Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463973 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Henix(m): 2:34pm On Oct 16, 2023
justwise:

I think buying a land is much better investment than building or buying already bult one

Yes, buying a land is a better investment than building
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2023
profemebee:
Finally caught up with all i have missed out on here...

Please, my fellow Nigerians, lets be careful with all the migrating without having money for Airbnb or hotel at least..

I'm tired of saying No to people when they ask if they can stay at mine..

I'm tired of looking like a bad person ....

It is really unfair.. saying No hurts a lot but i'm only trying to prevent long story later.. especially in this UK with smaller houses, cost of living, etc.

Also, it is better to say No than to promise to accommodate/support and then fail to do so... that's just evil.. Just say No from the start

It is better you read harsh responses here from people telling you the truth than to be exposed to the harsh reality of weather/financial struggle/renting issues/ etc........

Have a great week everyone

Interestingly enough , this not wanting to be a bad person maybe why some ppl just don't pick up their calls when new immigrants arrive. They just ghost

I think both the rejecter and rejecter need therapy in giving nos and receiving nos.

Emotional blackmail is real.

On a side note...sometimes it's the yes ppl you should be afraid of cos they may sell you 4000pounds pot. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2023
justwise:
[/b]

Even with the tumbling niara?

You seem to be looking at appreciation against Forex. Isolate property valuation from naira devaluation.

For instance, if a house was 1 million naira last year and this year it is 2 million naira, that is 100% appreciation. How much dollar was last year and this year is another story. Except such appreciation was as a result of currency devaluation in which case the appreciation is just an Illusion.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dotman23(m): 3:30pm On Oct 16, 2023
Please like how many days does it take for the NHS to assign a COS to newly employed staff
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:43pm On Oct 16, 2023
Viruses:

You seem to be looking at appreciation against Forex. Isolate property valuation from naira devaluation.

For instance, if a house was 1 million naira last year and this year it is 2 million naira, that is 100% appreciation. How much dollar was last year and this year is another story. Except such appreciation was as a result of currency devaluation in which case the appreciation is just an Illusion.

We can't run away from that as that is a key market factor, if i sent money home to invest i want the money back with a return. Not interested in leaving my money in my Nigerian bank account. Infact i have stopped funding my Nigerian bank account, i send money to family and relatives directly through the agent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2023
Mine is 3 months and counting. It seems to take an average of 4 months 😬 which is frustrating.

jum33:
Please after capturing how long does it take get the renewed passport back from london passport office
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2023
Viruses:

Good point.

Then you have to consider
1 If you're earning naira and bought in naira or you earned forex to change and bought in naira then the exchange rate would mean any appreciation is false.

Secondly I feel property appreciation in Nigeria is based on land and cost iof he house next to your. Ppl just put price on houses even when the quality is substandard. It's when you live in you know.
For me many houses are poorly built,check the corners, poor quality finishing,plumbing is a wash, electricals are poor quality cos many don't use professionals to save costs, paint bleeds over from wall to wall.
Then let me not start on the tiling....complete safety hazard.

I
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 4:29pm On Oct 16, 2023
Dotman23:
Please like how many days does it take for the NHS to assign a COS to newly employed staff
Mostly when they are done with pre-employment checks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by autologic: 4:50pm On Oct 16, 2023
Bourne007:
Mine is 3 months and counting. It seems to take an average of 4 months 😬 which is frustrating.

What about if ones passport is already expired and one will need to switch visa but passport renewal is newly done.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2023
Dotman23:

Mine took only 2months . I was interviewed August , offer letter August 10.
COS OCT 2nd .
Successfully applied and Changed my employer

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 5:35pm On Oct 16, 2023
autologic:

What about if ones passport is already expired and one will need to switch visa but passport renewal is newly done.

Valid passport is important.
New or Old it must be Valid to apply for ViSa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dotman23(m): 6:00pm On Oct 16, 2023
Efftyy:

Mine took only 2months . I was interviewed August , offer letter August 10.
COS OCT 2nd .
Successfully applied and Changed my employer
Oh..okay boss..I was interviewed in sept and got offer letter Sept 15. Please did you get the visa before agreeing on a start date
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Dotman23(m): 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2023
babajeje123:

Mostly when they are done with pre-employment checks.
thank you boss..I am currently on the medicals stage
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by damsberrydammy74(f): 6:19pm On Oct 16, 2023
hyzich:

Hi

Just seeing this, ask anyone youve met to be added into the group called Nigerians in yeovil, you would see someone who would help.. I live in Yeovil currently

Thank you very much
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 7:01pm On Oct 16, 2023
Hello NL’s
My police clearance application is still showing pending since 9 of September 2023
What else can I do? I have sent a message on the site no reply
Thanks

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 16, 2023
Gift7428:

Hello NL’s
My police clearance application is still showing pending since 9 of September 2023
Thanks

Check your email to be sure you didn’t receive an email requesting you thumbprint and submit some additional info via an attached form.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Fraih(f): 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2023
Schoolhike:

Depends on your situation, types of job, department, job grade etc.

But most student would likely to be eligible.

You can check my previous posts
Thank you cool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2023
damsberrydammy74:

Thank you very much

You're welcome. Hope you're settling well in yeovil?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Iruobe1987: 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2023
jum33:
Please after capturing how long does it take get the renewed passport back from london passport office
No idea, my daughter did hers in July, we are still waiting
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by pushup: 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2023
Gift7428:

Hello NL’s
Thanks
Please what is the process of obtaining this for someone in the UK already? And how much?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2023
Dotman23:
Oh..okay boss..I was interviewed in sept and got offer letter Sept 15. Please did you get the visa before agreeing on a start date

Yes it wil be on the COS
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2023
…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2023
Viruses:

Bolded: With a stable Naira probably yes, but the current state of the Naira will make it very difficult to do especially for many in the diaspora whose capital is in Forex, this makes Naira devaluation a major criteria to consider.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:29pm On Oct 16, 2023
There are a couple of volunteer roles you could take up around your area, some of them even come to your school job fairs, keep an eye out for them. Benefits of volunteer roles: They’ll provide you a UK reference if you need one, and also the hours you do there count towards UK work experience. (NB: Don’t exceed your 20hours limit even with a volunteer role)

Godsonice:
Thanks so much.. How will a student get the UK experience while still studying?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 9:38pm On Oct 16, 2023
Wait, there’s really something like a refund of IHS? 😳
hustla:

Yes, my Lord sir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:17pm On Oct 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Wait, there’s really something like a refund of IHS? 😳

Yes naw

cheesy

Only for folks in Healthcare though as far as I know
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
A few exceptions: Nursing MSc

No MSc is actually for decoration smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:26pm On Oct 16, 2023
Omo I heard about this but thought it was a farce. So after how many months can one process a refund? Does it apply to those studying healthcare courses too?
hustla:

Yes naw

cheesy

Only for folks in Healthcare though as far as I know
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 11:52pm On Oct 16, 2023
No email at all.
How long is it meant to take ?

koonbey:

Check your email to be sure you didn’t receive an email requesting you thumbprint and submit some additional info via an attached form.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 11:53pm On Oct 16, 2023
http://possap.gov.ng/
30 thousand Naira

pushup:

Please what is the process of obtaining this for someone in the UK already? And how much?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:48am On Oct 17, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Omo I heard about this but thought it was a farce. So after how many months can one process a refund? Does it apply to those studying healthcare courses too?

Once every 6 months
Its just those who work in Healthcare for a minimum of 20 hrs per week
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by moshuur(m): 7:09am On Oct 17, 2023
Hello...pls is it possible for someone to switch from work visa (let's say care worker) to student visa after 6 months?

The care home/centre sponsored the person come UK

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: LionInZion, deept(m), OlaLiberty(m), Chreze(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.