Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (264) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463840 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Igbamatigbi: 12:21pm On Oct 26, 2023
EPEAKS:
Good Afternoon All,

I need your advice. Ok so I got a job to resume today on a salary of over 50k. I even signed a contract. Everything went well until I was asked to provide NIN. I came in to UK just last month and I applied for NIN on the 17th of this month. I shared my right to work code and BRP, however, since then I have heard nothing.

When I called HR, they referred me to my recruiter. I tried calling the recruiter but until now he has not called back. I used another number to call to see if perhaps my number was blocked as call kept being busy. Recruiter called back on that line but I did not pick. He is still yet to call my own number he has.

I feel so sad at the moment as it was a reputable Company.

Any word of encouragement or advice will do. Please note that I am a Dependent (Student Visa).

The office can allow you work while you wait for your NIN, it happened to me too.
Biko which job is paying 50k I know they are many out there is it tech? πŸ€—πŸ€—
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 12:27pm On Oct 26, 2023
Lexusgs430:

In the interim, whilst looking for longer lasting alternative source(s) of income........ Do you have a driving licence.......

If you do, look into Amazon logistics, Uber eats, deliveroo, just eat etc etc ..... This are very flexible and you can fit in free time, to raise extra funds.....

I mentioned a few month's ago, that we men, are not supermen..... Women should financially support more...... Don't be afraid to ask for a 50:50 bill split or 60:40(to your wife), if your wife earns more......

I have heard of over 5 Nigerian men that simply slumped and died (in the last 3 months) ..... In the past year, over 8 Nigerian men .......

Don't make yourself a statistic .........

Good afternoon. I don't have a license yet, but presently studying for my theory test as i got to know that having a license and driving a car is an advantage in the job sector here in the uk. And thank you for the encouragement, i won't make myself a statistic. God bless you sir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adeolaspecial: 12:29pm On Oct 26, 2023
Good afternoon to everyone..i want to appreciate you all for your input, advice and motivations. I so much needed it. I'm more of an introvert and i needed a platform to pour out my heart and seek for advice, and I must say, a lot of it has encouraged me to fight harder. I can't start to mention you all one after the other, but i would say you all are amazing and keep up the good work. I am relieved. This Uk will favor us all.

20 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2023
Thank you so much. I just got a call from the Company that the NIN issue has been resolved. I am a lawyer and it is a Legal Advisor Role. But it is a Fixed Term Contract na why. Thank you for once again
Igbamatigbi:

The office can allow you work while you wait for your NIN, it happened to me too.
Biko which job is paying 50k I know they are many out there is it tech? πŸ€—πŸ€—

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 12:52pm On Oct 26, 2023
This has been resolved. Thanks a lot all. It was a trying moment for me. I am grateful for the encouragement.

EPEAKS:
Good Afternoon All,

I need your advice. Ok so I got a job to resume today on a salary of over 50k. I even signed a contract. Everything went well until I was asked to provide NIN. I came in to UK just last month and I applied for NIN on the 17th of this month. I shared my right to work code and BRP, however, since then I have heard nothing.

When I called HR, they referred me to my recruiter. I tried calling the recruiter but until now he has not called back. I used another number to call to see if perhaps my number was blocked as call kept being busy. Recruiter called back on that line but I did not pick. He is still yet to call my own number he has.

I feel so sad at the moment as it was a reputable Company.

Any word of encouragement or advice will do. Please note that I am a Dependent (Student Visa).

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2023
EPEAKS:
This has been resolved. Thanks a lot all. It was a trying moment for me. I am grateful for the encouragement.

Oya do giveaway / tithes, and offerings for the ministry to move forward

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2023
Igbamatigbi:

Fraud Analytics can pay up to that too

wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 1:12pm On Oct 26, 2023
No problem, after we pay the balance of school fees for the Student I will wink. University of Edinburgh School fees is really choking. Who send us and the naira were banking on is best left in Naija with these ridiculous exchange rates.

hustla:

Oya do giveaway / tithes, and offerings for the ministry to move forward

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2023
How can one become a Fraud Analyst oh! This is a good one. I can switch my career.

hustla:

Fraud Analytics can pay up to that too

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:22pm On Oct 26, 2023
EPEAKS:
How can one become a Fraud Analyst oh! This is a good one. I can switch my career.

Well, Fraud Analyst roles are quite easy to get into (relatively) and can be used as a starting point.

Analyst is different from Analytics though. Think they require knowledge of SQL, Tableau and Python for Analytics roles. I think its a bit similar to BA roles

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:22pm On Oct 26, 2023
EPEAKS:
No problem, after we pay the balance of school fees for the Student I will wink. University of Edinburgh School fees is really choking. Who send us and the naira were banking on is best left in Naija with these ridiculous exchange rates.

Changing Naira to GBP to pay sch fees in this Tinubu age isn't beans

Got only #15 naira in my naija account grin

Yeye currency
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by amorprincesa: 1:23pm On Oct 26, 2023
Thank you
deept:

Open a currency account USD with your bank in the UK and do a direct Forex transfer to the account from your dorm acct. Charges apply depends on your 9ja bank acct. I think for gtbank it's 14k telex charge plus 0.1% of amount you are transfering.

Transfer from your currency account to your GBP account using bank conversion rate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 1:38pm On Oct 26, 2023
Are the rates better than Lemfi please?

amorprincesa:
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 2:48pm On Oct 26, 2023
Please does anyone have experience with this Telematics AKA blackbox that reduces car insurance premium.

abeg advise me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 2:56pm On Oct 26, 2023
Tg

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 3:00pm On Oct 26, 2023
Hello people of grace … Which breakdown cover is the cheapest ? Somthing to hold body if car dey get headache
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:01pm On Oct 26, 2023
rinzylee:

Chief....abeg eh... drop parameters and normal levels of important indicators of health. Make we help dey improve the lifespan of our people here. UK no go see our end in Jesus Name.

Biko may we benefit from your expertise sir.

Thank you

I personally think 120 to 135 systolic, is a safe margin, once it's creeping over 140, keep an eye (you might be hypertensive)......

For your diastolic, it should be under 80 ..........

Oxygen saturation - 100% (best reading)..... Below 88% (very risky), unless you're a diagnosed COPD (smoker's, don't kill your lungs)........😁

Heart rate/pulse - Under 98 is good, above 98 you are simply sending your heart on a marathon, faster beating heart = excessive blood pumping rate = TIA, STROKE, CVA etc etc etc

Not forgetting temperature.... 36.1 - 37.2 (any lower or higher, keep am an eye on it .....,.. Sepsis is a silent killer.......

etc etc etc

Lessons on parameters, cannot be dealt within this response...... Just keep an eye on your health......πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 3:02pm On Oct 26, 2023
Xx

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 3:05pm On Oct 26, 2023
🀣🀣🀣😹😹😹
kode12:

If you’re a Nigerian in the UK, especially one with a visa, Israel-Palestine conflict doesn’t concern you. Keep your opinions to yourself and in your pocket.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:05pm On Oct 26, 2023
Efftyy:
Hello people of grace … Which breakdown cover is the cheapest ? Somthing to hold body if car dey get headache

Breakdown cover is not for when car dey get headache........ It's for when your car don get Heart attack..........😜

For headache, you need a mechanic......😜

They all offer same levels of service, look for one that suits you and register it far away from home.......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 3:08pm On Oct 26, 2023
Ff

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 3:23pm On Oct 26, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Breakdown cover is not for when car dey get headache........ It's for when your car don get Heart attack..........😜

For headache, you need a mechanic......😜

They all offer same levels of service, look for one that suits you and register it far away from home.......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

Thank you boss. Doing Nationwide recovery becos God know I will hustle well with this car
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2023
rowon:
Hi guys, I went to London from Scotland to capture for my international passport on 23rd of August . It was stated on one of the forms that collection date is 20th of October but up till this moment I have not received my passport. Please does any know how I can go about collecting my passport?

I did my capturing in London 26th of June. The passport was delivered two days ago 24th Oct.

From this calculation, just keep waiting till it is delivered.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 3:35pm On Oct 26, 2023
rowon:
Is there any way I can track it since we were asked to provide royal Mail delivery envelope
if u took a picture of the special delivery envelope then the tracking number is on it. Unfortunately the current waiting times for delivery are almost at 6 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2023
Chinlov:
Please does anyone have experience with this Telematics AKA blackbox that reduces car insurance premium.

abeg advise me

I have been using it no issues.

The aim is to check if you will drive carelessly, will you drive carelessly? No.

Things they check are overspending, harsh acceleration, harsh breaking, use of phone while driving, sharp turning.

In the one I use, the app came with a score of 100, if I commit any of the offences listed above during a trip, they deduct 1 mark. They will call my attention when my score drops below 30. Each offence resets after 2 weeks. It means that before they will call my attention, I would have committed a combination of these offenses 70 times across about 70 trips within 2 weeks. Infact anybody that does that needs to go back to driving school.

I have been driving the way I would drive without it. I will say go for it.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I personally think 120 to 135 systolic, is a safe margin, once it's creeping over 140, keep an eye (you might be hypertensive)......

For your diastolic, should be under 80 ..........

Oxygen saturation - 100% (best reading)..... Below 88% (very risky), unless you're a diagnosed COPD (smoker's, don't kill your lungs)........😁

Heart rate/pulse - Under 98 is good, above 98 you are simply sending your heart on a marathon, faster beating heart = excessive blood pumping rate = TIA, STROKE, CVA etc etc etc

Not forgetting temperature.... 36.1 - 37.2 (any lower or higher, keep am an eye on it .....,.. Sepsis is a silent killer.......

etc etc etc

Lessons on parameters, cannot be dealt with in this response...... Just keep an eye on your health......πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

Thank you Chief.... you do well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rowon(m): 5:37pm On Oct 26, 2023
Ok . thanks
Viruses postg=126628601:

I did my capturing in London 26th of June. The passport was delivered two days ago 24th Oct.

From this calculation, just keep waiting till it is delivered.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:07pm On Oct 26, 2023
EPEAKS:

Thanks for the update, congratulations on a great start in the UK. All the best in the new role
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by sugarkemi(m): 7:14pm On Oct 26, 2023
Good evening,

I am seeking assistance, as I've been actively applying for IT jobs. While I have received offers from certain agencies, I had to decline them due to the nature of the positions. I was advised that having a UK-based company that I can use as reference could enhance my job prospects. With 10 years of IT experience in Nigeria, I would greatly appreciate any help or guidance that someone can provide.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EPEAKS: 7:16pm On Oct 26, 2023
Thank you for your kind words.

Goke7:

Thanks for the update, congratulations on a great start in the UK. All the best in the new role
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Luada(m): 7:32pm On Oct 26, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Trading is not a venture any honest person should advise a struggling individual to go into. Whether starting small or starting big, trading is NEVER something you should advise someone without disposable funds to go into if you’re truly honest about it. It’s not about smartness, if you like know all the trading strategies in this world, losing money in trading is INEVITABLE.

And for someone struggling, losing even a penny is not even on the table, so why advise such to a person like that ??

Understand the point you are trying to make.

But, they is one thing i want to say you can't wait till you get disposable money before you start something like trading, i know how many business i tried and failed, lost buisness worth millions.

But you can't wait still you have enough for spare before you start trading, cause you will never have enough.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 7:59pm On Oct 26, 2023
Thanks a lot, really appreciate

Viruses:

I have been using it no issues.

The aim is to check if you will drive carelessly, will you drive carelessly? No.

Things they check are overspending, harsh acceleration, harsh breaking, use of phone while driving, sharp turning.

In the one I use, the app came with a score of 100, if I commit any of the offences listed above during a trip, they deduct 1 mark. They will call my attention when my score drops below 30. Each offence resets after 2 weeks. It means that before they will call my attention, I would have committed a combination of these offenses 70 times across about 70 trips within 2 weeks. Infact anybody that does that needs to go back to driving school.

I have been driving the way I would drive without it. I will say go for it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.