Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (488042 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (555) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 6:50pm On Aug 16, 2023
Solumtoya:

We all marked the young man since.
Make sure you carry a very BIG marker and put the reminder in your sitting room 😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 6:56pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:
Please house, if you receive a letter from the council regarding waste been dropped on the highway because a document regarding your information was found in it, what should be done?

Gbege... what does the letter says
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Samopex05: 6:57pm On Aug 16, 2023
Lordfiido:

iPhone. It should work with that method

I was locked three times before I tried it.

I’m using an iPhone as well, Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adebayo82: 7:28pm On Aug 16, 2023
Please, I want to send the documents to Nigeria from UK, is it possible through royal mail or DHL? As we all knew Nigeria home address is not appropriate. I need the best parcels delivery channels that can take it to house address.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 7:30pm On Aug 16, 2023
Here is it
igbsam:

Gbege... what does the letter says

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 8:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
Egbons in the house.

Please has anyone invested in Gtbank Dollar fund? According the advert they offers over 8% interest rate. That's far better than you can get in any UK bank, it can even out perform S&S ISA.

The fact that it is dollar dominated mean offers additional protection to the naira rollercoaster madness.

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 8:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
Wow. You came in on a tier 4 visa?

IvanCardozo:

This country don cast. Idan must possess the ability to smell rubbish before it happens. The country fit wake up tomorrow, tell us we've got just 2hours to vacate their territory. Honestly, that's how much I'm scared of the UK now. It's a timebomb.

I came here a little over 1year ago. And within that time, I've got a Greece visa, Germany (twice), America and Canada visa. I always had mind to work on plan B, cuz even sponsorship work here is difficult (except for care/support).

Bro, start working on that plan B asap.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:35pm On Aug 16, 2023
iyatrustee:

On a light note, this one wey you sef don dey shout e choke cheesy cheesy abi no be you dey throw jabs at Lexus450 just a few months/weeks ago? shocked shocked.

I hope I am not mistaking you for another person though grin grin

TurnBYTurn......... 😜🤣😂

When pesin siddon, come dey talk over others wey stand for ladder...........🤣😂

To him ....... It's just a phase....... It would pass ....🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2023
heroshark:
Egbons in the house.

Please has anyone invested in Gtbank Dollar fund? According the advert they offers over 8% interest rate. That's far better than you can get in any UK bank, it can even out perform S&S ISA.

The fact that it is dollar dominated mean offers additional protection to the naira rollercoaster madness.
As an ex-investment banker, I will tell you that it is just a catchy advert.

1. Earn up to 8.09% - no guarantee that it will be up to 8.09%. It is not a fixed rate and it is subject to prevailing market conditions (US interest rate is currently 5.5%)
2. Interest is gross - subtract tax, management & interest fees, net interest rate might be 4% -5% or lower

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
Schoolhike:

NB:Please don’t ever lie to get cheap insurance it doesn’t worth it at all, the consequence it too bad, [/b]really much more expensive on the long run and bad reputation if caught.
[b]

Edit: You can discuss with your current provider anyway.

Lol, see me advising people against lying to get cheap insurance yesterday, my car had an accident today (non-fault anyway), not a single info about me was left without scrutiny from the insurance company including police.

I will say it again, please don't give false information to get cheap insurance, my candid advice.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efep: 9:14pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:
For the council tax. You’re not supposed to pay a dime. Email this message to your council and they will grant you full exemption:

On this, I helped draft the email below and so far, I have had 100% success rate from people I shared with. Let the student send this to the council ccing the partner.

Good evening,
My name is xx, a full-time international student at xx University and my partner's name is xx.
I reside at xx. I had initially requested a council tax exemption as a full-time student but was told my partner is a liable party for council tax because he is not a full-time student. We received the attached bill to this effect for the period xx 2022 - xx 2023 wherein it was split into xx equal installments.

However, Article 3 of the council tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order, SI 1992/558 provides that 'A dwelling is exempt from council tax if it falls within any of the following Class N: a dwelling which is either:
(a) occupied by one or more residents all of whom are relevant persons;
(b) occupied only by one or more relevant persons as term time accommodation.

A relevant person means:
(i) a student;
(ii) a student's spouse or dependant being in each case a person who is not a British citizen and who is prevented, by the terms of his leave to enter or remain in the UK, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits or (iii) a person to whom Class C (school or college leavers) of regulation 3(1) of the council tax (Additional Provision for Discount Disregards) Regulation 1992 applies.

From the foregoing, please note that I belong to category a(i) I am a student and my partner belongs to category a(ii) he is the spouse of a student. We are both non-British citizens and his visa prevents him from claiming benefits. Subsequently, we qualify for the 100% council tax exemption.

Furthermore, please see below links citing cases whereby 100% exemptions were granted to student dependants by the Court:
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff72860d03e7f57ea8dcf/amp
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/local-government/65852.article

We look forward to your kind response..
Copied

On the issue of working more than 20hrs you better stop it now before you land yourself in trouble. UKBA no dey smile at this moment. Ire oo

Are you saying if the person is not a British citizen or have indefinite leave to remain hence he or she is exempted from council tax
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 9:17pm On Aug 16, 2023
midey93:
Hello guys, please I need advice and it's now pretty urgent.

I'm a qualified lawyer in Nigeria and I've been in the UK as a dependent for some time now. All the jobs I'm getting are care jobs which I'm really tired of. Just want to know from those with experience in the UK or that have been there for a long time. What prospect does a Nigerian lawyer have in the UK?

I'm aware I need to write SQE to practice as a solicitor but due to paucity of funds, I can't afford that for now. What can I be doing in the interim asides care jobs? What other sector can I easily get jobs? Or what next step(s) do you think I can take

I'll appreciate any advice I can get.
Thank you

Try Civil service administrative officer(no or little experience required), executive officer, Higher executive officer, etc depending on your experience

Check some of my previous post on ways to go about it.

Been hearing some testimonies from friends,
Heard one today aswell from a friend

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 9:22pm On Aug 16, 2023
hustla:

I asked this question on the money market thread and recommendation is to convert

There are no indications that the exchange rate will improve as we have not done even the basics and probably won't do it

Best would be to convert a sizeable % and observe over time

wink
the wereys are already backtracking after their futile and foolish floating experiment. The exchange rate na less than 900 for USD as at now. Na to sharply go change am tomorrow las las at all at all na im bad pass. What's even more absurd, na the NNPC go take the loan, not even CBN or even in collaboration with CBN or Finance ministry.

Just when I was done being patriotic, and I was patiently waiting for dollar to cross 1000 so I can exchange this shikini $1000 wey dey here na that time FG decide say dem wan resume defending of the Naira again, after floating isonu. Awon ppl yi ti cut ticket mi sha🤬🤬🤬🤬😡

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RealBae: 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:
DVLA is not confused na you no read the information very well. You can't switch an expired licence. You will first get a provisional licence, do the theory test, pass the test and then book for a practical driving test

Ok
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 9:55pm On Aug 16, 2023
Adebayo82:
Please, I want to send the documents to Nigeria from UK, is it possible through royal mail or DHL? As we all knew Nigeria home address is not appropriate. I need the best parcels delivery channels that can take it to house address.

DHL
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:00pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:
Here is it

Hmmm

Respond yo them as requested please

How come your waste was found on the highway? No waste bin in your accommodation? Why not shred the documents before putting in the bins? I am just asking please

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:05pm On Aug 16, 2023
heroshark:
Egbons in the house.

It said upto 8%...not 8%

You know there's annual maintenance fee of $10 for Domiciliary accounts in Nigeria?

What lf CBN seize all funds dollar accounts in Nigeria and force everyone to withdraw naira equivalents?

Always think of RISK MANAGEMENT in all investments

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:06pm On Aug 16, 2023
davide470:
As an ex-investment banker, I will tell you that it is just a catchy advert.

1. Earn up to 8.09% - no guarantee that it will be up to 8.09%. It is not a fixed rate and it is subject to prevailing market conditions (US interest rate is currently 5.5%)
2. Interest is gross - subtract tax, management & interest fees, net interest rate might be 4% -5% or lower

If you know you know... grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:
Please house, if you receive a letter from the council regarding waste been dropped on the highway because a document regarding your information was found in it, what should be done?

What should be done depends on how your waste ended up on the highway....it's fly-tipping / illegal disposal of waste....you should complete the questionnaire you were sent with the facts

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 10:39pm On Aug 16, 2023
Rain fell on dat day and fell d fence blocking the way to the bin box, so I dropped d waste beside d waste bin…very small waste ooo, now deh re putting everything on my head.

Small kitchen waste tied in a black nylon, but deh opened it and a paper dat they used to deliver goods for me and held on to that.

Zahra29:

What should be done depends on how your waste ended up on the highway....it's fly-tipping / illegal disposal of waste....you should complete the questionnaire you were sent with the facts
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 10:40pm On Aug 16, 2023
Rain fell on dat day and fell d fence blocking the way to the bin box, so I dropped d waste beside d waste bin…very small waste ooo, now deh re putting everything on my head.

Small kitchen waste tied in a black nylon, but deh opened it and a paper dat they used to deliver goods for me and held on to that.
ukay2:

Hmmm

Respond yo them as requested please

How come your waste was found on the highway? No waste bin in your accommodation? Why not shred the documents before putting in the bins? I am just asking please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:50pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:

Unfortunately, when flytipping occurs....... They would grab anyone that exposes themselves.........

Expect a fine/court appearance........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:54pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:

Ooh dear...

Just explain to them and wishes you favourable outcome
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 10:57pm On Aug 16, 2023
Do one have to be in the tech field to apply for global talent visa?

ebukson:
Hi @adefoluk
Please I'll want to connect with you. I am trying to apply for the global talent visa and would need your help. Can we connect?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:58pm On Aug 16, 2023
hayesconcept:

I guess you'll have to explain that your path to the bins was obstructed due to the fallen/ broken fence - better still if you can obtain a photo of the fence/blocked path.

Their letter mentions black bin bags filled with waste, not just one small bag, so you might want to counter that.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
Zahra29:

I guess you'll have to explain that your path to the bins was obstructed due to the fallen/ broken fence - better still if you can obtain a photo of the fence/blocked path.

Their letter mentions black bin bags filled with waste, not just one small bag, so you might want to counter that.

They have put all the waste on his head........ 😳🙄

Nah the person wey den catch, be barawo......... 😢

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by joe10: 11:25pm On Aug 16, 2023
Good evening fam,

Pls l applied for this role with the address where i booked my accommodation and used the uk number given by TLS during biometrics. The job was posted on August 11th with no expiry date but l am landing mid-September. I am given an email to contact or number to call/message the organisation. Pls how do i respond to this mail cos l am worried that i might lose the job if i state that l am currently not in uk. Pls your advise is appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (555) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Buubuuu, Bourne007(m), Ichegirl(f), Empresski(f), 9ger and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.