Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460935 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 4:15pm On Oct 29, 2023
babajeje123:

It is not surprising that a mod is flagrantly violating one of the rules (1) of this platform. You exemplify Nigeria lawmakers who are at the same time law breakers. I'm certain you would hide this post if it was done by someone else and probably ban them too.
That said, saying tithing, a practice held in high esteem by Christians, is a scam online is highly insulting. In fact, this is cyber bullying and I'm not sure if this is what this platform is turning into.

Baba, please speak for yourself, not all Christians hold tithing (enriching the pastor) to high esteem. I have never paid tithe and will never ever do!!!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 4:15pm On Oct 29, 2023
dustydee:

It may be insulting but what if what if it's the truth?
A lot of people that preach it do it either out of ignorance or to scam people. That's why you hardly hear them teach the unfavourable passages about tithing. They also do not tell you that if you obey the law of tithing, you must obey all the other laws or you are cursed (No be me talk am, na bible).
People should study the bible and find out the following:
What is tithe?
Who should pay it?
Who should it be paid to?
How should it be paid?
When should it be paid?
If you start with these questions and sincerely answer them, people will be better informed.
Another potential scam that is creeping into chritianity is "first fruit". I once led a bible study where this was the topic and I could not teach it because the references given in the manual did not in anyway support it and they "twisted" it to fit the narrative. Years later, I attended an oyinbo church and the preacher tocuhed on first fruit and how it was done and my eyes opened. I asked him after the service about paying first fruit and his question to me was "Is it an African thing?" I was the second African to ask him about that. Since then I have not paid it.

I agree with your post above.
I am a Christian. And yes, I do pay 1/10th of my earnings as tithe. It is my way of helping the kingdom of God. It is my religious belief. You you may not agree with it hook-line-and-sinker, but it is what I have chosen to do. Because I love God.

But that someone will come and start pitying me, or even pitying my children is to say the least, nonsense. It’s my money. I did not steal it. I earned it. I decide what I want to do with it. How it is someone’s headache is what I don’t understand. And mind you, I’ve never ever asked this someone for shishi. I have never begged. I have never gone to food bank. I have never paid credit card interest. So why is it a problem to someone?

What happened to respect for others, including their religious beliefs?
I do not see my leaving Nigeria to the UK as an ‘escape’ . Why is someone crying more than the bereaved?

Shuooooo

Let’s have some sanity on this thread please.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:18pm On Oct 29, 2023
Phil46:

Oh thank you so much. In other words, it's not so realistic to process it from Nigeria, right?

On paper, a good chunk can be done while in Nigeria but most professional pathways are easier when the person is already in the UK.

It's still relatively new and I've not encountered anyone who has gone thru successfully. The wider house could help

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 4:20pm On Oct 29, 2023
To see that the person who opened this thread Fatima004 is actually a Muslim. Who created a thread to help NigeriaNs in the UK. But suddenly, the thread is constantly being used by some who hate some ‘versions’ of Christianity to write what they dare not write on their own Facebook or Whatsapp statuses.

Persons who are spurred on, and emboldened by the person(s) who is/are supposed to be the moderator(s) on the thread.
It’s a pity.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2023
Phil46:
Guys

I'm in a dilemma regarding my tuition and will need your advice please.

I'm in the last semester of my master's and have about £2500 outstanding. The problem is I've been changing naira to pounds to pay to this stage since Form A became unreliable. I'm left with the hope of 2m which is just around £1400 at the current black market rate.

Some universities carry on with just little balance left. My school then allowed someone with 1k balance graduate and get certificate. But the person with 2k was not allowed to graduate until amount was paid.

I believe there is a fraction debt that can be accepted. I have a feeling less than 5% balance can be accepted. I may be wrong as that was the core covid period and the considerations/flexibility from organization were high.

You can write your school to set up a payment plan for the 2500. These can be broken into 3 or 6 months. That will leave you some time to strategize the balance while you pay from your 1400 to the installment set up. No over stress yourself, you need your composure to pass and start work.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Monaboo(m): 4:33pm On Oct 29, 2023
People in UK gather here

What do u use to cook in your kitchen?

In Nigeria, we use firewood or gas.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 4:39pm On Oct 29, 2023
BouharryArtikou:

I agree with your post above.
I am a Christian. And yes, I do pay 1/10th of my earnings as tithe. It is my way of helping the kingdom of God. It is my religious belief. You you may not agree with it hook-line-and-sinker, but it is what I have chosen to do. Because I love God.

But that someone will come and start pitying me, or even pitying my children is to say the least, nonsense. It’s my money. I did not steal it. I earned it. I decide what I want to do with it. How it is someone’s headache is what I don’t understand. And mind you, I’ve never ever asked this someone for shishi. I have never begged. I have never gone to food bank. I have never paid credit card interest. So why is it a problem to someone?

What happened to respect for others, including their religious beliefs?
I do not see my leaving Nigeria to the UK as an ‘escape’ . Why is someone crying more than the bereaved?

Shuooooo

Let’s have some sanity on this thread please.
Now that's the spirit. Our religious leaders should be honest with people and say it like you have said it instead of blackmailing people by saying they are robbing God or that their wealth will be devoured by the enemy. Tithing was introdcued in the church to help with things like paying salaries but it should have just been called offerring. When I stopped paying tithe, I noticed that my giving increased beynd my tithe and offering.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 4:39pm On Oct 29, 2023
BorisJohnson:

Why is it paining you that someone is using his legally earned money to pay tithe?
Izzit your money?

Enjoy your £50k salary in peace.
Leave this tithe matter.

If your aim is to help/enlighten members of this thread, please, write a post about how you landed a 50k job within 6 weeks of arrival to the uk.
The insights you provide will be very useful. And posterity will remember you.

Stop over flogging this tithe matter.

Please help us with nuggets from your experience . Thank you.

Tithe is discussed here and everyone is entitled to their opinion and stand on tithe. It doesn't have to be his money before he speaks. Rubbish is rubbish regardless of how you sugar-coat it.

Getting a 50k job in 6weeks of landing ain't a biggie if one plays his/her card well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 4:46pm On Oct 29, 2023
Chreze:

Some universities carry on with just little balance left. My school then allowed someone with 1k balance graduate and get certificate. But the person with 2k was not allowed to graduate until amount was paid.

I believe there is a fraction debt that can be accepted. I have a feeling less than 5% balance can be accepted. I may be wrong as that was the core covid period and the considerations/flexibility from organization were high.

You can write your school to set up a payment plan for the 2500. These can be broken into 3 or 6 months. That will leave you some time to strategize the balance while you pay from your 1400 to the installment set up. No over stress yourself, you need your composure to pass and start work.

Thank you very much for the detailed advice. I will make the payment and then write them on payment plan. Though I'd done that already to which they replied they can't allow beyond December (end of course). But with the situation now I doubt either of us has much choice. I'll keep engaging them and try not to worry about it too much. Many thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 4:48pm On Oct 29, 2023
jedisco:

On paper, a good chunk can be done while in Nigeria but most professional pathways are easier when the person is already in the UK.

It's still relatively new and I've not encountered anyone who has gone thru successfully. The wider house could help

Hmnn I see.
Thank you. I'll advise the person accordingly.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2023
hustla:

Would be better to pay what you have and then call them up to explain the situation

£1400 leaves you with some small balance and that's easier to explain to them and buy time with

smiley

Thanks hustla
I'll do so and then keep engaging them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:53pm On Oct 29, 2023
genkins:

As usual,they escape thru the back door when fact stares them in the face.
Guy,if u like give your money to your pastor ,las las na rolce Royce e ko de drive.
Use am knack ya mama,ya wife,your sisters and daughters...u ko still de call am..'my papa'...since sense is far from you.

Religion is a very bad thing .Nigerian version is an abomination

Dude... you need to calm down and learn to respond responsibly. In you workplace you'd be hyper nice to a cleaner but come here and insult people's parents.

It's interesting that an initial phase many fresh immigrants go thru is one that sees them insult and belittle Nigeria or worship the white man forgetting that they are a direct reflection of Africa/Nigeria. I've lost count of how many times its happened here.

@justwise do review

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 5:01pm On Oct 29, 2023
genkins:

Your kids should be ashamed of their papa.such a senseless postulation

This right here is uncalled for and below the belt. Why should his kids be ashamed of their dad exercising his belief? I don't pay tithe and also believe many religious leaders are manipulative about their preaching on it. But that will never make me see myself as smarter or wiser than those who do. I believe we're all adults here and can criticise, argue and debate on any topic with decorum and civility.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2023
Phil46:

Thanks hustla
I'll do so and then keep engaging them.

Yes boss
All the best wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:10pm On Oct 29, 2023
dustydee:

A lot of people that preach it do it either out of ignorance or to scam people. That's why you hardly hear them teach the unfavourable passages about tithing. They also do not tell you that if you obey the law of tithing, you must obey all the other laws or you are cursed (No be me talk am, na bible).
What is tithe?
Who should pay it?
How should it be paid?
When should it be paid?

If you start with these questions and sincerely answer them, people will be better informed.
Another potential scam that is creeping into chritianity is "first fruit". I once led a bible study where this was the topic and I could not teach it because the references given in the manual did not in anyway support it and they "twisted" it to fit the narrative. Years later, I attended an oyinbo church and the preacher tocuhed on first fruit and how it was done and my eyes opened. I asked him after the service about paying first fruit and his question to me was "Is it an African thing?" I was the second African to ask him about that. Since then I have not paid it.

Are you really expecting them to answer these questions?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2023
Progressivegee:

Omo make una no vex o, this is not bad bellerism or jealousy. But I just dey wonder say for this nairaland everybody dey earn above 50k. E dey surprise me say nobody here dey earn the average UK pay or even below because all the salary we dey see na 50k and above. Na so someone say him dey earn £49k but the money no dey reach do anything cos him dey repay debt to the wife for bringing him to the UK. The advice he got on this thread is to dust his CV and look for a higher paying job.

To those who are still trying to settle and manage their life in the UK, no let all this big figures for this thread make you come dey put unnecessary pressure on yourself or look down on your current hustle o. E get why. With time, everywhere go stew.

I say make I drop my own 2 cent from my monthly one tenth 😀

Why do you think £50k is a big deal and intimidates those that are yet to settle? So many factors (such as industry, experience, position, etc) drives salaries of this amount and over...

Go back and read again, folks here also earn the average you are so certain no one here makes. Someone here quoted £1,600 take home, another corroborated.

Personally, I don't see £50k as such a big pay and hope no one here gets indimidated if someone quotes it or some higher figure.

No your worth and negotiate accordingly!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 5:16pm On Oct 29, 2023
babajeje123:

I paid mine yesterday and will continue to pay till I die. If my pastor channels it to what doesn't glorify God, that is his own headache not mine.

This says a lot about you... Really a very poor way of reasoning.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:25pm On Oct 29, 2023
toughest007:

Why do you think £50k is a big deal and intimidates those that are yet to settle? So many factors (such as industry, experience, position, etc) drives salaries of this amount and over...

Go back and read again, folks here also earn the average you are so certain no one here makes. Someone here quoted £1,600 take home, another collaborated.

Personally, I don't see £50k as such a big pay and hope no one here gets indimidated if someone quotes it or some higher figure.

No your worth and negotiate accordingly!

I’ve seen people mention lower salaries here more and no one says anything but the moment someone mentions a higher salary, their nipples get hard and they start to talk about not letting these salaries pressure people. Instead of them to just confirm say na them dey feel the pressure. Some of these well paid jobs post the ads with the salary range so I wonder why it’s so difficult to believe that Africans are also filling out some of these roles.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by genkins(m): 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2023
BorisJohnson:

You are becoming a huge nuisance with this senselessness. Grow up please. That Nairaland is a faceless forum doesn’t mean you can be spewing such nonsense about people and their religious beliefs.

I'm sorry for the guy sha.this belief that impoverishes our people but guys like that NSPDD guy smiles to the bank..it's annoying when you hear them saying things like..'it is my belief'...how did you come to believing what you believe?that it was passed by our ignorant parents to us or by our dubious pastors to us,can't you think for yourselves?

Have you done a personal research to find out if what u believe is a truth or a lie?or it doesn't matter since it is your belief.

You get agitated when your belief is countered with facts but tommorow you judge people for blowing up themselves for their belief.cant you see that you are just like them?you need to be saved.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2023
Thats very mean of you ,Doctor.

You should know what happens to Looked-after Children.

Gosh, i hope she finds a solution that works for her and her child. It sounds like she is already doing the utmost ( only been out twice this year and all )
rinzylee:

There was no need to drag the church or someone's service to God over a simple matter.

Why not address the issue and the person?

What did quoting scripture or carrying church on the head have to do with the topic?

Being careful is not equal to spreading fear.

I hope the day police takes away that lady's child, we will dig up this chat.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 5:36pm On Oct 29, 2023
toughest007:

This says a lot about you... Really a very poor way of reasoning.
You guys will rant tayad. I go pay my tithe and if my pastor chop am, na him cup of tea. Mine is just to obey God.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 6:00pm On Oct 29, 2023
babajeje123:

You guys will rant tayad. I go pay my tithe and if my pastor chop am, na him cup of tea. Mine is just to obey God.

Not ranting mate! Just that what you have been spewing never ceases to amaze me.

Imagine saying you careless how the quids you work hard to earn is used. Isn't this a foolhardy way of reasoning?

That lady will come and ask if it's my money... To answer in advance, the money isn't mine, but the reasoning is what alarms me.

Things like this disgusts me and should disgust any right thinking mind!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by genkins(m): 6:03pm On Oct 29, 2023
toughest007:

Not ranting mate! Just that what you have been spewing never ceases to amaze me.

Imagine saying you careless how the quids you work hard to earn is used. Isn't this a foolhardy way of reasoning?

That lady will come and ask if it's my money... To answer in advance, the money isn't mine, but the reasoning is what alarms me.

Things like this disgusts me and should disgust any right thinking mind!!!

Thier reasoning is very disgusting.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2023
dustydee:

What is tithe?
Who should pay it?
How should it be paid?
When should it be paid?
See, I know what you are talking about and I have asked those questions before. The first issue is why Justwise is always using tithe to derail this thread? It's so unfortunate to have him as a mod as he is always failing upholding the rules of this platform once a discuss is against what he stands for. There is a religion section where we all can go to to argue for or against tithing.

That said, you don't disseminate your seemingly truth by insulting others. No one will accept it. You can't also force others to accept your truth as it may be senseless to them. So you can only encourage people to see from your perspective and if they refuse you let them be.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gloriouscrown: 6:23pm On Oct 29, 2023
Solumtoya:

Thanks. I learnt so much in the Mortgage process that I will definitely share here someday. So much has changed in how Visa holder's applications are being handled that we need to be aware of early enough.

Hi Solumtoya,

Kindly share these tips 🙏🏾
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 6:25pm On Oct 29, 2023
babajeje123:

See, I know what you are talking about and I have asked those questions before. The first issue is why Justwise is always using tithe to derail this thread? It's so unfortunate to have him as a mod as he is always failing upholding the rules of this platform once a discuss is against what he stands for. There is a religion section where we all can go to to argue for or against tithing.

That said, you don't disseminate your seemingly truth by insulting others. No one will accept it. You can't also force others to accept your truth as it may be senseless to them. So you can only encourage people to see from your perspective and if they refuse you let them be.

You have Justwise derangement syndrome disease.

Anytime an argument is going on here and i'm involved you will definitely jump in to shout bullying and moderatorship..i mean this has been the case for years

You failed to answer a single question asked by dustydee but wasted the opportunity to moan about Justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2023
When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2023
hustla:
When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land

- Bishop Desmond Tutu

grin

grin grin grin
Sharp people lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2023
Hi good people .

Please I tried applying for American express card.
But I haven’t use more than a year in the UK, the application kept asking me to put my second address,my Nigeria address kept being rejected .
Pls how can I go about it.
Thank you

And someone asked about Capital one card . Is the card okay ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tushqueen(f): 7:00pm On Oct 29, 2023
Please how long does it take to hear from Canadian embassy when applying for a visit visa from the UK. The silence is deafening,no update in any form from them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2023
LionInZion:

grin grin grin
Sharp people lol

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:06pm On Oct 29, 2023
Efftyy:
Hi good people .

Please I tried applying for American express card.
But I haven’t use more than a year in the UK, the application kept asking me to put my second address,my Nigeria address kept being rejected .
Pls how can I go about it.
Thank you

And someone asked about Capital one card . Is the card okay ?

To me, they're all the same.. So far you pay your tithes on it when due grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 080bjaked(m), kwell(m), Globalshaper, OlaLiberty(m), toughest007 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.