Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death (49919 Views)

Actor Saint Obi Dies At 57 / Chico Ejiro Is Dead / Zeb Ejiro To Declare His Political Ambition February 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by ExclusiveBet: 6:25pm On May 18, 2023
Saint Obi: Failed marriage led to his death — Zeb Ejiro

…How I discovered him as a movie star

If there’s anybody that will hardly erase the sad end of Nollywood actor, Obinna Nwafor, popularly called Saint Obi, from his memory, that person should be legendary filmmaker, Zeb Ejiro.

In fact, since the sad news of Saint Obi’s demise hit the internet like a thunderbolt, last Saturday, Ejiro has been reminiscing on how his path and that of the deceased crossed.

For the sheikh of Nollywood, destiny and work brought them together and, since then, Obi had never left Ejiro’s side.

The legendary filmmaker recalled that he met Saint Obi, while he was planning to shoot his 1998 advocacy movie on HIV/AIDS, titled ‘Goodbye Tomorrow’.

The movie, partly sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation, WHO, was one of Ejiro’s biggest movies ever.

According to Ejiro, RMD was supposed to play the lead role (Mark Alade) in the movie but, barely two weeks to commence the shooting, the veteran actor lost his priceless wife, Mee, to the cold hands of death. A situation which paved the way for Saint Obi to shine, as RMD had recommended him to Ejiro.

First contact with Saint Obi

Recalling how their paths crossed, Ejiro said “We had completed casting and were getting ready to hit the location, when a tall handsome young man strolled into my office in Surulere.

RMD was supposed to play the lead character, alongside Hilda Dokubo. We had concluded plans to commence production but, two weeks to hit location, RMD’s wife, Mee, passed on.

“It was obvious that RMD would not be part of the production after we had put everything in place. So, I was considering a lot of actors to replace RMD as he was bereaved.

“Suddenly, a well-built handsome guy, light in complexion, just walked into my office in Surulere and told me that somebody had directed him to me. But immediately I set my eyes on him, I told him that you were the one I was looking for. And he said wow!

“At that point, I didn’t know if he had acted in any film before, but I just asked him if he could fit into the role and he answered in the affirmative.

“I immediately auditioned him, and he performed excellently well. That was the beginning of our story. The movie was a monster hit as Saint Obi acted alongside Dokubo. It was one of the best movies I have ever done in my life. That was my first contact with Saint Obi. After ‘Goodbye Tomorrow’, we did a lot of other movies together including “Candle Light”, TV series among others. Though Saint started his acting career in 1988, after starring in “Behind The Clouds,” a soap opera being shot in Jos.

Last telephone conversation

Speaking further, Ejiro said Saint Obi called him on the telephone two weeks before his death, after he had tried reaching him for almost one week.

Ejiro said he was remaking his popular TV series in the 90s, ‘Ripples’, and had wanted Saint Obi to be part of the production. But when he couldn’t reach him, he moved to Ibadan to commence shooting of the series.

However, two weeks before his demise, Saint called Ejiro on the telephone to intimate him about his protracted illness.

Two weeks before his demise, my phone rang and it was Saint Obi on the other end. I asked him where he had been; that everybody had been looking for him. That was when he told me that he had been down and was admitted to a hospital. He added that he had done multiple surgeries and his condition wasn’t improving. His elder sister then made arrangements to move him to Jos, where he could be given proper treatment. That was the last time we spoke, as I promised to reach out to him again. But I never did, as the next thing I heard was that Obi is no more,” Ejiro narrated.

Crashed marriage

He, however, blamed Saint’s sudden demise on his crashed marriage, adding that he couldn’t survive the shock living apart with his family.

Obi told me a couple of times that his marriage was crumbling and it was eating him up. He was a family man, somebody that loved to stay with his kids and build a happy home.

“But when his marriage crumbled, it really affected him and he never recovered from the shock till death.” When a man is not together with his family, he will be depressed. No man wants to go into that kind of situation and be happy. So, that contributed to his death
” Ejiro revealed.

Humiliated by in-laws

Similarly, popular filmmaker and journalist, Zik Zulu Okafor, who was close to the deceased recounted how the actor suffered humiliation, harassment and intimidation in the hands of his in-laws.

Quoting what Saint told him in confidence, Okafor wrote: “I do not know why my wife’s siblings see me as a gold digger. They confront me, harass and fight me in my matrimony. And my wife did nothing to stop them. I work hard, I earn my money. I have never depended on my wife “

Parting with wife

The actor and his wife, Linda Amobi, parted ways last year after a running battle over the custody of their three children. The couple married in 2006 and have three children, two boys and a girl, together.“

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/saint-obi-failed-marriage-led-to-his-death-zeb-ejiro/amp/

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Hhansome(m): 6:27pm On May 18, 2023
Rip Saint Obi.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:03pm On May 19, 2023
Lobatan... obviously the sisters to 'SAINT OBI' are bad blood, Gender backing gender!

Don't misquote me, good ladies are out there, but discovering them is like a business of GOLD & DIAMOND MINNING!

Very soon, the TABLE go Turn, na dem go dey Pay GROOM'S PRICE with us SIGNING "PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT" .. MARRIAGE is LIKE A ROUND ABOUT WITH FOUR LANES JUNCTIONS, u miss am na 3rd mainland bridge no quick u turn oo.
CHOOSE YOUR DEVIL WISELY

vivavik:

The story narrated said, siblings and you assumed they are her sisters?
The first story by Zik mentioned her brothers fought and beat him up, until the wife tells her own side of the story, this accusations will keep coming.
Don't get confused, its Saint Obi's Sisters [ one in Jos & USA].

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by maureensylvia(f): 8:03pm On May 19, 2023
This thing called marriage!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by millionboi2: 8:05pm On May 19, 2023
Why now

1 Like

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by EnEnPeecee: 8:05pm On May 19, 2023
Make una rest bikonu.

But on a serious note, Saint Obi should have picked his life up after the divorce and move on speedily. He allows the shock of his failed marriage to overwhelm him.
However, it is not easy to let go of a union that have lasted more than two decades. He should have bring in elders from both families to settle their disputes. I am really pained by his death because he is my best actor and any time I saw him in a movie I feel some sense of relief and joy. He looks exactly like my late dad. Tall, fair, pointed nose and handsome.
May the soul of Saint Obi and other departed souls through the mercy of the living God rest in peace amen. Good bye my role model and may God be with your soul amen

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by DrOBD(m): 8:06pm On May 19, 2023
He had health challenges and non of his big men friend could help him?

He has gone to rest now, may God rest his soul, amen.

34 Likes

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 19, 2023
Wealthoptulent:
Lobatan... obviously the sisters are bad blood, Gender backing gender!

Don't misquote me, good ladies are out there, but discovering them is like a business of GOLD & DIAMOND MINNING!

Very soon, the TABLE go Turn

True.

4 Likes

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by AsomStructures: 8:07pm On May 19, 2023
One of nollywood talented actors..

See our just concluded 3bedroom bungalow construction if you're about starting your building project.. Link in my signature. Plus we offer building designs and construction services nationwide

4 Likes

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Johnnoah1st: 8:07pm On May 19, 2023
De
Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Kittiboy: 8:07pm On May 19, 2023
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by zolajpower: 8:08pm On May 19, 2023
angry
Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Adesomoakins: 8:08pm On May 19, 2023
Failed married? It is well...........

1 Like

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by zolajpower: 8:09pm On May 19, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

Very soon, the TABLE go Turn, na dem go dey Pay GROOM'S PRICE with us SIGNING "PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT" .. MARRIAGE is LIKE A ROUND ABOUT WITH FOUR LANES JUNCTIONS, u miss am na 3rd mainland bridge no quick u turn oo

grin
Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:10pm On May 19, 2023
Culled :......
Saint looked 15 years older than his age. His macho cut had shrunk. His fat wallet was gone.
What was left was only his fat will. His eyes seemed lost in their socket.
This would be the last time I would see him.

"Saint snuck out of Lagos to hang in with his sister in Jos. He told no one.
But a month ago, in April precisely, the once delightful actor who brought joy to many a home broke his icy silence.
He called our mutual friend in US to give him a devastating message. He was on a deathbed, he said and wanted our friend to pray for him. “It’s not looking good, pray, pray for me”, he appealed passionately.

"His next call came on May 1, 2023.
This time to his mentor, the man who made him a star with his productions, Zeb Ejiro, OON.
He told him with a wavering voice that he had had three surgeries but was still in hospital in Jos. He averred again that his situation was not looking good, that he is also in a deep pain, distressed that he could not see his children.
But still he begged him not to tell anyone about his ailment. Such was the life of this creative hermit, a lonely trouper.
I was the first to hear the news of his death late on Sunday, May 7. Having confirmed it,
I called Zeb Ejiro. “I have a very bad news my brother, Zeb”, I began.

“What is it, what is it, Zik Zulu?”, he asked anxiously. “A big star has fallen in Nollywood”. Zeb broke down in tears.
I hadn’t said who it was. But sobbing helplessly now, he said,
“Don’t tell me it is Saint Obi”. Sadly, Zeb was right. May his soul find peace."

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:10pm On May 19, 2023
Continue.....

It took another three years for Saint to return to his homies.
But when he did, some of the deeply disappointed ones sniggered behind him.
This was because the simmering rumours of cracks in his marriage had hit home.
And though secretive in his ways, he knew it was time to open up. And he did. “I do not know why my wife’s sibblings see me as a gold digger.
They confront me, harass and fight me in my own matrimony.
And my wife did nothing to stop them. I work hard, I earn my money. I have never depended on my wife”, he lamented, eyes blurred with tears. You could tell he was in deep pain.
By the next visit, the Saint returned with a deep cut from knife on his left eye.
His wife’s brothers, he said, scaled the wall fence of their house to attack him. They were captured by hidden closed-circuit television, CCTV, installed for surveillance and security, he revealed.

"He reported them at the police station and subsequently acquired a gun to defend himself. This effectively marked the beginning of the end of his marriage and perhaps Saint Obi’s long walk to a sad end.
He moved out of his marital home to a new house to begin the reconstruction of his destiny, alone without his wife and worse still without his three beautiful children.

"Meanwhile, his wife went to the police to defend her sibblings using her financial power to manipulate the cause of justice, Saint stated unequivocally.
The wife also sued for divorce, not in Lagos, but in Ogun state. As Saint put it, “It was to make the journey difficult for me.
But I will not bend neither will I break. I will fight with my last blood to take custody of my children. They love me and they know it will be hard for me to live without them.
The divorce is not an issue.
My marriage has long been over”, he said with a mix of courage and a quaky heart that betrayed his distress.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Guyman01: 8:10pm On May 19, 2023
Those "wicked" RedPillers have turned me around to a point that the other gender can no longer put me in a stage of depression, I go on the offensive before they declare war.
I suffered that year as a SIMPle man

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 8:11pm On May 19, 2023
In essence divorce led to his quick death because he was a family man...
Elon musk n Bill gate n Bezoz Dem wey divorce nkor.

Moral lesson.

Don't be a family man, so you can always move on with life.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by tenpipsperday: 8:11pm On May 19, 2023
I hope the wife and her family will now go and collect medal

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by GeneralPula: 8:12pm On May 19, 2023
World people..

Make them rest..

4 Likes

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Oromoni619: 8:12pm On May 19, 2023
Wahala
I like Saint obi sha, but I love the real obi more
God help us all

Abeg Tomorrow na market, for all sport lovers
I'm available

2 Likes

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by isblog(m): 8:13pm On May 19, 2023
His failed marriage affected him and worsened his health condition. Once married and in tune with your family, it affects you positively and where it fails, negatively. It will take God to really balance

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by vivavik(f): 8:13pm On May 19, 2023
Wealthoptulent:

Very soon, the TABLE go Turn, na dem go dey Pay GROOM'S PRICE with us SIGNING "PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT" .. MARRIAGE is LIKE A ROUND ABOUT WITH FOUR LANES JUNCTIONS, u miss am na 3rd mainland bridge no quick u turn oo

The story narrated said, siblings and you assumed they are her sisters?
The first story by Zik mentioned her brothers fought and beat him up, until the wife tells her own side of the story, this accusations will keep coming.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by inoki247: 8:13pm On May 19, 2023
You people should allow this man rest...

2 Likes

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by MasterJayJay: 8:14pm On May 19, 2023
Surgery to cure depression?
Make una rest.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Neddstark: 8:14pm On May 19, 2023
The is a case of women supporting their rich gender against their own blood brother. Fear Women. Men need to start helping themselves. RIP Obinna Nwafor.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by rahmontech(m): 8:14pm On May 19, 2023
Is Suen now using Google Adsense or what?? angry
Re: Zeb Ejiro Speaks About Saint Obi & His Death by Houseofglam7(f): 8:14pm On May 19, 2023
cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Davido's Daughter, Hailey Adeleke Feeds Herself With Eba And Soup (Photos) / BBNaija: Tobi’s Girlfriend, Regina, Reacts After He Emerged As 2nd Runner Up / Kelly Hansome: My Problem Began After Timaya Introduced Me To My Baby Mama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.