Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463894 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 4:13pm On Aug 04, 2023
adefoluk:
I can provide you information regarding the research/academic route if that's what you need. You can drop your email

hi, pls send me this info :

pugnwa@yahoo.com

thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Superex(m): 4:51pm On Aug 04, 2023
Please how do you guys transport in the UK. I just booked my flight from Lagos, but I don't know what type to transit to take from Heathrow airport to my destination. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2023
Chreze:

”.

We can go on. When people talk about correction, it’s not just flogging, it’s punishments. It’s not always FEAR, it’s respect. Imagine a little girl not even up to 10 shouting at her mum like she can take care of herself if given the opportunity. Then the parent is scared to caution her cos she will be reported and arrested.

Thank you for refining my earlier statements. I believe you've accurately summarized our conversation regarding discipline and cultural values in Nigeria. The situation here is distinct. Despite the presence of Generations Z, A, and millennials, who introduce diverse behaviors, comparing the lack of respect among youth in the UK to that in Nigeria isn't something to be debating on. Even though there might be many disrespect among the younger generation, the contrast remains stark. In the UK, it's not uncommon to encounter incidents like teenage smoking on trains, talking back to parents. In Nigeria, however, such behavior still largely occurs discreetly due to our society's prevailing disapproval of it

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 5:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
heroshark:

I don't think discipline has anything to do with beating/flogging a child, we have that in Nigeria yet the rate of cultism particularly in low income neighborhoods is staggering. Can you say teenages are better behaved in Nigeria compared to the UK due to the training they recieved?

Nigerians need to unlearn the habit that beating a child equals disciplining the child.

As much as I oppose beating, I believe a factory reset slap can be effective.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 6:09pm On Aug 04, 2023
Please, I need recommendations for reliable shipping company from Uk to Nigeria.

DHL and co look so expensive

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Luada(m): 6:43pm On Aug 04, 2023
Superex:
Please how do you guys transport in the UK. I just booked my flight from Lagos, but I don't know what type to transit to take from Heathrow airport to my destination. Thanks

What your final destination

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:31pm On Aug 04, 2023
Akorkor:

Thank you for refining my earlier statements. I believe you've accurately summarized our conversation regarding discipline and cultural values in Nigeria. The situation here is distinct. Despite the presence of Generations Z, A, and millennials, who introduce diverse behaviors, comparing the lack of respect among youth in the UK to that in Nigeria isn't something to be debating on. Even though there might be many disrespect among the younger generation, the contrast remains stark. In the UK, it's not uncommon to encounter incidents like teenage smoking on trains, talking back to parents. In Nigeria, however, such behavior still largely occurs discreetly due to our society's prevailing disapproval of it

Sample below grin

https://twitter.com/CensoredMen/status/1687451507287785472?t=pv_tTZr1F-p7cxqRKKKkhQ&s=19
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2023
joe10:

Please, i am confused here. Do you mean that when the MA is schooling while the dependant gets a job with COS and intends to be the MA for ILR, ILR start counting from when the dependant (new MA for ILR) starts working or when the former MA (new dependant for ILR) gets a job with COS?
You are mis-interpreting the statement. When you get a Tier-2 visa and you have a partner, technically you become the MA and your partner becomes a dependant if they decide to apply under you.

Therefore, to get ILR in 5 years, you that got the Tier-2 must be the MA for 5 years, and your partner must be a dependant for 5 years. That's all.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 9:27pm On Aug 04, 2023
AgentXxx:
Goodday Sirs/Mas, please is there any update that full time student and dependent have to pay council tax because a friend of mine have been having issues on this with Croydon Council oo, I have checked everywhere and I can’t find anywhere it says student is entitled to 25% while dependent will pay full. Please advise me oo as I have been telling them to ignore any threat mails they send to them.

Thanks in advance.
On this, I helped draft the email below and so far, I have had 100% success rate from people I shared with. Let the student send this to the council ccing the partner.

Good evening,
My name is xx, a full-time international student at xx University and my partner's name is xx.
I reside at xx. I had initially requested a council tax exemption as a full-time student but was told my partner is a liable party for council tax because he is not a full-time student. We received the attached bill to this effect for the period xx 2022 - xx 2023 wherein it was split into xx equal installments.

However, Article 3 of the Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order, SI 1992/558 provides that 'A dwelling is exempt from council tax if it falls within any of the following Class N: a dwelling which is either:
(a) occupied by one or more residents all of whom are relevant persons;
(b) occupied only by one or more relevant persons as term time accommodation.

A relevant person means:
(i) a student;
(ii) a student's spouse or dependant being in each case a person who is not a British citizen and who is prevented, by the terms of his leave to enter or remain in the UK, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits or (iii) a person to whom Class C (school or college leavers) of regulation 3(1) of the Council Tax (Additional Provision for Discount Disregards) Regulation 1992 applies.

From the foregoing, please note that I belong to category a(i) I am a student and my partner belongs to category a(ii) he is the spouse of a student. We are both non-British citizens and his visa prevents him from claiming benefits. Subsequently, we qualify for the 100% council tax exemption.

Furthermore, please see below links citing cases whereby 100% exemptions were granted to student dependants by the Court:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article

We look forward to your kind response..

Councils dread court cases most times as it does not make sense to be dragged to court for £150/m tax.

36 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Geloj: 10:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
Top men in the house, I just booked for my nigerian passport renewal and the appointment date I could secure was the end of October.

Is it possible to get an earlier date for appointment?

How can I go about it?

I have a huge deadline soon.

If anyone can help, please help me with update abeg.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:57pm On Aug 04, 2023
Stevepop:
Hi everyone, I just need someone to allay my fears and worries as I've been refreshing my mail every seconds.

We are currently in the process of buying an apartment. Our deposit is in a LISA account and the source is savings from salary and ajo/esusu/thrift. Coincidentally, the day we made reservation was when i came across a post on facebook group that some solicitors reject savings from thrift due to AML (and I think it's simply because some of the solicitors are rigid or simply do not understand the concept) while some are flexible about the whole thing. I've been on panic mode and really worried. Our solicitors have asked for proof of funds which I've supplied, I also explained all required inflows and attached the ajo agreement, hoping that would suffice, but haven't heard anything back from them (though I sent it 24 hours ago smiley).

Just wanted to ask if anyone used savings from Ajo for house purchase (as I'm guessing it should be a common thing with Nigerians here). How did you go about it? and did you encounter any issues?

Thanks in advance.

As you have explained to the solicitor, hopefully they will understand.

We used savings and funds from our LISA accounts and it was acceptable by our solicitor.

I do not do ajo...

Rent money is dead money according to Lexusgs430....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Queengolden(f): 11:27pm On Aug 04, 2023
gmacnoms:
Please, I need recommendations for reliable shipping company from Uk to Nigeria.

DHL and co look so expensive
look for any nearby shipping ports, people do send containers to Nigeria every now and then, liase with a reliable individual that owns one of em and transact, you will just have someone to help receive in Lagos, probably apapa or alaba international, I can assist with one if you're in Liverpool

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 1:16am On Aug 05, 2023
Queengolden:
look for any nearby shipping ports, people do send containers to Nigeria every now and then, liase with a reliable individual that owns one of em and transact, you will just have someone to help receive in Lagos, probably apapa or alaba international, I can assist with one if you're in Liverpool
Thanks for this.
I am in Bristol, but if you have someone that’s reliable in Liverpool, I don’t mind using them, while I get one close to me in Bristol.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 5:47am On Aug 05, 2023
davide470:
On this, I helped draft the email below and so far, I have had 100% success rate from people I shared with. Let the student send this to the council ccing the partner.

Good evening,
My name is xx, a full-time international student at xx University and my partner's name is xx.
I reside at xx. I had initially requested a council tax exemption as a full-time student but was told my partner is a liable party for council tax because he is not a full-time student. We received the attached bill to this effect for the period xx 2022 - xx 2023 wherein it was split into xx equal installments.

However, Article 3 of the Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order, SI 1992/558 provides that 'A dwelling is exempt from council tax if it falls within any of the following Class N: a dwelling which is either:
(a) occupied by one or more residents all of whom are relevant persons;
(b) occupied only by one or more relevant persons as term time accommodation.

A relevant person means:
(i) a student;
(ii) a student's spouse or dependant being in each case a person who is not a British citizen and who is prevented, by the terms of his leave to enter or remain in the UK, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits or (iii) a person to whom Class C (school or college leavers) of regulation 3(1) of the Council Tax (Additional Provision for Discount Disregards) Regulation 1992 applies.

From the foregoing, please note that I belong to category a(i) I am a student and my partner belongs to category a(ii) he is the spouse of a student. We are both non-British citizens and his visa prevents him from claiming benefits. Subsequently, we qualify for the 100% council tax exemption.

Furthermore, please see below links citing cases whereby 100% exemptions were granted to student dependants by the Court:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article

We look forward to your kind response..

Councils dread court cases most times as it does not make sense to be dragged to court for £150/m tax.

Seun suppose find way wey person fit dey pin important information on the front page of every thread on nairaland, so we don't have to start going over pages for important information or tips like this. This is apt and should be a template for anyone with student / council tax issues. Well done

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:07am On Aug 05, 2023
Geloj:
Top men in the house, I just booked for my nigerian passport renewal and the appointment date I could secure was the end of October.

Is it possible to get an earlier date for appointment?

How can I go about it?

I have a huge deadline soon.

If anyone can help, please help me with update abeg.

Unfortunately, I doubt you can do much. If it's really urgent, go there and beg, unlikely, but they may help if it's life or death.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 9:17am On Aug 05, 2023
Hamof:
Good morning everyone in the house, please I will be coming to Manchester next month so I want to have an idea of what to expect in the aspect of housing, job hunting and the environment.

Thanks
Manchester is a big place,there are cities and their are towns ,which city/town in manchester ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 9:20am On Aug 05, 2023
I just decided to check on a thread I did follow back in Naija by @chiggslover and got the shock of my life. He committed suicide. Probed further on his telegram group and found out he joined a certain group on twitter "Earth Citizen Movement " whose philosophy welcomes the idea of taking your life.

It is sad baring the fact that this guy was a very brilliant fellow and had a lot of information he gave out free. Many people are in Ireland because of the light he brought.

On a very serious and unfortunate note, He started bashing Christianity and mocking the practise of same in Nigeria. He did say a lot of awful things which is not new to what people who had no roots in God do when they transfer to saner climes.

I am bringing this here, because it is very very easy to say damn whatever Faith you believe in. The same Faith that kept you and gave you mental grit to face challenges. The same God you once loved and worshipped in Naija. Now , you have seen uninterrupted electricity, good roads, working environment and you now mock people back home for choosing to stay steadfast to their beliefs.

People drift into atheism and the likes here and suddenly feel they are in charge. I would have had no problem if this is where it stops.

But....... see how they eventually brainwashed this amazing guy into believing that he was doing the earth a great deal by ending his own life. Isn't this the description of folly?
Good job, good country, good prospects .... yet you took your own life in your prime.

(Modified: I am not in anyway saying the young man's demise was because he was mocking God or Christians, I am simply stating that His downward Spiral started at this point. Just maybe, he could have gotten help from a community of believers or someone may have shared a word of encouragement or prayer with him. Maybe he was too alone and the dark Web took him out without any line of defence)

Certainly,there's a void in every human that only God can fill.

Please look out for your family and friends here. Discuss and find out if they are wavering in their mental or spiritual balance. Help them and talk nonsense out of their heads.

Satan just packaged and sold a program to this guy and took him out. It was subtle but had a certain pathway.

Don't abandon your FAITH when you travel abroad.

Stay SANE

stay ALIVE

Good Morning!!!

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ayayi(m): 9:39am On Aug 05, 2023
ebukson:
Hi @adefoluk
Please I'll want to connect with you. I am trying to apply for the global talent visa and would need your help. Can we connect?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:58am On Aug 05, 2023
How do you guys watch the world cup, my iptv is refusing to show channels. After the 5th retry attempt, it does not load the channel.

Could it be that it has expired?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:03am On Aug 05, 2023
gergemam:

Says who... If you Sabi person hin know dey reach 1-3 weeks

Explain abeg. Who/what is the escalation contact? cry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:05am On Aug 05, 2023
DadR:
Collection may not take up to 3 months I think. My Son did biometrics on May 23rd and his new passport was delivered to us on July 15th.

@hustla

This means that they are not following the queue accordingly. My biometrics was on 2nd May and I’m still waiting. Did you follow up with them at any point? If you can share the contact details, that’ll be helpful. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DOK987: 12:30pm On Aug 05, 2023
Hey people, if anyone is interested in getting some items from Nigeria delivered in 2 weeks time, feel free to let me know. My friend is coming and has two 23kg free luggage boxes (not bringing much because she wants to do bulk shopping). If you need anything (must be bought by her in supermarket, stores etc.. , she will not be accepting pre-packed items from your family or friends) just send the list and you will only need to make payment when your goods are delivered to you in UK ( serious and genuine people only should reply, no time wasters or fraud thanks).

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lordfiido(m): 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2023
DOK987:
Hey people, if anyone is interested in getting some items from Nigeria delivered in 2 weeks time, feel free to let me know. My friend is coming and has two 23kg free luggage boxes (not bringing much because she wants to do bulk shopping). If you need anything (must be bought by her in supermarket, stores etc.. , she will not be accepting pre-packed items from your family or friends) just send the list and you will only need to make payment when your goods are delivered to you in UK ( serious and genuine people only should reply, no time wasters or fraud thanks).
I just sent a pm to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:11pm On Aug 05, 2023
What happened to Amex card. It use to be on my Experian profile with 19% Apr but nowadays the cards I see are from 34% apr upwards
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2023
rinzylee:
I just decided to check on a thread I did follow back in Naija by @chiggslover and got the shock of my life. He committed suicide. Probed further on his telegram group and found out he joined a certain group on twitter "Earth Citizen Movement " whose philosophy welcomes the idea of taking your life.

It is sad baring the fact that this guy was a very brilliant fellow and had a lot of information he gave out free. Many people are in Ireland because of the light he brought.

On a very serious and unfortunate note, He started bashing Christianity and mocking the practise of same in Nigeria. He did say a lot of awful things which is not new to what people who had no roots in God do when they transfer to saner climes.

I am bringing this here, because it is very very easy to say damn whatever Faith you believe in. The same Faith that kept you and gave you mental grit to face challenges. The same God you once loved and worshipped in Naija. Now , you have seen uninterrupted electricity, good roads, working environment and you now mock people back home for choosing to stay steadfast to their beliefs.

People drift into atheism and the likes here and suddenly feel they are in charge. I would have had no problem if this is where it stops.

But....... see how they eventually brainwashed this amazing guy into believing that he was doing the earth a great deal by ending his own life. Isn't this the description of folly?
Good job, good country, good prospects .... yet you took your own life in your prime.

Certainly,there's a void in every human that only God can fill.

Please look out for your family and friends here. Discuss and find out if they are wavering in their mental or spiritual balance. Help them and talk nonsense out of their heads.

Satan just packaged and sold a program to this guy and took him out. It was subtle but had a certain pathway.

Don't abandon your FAITH when you travel abroad.

Stay SANE

stay ALIVE

Good Morning!!!

How did you managed to link his death to him mocking people back home for choosing to stay steadfast to their beliefs.?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2023
I beg I get one question, what is wrong with Cat N cars? One Audi dey enter my eye but it’s Cat N.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Eddygourdo(m): 4:16pm On Aug 05, 2023
Hello house,

Please help with information. Is turkish transit visa required to travel from Nigeria to Manchester?

I keep hearing conflicting information. The person travelling has a transit time of 4hours thereabouts and doesn't intend to leave the airport.

Kindly advise for those who use that route to travel.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 4:38pm On Aug 05, 2023
Eddygourdo:
Hello house,

Please help with information. Is turkish transit visa required to travel from Nigeria to Manchester?

I keep hearing conflicting information. The person travelling has a transit time of 4hours thereabouts and doesn't intend to leave the airport.

Kindly advise for those who use that route to travel.

You don't need a transit visa as long as you are not leaving the airport.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DadR: 4:40pm On Aug 05, 2023
I did not do any follow up and do not have any contact details. I was also surprised when I received the parcel because I wasn't expecting it soon.

SamReinvented:

This means that they are not following the queue accordingly. My biometrics was on 2nd May and I’m still waiting. Did you follow up with them at any point? If you can share the contact details, that’ll be helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 4:49pm On Aug 05, 2023
Superex:

You have so many options. The cheapest should be National Express. Just go to their website nationalexpress.com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:05pm On Aug 05, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
I beg I get one question, what is wrong with Cat N cars? One Audi dey enter my eye but it’s Cat N.

Nothing.......

But conduct a car vertical check, to check pictures of damages sustained ......

If you intend to sell vehicle later, expect low balling + difficulty in reselling (same apprehension you are having now, is what future buyers too, would display)......

But if you're prepared to use the vehicle, till the engine drops...... You would get a considerable discount........

NB: Point to note - : If you're involved in an accident, your insurance company would NEVER write a vehicle off twice...... 🤣😂

Cat N - Non structural damage.......

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:06pm On Aug 05, 2023
Superex:

What's your destination........

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: igbsam(m), Agidipie and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.