Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467756 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (540) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2023
EPEAKS:
Hi. Goke. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I did share proof of applying for NIN.

Any idea how long it takes for the HRMC/UK to get back to me on the NIN. I felt kind of bad because I had some rejections at the application stage before now. Anyway, I will continue to apply and I trust God for good news. I am a Sis though even though I am a Son of God. grin

Please pardon me abeg!

As for the NIN, am sure within a month you should get it. Don't give up on that company they may still contact you. Update us when you get the NIN please
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 3:34pm On Oct 25, 2023
Thanks for the clarification and I get a better understanding of your situation now. You can still wriggle your way back into IT by ups killing to become a data analyst, project manager or cybersecurity analyst while you shuffle between your current job and taking care of your baby all at your own pace.

You can also look into customer service advisor roles which allow work from home. Construction work may be lucrative but it will take you away from your baby and or leave you tired at the end of the day.

Choice is yours though but rest assured, I wish you the very best ahead šŸ™šŸ¾

adeolaspecial:

Hi, thanks for the response. My wife got sponsored by the NHS reason why she is stuck working as a support worker for them. I on the other hand need flexibility so as to enable us take turns in looking after our baby. This is my top priority. I thought i can cope with that with the little i earn, but cost of living isn't joking and i have to find a way to balance.

And like i said, my current job allows me flexibility to pick days when i want to work even though I'm working 40hrs full time with them and that can be adjusted on the rota. I don't know if other companies can be this generous to allow me do this (my fears) as this will greatly impact on child care (my priority). I would say for now, i don't have any special skills cos i left the IT industry due to some bad issues that happened back in Nigeria. If i have to start again, I'm afraid i might not be able to catch up. Reason why I'm seeking for advice on what other flexible roles i can look at. And as someone suggested, I'll look into Construction, but don't know if they will allow flexibility. God bless you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2023
Ha 20 years ago? šŸ˜³ You be idan for computer be that naa. Though I don't know what may have happened to you I wouldn't want to being up bad memories you don't want to recall but I would just say dust your pants off and get moving. The world of IT has evolved greatly but not more than what you can't catch up with if you give it a little bit of your time. You can basically be doing stuff online while watching over your baby. Don't give up.

adeolaspecial:

I do appreciate your input on this. It gladens my mind to read this. As you said, i shouldn't settle for less as a dependent as I can get a job that pays higher. My wife works in the NHS sector where she got her sponsorship and i honestly do not depend on her income as i see myself as someone that needs to take up his responsibility as a father and a husband. She being a good wife does not believe in that and does her best to support me and i do appreciate that. I have considered getting other roles, but i haven't been successful in them. Back in Nigeria I was a computer engineer but i left that industry when life and nigeria happened to me. I don't want to go into details cos it brings back sad memories. This was over 20yrs ago , so I'm a bit rusty and not up to date with current tech tools.

Now, i can only do little as we have to mind our child cos we don't look at taking him to a child minder. We can't afford that and we don't believe they can cater for him the way we can. We had to make sacrifices taking turns off work to do that. I'll consider looking at construction jobs as u said and if the pay is good and gives me some flexibility as i am getting now. Then its worth trying.

God bless you. May life not happen to us

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 3:58pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:
Hi guys, please i need your input in this. First of all, i apologize for my lengthy post. I moved into the uk last year april as a student dependent, i started working in may and have been earning a minimum a minimum wage with over time and the littlest i earned is 1900 including over time which enabled me clear my wife's fees and pay some bills added with the little she earned working 20hrs. In the long run she got pregnant and went on maternity leave a month before we welcome our baby in December.

She was on maternity leave, earning maternity pay which supports me while i go full blast working overtime with same earnings not more than 1900. She went back to work in August and now on 37.5hrs full time as she has finished doing her masters.

Now with the responsibility of catering for our child who is now 10months, we had to adjust with our work patterns (Thank God for giving me an understanding manager and hers too) by picking shifts when we like to help us on who stays home with the baby while the other go to work. I had to let go working overtime as i work on days when she's not working and she works on days when I'm not working.

This has really impacted on my earnings and pay as i now earn the basic pay of 1800, and with tax, ni and pension deducted i am left with about 1600 sometimes lower if i don't work night shifts as we earn enhancement working night shifts. My wife is very supportive as we split montly bills, spendings and all ( I know that this should even make it easier as she earns more now) , but the issue is lately the cost of living has gone up, our rent was increased, energy bill has gone up as we had to sometime put on the heater cos of the baby, his feeding, clothing and all his needs.

The bills are choking and i can even hardly save. My wife on the other hand contributes her quota on a 60/40 basis as i contribte the most as the olori ebi even though we earn same salary monthly. I have racked in credit card debts and all. I have had to cut down alot of spendings to adjust ( and that includes me not buying orijin bitters or going out with friends, going to the barber, i cut my hair anyhow i sabi, and some needs....lol). What can i do in this context as i am considering getting a new job that can pay more on same hours, but I don't know if the manager will be as understanding as the current manager i work with.

I need to earn more. I am considering investments, but don't know which or how i can get into one. Its eating me and i had to pour out my heart. I'm sorry for the lengthy write up. By the way, i work as a support worker and my wife as well as she got sponsorship and I'm a dependent. But we just can't do more hours cos of our baby.

I am considering remote works, but concentration is much needed in this and our baby is always seeking attention. How do one cope in this. Is 1600 earning considered good in such situations?

you earning 1600 monthly is a fair wage to me. Just go 50/50 with your wife after all equality is what the world preaches this days.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:24pm On Oct 25, 2023
lavida001:

you earning 1600 monthly is a fair wage to me. Just go 50/50 with your wife after all equality is what the world preaches this days.

another angle, this forum sha grin una no go kill person grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 4:47pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:
Ha 20 years ago? šŸ˜³ You be idan for computer be that naa. Though I don't know what may have happened to you I wouldn't want to being up bad memories you don't want to recall but I would just say dust your pants off and get moving. The world of IT has evolved greatly but not more than what you can't catch up with if you give it a little bit of your time. You can basically be doing stuff online while watching over your baby. Don't give up.

Yea...my story was that someone ( a senior staff) defrauded my then IT company. They found out he was the one and then because he was close to the company owner, they covered it all and made us took the fall for it. We asked the Nigerian Police to investigate and we pleaded our innocence, but they wouldn't have it. They moved us to SARS where we were locked up for a lengthy period of time. It wasn't a pleasant experience. While in there, my dad was running around to see i was freed, they refused to charge the case to court, they didn't and my dad fell ill and passed away. I didn't see my dad when he passed and was buried. I slipped into depression and it impacted me greatly. Eventually we were released after 2yrs and i wasn't myself. Had to move to my village for awhile to get over the trauma and it took me time. I left the IT industry cos it reminded me of so much. That's my story. Starting a new life here in the Uk, i consider going back into IT, but where do i start ? How do i focus without triggering my past trauma.

That's why I'm kind of struggling. Yea, that's my story. But I'm trying to see how best i can find a way back in if I'll fight to. And thanks to all for the contribution.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2023
lavida001:

It use to be. When the family was a small circle. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 4:53pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:
Thanks for the clarification and I get a better understanding of your situation now. You can still wriggle your way back into IT by ups killing to become a data analyst, project manager or cybersecurity analyst while you shuffle between your current job and taking care of your baby all at your own pace.

You can also look into customer service advisor roles which allow work from home. Construction work may be lucrative but it will take you away from your baby and or leave you tired at the end of the day.

Choice is yours though but rest assured, I wish you the very best ahead šŸ™šŸ¾

Thank you so much. Thanks for the words. I'll find my strength to look into this. Its going to be challenging, but nothing a human with determination can't achieve. I'll look into all the suggestions on here and see what would work better for me. Sorry i had to bother u all, just had to find a platform where i can pour out my mind and hopefully hear from those in the same country as me. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donplus1: 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:
Hi guys, please i need your input in this. First of all, i apologize for my lengthy post. I moved into the uk last year april as a student dependent, i started working in may and have been earning a minimum a minimum wage with over time and the littlest i earned is 1900 including over time which enabled me clear my wife's fees and pay some bills added with the little she earned working 20hrs. In the long run she got pregnant and went on maternity leave a month before we welcome our baby in December.

She was on maternity leave, earning maternity pay which supports me while i go full blast working overtime with same earnings not more than 1900. She went back to work in August and now on 37.5hrs full time as she has finished doing her masters.

Now with the responsibility of catering for our child who is now 10months, we had to adjust with our work patterns (Thank God for giving me an understanding manager and hers too) by picking shifts when we like to help us on who stays home with the baby while the other go to work. I had to let go working overtime as i work on days when she's not working and she works on days when I'm not working.

This has really impacted on my earnings and pay as i now earn the basic pay of 1800, and with tax, ni and pension deducted i am left with about 1600 sometimes lower if i don't work night shifts as we earn enhancement working night shifts. My wife is very supportive as we split montly bills, spendings and all ( I know that this should even make it easier as she earns more now) , but the issue is lately the cost of living has gone up, our rent was increased, energy bill has gone up as we had to sometime put on the heater cos of the baby, his feeding, clothing and all his needs.

The bills are choking and i can even hardly save. My wife on the other hand contributes her quota on a 60/40 basis as i contribte the most as the olori ebi even though we earn same salary monthly. I have racked in credit card debts and all. I have had to cut down alot of spendings to adjust ( and that includes me not buying orijin bitters or going out with friends, going to the barber, i cut my hair anyhow i sabi, and some needs....lol). What can i do in this context as i am considering getting a new job that can pay more on same hours, but I don't know if the manager will be as understanding as the current manager i work with.

I need to earn more. I am considering investments, but don't know which or how i can get into one. Its eating me and i had to pour out my heart. I'm sorry for the lengthy write up. By the way, i work as a support worker and my wife as well as she got sponsorship and I'm a dependent. But we just can't do more hours cos of our baby.

I am considering remote works, but concentration is much needed in this and our baby is always seeking attention. How do one cope in this. Is 1600 earning considered good in such situations?

I just want to drop my 1 cent so you feel motivated.
You are doing very well, I understand your frustration as a result of the cost of living crisis. Don't beat yourself too much about it.

I earn 1600 after tax, wife currently not working due to childcare( son is six months) and we haven't bn able to get a remote job for my wife to compliment my salary and the least save something at the end of the month. Yet here I am, enduring and hoping things will get better.

Where someone own end, another go start. "

Perseverance and determination is the key!
Shalom brother.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2023
donplus1:

I just want to drop my 1 cent so you feel motivated.
You are doing very well, I understand your frustration as a result of the cost of living crisis. Don't beat yourself too much about it.

I earn 1600 after tax, wife currently not working due to childcare( son is six months) and we haven't bn able to get a remote job for my wife to compliment my salary and the least save something at the end of the month. Yet here I am, enduring and hoping things will get better.

Where someone own end, another go start. "

Perseverance and determination is the key!
Shalom brother.

I appreciate your words of encouragement. And like you said perseverance and determination is key. I'll hold on to that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:

Yea...my story was that someone ( a senior staff) defrauded my then IT company. They found out he was the one and then because he was close to the company owner, they covered it all and made us took the fall for it. We asked the Nigerian Police to investigate and we pleaded our innocence, but they wouldn't have it. They moved us to SARS where we were locked up for a lengthy period of time. It wasn't a pleasant experience. While in there, my dad was running around to see i was freed, they refused to charge the case to court, they didn't and my dad fell ill and passed away. I didn't see my dad when he passed and was buried. I slipped into depression and it impacted me greatly. Eventually we were released after 2yrs and i wasn't myself. Had to move to my village for awhile to get over the trauma and it took me time. I left the IT industry cos it reminded me of so much. That's my story. Starting a new life here in the Uk, i consider going back into IT, but where do i start ? How do i focus without triggering my past trauma.

That's why I'm kind of struggling. Yea, that's my story. But I'm trying to see how best i can find a way back in if I'll fight to. And thanks to all for the contribution.

It is well with you. Just don't give up. 1600 is a decent pay. I know the uk gets to all of us with all sort of bills. But hang in there. Things will get better. I feel and share in your pain. And like everyone has encouraged you, don't give up. We will all get there.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:

It use to be. When the family was a small circle. smiley

Good Man
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 6:16pm On Oct 25, 2023
ooh dear ....so sorry to read this but we are here to help you get started. One way for you to begin is to let go off the past and look ahead into the future.

Search here https://www.coursera.org for IT courses (Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, Project Management etc) you can embark to upskill. You can apply for financial aid in most of them. Start here and God will see you through.

adeolaspecial:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:
ooh dear ....so sorry to read this but we are here to help you get started. One way for you to begin is to let go off the past and look ahead into the future.

Search here https://www.coursera.org for IT courses (Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, Project Management etc) you can embark to upskill. You can apply for financial aid in most of them. Start here and God will see you through.

I think i might just dust my cyber security courses and start all over again. who is currently on this journey lets learn together biko

I neeed motivation

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 7:01pm On Oct 25, 2023
EPEAKS:
Hi. Goke. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I did share proof of applying for NIN.

Any idea how long it takes for the HRMC/UK to get back to me on the NIN. I felt kind of bad because I had some rejections at the application stage before now. Anyway, I will continue to apply and I trust God for good news. I am a Sis though even though I am a Son of God. grin

I don't understand the NIN you are talking.about.
Is it the National Insurance Number at the back of your BRP?

Why apply for NIN when you already have it on your BRP or is it a different NIN you are referring to?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:28pm On Oct 25, 2023
I de for you bro

lavida001:

I think i might just dust my cyber security courses and start all over again. who is currently on this journey lets learn together biko

I neeed motivation
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:29pm On Oct 25, 2023
This is not applicable to everyone though especially students, they have to apply for it separately.

Progressivegee:

I don't understand the NIN you are talking.about.
Is it the National Insurance Number at the back of your BRP?

Why apply for NIN when you already have it on your BRP or is it a different NIN you are referring to?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:
This is not applicable to everyone though especially students, they have to apply for it separately.

Oh really? I thought everyone has it at the back of their BRP. Thanks for clarifying
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 7:35pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:

But the OP said she came into the country a month ago, that means she isn't on a student visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:35pm On Oct 25, 2023
Yea not everyone, you're welcome.

Progressivegee:

Oh really? I thought everyone has it at the back of their BRP. Thanks for clarifying
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:42pm On Oct 25, 2023
Students are allowed in at least a month to the commencement of their programme but good thing if she clarifies more on her visa type. Notwithstanding though, some tier2 visa holders apply sometimes if their BRP did not carry their NI number

Progressivegee:

But the OP said she came into the country a month ago, that means she isn't on a student visa
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Luada(m): 7:57pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:

Thank you so much. Thanks for the words. I'll find my strength to look into this. Its going to be challenging, but nothing a human with determination can't achieve. I'll look into all the suggestions on here and see what would work better for me. Sorry i had to bother u all, just had to find a platform where i can pour out my mind and hopefully hear from those in the same country as me. Thanks

Hmmm read your story, it painful but i can help a little, as you said investment is the only way out of your current situation.

Maybe you can consider trading, i know traders who stay at home and earn good money trading.

I can help you as am into crypto. You can also try investment in google, or tessla i can help you with that.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 8:14pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:

Oh great. I know of coursera. Amen. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 8:15pm On Oct 25, 2023
lavida001:

I neeed motivation

I don't mind.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 8:15pm On Oct 25, 2023
Luada:

Hmmm read your story, it painful but i can help a little, as you said investment is the only way out of your current situation.

Maybe you can consider trading, i know traders who stay at home and earn good money trading.

I can help you as am into crypto. You can also try investment in google, or tessla i can help you with that.

Thanks

Thank you bro. Is crypto trading still a thing ? I have my reservations in that area..stock trading maybe.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Luada(m): 8:18pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:

Thank you bro. Is crypto trading still a thing ? I have my reservations in that area..stock trading maybe.

Yh it still a thing, you can give it a shot.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:24pm On Oct 25, 2023
bigtt76:
I de for you bro

Lets connect bra whats ur wasup
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:28pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:

In the interim, whilst looking for longer lasting alternative source(s) of income........ Do you have a driving licence.......

If you do, look into Amazon logistics, Uber eats, deliveroo, just eat etc etc ..... This are very flexible and you can fit in free time, to raise extra funds.....

I mentioned a few month's ago, that we men, are not supermen..... Women should financially support more...... Don't be afraid to ask for a 50:50 bill split or 60:40(to your wife), if your wife earns more......

I have heard of over 5 Nigerian men that simply slumped and died (in the last 3 months) ..... In the past year, over 8 Nigerian men .......

Don't make yourself a statistic .........

15 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 8:31pm On Oct 25, 2023
Visa holders face expulsion from UK for inciting anti-Semitism

UK visa holders could be expelled from Britain for inciting anti-Semitism even if their conduct is not considered criminal, the Immigration minister suggested on Wednesday.
Robert Jenrick made the comments following a number of pro-Palestine protests in which a small minority of participants have been accused of shouting anti-Semitic slurs. It comes after he on Tuesday told the Commons that the process of revoking visas and expelling foreign nationals who spread ā€œhate and divisionā€ had begun ā€œin a small number of casesā€.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/visa-holders-expulsion-uk-anti-semitism-israel-palestine-hamas-b1115837.html

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:54pm On Oct 25, 2023
adeolaspecial:
Hi guys, please i need your input in this.

There are different categories of job

1) There are jobs that pays Ā£10/hr, there are jobs that pay Ā£20/hr, there are jobs that pay Ā£25/hr and so on

2) There are jobs that pays little at the start and it increases with experience, while others do not increase with experience.

Meaning if you have a job paying Ā£25/hr for instance, even without packing extra shifts, you will earn more than someone working Ā£10/hr and is parking shift left, right and center.

My advice to immigrants is instead of packing shifts upandan with the intent of having money, look for that job that will pay you more with less work.

In other words; in your situation, rather than asking for a job that will give you opportunity for more shifts or that will have an understanding manager, ask for skills that are in demand that pays well and has good prospects, use the little spare time you have to develop those skills and with the same hours as you are working now, you will earn more.

Don't come for my head that I haven't mentioned any skills, this is my own contribution.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 9:00pm On Oct 25, 2023
BouharryArtikou:
Visa holders face expulsion from UK for inciting anti-Semitism

UK visa holders could be expelled from Britain for inciting anti-Semitism even if their conduct is not considered criminal, the Immigration minister suggested on Wednesday.
Robert Jenrick made the comments following a number of pro-Palestine protests in which a small minority of participants have been accused of shouting anti-Semitic slurs. It comes after he on Tuesday told the Commons that the process of revoking visas and expelling foreign nationals who spread ā€œhate and divisionā€ had begun ā€œin a small number of casesā€.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/visa-holders-expulsion-uk-anti-semitism-israel-palestine-hamas-b1115837.html

If youā€™re a Nigerian in the UK, especially one with a visa, Israel-Palestine conflict doesnā€™t concern you. Keep your opinions to yourself and in your pocket.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:01pm On Oct 25, 2023
Viruses:

Meaning if you have a job paying Ā£25/hr for instance, even without packing extra shifts, you will earn more than someone working Ā£10/hr and is parking shift left, right and center.

My advice to immigrants is instead of packing shifts upandan with the intent of having money, look for that job that will pay you more with less work.

wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (540) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Lefty500, 080bjaked(m), pushup, wallg123, ooty, Hope2019, sconp, lavida001, Lexusgs430, Goodenoch and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.