jos.
Jos, Plateau State.
PL/15A/2420.

God bless the good people of Plateau State.
I dearly love J City!
Missed these places- West of mines, Rwanpam street, Rayfield, Miangu, Bukuru in Jos South, Police Hq area, and the likes...

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Luu40: 8:34pm On May 13, 2023
ravensckar:
Gembu? My dream NYSC place. I heard a lot of wonderful stories about that place. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Government Secondary School, Ikang, Bakassi L.G Cross River State. I showed all of them there better shege. cheesy cheesy

Principal: Corper, you will teach Biology in S.S 1 and S.S 2 and S.S 3.

Me: Sir, I'll teach Biology only in S.S 1 or S.S 2 or S.S 3.

Class monitor calls me on phone: Sir, it's 10:00am and you're not in the staff room. We have Biology now.

Me: Didn't you see that there's NEPA light? I'm in my room enjoying my life. Call the main Biology teacher, I'm just a Corper (emphasis on Corper).

That was the beginning of my epic encounter in that school. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Hahahaha. You must have been a very bad corper then.

Gembu is really a nice place to be.
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Dubetex96(m): 5:54pm On May 18, 2023
I served in zamfara state precisely in kortokorchi town. Batch A 2021. Banditry no allow us sleep with our two eyes close even though we were living with battalion of soldiers in the community.I really enjoyed my stay there hopefully i intended going back there for a visit.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by abercrombie(m): 6:11pm On May 27, 2023
Well i camp in jigawa state but relocate to Lagos cause that's where I'm based

Service year wasn't that fun tho cause i already got used to so many social life in Lagos and have seen all,but i made quite some cool friends in camp,we still keep in touch

Served in a private shipping company in Apapa port lagos,my LGI was still cool but a bit discipline lady

Was made the PRO of my CDS "Servicom and Services" where we carried out some projects to government schools in Apapa,later i was made the treasurer after i turn down the post of president in my CDS units,man the workload was too much for me

My total money every month was #63000,which is 33k from Nysc and 30k from my PPA,but damn lagos expensive lifestyle is ain't shit man will be

But thankGod it's in the Past!!!?
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by yinkabeauty: 5:35pm On May 30, 2023
orlahboi:
Wow. Where in Asa Lg?

Government Secondary School (G.S.S) , Alapa , Asa Lg, Kwara State.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by ChiefOkporghe: 12:34pm On Jun 19, 2023
sidney22:
In another thread, the topic is on the way forward after 50 years of the scheme.

I did my youth service when NYSC was 25 years old in Calabar , Cross River State.
That was in 1998.

The orientation period was the shortest yet in the history of NYSC till date - 2 weeks that looked like one month.

The service year too was still the shortest - from February to December.

Leaving the camp then, we were given questionnaires to fill on the way forward for the scheme.

What I suggested then is what I am still going to suggest now on the way forward for this noble scheme.

Presently as it stands , NYSC has outlived its usefulness as originally planned.

A very laudable program that requires modification and twerking to suit the present day Nigeria.

It should not be scrapped but rather restructured.

The scheme should be reduced to six months.

But the mandatory one year (monthly) allowance must be maintained.

The scheme should be broken down into three phases.

Each phase should last just two months.

During this six months every corp member must enjoy his/her monthly allowance.

At the end of the six months every corp member should be disengaged and six months allowance paid in full to prepare them for live in the larger society.

Phase 1- Security Training

Every corp member should be made to undergo two months compulsory security/military training.

The most basic security/military training must be given to every Nigerian graduate.

This is what is obtainable in Israel and the Korea nations.

At the long run, the country will have a pool of youth already endowed with the basics in private and public defence mechanisms who can always and easily be called upon in terms of emergency.

Other nations have military reserves and these can serve the same purpose.

Phase 2 - Food security

For the purpose of food security , depending on the season of call up, all corp member should be engaged in one form of agriculture or the other for the next two months.

Every state as a matter of fact must provide land for farming, facilities for poultry, piggery, fishery etc.

Depending on the season, any batch that comes in, continues from where the last batch ended.

For example, if it is for cropping, if batch A does the planting , batch B or C does the tending, the harvesting and as well the marketing if need be.

Every state must provide silos for storage after harvesting.

The States should as well partner NYSC and NGOs with the procurement and provision of necessary preservation equipments like cold rooms, drying/heating equipments.

Mills should be built in areas where cereals and legumes are foremost.

Hatchery facilities should also be procured .

Phase 3 - National Orientation

This phase that will also last for two months, takes care of the inter cultural and inter religious relationships of the diverse tribes and religions that make up the country.

Here every corp member must be taught all they need to know about their host community, state and tribe.

This is where the seed of "ONE" Nigeria must be sowed.

Integration and assimilation should be the bed rock of this phase.

In my opinion , the era of one who read Literature in the the Higher Institution, having a god father in NNPC and consequently securing a job in NNPC will be a thing of the past.

A History graduate can no longer serve in CBN because he has an oga at top.

With this plan or restructure every corp member will be highly productive to the nation.

Not this idea of CDS, that doesn't have meaning.

To me this is a better way to go
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Cyphar(m): 11:47am On Jul 09, 2023
Monzze:
2020 Batch C @Sokoto State
despite coronavirus pandemic I still enjoy it in the best way I can.

I could remember the first day I arrived at the camp @ wammako, I've never been exposed to such cold in my life.
Sokoto's weather is ABNORMAL

My brother...... I see you .... I miss sokoto too....๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: NYSC Is 50! Please Tell The World Where You Served. by Monzze: 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2023
Cyphar:

My brother...... I see you .... I miss sokoto too....๐Ÿ˜‚
It's a good memory bro. na Tambuwal LGA Dem drop me. what about you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Alawe Increment How True? / A thread for corpers posted to Ebonyi / My NYSC Experience In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.