Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,411 members, 7,830,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (487933 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (555) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:29pm On Oct 24, 2023
hustla:

Can you give me the name and location of the next party? I just need it for research purposes

grin

National exhibition center, Birmingham.

They even provide buses in different cities to take people to Birmingham and back.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
justwise:

Honestly some people here are funny,
we are talking about what happens when marriage breaks down in the western world and some people are getting worked up about it.

You can be the best husband or wife and work hard to make your marriage work but if your better half thinks otherwise then you have to face the reality.

The point is, plan for a successful marriage and hope it does not break down, if it breaks down, so be it. Don't plan for a broken marriage and hope it becomes successful.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:52pm On Oct 24, 2023
Viruses:

National exhibition center, Birmingham.

They even provide buses in different cities to take people to Birmingham and back.

grin

You want to corrupt me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2023
justwise:

Honestly some people here are funny,
we are talking about what happens when marriage breaks down in the western world and some people are getting worked up about it.

You can be the best husband or wife and work hard to make your marriage work but if your better half thinks otherwise then you have to face the reality.

... And there's absolutely nothing you can do to change what they think.. That's the scary and insane part

Tyrese literally did everything for his wife, and yet.. She still went for a divorce.

Life is funny

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2023
triplo3:
What’s wrong with this country? Why do we have to pay ourselves for Christmas Party? A whole Β£40/ person. This is insane. [b]Omo I miss Naija for this one. We Dey even hire music artist come, invite spouses sef, free shayo on top. [/b]Mehn British people stingy oo!

And then owe you salary for 2 months lipsrsealedπŸ™ˆ

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:58pm On Oct 24, 2023
Viruses:

The point is, plan for a successful marriage and hope it does not break down, if it breaks down, so be it. Don't plan for a broken marriage and hope it becomes successful.

So who gave you the idea that we are planning for marriage to breakdown? This is like me telling you about car insurance policy in the UK and you get angry accusing me of planning for you to get accident

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2023
rinzylee:

If you want us to discuss this objectively , we can. I didn't mention praying and fasting as the only elements of building a foundation for a strong lasting marriage relationship.

You dey find my mouth.

Marriage is run on principles and principles don't respect anyone. You break it, it breaks you.

Knowledge of the elements to enjoy a good marriage is more important than seeking for how to share properties or protect oneself after a divorce.

The mindset with which you choose to engage this journey is very important.

I say again... you can either choose to build a stable fortress or go seeking Knowledge of how to leave with the chunk sum when the house collapses.

Through wisdom is a house built, by Knowledge it is established and by understanding it's Chambers are furnished .

Daalα»₯

Nah me you wan take practice, how you go take shortlist your marriageable candidates...... 😜🀣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:42pm On Oct 24, 2023
Zahra29:

And then owe you salary for 2 months lipsrsealedπŸ™ˆ

Or longer......

After spending company funds on frivolities........ 😜😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:44pm On Oct 24, 2023
justwise:

So who gave you the idea that we are planning for marriage to breakdown? This is like me telling you about car insurance policy in the UK and you get angry accusing me of planning for you to get accident

It's a Nigerian mindset, to always think positive....

If only the real world was triangular......... 😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:46pm On Oct 24, 2023
hustla:

... And there's absolutely nothing you can do to change what they think.. That's the scary and insane part

Tyrese literally did everything for his wife, and yet.. She still went for a divorce.

Life is funny

grin

How do you know this...... Did you interview her........... 😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:47pm On Oct 24, 2023
hustla:

Info lo n gbe eyan fo grin

Your journey in life and about everything else is dependent on people who you surround yourself with .

If you walk with 4 Dangotes, you'll likely be the 5th one or at the very least, a Femi Otedola

guy thats why i ask for your number. I want connect with you. But you refuse no lele
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 4:50pm On Oct 24, 2023
justwise:

Talking about insurance...life insurance protects your family from potentially devastating financial losses that could result if something happens to you.

Remember when you said you won't get life insurance because you will setup your children well (something like that), in other words, you are not planning to leave your family in an 'anyhow' state so no need for life insurance, same thing here, I'm not planning for divorce so no need to make such preparations.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Do you think Chris Oyakhilome planned for a divorce...... Or you think he did not pray, fast and conduct vigils. ........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ

If we start to dissect Chris Oyakhilome scandal nairaland no go contain us ooo

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 4:52pm On Oct 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It's a Nigerian mindset, to always think positive....

If only the real world was triangular......... 😜

Leave the guy...when we were discussing life insurance the other time, he said he won't get one (because he was thinking positive o). As if the person that spoke about life insurance was wishing him bad πŸ˜€

And on a serious note, if not for regulations, how many people for dey do car insurance if we want to be honest?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 4:55pm On Oct 24, 2023
justwise:

You really know how to speak in tongues

Oh my God πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ where did this come from?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 5:00pm On Oct 24, 2023
justwise:

How dare you wish me that my car will have accident! Back to sender... πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

God such mentality!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 5:38pm On Oct 24, 2023
hustla:

Info lo n gbe eyan fo grin

Your journey in life and about everything else is dependent on people who you surround yourself with .

If you walk with 4 Dangotes, you'll likely be the 5th one or at the very least, a Femi Otedola

Hehe... no be even Otedollar.. even down to basic issues.

If a new immigrant asks their click about driving tests and their response is something in the line of 'this test is straightforward, you'd be asked to demonstrate what you already know- this is how you go about it...' that persons perception and experience would be much different from a clique where the first response is 'omo that test hard die'

A while back someone asked me about ielts, knowing his ability, I told him 2 weeks is enough time to prep. Guy was shocked and started relaying how people prep for months before taking it and still fail. Had to virtually force him to still register. After it all he returned and was like.. this exam no hard finally.

Perception is important.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:03pm On Oct 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

How do you know this...... Did you interview her........... 😁

She has said it in interviews herself

Apparently, she was misled by friends who were jealous of her relationship smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:04pm On Oct 24, 2023
lavida001:

guy thats why i ask for your number. I want connect with you. But you refuse no lele

You go show me reply to this email o

angry

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 6:05pm On Oct 24, 2023
rinzylee:

There's a difference between identifying causes of divorce and enlightening people about it, and selling preparation for divorce. The former is preventive medicine and the other is therapeutic. If I know possible pitfalls, I would work on my character and adjust myself to serve my spouse better. Why not sell the positives of marriage and the benefits of a united home front. Why must it be the doom of marriage that would be sounded ??

I see patients who have been married for 60, 70 ,50 years and all I do after consultation is ask them for 2mins of advice on how to have such a healthy peaceful marriage. I don't go about preparing for divorce. I plan for the best of marriages. Let it be that I have done all and trouble springs up, then we can discuss the other side.

I am team it won't be my portion..Yes!

In all, you are yet to highlight the pros of marriage or means to sustain one. You can't force people to run your desired commentary.

Discussions so far have highlighted the laws of the land where we've come to reside. No one is asking married people to divorce. One shouldn't wait for troubles to spring up before learning these. You dont wait for a police officer tell you to use a sit belt.

Lastly, you make statements surprising of a medic. Oh doc, I know someone who was severely diabetic/hypertensive but refused medications, I also know someone who was a chain smoker for decades and continued despite medical advise. They both lived healthily to their 90's. OTOH, I know people who took meds and died of disease complications soon after. It's called annecdotes - not statistical or scientific evidence.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:05pm On Oct 24, 2023
hustla:

She has said it in interviews herself

Apparently, she was misled by friends who were jealous of her relationship smiley

Okon kun cupboard, type of friends.......πŸ˜‚

Which brings us back, full circle.......😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:05pm On Oct 24, 2023
jedisco:

Hehe... no be even Otedollar.. even down to basic issues.

If a new immigrant asks their click about driving tests and their response is something in the line of 'this test is straightforward, you'd be asked to demonstrate what you already know- this is how you go about it...' that persons perception and experience would be much different from a clique where the first response is 'omo that test hard die'

A while back someone asked me about ielts, knowing his ability, I told him 2 weeks is enough time to prep. Guy was shocked and started relaying how people prep for months before taking it and still fail. Had to virtually force him to still register. After it all he returned and was like.. this exam no hard finally.

Perception is important.

100% truth, no lies detected

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:06pm On Oct 24, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Okon kun cupboard, type of friends.......πŸ˜‚

Which brings us back, full circle.......😜

cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:07pm On Oct 24, 2023
Please o,

Who has experience in drafting Incident Response plans?

Help the needy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 6:45pm On Oct 24, 2023
Hello guys , please what’s the procedure for obtaining your Nigerian NIN for a Nigerian that lives in the UK and wants to renew their passport?

What steps do I take?

Also, please is this the website to go to if I want to book an appointment to get it done?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:01pm On Oct 24, 2023
Viruses:

Leave the guy...when we were discussing life insurance the other time, he said he won't get one (because he was thinking positive o). As if the person that spoke about life insurance was wishing him bad πŸ˜€

And on a serious note, if not for regulations, how many people for dey do car insurance if we want to be honest?

You are all over the place, i'm not sure you read my post regarding life insurance let alone understood it
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2023
Viruses:

Talking about insurance...life insurance protects your family from potentially devastating financial losses that could result if something happens to you.

Remember when you said you won't get life insurance because you will setup your children well (something like that), in other words, you are not planning to leave your family in an 'anyhow' state so no need for life insurance, same thing here, I'm not planning for divorce so no need to make such preparations.

You are mixing things up here, i specifically mentioned car insurance.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2023
Thewritingnerd:

Also, please is this the website to go to if I want to book an appointment to get it done?

I don't think so. Check this
https://nimc.gov.ng/uk-enrolment-centres/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ayofemidara: 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2023
Good evening nairalanders, please I need a job around Sheffield for my husband. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 8:47pm On Oct 24, 2023
triplo3:

100% agree.

Is that why oyibos do β€œpartners” instead? Does it offer them any protection different from married folk? In terms of house and pensions etc.

Yes and No. Once children become involved, whether you're married or not makes absolutely no difference as the needs of the child will always come first.

Secondly, there's something called common law marriage (it's just a social term/slang) but it's when people live together and are not married. If I recall correctly, living together for 2 years or more, gives certain rights akin to being married. The longer you live together, the more those rights become entrenched.

If you live together as partners and intermingle your lives, i.e. get a joint mortgage, joint accounts, have kids etc then for all intents and purposes, you'll be treated as a married unit from a financial perspective. To avoid all of these blurred lines, you must have a contracting out agreement from the start so something similar to pre-nup or you keep your funds and your lives separate. It's why single mothers will claim living alone for benefit reasons as once a partner moves in, his income is taken as family income even when the children are not his!

The longer the relationship lasts as a joint couple aka partners living together, the more rights you have. My friends have just separated after being together for 23 years (unmarried with an older teen son). Splitting the assets still started at 50/50. Son opted to stay with the dad as the mum is moving back home so the assets have been split 60/40 in favour of dad. They've sold the family home and had to negotiate to keep their pensions.

So not getting married is not the get out of jail card people think it is. For a lot of my white friends and this spans all countries I've lived in - they just don't see marriage as proof of commitment anymore and don't see the need for it. Especially where there are kids and a mortgage. You can walk away from a marriage, you can't walk away from child support or mortgage payments or joint debts. So I agree with them - any of those 3 things are a greater proof of commitment than marriage vows.

The biggest advantage to not being married is that if you die, partner has to take your estate to court to get something out of it if you have not co-mingled your lives and finances. It does also means you can't make decisions on behalf of the other person without a prior PoA so if for any reason you need urgent hospital care and can't consent, they can't consent for you as a married partner will be able to do.

Plus at the end of the day, the lawyers will always walk away with more than you ever think you can hold or protect. So either shine ya eyes and jump in with both feet, or close your eyes and dip one toe in and stay on the side-lines. The law is blind and an ass. It starts from a position of fairness to everyone.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 8:55pm On Oct 24, 2023
I will keep my focus on Love, sacrifice, patience, humility, kindness and above all God at the center of everything.

Anyone who wants to take lectures on how to split wealth after divorce can go ahead. I no dey hold anybody.

I understand marriage is a covenant and a huge commitment. There's no divorce in my dictionary.

I no dey force anyone to agree with me or stick with my own narrative.

Everyone to his own philosophy.

Una well done

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2023
hustla:

You go show me reply to this email o

angry

i barely check this email here is my wassup 2348179350392

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (555) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Uk2020 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.