Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,237 members, 7,836,138 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (250) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (496939 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) ... (561) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:14am On Oct 18, 2023
Goke7:

talking about apartheid in SA, despite the support Nigeria gave SA against the west, it's far easier to get a visa to come to the UK today than it is to get a SA visa, sometimes one must have a long-term perspective of giving support all in the name of humanity, it was the support Nigeria gave SA that began even the harsh immigration policy of Uk to Nigeria where Nigerians born in the UK stopped getting citizenship immediately. What has been the benefit of SA to Nigeria today compared to the UK, let's be honest, I rather protect my interest first than prove solidarity anywhere especially when I can't predict tomorrow. The world is a complete jungle, one must give support with sense and with a long term perspective, If you're a citizen already in the UK, congratulations but for those with visas, they should thread carefully.

Are you saying your take on aparthied is that we should have supported it so as not to offend the UK? I.e for the opportunity of being looked on favourably by the UK, you would excuse apartheid? You really think you'd fare on well as an African person in the UK if a major African nation was still under an apartheid regime? Regarding UK citizenship by birth, that's a whole different issue which is unrelated. It was ended for a different set of reasons.

Countries make immigration policies based on national interest. You are either here on a work or study visa not on a diversity visa or you won a lottery or the UK wants more Nigerians here. Prior to any visa category being approved, there must be a clear indication that it'd benefit the UK more.
The relatively increased number of Nigerians migrating here today as against the 90s is not out of want but necessity. Remember Brexit only just happened. To her merit, the UK is quite diverse and there is a growing realisation among the populace that to sustain some of the social safety nets of time past, there is need more working residents. But the point here is the day your visa need stops being needed, it's the day it's culled. Countries with stricter visa rules have a different reality or expectation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 3:45am On Oct 18, 2023
Estroller:

Bolded: With a stable Naira probably yes, but the current state of the Naira will make it very difficult to do especially for many in the diaspora whose capital is in Forex, this makes Naira devaluation a major criteria to consider.

True.. not just currency stability but also main indicators like economic growth and inflation rate. A developing nation moreso a large and strategic one like Nigeria would always have untapped potentials but with higher investment risks. Many Indian diasporeans have got good returns investing back home mainly cos their currency has been stable and growth better than the west. I would want our indices to improve before I start thinking home.

For the time being, a SIPP, LISA or ISA invested in a globally diversified tracker is tax efficient and 'stress-free' for me with returns historically averaging 6-7% pa overtime. Outside emotional home bias, whatever local investment I'm making should beat that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:05am On Oct 18, 2023
Viruses:
What should one look out for when buying a new build?

Also, those houses close to the road, that the door is close to footpath, does passing cars really disturb? I'm looking at either that type or one at the end of a close. I feel the one at the end of a close will be too quiet because it's not facing any houses, just facing a field/park.

Finally why are rooms in new builds too small. Infact I see those 3 bedrooms houses as 2 and half bedrooms.

You have to weigh what the park would be like.. noise, parking, visibility e.t.c. Traditionally, well planned houses on a close tend to be more sought after as they are more quiet and private. Oddly, it seems you prefer more noisy areas.

New houses are smaller but if flexible, you'd find relatively spacious well built ones which would come at a prenium.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by killemslim(m): 7:03am On Oct 18, 2023
Hello everyone,

A Big room in a 3 bedroom shared flat is available at Brentwood Essex (East London area). Commuting distance to central London & environ. Suitable for worker/student.
Monthly rent is £500.
Dm 07053998782 on WhatsApp.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:27am On Oct 18, 2023
Viruses:
What should one look out for when buying a new build?

Also, those houses close to the road, that the door is close to footpath, does passing cars really disturb? I'm looking at either that type or one at the end of a close. I feel the one at the end of a close will be too quiet because it's not facing any houses, just facing a field/park.

Finally why are rooms in new builds too small. Infact I see those 3 bedrooms houses as 2 and half bedrooms.

New build are overpriced and comes with structural problems sometimes, it takes 2-5yrs in most cases before you start seeing those structural issues and cost of repairs could be very high.

End of terrace house are good but watch out for council tax band as you could be paying higher than your next door neighbour
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:31am On Oct 18, 2023
Justwise - We still dey await details of the company that offers COS.......

It's for a friend, yes a friend..... I know some people would say, it's always a friend........

Yes, it's a friend......😜🤣

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:34am On Oct 18, 2023
justwise:

New build are overpriced and comes with structural problems sometimes, it takes 2-5yrs in most cases before you start seeing those structural issues and cost of repairs could be very high.

End of terrace house are good but watch out for council tax band as you could be paying higher than your next door neighbour

If buying a new property, ensure you still have NHBC guarantee,..... Or else.....

You go hear am ...... I am a lover of older buildings.......🤣

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:20pm On Oct 18, 2023
🤭🤣🤣🤣

Lexusgs430:

What did I read you did....... Subscribed to duolingo........ Meet me at the market square, closest to you........ I need to test my horsewhip........ 😜🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 12:23pm On Oct 18, 2023
Direct debits are payments set up to debit your bank account on a monthly basis. What you have with Duolingo is probably a recurring card payment which is triggered annually. This is not suitable for what you want.

Lool at placing your house rent, contract only sim payment, utility bills like council tax, water or electricity on direct debits.

Oga Lexusgs430 de wait you to test yin horsewhip shaa and we de standby 🤭😂

America001:

For example I subscribed to Duolingo and it's an annual subscription

Does it qualify for a direct debit?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Justwise - We still dey await details of the company that offers COS.......

It's for a friend, yes a friend..... I know some people would say, it's always a friend........

Yes, it's a friend......😜🤣

grin grin
Tell your friend to pay

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:56pm On Oct 18, 2023
justwise:

grin grin
Tell your friend to pay

She already did ... . Paid £11,000.... Complications after arrival etc etc ........ Hence seeking another sponsor.....🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:57pm On Oct 18, 2023
bigtt76:
Direct debits are payments set up to debit your bank account on a monthly basis. What you have with Duolingo is probably a recurring card payment which is triggered annually. This is not suitable for what you want.

Lool at placing your house rent, contract only sim payment, utility bills like council tax, water or electricity on direct debits.

Oga Lexusgs430 de wait you to test yin horsewhip shaa and we de standby 🤭😂

It shall be uploaded to tiktok........😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by idee91: 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2023
koonbey:

Good. Just tell them it's cultural and you made sure to follow all precautions e.g. using a sterile implement etc.
Hello everyone, just to give a bit of an update. The Midwives got back to us today that they have completed relevant checks/ confirmations with the NHS safeguarding team and the social services as regard’s piercing the baby’s ears. They were able to confirm that since it is cultural, it was fine as long as the piercing was done with clean and sterilized objects, and we clean with salt water regularly till it fully heals, to help prevent any infections.

Thank you all for your inputs

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by pretty1986: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

She already did ... . Paid £11,000.... Complications after arrival etc etc ........ Hence seeking another sponsor.....🤣
I wonder why someone will pay up to 11k for COS,is it not better the person use it for Masters degree program?.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 3:56pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Ewe
11million naira 11k quid
How much be annual salary of care worker before? Even if you get 40hrs shift
Ppl still doing this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:23pm On Oct 18, 2023
Taal17:

Ewe
11million naira 11k quid
How much be annual salary of care worker before? Even if you get 40hrs shift
Ppl still doing this?

Maybe this is where the slavery analogies have come from, because even if the person earned reasonably well, they would likely still struggle financially due to this huge debt.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:27pm On Oct 18, 2023
idee91:

Hello everyone, just to give a bit of an update. The Midwives got back to us today that they have completed relevant checks/ confirmations with the NHS safeguarding team and the social services as regard’s piercing the baby’s ears. They were able to confirm that since it is cultural, it was fine as long as the piercing was done with clean and sterilized objects, and we clean with salt water regularly till it fully heals, to help prevent any infections.

Thank you all for your inputs

Why were they against it in the first instance?
Oyinbo this days wey dey carry big tire 🛞 for ear

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:33pm On Oct 18, 2023
Zahra29:

Maybe this is where the slavery analogies have come from, because even if the person earned reasonably well, they would likely still struggle financially due to this huge debt.

Looking at this from another angle i think it’s worth expense because you would come in with your partner and kids. Your partner can work unlimited hrs to support the family.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

She will be find, i'm only worried about those who got no money to give dubious agents.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2023
Mr Lexusgs430,

I hear you are the plug for all iptv matter. I also hear it comes with millions of channels.

FYI, I'm sure my TV isn't android-based, but I believe this can be bypassed with the use of firestick, yea? Not totally sure.

Please what directions/steps should I take to fully setup this iptv parole?

Thanks.

NB: Not urgent, reply at your convenience.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:09pm On Oct 18, 2023
toughest007:
Mr Lexusgs430,

I hear you are the plug for all iptv matter. I also hear it comes with millions of channels.

FYI, I'm sure my TV isn't android-based, but I believe this can be bypassed with the use of firestick, yea? Not totally sure.

Please what directions/steps should I take to fully setup this iptv parole?

Thanks.

NB: Not urgent, reply at your convenience.

I also hear the person that told you, might have also informed you, how to get in touch........ 🤣😁

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 6:11pm On Oct 18, 2023
Thanks 😊

ladyinred:

Send an email to secretariat@possap.gov.ng requesting for the biometric form.
State your name and date of application. Include your file reference number, invoice number and the email you used while applying. You can also attach your payment receipt to the email. Make sure you state in the body of the email that you are a diaspora applicant.

Good luck!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2023
justwise:

She will be find, i'm only worried about those who got no money to give dubious agents.

I hear terrifying stories, almost every week....... Some agents even have multiple middle men, that simply over inflate the figures.........

The main agent is not fully aware how much his client paid........ Some middlemen add about £5K extra commission...... We are very greedy sets of human beings, walahi........

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 6:16pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I also hear the person that told you, might have also informed you, how to get in touch........ 🤣😁

I hear the only way to get in touch is via a PM. grin

Just did.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:32pm On Oct 18, 2023
toughest007:

I hear the only way to get in touch is via a PM. grin

Just did.

You're very wrong........ 🤣😂

Send a WhatsApp message......
😂

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:11pm On Oct 18, 2023
lavida001:

Why were they against it in the first instance?
Oyinbo this days wey dey carry big tire 🛞 for ear

It’s a consent issue. They argument is that a baby is too young to decide whether they need their ear pierced or not. You would hardly see an oyibo new born baby with a pierced ear. They get it done as they approach teenage and are old enough to take responsibility for cleaning the piercing/hygiene.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:21pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Tactics

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Globalshaper: 8:34pm On Oct 18, 2023
A shared en-suite Room accommodations available for a male at Clacton on sea, Essex.

Rent per month - 350 pounds (Bill inclusive)

Rent starts counting by 29th of October but you can move in by 20th.

Request to chat with me via my profile if interested.

Efftyy:

Hello Please is there a community online group for Nigerians in Essex?

I need accommodation around colchester

Male. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 8:58pm On Oct 18, 2023
Finally got a permanent solution to mold in my house.

Bought a Meaco Arete Dehumidifier 20l and the rest is story.

Reason for choosing this is because it does not only dehumidify but also purify the air and very low electricity consumption.

Yeah, dry clothes as well.

If you’ve got mold issue try get this product aswell.

14 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 9:25pm On Oct 18, 2023
Ancestors,

Someone in Nigeria is trying to buy property in UK. They’re willing to pay the >25% deposit for a mortgage. Target is to preserve capital, gain equity, get good ROI from a rentals etc. Strategic location to ensure long term value. House or flat. What’s the best approach? Any advise. Thank you in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 9:51pm On Oct 18, 2023
jedisco:

Divorces here are no joke especially when there's a good income difference and kids are involved.

Not a lawyer but for well established marriages, the target for a legal split is 50:50 of marital possessions. Even your pensions and isa accumulated after marriage are not exempt.

To the house, though there might be a 50:50 equity split awarded, priority is always given to the kids. The kids will usually be allowed to stay in the house moreso if they're established there.
Your partner might buy you out of the mortgage or you both can sell and go separate ways. If she refuses, it's very unlikely a Judge would give an order mandating sale when kids are involved. That means as the other partner, even though you may have 50% equity in the house, you may not be able to sell until kids turn 18 or leave.

In the meantime, you would need to rent your place and banks will chase whoevers name is on the mortgage to keep up with payments. All this is aside child maintenance which goes primarily to the partner with main custody. If you're unlucky and have domestic violence pinned on you, another gbese as your alloted time might be culled. Of course, either of you can have a new relationship while all this is going on.

If you have good earning potential and a vast difference from your partner, a divorce can leave you wrinsed

Quick question: what if the mortgage is in the man's name only?

Does it mean he has to move out if the judge grants custody of the kids to the woman?

Just thinking about different scenarios here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) ... (561) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: wallg123, divinegrace4me and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.