Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,637 members, 7,813,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (461306 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 11:18pm On Aug 14, 2023
How do you know which fuel is right or wrong for your vehicle please. I’ve been seeing two types of petrol and I’ve tried both on the car. Do you have an idea how one can know the best fuel(petrol) type for car ?

Thanks

Schoolhike:

Learnt from watching YouTube video or from seeing someone getting it done directly?

I get frustrated when my mechanics get to tax me all over again after taxing the parts used to repair the car, like for instance I get taxed for buying a particular part bought by my mechanic which has already been taxed by the seller and my mechanic will also tax it again when summing up, really crazy.

I saved a lot during my last mot by buying part my self directly from eBay.

Was seeing 77£ on eBay and 180£ from offline shops really crazy difference.

Took my car to a service centre that does interim checks while also recommending some actions or repairs that needs done, from there I gathered the list of parts I also felt needed and I bought them all from eBay, (make sure you ask the seller to check the exact type for you and also do you research very well also).

Spent 270£ on parts which would have been around over 550£ of bought from offline store.

NB: Don’t make a mistake of putting wrong fuel in your car oh, lol cost me I think 150£ (still have the receipt) and I still loose another 90£ worth of fuel after listening to a bad advice of putting more fuel. Initially bought petrol of 25£ and upon knowing, was advised by someone to add extra diesel to mix it, I bought extra 70£ worth of the supreme grade diesel. On my way home problem start. (Was that time when diesel was almost 1.9£/liter). Struggled to get it home. Can’t afford to pay for another towing vehicle.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by voucher(f): 11:28pm On Aug 14, 2023
Good evening house, please what site can I check to get an apartment for a family of 5 in London? I need the information for my Pre CAS interview, I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this as the site i was asked to check is confusing..thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 11:32pm On Aug 14, 2023
Best option is look at Airbnb first and when you arrive, you now work towards a permanent solution. But you can check on Zoopla, OpenRent, RightMove websites for an idea into these.

What other information do you need for your pre-CAS? You might need to look in the other thread dedicated to UK Tier 4 Visa https://www.nairaland.com/7767052/uk-student-visa-tier-4#124465678

voucher:
Good evening house, please what site can I check to get an apartment for a family of 5 in London? I need the information for my Pre CAS interview, I don’t know if this is the right place to ask this as the site i was asked to check is confusing..thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2023
harddrive2012:
How do you know which fuel is right or wrong for your vehicle please. I’ve been seeing two types of petrol and I’ve tried both on the car. Do you have an idea how one can know the best fuel(petrol) type for car ?

Thanks

Was actually buying the supreme before, but I stoped it because it’s more expensive and read few articles online that it doesn’t really matter on the fuel type, but some argue that it’s saves on fuel cost as it doesn’t burn quicker compared to the second option.

I just decided to stop buying it since my car is not the high end type, and it’s getting old already.

Another argument was that someone needs to be consistent with the fuel type right from when the car was bought brand new, since mine has been used by several people, I don’t just feel the need to be buying expensive fuel.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 11:54pm On Aug 14, 2023
harddrive2012:

Thanks

The person you're quoting mistakenly put petrol in a diesel car. They're not talking about different kinds of petrol. With those, there's little, if any *practical* difference.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 12:00am On Aug 15, 2023
Thank you. Since na used car, make I just pick one and stick by it

Schoolhike:

Was actually buying the supreme before, but I stoped it because it’s more expensive and read few articles online that it doesn’t really matter on the fuel type, but some argue that it’s saves on fuel cost as it doesn’t burn quicker compared to the second option.

I just decided to stop buying it since my car is not the high end type, and it’s getting old already.

Another argument was that someone needs to be consistent with the fuel type right from when the car was bought brand new, since mine has been used by several people, I don’t just feel the need to be buying expensive fuel.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 12:01am On Aug 15, 2023
I guess there’s no much difference den. Thanks

koonbey:

The person you're quoting mistakenly put petrol in a diesel car. They're not talking about different kinds of petrol. With those, there's little, if any *practical* difference.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by voucher(f): 1:46am On Aug 15, 2023
bigtt76:
Best option is look at Airbnb first and when you arrive, you now work towards a permanent solution. But you can check on Zoopla, OpenRent, RightMove websites for an idea into these.

What other information do you need for your pre-CAS? You might need to look in the other thread dedicated to UK Tier 4 Visa https://www.nairaland.com/7767052/uk-student-visa-tier-4#124465678

Okay thank you so much.. No i mean that they will ask me where i will be living in the pre CAS interview..

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by voucher(f): 1:47am On Aug 15, 2023
bigtt76:

Okay thank you so much.. No i mean that they will ask me where i will be living in the pre CAS interview..

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 5:05am On Aug 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I wash my cars at home, with my own hands ....... It's another form of exercise, once I finish washing outside, I grab the cordless vacuum, for the interiors ........

Why would I pay a car wash £15 each time.........🤣😜

Na Ijebu you be? let the car washers breathe ke!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hclinton: 6:02am On Aug 15, 2023
Please how do one apply for Nigeria Police character check from UK. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BeckyB1(f): 6:46am On Aug 15, 2023
About N169k

jum33:
Pls does anyone know the cost of extra baggage in naira for Turkish airline
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:53am On Aug 15, 2023
Goke7:

Na Ijebu you be? let the car washers breathe ke!

Ijebu Imushin, to be precise........ 🤣😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 8:59am On Aug 15, 2023
zeezeepearl:
Pls gurus in the house kindly advise

I just got this email from my employer ''In relation to your Sponsorship application, as the hourly rate for your proposed role does not meet the criteria, we may be able to proceed if we can change your offer , whereby you work night shifts. Would this be suitable for you?

I am tired !

And I raised this issue last time during my AccessNI that the hourly pay was supposed to be 10.75 and not 10.70 and my manager said the annual salary is over 20,960 because I will be working 40hrs/week.

I’ld advise you take the night offer so can proceed with the application. When you are finally in, maybe some few months after, you can have a word with your manager and hopefully you are able to switch to being a day staff.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:59am On Aug 15, 2023
Yes you will be asked those questions but it is fine to say that you are currently in talks with landlords and agents on those platforms I shared. They will understand that you do not need to have a contract in place before you get your visa.

[quote author=voucher post=125117856][/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 11:31am On Aug 15, 2023
ukay2:

Same thing....

My neighbour has joined me too....lol...

Just to confirm is this also applicable to those of us that park on the street?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RealBae: 11:44am On Aug 15, 2023
Please how do one apply for UK license after driving with international license for 12 months. The DVLA is confusing. I want to understand where to start from. Do i need to apply for provisional license first? I was thinking is for new drivers. Abeg make una explain give me.

Also can one switch expired license to UK license. (The expired license is from designated countries approve by UK)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:06pm On Aug 15, 2023
I applied for a change of address on my provisional licence on Dvla website but didn’t get mail or feedback from them. Has anyone try changing address on their provisional license here ?

What were the steps you took?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:27pm On Aug 15, 2023
Zahra29:

The letter mostly looks and sounds authentic.I'd query the dates highlighted by HO as they are outside of the student visa expiry date, not sure that still counts as term time?
I have heard of a few cases recently where leave has been cancelled or refused due to working over 20 hours so it does sound like HO is taking a firmer stance.
That letter is faker than a 3 dollar bill.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 12:30pm On Aug 15, 2023
Controlv:

Just to confirm is this also applicable to those of us that park on the street?

l think so, but confirm from your neighbours or council grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 2:00pm On Aug 15, 2023
Yes I have. All you need to do is fill out the form online and you should get an email stating what's in the image attached. Check your SPAM folder perhaps it went in there.

lavida001:
I applied for a change of address on my provisional licence on Dvla website but didn’t get mail or feedback from them. Has anyone try changing address on their provisional license here ?

What were the steps you took?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2023
DVLA is not confused na you no read the information very well. You can't switch an expired licence. You will first get a provisional licence, do the theory test, pass the test and then book for a practical driving test
RealBae:
Please how do one apply for UK license after driving with international license for 12 months. The DVLA is confusing. I want to understand where to start from. Do i need to apply for provisional license first? I was thinking is for new drivers. Abeg make una explain give me.

Also can one switch expired license to UK license. (The expired license is from designated countries approve by UK)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Googledrive12: 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2023
Hclinton:
Please how do one apply for Nigeria Police character check from UK. Thanks

Got mine sorted by a lawyer who worked in thesame office with my brother back in Nigeria, he did overcharged me( N80k ) but I just dash him the money, I got a scanned copy in 2 days and the hard copy through DHL in 4 days. If you have someone in Lagos it will be alot cheaper and easy The guy is based in Abuja.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Googledrive12: 2:37pm On Aug 15, 2023
If anyone know an Abuja based courier service that send stuff from Abuja to London please share their details with me. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Ijebu Imushin, to be precise........ 🤣😜

I see, Awon original Economists indeed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2023
BeckyB1:
About N169k

@which rate please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 4:46pm On Aug 15, 2023
Has anyone here used egypt air before?

I'm considering egypt air, Ethiopian Airways or Air Maroc to Nigeria.

Any reviews for any of them?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2023
Passed my driving test, any tips on getting a cheaper insurance quote? These insurance companies no dey smile at all.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
Passed my driving test, any tips on getting a cheaper insurance quote? These insurance companies no dey smile at all.

You can keep searching and wait if you are not in haste as you will still get one cheaper.

Last year when I was searching for one, I keep getting £2k minimum, I waited for 2 days while still checking them, later got for £1k (note that I have Uk licence, it was new then and car is 1.6 engine, yours might be lower or higher depending on your situation).

Meanwhile, recently I think there is a current hike in price of insurance, lots of friends have been complaining about the increase in price.

Check all comparison website, quotezone, supermarkets, go compare, money savings, etc

Also, it might be tempting to increase the excess, just put amount you can afford. (A friend car got bashed recently and the driver refused to stop, he called the insurance he was told that it’s a claim against himself because he couldn’t get the other driver details even just reg number, he was told to pay the excess first which was 500£ he choose when buying out the insurance, he later repaired the car him self with 250£)

NB:Please don’t ever lie to get cheap insurance it doesn’t worth it at all, the consequence it too bad, really much more expensive on the long run and bad reputation if caught.

Edit: You can discuss with your current provider anyway.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CannyDoll: 6:24pm On Aug 15, 2023
Hello Everyone, abeg I am looking for a job, it's been almost 2 months since I started looking and nothing is forthcoming, abeg I need to pay rent. Pls if you know any agencies recruiting hook a girl up abeg, I am a student living in Manchester 🙏🙏🙏

Thanks and God bless.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dandicker: 6:37pm On Aug 15, 2023
Please house I need your assistance @ duchess90 and Advance DNA.. I applied for temporary work visa - creative as (TRADITIONAL GUITARISTS), have gone for biometrics since 31/07/2023. I just got a message from UKVI to come for interview on the 23 of August 2023. Please what are the questions should I expect them to ask. As I have my certificate of sponsorship (cos) with me. Please help me out thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 15, 2023
Dandicker:
Please house I need your assistance @ duchess90 and Advance DNA.. I applied for temporary work visa - creative as (TRADITIONAL GUITARISTS), have gone for biometrics since 31/07/2023. I just got a message from UKVI to come for interview on the 23 of August 2023. Please what are the questions should I expect them to ask. As I have my certificate of sponsorship (cos) with me. Please help me out thanks

Maybe carry your guitar along so you can show your skills?

😄

Jokes aside, I never did an interview but I’d imagine as it’s a very unique case (based on my admittedly limited knowledge) , they’ll ask questions around your experience and skill set to confirm that you’re skilled/experienced enough. Have you played in any bands/troupes etc? Been on stage anywhere notable? Credits in a record etc.?

Those are the kinds of things I’d prepare to expatiate on, if I were you. Best of luck!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Solumtoya, babajeje123(m), supo19884, Controlv and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.